Just Ask Him Already

Silence (On Hiatus)

Word Count: 1,396

 

Sehun woke up in what he suspected was his bed although he had no idea how he had gotten there. He had fallen asleep the day prior on Luhan’s shoulder as Luhan had sung “Promise You” softly under his breath. He was tired from the stress and Luhan let him rest there, wishing that when Sehun woke up later, he would magically be healed or that this was all a dream and Sehun was actually perfectly fine.

Luhan set Sehun in his bed and moved to leave the room but Sehun caught his sleeve, mumbling in his sleep, “Don’t go… Please… Don’t leave me hyung…” Luhan almost cried.

“I won’t leave you. Not ever,” he whispered. “I’ll just be right back.” He slid out of Sehun’s grasp to look for Yixing, who had disappeared somewhere. Luhan’s phone on the coffee table buzzed and he looked at the text from Yixing. “I let myself out. Locked the door with the key Sehun gave me. I’ll talk to you later. I have something I need to do.”

Luhan stared at the text, wondering what Yixing could possibly be doing. He knew Yixing wasn’t rash and wouldn’t do anything especially drastic, but worried all the same. He set his phone back down on the coffee table before returning to Sehun. He slid down next to Sehun, who instinctively curled around him. Eventually, Luhan drifted off to sleep as well.

Sehun lay facing the ceiling and slapped his cheeks lightly a couple of times, hoping that the car accident was merely a dream. It wasn’t. He was blind and that was a simple and undeniable fact. As he lay there, staring up at the ceiling with unseeing eyes, he noticed slow breathing beside him, slow breathing and familiar warmth.

The person beside him stirred. “Sehun? Are you okay?” Luhan asked sleepily.

“Yeah, I’m fine…” Fine if you don’t count the blindness, he thought bitterly.

“We can get through this. We can get through it together. I know we can.” Luhan said in response to Sehun’s thought. He wrapped a reassuring arm around his dongsaeng’s shoulders and Sehun pressed himself into the embrace.

“I hope you’re right…”

 

--

 

“Sehun, you’d better confess your feelings to Luhan soon,” Jongin told Sehun one day during lunch. Sehun had learned it was best not to drink before Jongin spoke because the things Jongin said usually ended with Sehun spitting out any drink in his mouth.

“What brought that up Jongin?” Sehun sputtered.

“You need to do it. He’s at university. He’s good looking. Girls are probably throwing themselves at him and it’s only a matter of time,” Jongin continued, counting it off on his fingers.

“What makes him you think that if I confessed, he would magically return my feelings? I don’t think my relationship would turn out as perfectly as yours.” Jongin blushed. “Not only are you two perfect and perfect together, but your relationship is perfect too,” Sehun continued. “I do not accept any argument from you because you know as well as I that it’s true,” Sehun said as soon as Jongin opened his mouth to protest. “Even with your necking in the dance studio, you two have the best couple appearance.” Jongin turned even redder.

Sehun once walked in on the two of them snogging shirtless in the dance studio. Yixing was pressed up against the mirrors this time. Not only was Sehun being there awkward, but even worse was that they didn’t notice him enter and just continued exchanging tongues. Sehun couldn’t avert his gaze and stood and stared at the scene with disgusted rapture. He also wished deep down that the scene before him was between him and Luhan but he quickly pushed the thought away thinking, no it’s still gross.

“It’s worth a try at least. You never know,” Jongin said slowly.

“Do you know something that that I don’t?” Sehun asked suspiciously.

“No,” Jongin lied. Sehun knew that even if Jongin were lying he would never lie to hurt Sehun or take a joke too far, so he dismissed it. He knew that there was something that his friend was hiding, however.

 

--

 

Yixing had been talking with Luhan just like Sehun had been talking with Jongin. The two of them gossiped and spent the little free time they had without Jongin and Sehun together. Their free time was usually spent at a cafe down the road from the university.

“You like Sehun, don’t you ge,” Yixing said casually in Mandarin as they sat outside drinking bubble tea.

“Wha-? No. God no. I mean. Well. Um,” Luhan stammered.

“You’d have to be extremely thick not to notice,” Yixing replied.

“No, you’re just good at reading people. You always have been,” Luhan countered.

“That’s not true.”

“Okay, that guy over your right shoulder. What’s his story? What is he thinking right now?” Luhan asked. Yixing took out his phone to look like he was fixing his hair but secretly stared at the man sitting behind him in question.

“Slightly dour expression and dark lines under the eyes. On a normal person, I’d say that he was absolutely miserable, but there is a little more to him,” Yixing explained as he studied the guy. “The dark lines under his eyes are natural and not from stress or lack of sleep. He’s not yawned and he looks completely alert. Everything is Gucci, so I presume he enjoys shopping or they’re gifts from a loved one. Seeing as it matches his clothes, I’m guessing it’s the former.” Luhan looked stunned. He knew Yixing was good, but now he was just showing off. For some reason, Yixing flipped to Korean, but Luhan understood him all the same.

“He’s waiting for someone, perhaps a girlfriend. It’s about lunchtime, so any normal person would be ordering lunch, yet he only has a coffee at the moment, from the placement of the X on the cup, I would say that he’s drinking decaf. He’s also checked his watch twice since you pointed him out. He looks nervous, so it’s likely this is a first or an early date,” he continued casually.

A very tall man walked up to the stranger’s table. The stranger relaxed before getting up and hugging the newcomer before giving him a quick peck on the lips. “He was waiting for a boyfriend. I guess that was a slip on my part,” Yixing corrected.

“You’re like Sherlock Holmes or something. Normal people can’t do that so casually,” Luhan informed Yixing as Yixing put his purple-cased iPhone away. “Normal people also can’t appear to be daydreaming but actually be paying very close attention.”

“It’s not that difficult. It just takes a little observation,” Yixing replied casually. “Oh and he’s Chinese. He looked up after he heard our Mandarin, so I switched to Korean. He seems not to have as good of a grasp on it as we do. I would guess two months actually here in Korea but three years of study back in China. Maybe that was why he was so nervous.” He sipped his tea casually. “And the only reason you don’t notice these things is that you’re quite dense,” Yixing said flatly. Luhan inflated his cheeks like a puffer fish.

“You know what Yixing? You have a real mean streak there.” Yixing replied with a nonchalant shrug, although he smiled and Luhan just rolled his eyes good-humouredly.

“Let’s get back to the topic at hand, Lulu. You’re going to need to tell him sooner or later, well, sooner rather than later. I’ve heard that he’s a very popular boy.”

“I don’t know whether he would say ‘yes’, though!”

“Sometimes that’s just how life is,” Yixing replied vaguely.

“You know! I know you know! Tell me whether he would say yes!”

“I don’t know whether he would say yes.”

“You liar. The only relationship you failed to predict was your own. You know who Sehun likes and how this is going to play out!” Luhan accused.

“So what if I do?” Yixing replied casually.

“You should tell your best friend at least.” Luhan pouted.

“If I told you and then gave you advice, would you take it?”

“Most likely not.”

“See? What’s the point of telling you then? It’s just a spoiler and nothing more.” Luhan huffed at his friend in frustration as Yixing sipped his tea, saying no more.

 

A/N: Okay, so I know that this is progressing slowly but I'm working on it and I really want to develop some things before I can move on. Expect another three or four or so chapters before things get interesting/angsty/other. Also, sorry for Yixing being weird. It seemed normal when I was writing it, and I kind of want to keep it but I don't know. Comment if you have any suggestions?