Summer

A Heart Turned Cold

Summer-the bright sun, the green leaves and the hot weather. I walked along the beach, my legs half-submerged in the blue waters.I was waiting for him to arrive. Today was a change from the dead boring library where we usually met. 

So who is him? He is none other than Kim Sunggyu, the guy who i had fell in love with. After that day of embarrassment, I managed to muster an ounce of courage and dialed the number he gave me. We talked only on the phone at first, introducing ourselves and getting to know each other more. Eventually, we met up at the library and while having a cup of coffee at the cafe, we talked more. Sometimes we were debating about a social issue, sometimes we are just pointlessly ranting about our lives, basically we just talked about whatever comes to our mind. 

Today, he asked me out here for some reason which he refuses to give away. He said that i would know once he arrived. So here i am, waiting for his arrival. A few minutes later, a grand but familiar car pulled up at the car park. I continued walking around in the water while waiting patiently for him to get out of the car and walk over. When I finally focus my attention on him, I realised that he was wearing a suit and i suddenly felt really self-conscious, i was only wearing t-shirt and bermudas. 

"Hey, what's with the formal dressing today? Attending a party later?" I asked as I got out of the water and put on my shoes.

He only shook his head as he sat down on the white sand. I sat down beside him after i was done. 

"So what's with the attire?" I attempt to ask again. 

"What if I said that I loved you?"He suddenly asked out of nowhere, leaving me open-mouthed. My heart immediately started pouding and i thought it was soon going to jump out from my mouth. 

"errr... Well, it's nothing wrong for friends to love each other is there?" I answered trying to keep my cool. He could have meant nothing more than loving me as a friend. 

He shook his head again," No, it is not friends."

"If not friends than what? lovers?" I joked, trying to sound light-hearted.

"What if i said yes?" was his reply. 

"I..." 

"Nam woohyun, I love you from the day we met. I remember myself finding how cute you were when you stupidly bumped into the wall."

"You said i was weird and interesting," I could not resist pointing that out. 

He gave a small nervous laugh. " Well, and that too." 

Then, we fell into an awkward silence. 

"So," he finally continued. "As i was saying, I love you from that day we met. I liked the moments we talked on the phone. I cherish the moments we were in the library together. I love everything to do with you."

He broke off, took a deep breath and continued, " So now, I just want to ask, do you love me back?"

I paused, hesitating. Obviously my heart was screaming "YES!" but my mind tell my otherwise. I started having doubts. Would we really fit together? Would we really last long? 

"I understand if you do not feel the same way but i hope we remain friends."He stood up and walked off. 

I still did not move. I sat there still wondering. Then something somewhere told me that giving it a try is better than not trying at all so i stood up and ran towards his receding figure. 

"Wait!" I screamed. He paused and when he turned, i crashed into his chest and hugged him tightly. I close my eyes as he returned my hug. 

It may be minutes or seconds later before we pulled apart. He was grinning, making his eyes smaller than ever. 

"Hey, Kim sunggyu. Remember that when you give a sudden confession to someone, he or she needs some time to react." I broke the silence. 

"So you love me? You don't feel disgusted?" He asked. 

"I love you even before I officially met you.Why do you think i am at the library when i loathe books? And for your information, I am definitely not homophobic, being a homoual myself and all, I cannot hate myself, can I?" I replied. 

"Some people are homophobic and Some do hate themselves for being homoual,"He replied quietly before turning away. 

"what's wrong?"I could sense that something was up so i asked and that's when all of it came out. 

Sunggyu explained that he first realise he was homoual when he fell in love with his best friend- Oh Minhyuk. He tried to keep it to himself at first and went to research about being a homoual. He read cases after cases and many of them did not have a happy ending. Sunggyu was terrified. He did not want anything to happen and he tried to keep everything between him and his best friend normal but the truth had to come out sooner or later.  Minhyuk noticed that Sunggyu was unusual and was keeping secrets from him. So he went to Sunggyu's room and found all sorts of researches about homouality. He confronted Sunggyu about it and Sunggyu admitted to being homoual and even went further to tell Minhyuk that he loved him. 

"I didn't know he would react that way. His eyes was full of disgust and without even saying anything, he left my house. I tried calling him the next day, but he refused to pick up. I went to his house but his maid claimed that he was not in. I tried approaching him at school, but he just avoided me, he even changed his seat with someone in order not to sit beside me. Naturally, i was devastated. I lost my best friend and someone i love at the same time. I could not confide in anyone,I feared that their reaction would be the same as Minhyuk. I decided to go for homeschooling in order to stop my heart from bleeding every single time i see him avoiding me. I started wondering why am i homoual? why am i not normal? I hated  myself till i found comfort in reading. There were books where some were homoual and although they were despise by others, they still found someone who love them the way they are. So I believed in it, believed that it too will happen to me and it did,"Sunggyu turned to me and gave me a smile. "I found you." 

I smiled back. And then he suddenly leaned forward and pecked me on the lips. 

"That was to officially announce the start of our relationship."