We'll be Okay

We'll be Okay

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Two

 

 

 

 

 

Hey, you remember me? You sort of paid for my groceries the last time? Let’s go grocery date.

 

Pffft.

 

Hey, Jieun, right? Here’s your umbrella. Thank you; I made it home not very drenched yesterday. Well I was already wet but I wasn’t getting wetter thanks to your umbrella.

 

Nope.

 

Taemin was fidgeting, his palms were wet and he couldn’t stay still. Some kids he knew greeted him and he tried to smile but it came out as a grimace instead. He felt glued to the spot. After asking some of his friends, he finally gained some basic info about Jieun, and more. She turned out to be in the same grade with him, apparently the head of the choir club. She also had pretty good guitar skill, and most importantly single. With the knowledge of these things he finally decided to make a move.

 

Hey you remember when you have to pay for that kid’s grocery? He didn’t have his wallet you know. Now he does, and he wanted to pay back your money with a lunch? Or dinner, which one do you prefer?

Lee Taemin, you're hopeless.

 

Ah, it.

 

“Excuse me,” he grabbed someone’s hand that just came out from the supposedly Jieun’s class room. The girl starred at him blankly for a moment before she gasped and blinked a lot. Weird.

“Y—yes?”

“Is this Lee Jieun’s class room?” He asked.

And that was a yes or no question, it didn’t require too much reaction or anything, she could just say it while standing there so Taemin couldn’t understand as to why this Baek Suji even jumped at her spot and ran inside, leaving his hand hanging awkwardly in the air. Not a split second later he heard the same voice that just talked at him shouted behind the door, “OH MY GOD YOU’RE NOT LYING LEE TAEMIN REALLY DID MAKE YOU PAY FOR HIS GROCERIES OH MY GOD HE IS SO ASKING YOU OUT OH MY GOD I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU’LL BE THE GIRL I ENVY YOU SO MUCH OH MY GOD I mpppfffhtttddddmmmmbbbbhhhwwmwmwmmb,”

He wished he could pick his time of death. That would be now.

“Hey,” A goddess with a honey-like voice greeted him.

Death would have to wait.

“Taemin, right? Please pardon my best friend, she’s… energetic,” She looked a little bit embarrassed herself, her cheeks dusted a pretty pink.

“It’s no big deal,” It was, but second impression must be cool and composed (because his first impression was not something he wanted to remember). “Here,” He muttered as he handed her the umbrella, “I can’t keep it, it’s too much,”

Jieun accepted it and nodded. “It’s really ok though, but thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

The bell rang.

.

“Jieun, look. I’m really sorry, I know I probably made you late last time. But please let me make it up to you. We can go to this cafe downtown, do you drink coffee? They have it really good. Do you have time today?”

“No,”

Taemin gulped. No.

“Would tomorrow be okay? My club’s regeneration is today, and I really can’t skip it,”

Oh? Oh wait so he wasn’t dead yet? Wow. Okay. “Okay? Sure, tomorrow’s fine. Um, I’ll text you?” he said hurriedly, because he saw the teacher turning the hall. He gave Jieun his phone, who typed in fast; she had seen the teacher too. “You should go back to your class,” She said after giving him his phone back. “Yeah I’m, I’ll see you tomorrow?” Taemin asked anxiously.

Jieun smiled. It didn’t cause his heart to ram to his chest, but it was beautiful. He was not in love yet, but he could feel it coming, and he happily welcomed it with open arms.

“See you tomorrow,” She said, nodding.

“You go in first,”

“Okay,” She gave him one last smile and went in.

 

 

 

“Lee Taemin, what are you doing here? Don’t you hear the bell? Go to your class!”

“Yes ma’am.”

 

 

 

::

 

 

Taemin sipped his coffee leisurely. It was a rare Saturday in which he wasn’t with Jongin doing school work. It was weird, now that he thought about it. Jongin was never school work. Jongin was good marks. He never bother to do homework but he always aced exams and tests; one of the rare people that understood lessons from only one time listening. Jongin never study at home, never jut down notes but he paid good attention to class every time. Last few months though, Jongin did it. He started to actually ask for a study together rather than just eat outs or hang out. Saying that he wanted a good grade on his last year but Taemin was well aware it wasn’t it though he never said it. because Jongin had a good grade. It was the main reason why Mrs. Do never complained of him being out so late at night. It was more and Taemin thought he knew exactly what it was: Jongin wanted to be a good boy.

Why, Taemin didn’t know. He had asked but Jongin always avoided the point. He put up with it, though, because this change in Jongin was actually positive and besides, he got to spend more time together with the younger. They fell into a pattern, in which they meet more often in a week than they’d ever been before and so far they hadn’t ditched each other. Jongin changed it though.

The younger had ungracefully bailed on him, even before Taemin told him about the date with Jieun. That bastard didn’t even call, only sent him a text (one text! Not replied to his text later and not picking his calls either) stating he was in the mood of sleeping his weekend away, which was an utter and complete bull. Taemin knew it was still the same issue from the day Jongin returned his wallet, all the sad smile, sad face. What he didn’t get though was why Jongin wouldn’t let him in. the younger was a natural whiner, he always needed someone with him to listen to his complaints when he felt troubled. So why did Jongin not call him in and pushed him out instead?

“You look deep in thought,” A voice called. Taemin looked up.

Jieun’s hair was chocolate brown, the sun shining down complimenting it. She wore a fairly nice dress, no shocking color in sight and the skirt wasn’t so high. She got class and he liked it.

“Hey. Please sit down.” He smiled one of his one million dollar smiles (he got plenty).

Jieun sat down gracefully, (everything she did was graceful to Taemin) and called one of the waitress. She ordered her drink and dish without checking up the menu on the table.

“I actually go here a lot too,” She told him when she saw his questioning stare. Taemin’s eyes lit up.

“You do? Have you tried their pastas? It’s awesome isn’t it?”

“It is! My favorite’s the ravioli. You like the pasta here too? I thought you’re into the coffee.”

Taemin chuckled. “I am, I rarely eat when I order drinks actually, but Jongin eats all the time so I get to taste them once in a while. I’m pretty sure he had tried all kinds of pasta they serve here,”

Jieun has an eye smile, her head would tilt to the left a little when she laughed and it was adorable. Taemin thought they opened up fairly easy to each other which was a huge relieve. He could not handle awkwardness—that had always been Jongin’s part.

“Ah, Jongin was that guy that looks like you, isn’t he?” She looked far, trying to remember.

“Yeah, my so called best friend. You know him?” Did they actually know each other? Was Jieun actually one of Jongin’s play things? It crossed his mind in a short flash.

She shook her head no. “Heard of. Just as much as I heard of you.”

“… I don’t know how bad people’s sayings about us, but they’re all lies please don’t believe them,”

Jieun laughed heartily at that. It was sincere, not one of those faked sickeningly sweet smile girls use to flirt. She was even prettier when smiling.

“No, actually what I heard was the good ones,”

“Yeah?”

“Mhmm,”

“You know, I’m always curious of my rumors and Jongin,”

“Are you stating you’re famous right now?” She narrowed her eyes teasingly, a hint of smile on her lips. It surprised him, by all means. If he didn’t see her in the eyes he would think she meant it bad. Taemin smirked. This could be fun. He lied back on his chair like a boss.

“I don’t know, you tell me.”

“Oh really now?” she playfully replied.

 

Their conversation flowed smoothly after that, no forced topic and nothing too personal either. Jieun was the kind of person that makes you feel at ease, so easy to talk to. If she was holding back, Taemin really couldn’t tell. They mostly talked about school, figuring out how much they shared the same people in their circle. It turned out they have so many friends in common, almost like they were the opposite sides; the students he hang out with usually did school tasks and had learning groups with Jieun, and the people that hang out with her were the ones Taemin would go to when it’s about school. The two kept on doing this, finding out more about each other from the outer layer, one by one, slow but sure.

 

Taemin ended up paying for everything of course, although not without a fight from Jieun.

“You do know you only owe me ramyuns, right?” She held his lower arm gently.

The ramyuns were not even two fifth of her total amount that night. Taemin knew, and somehow deep down he was sure Jieun knew, too. The question was just a measure, Jieun’s way to make sure where things were going. Taemin could help with that.

“I do,” He certainly answered, as he took out some wons, and hold his wallet up so Jieun could see. “I got my wallet now.” It’s a date.

 

All and all, the day was eventful and pleasant. It was much better than how he expect things to go, but thigns got even better when he asked to walk her home. Jieun told her no.

“What? Why?” he wondered if he was going too fast. But wasn’t it common? Date or not, if you’re out with a girl, you got to make sure she’d get home safe. Surely Jieun knew that?

“Just, not now. Next time, alright?”

 

Next time.

 

Next time.

 

Taemin managed to bit back his grin just before it got creepy.

“Let’s lunch together on Monday.” He said, voice stern and absolute. Confidence level: Maximum.

Jieun burst out laughing. They were riding a bus and people averted their eyes to her and her laughing was silenced as she covered her face with both hands. But her shoulders were still shaking.

“What? What’s so funny?” he asked, smiling too because she was laughing and he was happy.

“Nothing, don’t mind it. And yes, I’d like lunch on Monday.”

 

 

::

 

 

The more he remembered his promise to Kyungsoo the more depressed he felt.

 

He saw Taemin today. Correction, he saw Taemin with Jieun today. All happy and bright and totally in their own little world, it had seemed like. Taemin made it, he guessed. It was so twisted that although he had gone through much more relationship than Taemin, the latter had a better progress with his person of interest (it wasn’t like he’d ever get any progress, anyway). The sight wasn’t as world-shattering as Jongin thought it would be, but it still hurt. Because although Taemin was playful to everyone, there were looks from Taemin that Jongin rarely seen, anybody ever seen. It was admiration, and care. Jealousy was a nasty thing to feel and he just didn’t want to face anything, anyone. Just like Kyungsoo, Jongin also looked forward to their plan this afternoon, but with his condition right now he had no clue on how to approach Taemin. He didn’t want to be a or worse, witness things he didn’t want to. He banged his head to the table. Everyone else had gone home, he was alone.

Or so he thought.

The chair beside his screeched and somebody sat down on it, a guy apparently, who put both feet on the table and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

 

“So how’s the whole ‘avoid Taemin like the plague’ plan working for you?”

Jongin shot up straight on his chair. Wow, small world. Should’ve known. Taemin showed up right when he was thinking about him. He would think of how they were soul mates with such coincidence if he didn’t feel so miserable about it. Ironic really. He blinked.

“Oh. So it’s ‘stop talking to lee Taemin’ too, now?”

Jongin blinked again. Where’s Jieun? He wanted to ask. Are you guys official yet? Please tell me you haven’t. He could feel Taemin slipping off his fingers and he hated it. He wished he could do something.

Taemin nodded, eyebrows lifting. “You do that.” He got up from the chair, and headed to the door although he didn’t make it far because Jongin then scrambled on his legs and swung Taemin’s shoulder so they were facing each other.

“Kyungsoo.” Jongin said. Taemin cocked one eyebrow. “He wants to see you. The park. Stroll.” Taemin was judging him hard. “Kyungsoo want to stroll down the park with us, like old times. I’m—I’m ditching our dance class.” He added, because Taemin was going to ask him anyway. “If you’re coming that is. You’re coming.” He wanted to slap himself. “I mean, you’re coming? He stomped on me and punched me a lot yesterday. It’s been really long too.”

They would go, right? He knew Taemin cared about Kyungsoo too much to let this one pass. Or was the older still mad at him? Well that was only fair, he hadn’t even apologized. But the park would be very nice and the weather was perfect today and a date to the park was a very interesting idea.

What date, Jongin.

Taemin cracked a smile eventually. “Must be really hurt,”

Jongin beamed. “Yeah, really hurt.”

 

::

 

His heart did somersaults because Taemin was here and they were spending time together. If he was lucky, maybe Taemin would sleep over too? There was a smile on his face that wouldn’t go away. Love does wonders.

“Awww, you love me that much don’t you Jongin? So happy that I’m here with you,” Taemin laughed.

Jongin flinched at how dead on the joke was, and Taemin didny miss it. And maybe it trigger soneyhing else, bcs then taemin asked a question that sebt jongin panicked.

 

“I think I’ve waited long enough.” Taemin said. “I let you pushed me away even,” he continued, “Now tell me what’s wrong.”

 

Um, my mom wants to have another baby and it made me antsy, because let’s be frank here Kyungsoo is really cute but he’s a lot. I mean how to handle two siblings seriously? They don’t teach that at school—

 

“I like someone.” Jongin blurted out. Oh , had he just say that?

“So? Date her. It’s not like she can reject you.” Taemin frowned. “I don’t see why you make such a big fuss—”

“I love someone.” Jongin snapped suddenly. It upset Jongin that Taemin still saw him as the player, because he tried real hard to stop. Hell, he already stopped. It took everything for Jongin to not flirt with girls considering their ways of throwing their selves at him because he needed Taemin to see him as someone worth his heart. Someone Taemin could see walking side by side with, holding hands, proud of. It hurt him that after all that he did, Taemin still think of him the same. It was more than two months already.

Taemin fell silent, and in that couple of seconds jongin somehow gained confidence. “I’m in love, Taemin. I’m in love and its—” unrequited, was hurt, and it was you, “—not something that I can tell you yet…?” dammit, what were you thinking, Kim Jongin? “I can’t tell you who this person is… that caused the pushing away thing.” Lie better. “You’ll find out eventually. And you'll be the first to know. Just not now.” Not all lies. Jongin patted himself in the back mentally, unaware of the storm happening in the other’s head.

“That means you’ll still be pushing me away tomorrow? Later?” Taemin snapped.

 “No, course not! I’m… I’m sorry.” He took a deep breath. “I was just… panicked... the other day. I don’t know what to do. Um, it… it won’t happen again?” Was Taemin angry? Well it would only be fair. Of course he was.

“You could’ve just told me this, you know. I won’t pester you. I’ll understand.”

“I know. I really am sorry.”

He heard Taemin sighed heavily. “Its fine I guess.”

 

 

“HYUNG!”

“KYUNGSOO!”

“HYUNG!”

“KYUNGSOO!”

“TAEMIN HYUNG!”

“DO KYUNGSOO!”

(Jongin face palmed.)

Kyungsoo ran from his spot on the rug in front of the TV, neglecting his game the same time Taemin dropped his backpack, ran from the doorway and met him in the middle. The older lifted Kyungsoo up high in an instant, spinning him in the air. Kyungsoo swung his feet fast back and forth, holding on tight to Taemin’s arms, laughing heartily. It was a fancy thing now, Taemin hyung’s visits. Because he was a grown up and grown-ups don’t have much time to play, Kyungsoo’s mother had told him.

Taemin hugged the little boy so hard and it was clear that he missed him too and Kyungsoo was still as squishy as ever. He bit Kyungsoo’s shoulder playfully, and Kyungsoo laughed loudly again. Jongin smiled, observing from the side. Things like this made him forget of his burdened mind. He could play pretend: Pretended that Taemin liked him, pretended that Taemin was trying his best to fit in Jongin’s family because he loved Jongin that much, though no real effort needed because everyone in his family loved Taemin already. And liking Jongin’s family would be the easiest because he had the best family in the world (both his dads were. Jongin’s dad passed away when he was five and his mother had remarried, to an equally kind man that was Mr. Do, Kyungsoo’s father). Just look at Kyungsoo. His laugh was infectious, his smile was beautiful and he was really cute and innocent. Who wouldn’t love him?

“Hyung I miss you so much, lets buy ice cream! Just the two of us okay? I’m not in the mood to play with Jongin hyung today,”

Nevermind.

“Sure! Let’s leave him home alone yeah? I’m also not in the mood to play with him.” Taemin glared at Jongin. Someone was not forgiven yet.

“I feel loved,” Jongin mocked.

“ICE CREAM!”

“LET’S GO!”

 

 

They were perched on one of the bench at the park (Kyungsoo sitting in between), grossly their ice cream. Jongin’s was chocolate, Kyungsoo’s was vanilla, and Taemin’s was strawberry. (Jongin had long refrained to tease the oldest about getting the pink dessert because Taemin never listened, never cared. He had strawberry ice cream and that was that.)

“Hyung I think the girl in the red dress is actually an elephant.” Kyungsoo said in a small voice, intended to sound mysterious.

“Which one.” Taemin replied just as mysterious, playing along.

“The one that’s standing close to the tree.”

“Is that her trunk?” Jongin pointed to her scarf.

“That’s right, Jongin hyung. Look at her feet. That’s too big for a girl’s feet.”

The hyungs ‘oooh’ed in approval, nodding dazedly with their eyes wide. Kyungsoo nodded smugly, because yeah, he knew he was a genius, thank you.

The two shared a knowing smile. It’d been such a long time ago since they could act and talk like mentals (or for Kyungsoo’s sake, with imagination). They used to go round the park and pointed at things and people. Be it a walking branch, a lollipop tree, or an elephant in a red dress. This right here, was all theirs. They wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Being able to see this side of Taemin, Jongin was grateful. This part of him was only for Jongin’s eyes to see, Jongin’s ears to hear, and Jongin’s heart to understand—to love. His chest constricted as he remind himself he was going to be replaced soon, and he must take all that the older could offer, because life was not fair but as long as Taemin was happy, everything else didn’t matter.

“Hey Soo, isn’t that Baekhyun?” Jongin asked, referring to a plump boy Kyungsoo’s age, clutching a ball to his chest.

Kyungsoo squinted his eyes, “…no.” he squinted further. “No, Baek is a bit taller. And his ears are bigger. And he’s more handsome.”

Taemin choked on air.

“What?!” He asked dramatically, “AM I SMELLING A CRUSH?! IS OUR KYUNGSOO HAVING A CRUSH HERE?! I’M HURT!”

Jongin just laughed loudly, getting people’s attention on him. While Kyungsoo, embarrassed now, buried his face deep in Taemin’s stomach and dug his nails on Taemin’s sides.

“Byun Baekhyun is Soo’s classmate. He made Soo went home once because he shouted in front of the class—“

“—NO!” Kyungsoo jumped, he was on Jongin’s lap now, trying so hard to shut his hyung by holding his hung’s lips harshly with each hands of his and pressed it together. Jongin’s eyes bulged out. “DMFHERGWUEHGPOSIFJWE!!”

Taemin barked like a dog, but then he circled his arms around Kyungsoo’s stomach, pulling him away from Jongin and to his embrace, holding him tight because Kyungsoo was still trying to reach his hyung’s mouth. Jongin was still holding his lips, looking scandalized. Didn’t Kyungsoo know how precious his lips are?! Girls would kill to get to kiss them off!

“Will you tell me about Baekhyun, Soo? I’m very curious. Please?”

Kyungsoo’s movement had ceased, arms crossed on his chest. He looked away from Jongin, his back to Taemin’s chest.

“Baekhyun is really mean,” Kyungsoo started, his face fell. Taemin ducked to peck the pout away. Jongin held on to the bench, nails digging violently to it to prevent himself form punching a baby because WHAT IS THIS WHY DID SOO GET TO KISS TAEMIN AND JONGIN DIDN’T. Plus, there were lots of baby around (it’s not like Jongin never peck Kyungsoo, because his pout was cute and everyone basically kissed Kyungsoo). “He teased me a lot. He took my crayons and drew on my drawing paper. He threw a bucket of sands to my sand castle. I hate him. And he,” Kyungsoo paused, “H-he said in front of the class tha-that he wants to—“ Kyungsoo took a deep breath—“marry me,”

Taemin told Kyungsoo later that he wanted to see Baekhyun, he needed to see what kind of guy dared to make a move on his Soo. Byun Baekhyun’s life would be miserable because if he really wants Kyungsoo, he must get acceptance from three different men: a Kim, a Lee, and a senior Do.

Kyungsoo yawned, their ice cream had long finished.

“You think we should head back? Detective Conan here seems tired,” Taemin asked.

Jongin nodded. Time flew fast by when you have fun.

 

 

After they had shower and dinner, and tucked Kyungsoo to bed, both boys settled on finishing some school task. It was pretty late so Taemin would sleep over. Mr. Do would drive him over in the early morning as he left for work.

“Yunho called. Asking why his main dancers didn’t show up in class. He shouted at me on the phone earlier.” Jongin said, writing down his homework.

“Jaejoong kicked him out again?”

“Probably. I pity those who attend class today. He must be in rage,”

“We should thank Kyungsoo,” Taemin said smiling.

Jongin snorted, not looking up from the books in front of him. “We should,”

He felt more than saw Taemin starring at him, and when he talked his voice was so delicate, almost fragile, Jongin was sure he never heard Taemin talked with that tone before.

“You’ve been studying a lot lately,” Taemin said, “When you said you’re going to study more I never it'd be to this extent you know," Those soft eyes were killing Jongin inside, "Did you change your preferred university?” They planned to go to Art University together, which didn’t require impressive grades, just skill and talent on their preferred Major.

“No,” Jongin answered carefully. He didn’t see Taemin closed his eyes, or inhale a deep breath.

“So it’s for her, then?”

Jongin held on to his pen for dear life. “Yes…”

“Oh.”

Jongin didn’t dare to look at Taemin in the eyes, but he knew he needed to tell the other about his ual preference.

 

They were sprawled on Jongin’s bed, his mother bought him a king sized one when she found out Taemin’s parent’s would move away. It was an unspoken necessity, although most of the time Jongin slept over at Taemin’s. Books tidy in their bags and the lights were out. Their backs were to each other, Jongin facing the wall and Taemin facing his dresser. They were both aware none of them were asleep yet.

“Taemin-ah?”

“Hmm?”

“What would you do… if… if I told you that… I’m—I’m gay?”

 

There was silence.

 

“You mean you don’t like girls anymore?”

 

Huh?

 

“Do you mean gay-gay or biual?” Taemin asked nonchalantly. “Because I’ve always known you’re bi-curious. We all know. Didn’t you have a small crush on that Chinese student during middle school?" tarmin rest on his back, scratching his neck, "What was his name, Mulan? Luhan? We talked about you you know, your mom and I, she thought Mulan was cute,” Taemin slapped his leg, probably a mosquito bit him. “At first we thought the reason you go from one girl to another was because he wouldn’t look at you,” he explained.

 

 

“WHAT?!?!!?!?”

Jongin sat up and propped on one arm, looking at Taemin’s silhouette. Jongin was straight! He was always straight! He was gay for one guy only! What was this thing, Taemin talked about him with his mother?! When did it even happened?! Luhan was cute, but it was just a small crush—it wasn’t a crush! And Jongin never even told anyone about it! There was no reason for his mother and best friend to discuss about it behind his back!

 

Right?

 

“Yeah. You were also in an acute denial. It was painful to watch, to be honest. You were all like Mulan this, Mulan that, Mulan—“

“—it’s LUHAN. I DID NOT HAVE A CRUSH ON HIM.”

Taemin rolled to his side so he was facing Jongin, propped on one elbow. There was a bored expression on his face.

And he was so, so beautiful. The moonlight did justice to his face features, Jongin was stunned and he knew he got it bad. Taemin’s eyes glistened and his nose sharp. The way his lips moved, the way his eyelashes fluttered, the way his chest rose up and down; it was all angelic.

His throat constricted and, god help him, he couldn't hold it back anymore.

 

“You even asked your mother to make you the same lunch," Taemin said, sounding disgruntled. "Like, always two tables from him on the cafeteria, what was that? I couldn’t even sit with my other friends because we just had to sit there," Taemin was unmistakably annoyed now, recalling his unpleasant lunches during the period of Luhan. "so you could have a perfect view, and you wouldn’t let me move because then Mulan will know that you were staring. Just—painful.”

“I'm in love with a boy,” Jongin choked out. His eyes were hot and his chest aching.

“He is so—he is perfect. He is caring and beautiful, and he's the best thing ever happened in my life. I seriously don’t know how to live if he ever walk out—he makes me think of things I never cared about before, do things I never cared to before.” He heart pumped faster at the wide-eyed Taemin, not expecting his sudden outburst and he couldn't care less what mess he had made out of himself because right now it hurt; everything hurt. “I think of how the girls I dated before could handle it all, you know? when I break it off. Because the man I love he—he’s all I ever want,” Jongin screw his eyes shut, “And all I’ll never have.”

Jongin's tears fell, he sobbed hard and Taemin pressed his hand to the back of Jongin’s head, pulling him down to his embrace. Jongin was suffocating, sobbing. It was already hard to breathe and add Taemin’s strong grip on his head and back, it was almost impossible to inhale but he didn’t complain because he needed this; he needed reassurance, he needed warmth, and he needed Taemin.

““What do I do?” He cried, what do I do to make you love me? “It hurts so much,” he whispered, tears kept on trailing down his nose bridge and temple. Taemin just hugged him closer.

 

 

Much later, when his crying had died down, and he was nestled comfortably in Taemin’s arms, he heard Taemin whispered to him.

“I’m sorry,” he murmured, “I’m sorry you have to go through this on your own, I’m sorry. But from now on, I’ll be here,” he said, fingers carding through Jongin’s hair, lulling him to sleep.

“And you should fight for it. If he’s the one, then you should fight. I’ll help too, okay? I want you to be happy,” Taemin’s hand on his head halted, and Jongin thought he felt the other’s body went rigid, but it quickly dissipated, “So go get him.” He seemed hesitating for a moment before he kissed Jongin’s forehead; much longer than any forehead kiss Jongin ever had.

 

That was all it takes.

 

He unconsciously nuzzled his nose further to Taemin’s neck.

 

I’ll fight for you, then.

 

You get ready.

 

 

::

 

 

Jongin’s old alarm clock blasted through, ripping the peaceful morning air, indicating a new day had just started. Both boys groaned and when Taemin felt a groan reverberating on his chest that was not his voice, he jerked awake.

The first thing he noticed was a mop? A pile of hair? A head. So this was a head. Why was there a head on his chest. He forced his brain to work; where was he? What time was it? What was his name?

It took him almost five minutes to collect his thoughts, that he was Taemin and his body parts were still intact and it was Tuesday and finally to Jongin. Last night was so chaotic. Last night, for a split second a weird feeling had bloomed in his chest, first he had felt threatened but as something that Jongin said, he had felt relieved instead. It was wrong, he knew, and he didn’t want to think about it at all. No, that’s for later. Later.

His heart ached as Jongin’s tears stained face filled his mind. He felt really bad now, he was the worst best friend ever. Jongin went through a lot of things and what had he done to help? None, nothing, na-da. It suddenly made sense, everything. Why Jongin looked so sad when he told him about Jieun. He had practically rubbed it on Jongin's face; because he was going well with Jieun and Jongin was not, with whoever it was.

But he still had to go to school.

He pushed Jongin’s shoulder up, so he could move. Jongin didn’t budge. He tried again, and Jongin held him stronger instead.

“Yah.”

Jongin hummed, snuggled his cheek to his chest, “Warm,” he murmured.

This rascal.

“Get—“ push, “—off—“ push, “—me—“ hit, “—UGH, Jongin!”

“Taemin-ah, it’s really cold,” Jongin rasped. He cried too much last night.

Guilt punched him hard. He squeezed Jongin’s body to his, wanting to prove his words last night; he’d be there. Whatever happened, he’d be there. Jongin squeezed him back and it made him smile.

 

But school.

“Jongin-ah, we’ll be late. I need to get my uniform,” he informed the other.

Jongin sighed he let Taemin go.

As Taemin left for bathroom, though, Jongin grabbed his wrist.

“My morning kiss.” He said lazily. Taemin’s jaw dropped open.

“…what…??”

“My morning kiss!” Jongin repeated, sounding annoyed as if he was three and his dad refused to piggy back him.

"Why would I give you a morning kiss?!”

“...I don’t know, maybe ‘cause somebody said he’ll be by my side from now on.” Jongin shrugged, his eyes were downcast.

Jongin was serious. What the hell.

Was this how it would be from now on?

But he wasn’t going to take back what he had said. He had decided to do this, and he’d do it right.

He had a feeling things would be much, much harder for him than it should be, but Jongin needed support. And love (although he knew Jongin wouldn’t want it as much as it would from the guy he loved but, Jongin had asked him, so it would help, right?)

He dipped one knee onto the bed, and put his hands on Jongin’s cheeks. Now now, there was something in the way Jongin stared at him, longing? Is that? —but why? Had it been there before? Maybe he read it wrong.

Gently, he pressed his lips to the younger’s forehead. He tried to not hurry, Jongin’s cheeks a couple times before he detached, but not pulling away.

“Good morning,” he mumbled to the skin that he kissed, for good measure.

…why was his heart thumping wildly?? was happening?!

It was Jongin’s hands that clutched to his sides that brought him back to reality. He pushed Jongin violently back to the bed.

“You .” he flicked Jongin's forehead.

"OW what’s that for?!"

He then left for the bathroom. He met Kyungsoo in the hallway. “Hyung!”

“Later okay, Soo? I need to use the bathroom.” Little Kyungsoo nodded and headed to Jongin’s room.

Kyungsoo pouted a little. Had he known Taemin hyung would sleep over, he’d sleep in his hyung’s room. He liked his hyung’s bed better too. He climbed up to it, seeing his hyung smiling stupid.

“Hyung?”

“yes baby?” Jongin kept on smiling. Kyungsoo’s head tilt to the side. “You look happy,”

“I am,” Jongin giggled.

“Okay. I’m happy too.”

“Okay.” Jongin said covering his eyes and giggled more like a school girl.

 

Kyungsoo hoped his hyung would laugh like this more, even though it was weird, but it was better than his teary eyes.

 

 

 

 

„Chapter Two”


 

Thank you so much for telling this is not because I really, really need that hehe