Spring

A Heart Turned Cold

I breathed in the fresh air as I walked out of my door. I looked around and saw a beautiful sight greeting me like most days when spring has arrived. The buds of my mother's rose plant, the trees with their newly grown leaves. 

I was going to spend the day at my favourite place, a library. Some may think it's boring, with all the books and the deep meaning behind every one of them, but I kind of disagree with them. It is not that I love books, oh no, in fact I hate them, but he loves them. The library was the place where I can catch a glimpse of him, sometimes surrounded by girls, sometimes engrossed in a book, sometimes doing his homework. The library was also the place where I first met  him and fell in love.  

 

*flashback* 

I was looking through a few thick books for research and was starting to get frustrated at it because I was failing miserably in searching for the materisls I needed. All of a sudden, I heard high-pitched squeals from behind. Irritated at their inappropriateness, I looked up ready to yell at the girls to be quiet and that was when I saw him. He was walking towards me, my heart started pounding faster. For a second, I thought he was going to settle on the empty seat beside me, but he totally bypass my table for a totally deserted table behind mine .  

I was disappointed.However, there is no reason for him to sit beside me is there? He did not even know me. The girls sitting nearby wshipered in hush tones. I caught snippets of their conversation, something about him being the handsome son of a big company who liked to wear a lot of designer clothes.  

I saw him stiffen as if he was suddenly aware of all the people gossiping about him. He immediately got up and went to find a more quiet spot. My mood fell, seeing him walk away. My heart ,which was pounding non-stop, returned to its normal speed. That was how I fell in love, it was love at first sight. 

*flashback ends*

 

I entered the library and felt the cool air hit my face. I stared at the long shelves of books and sighed. He and I were so different from each other. I hate books, he loves them. He is rich, I am not. He is popular, I am not. He is handsome, I am not. We are set apart by so many differences, yet my heart longs for him.

"Hey!" I heard someone calling."you are going to bang into the wall!"  

I did not know the warning was for me and deep in my thoughts, I ran head-first into the wall, and fell to the ground. I rubbed my head where I smacked into the wall. Peals of laughers could be heard all around the library. 

"Are you okay?"  The same voice that warned me could be heard. A hand was offered to help me up. The hand had a hint of familiarity to it...  

I looked up and found myself looking straight into his eyes, the man I fell in love with-Kim Sunggyu. 

All I could do then, was to stare in shock and horror. Horror that he had witnessed something so stupid of me and shock that he was right in front of me.

"Are you okay?" He asked. When I didn't respond he continued in saying. "Has the collision with the wall stunned you to silence or anything?" He waved a hand in my face. "Hello? Say something."

I tried to talk but my voice refuses to respond.

Sunggyu finally sighed and dropped the attempt in making me talk. He helped me up to a nearby chair and let me rest. For a while, we just sat there and stare at each other.

"Thanks," my mouth finally uttered a word. He gave me a grin.

"No problem!" He checked his watch." I need to go now. We meet some other time shall we? You are interesting and weird. I would like to know you more." 

He gave a chuckle and gave me a slip of paper which has his number on it.

"Call me sometime. And we will meet up somewhere," he checked his watched again." ! I am late! Bye!" 

And with that, he ran out of the library. I sat there for a while before breaking into a wide, silly smile. He said I was interesting! And weird... But I would change that opinion! I looked at the slip of paper and smiled. I have his number! I could call him or text him. 

He placed a hope in my heart.