Chapter 3

I Am The Prince

“Hey, mom,” I gently nudge my mother’s ankles with mine under the table.

“What?” She whispers back, frowning at my distracted state.

“Is there a new keeper at the stables?”

“No, there isn’t,”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I am,”

“Absolutely sure?”

“Yes, now stop asking or—“

“Okay, okay, sorry,”

I’m kind of in the middle of something, but I can’t seem to stop wondering about the stable girl.  I’ve never noticed her before, that’s for sure.  But it might be me, but I mean, you know, the stable keepers look all the same, clad in riding outfits, hair tucked into hats, barely any words, except for the trainers and coaches.  The keepers are, well, wallflowers, I guess.

“What do I have after this?” I glance at my assistant, the one standing by my chair.

“You have, erm..”

“Well?”

“Nothing, prince.  You have nothing,”

“Wha—ow!”

I a breath through my teeth and look up to see the queen glaring at me.  My shin stung at the place where she had kicked me; with her heels.  I grimace and lower my head into the papers in my hand and once again look up to my assistant.  “Really?”

“Yes, prince,” He chuckles.

“Don’t laugh at me, Kai.  Set my schedule for the stables.  I want to go for a ride,”

“Very well, Kyungsoo,”

Do I want to go for a ride or what? I don’t realize I was giddily smiling to myself until the prime minister stood at the end of the table and dismissed the meeting while eyeing me like I was going nuts.  I cleared my throat and dismissed the stares the board members gave me, including the stares my mother is giving me.

Everybody leaves the room and I hurry too, grabbing my blazer and slipping my arms into it hurriedly.  Not only do I want to rush to the stables, I also want to—

“Wait a minute, young man,”

I stop in my tracks and curse myself for being to slow, glaring at the chuckling Kai, who has managed to leave the room before I do.  I turn at my heels and face my mother, with a guilty tilt to my lips.

“Mother, I’m sorry, but I—“

“Are you sneaking out to see someone?”

My mouth opens to let out my words, but I frown as I can’t seem to make anything up.

“Aha ha,” She smiles teasingly, pinching my cheeks and patting it down gently.  “Go, then,”

“That’s it?” My eyebrows dig deeper down.  “You’re not going to scold me or anything?”

“Ei, what’s more important now?” She shrugs.

“I should use this as an excuse more often,” I mutter, giving myself a nod of acknowledgement.

“Hey!”

I throw my mother a final grin before I rush down the hall, out into the garden and towards the stables. 

Trotting towards Red’s space, I push the door open and find a keeper tending to my horse.

Taking her shoulder, I spin her around to face me.

“Hey—“

But her is not the her.

“Oh, sorry,” I let go and dismiss her apology politely, absentmindedly rubbing Red’s neck.  Before the keeper could leave, though, I call her back.  “Excuse me, but have you seen..”

“I’m sorry, prince?”

I didn’t even catch her name.  I haven’t even seen her face, I don’t even know who she is, who am I looking for, really?

“Nothing, it’s nothing, thank you,” I quietly say, leaving the stables as my interest for a ride just flew out the windows.

Stupid, Kyungsoo.  Stupid.

I stride out the stables and stumble upon a startled Kai.

“That was a quick ride, Kyungsoo.  Was it nice?”

“Stupid, stupid.  I am definitely stupid,”

***