Autumn

A Heart Turned Cold

An autumn gust blows, chilling the air and blowing the clouds and the trees. The leaves blow away in a final flight they dance, beautiful yet dead.

For the past few months, me and him were happy. We went all around Seoul, exploring every single corner. We got judged by many but yet knowing that he was beside just made me not at all embarrassed. We were just so perfect that I thought we were living in a fairytale but this is reality and the day came where everything started to go wrong. 

It was the 25th of August. He did not turn up at the place we agree to met, claiming that a last minute issue held him up. I offered to wait but he just abruptly said no and hung up on me. I called him back again and I reached his voicemail. I tried again and again and again but there was no answer. I ended up walking home alone. 

It was the 30th of August. I could feel the breeze gently blowing as I walk, tickling my neck. He was not beside me yet again. We have not met for around 5 days and no phone calls were made. Messages were exchanged with me typing lengthy messages filled with concern and him replying with one or two words. My heart aches for him. I just could not see what I had done wrong. I really wanted him by my side right now. 

Today was the 10th of September. I stood in front of his door, hesitating for a moment on whether I should press the bell. I hated this feeling. I hated how our relationship has become this way. I wanted it to go back to before, where he was the sweet and loving man I knew. Before I could muster the courage to press the bell, the door flung open and there stood him. A little behind him was a man that I recognise through the pictures Sunggyu showed me- Min Hyuk. 

"Hey," I started, trying to keep the conversation light. 

"Who is he?" 

I was opening my mouth to introduce myself when I was interrupted by Sunggyu," He's a friend."

Although it was just three simple words, it stabs my heart like nothing ever could. 

"What is he doing here?"

"I was just passing by," I turned to walk away before he could utter any words that would slash my heart into pieces. 

That night, I cried myself to sleep. Nobody would ever understand my hurt. It was not the hurt of getting rejected. It was the hurt of getting rejected in front of someone who rejected Sunggyu. Shouldn't Sunggyu be proud of having me? Unless he is ashamed.

The next day, it was the 11th of September. I stared at the messages he left me. 

"Let's meet up at the usual place."

"I am sorry for yesterday and there is something I need to tell you."

"I am sorry. Would you please reply me?"

"I'll wait for you at the usual place for the whole day. Please, just turn up."

Maybe one day, I will regret my choice of actions but I disregard all doubts in my mind and decided to go with the strongest voice in my head- I will go and meet him. 

He was in casual outfit today, a change from his usual formal suits. He was leaning against his car, phone tightly gripped in one hand. He must have saw my simple yet meaningful reply: "Ok. it better be just the two of us."

He looked up and caught my eye. He did not smile like he usually would. His face remained serious and cold. 

"So what's the something?" I started the conversation. 

"Woohyun... I am really sorry but..." 

"You want to break up with me? I think I was expecting that," I gave a small laugh. 

"yes and it's not only that. I think you deserve to know after all these months you spent with me. I... am getting back together with Minhyuk. He accepted me. He said... that he could not do without me."

If you asked me to judge the credibility of Minhyuk's words, I would probably say that it is only fifty-percent true. I needed Sunggyu more than Minhyuk did.

"You believed him?" I choked out the three words.

"Minhyuk is never one to lie." 

"Then what about me? What about your love for me? Did it ever existed?" 

"Woohyun, I thought I loved you but it is only when Minhyuk came back, that I know that my love for you is pure friendship."

Friendship? To me, he was never a friend. What about the kisses we shared? What about the sweet words we exchanged? 

I could not take it anymore and I did the only thing I could there and then. I fled.