The Courage to Ask

Silence (On Hiatus)

Word Count: 872

 

“Yi-Yixing ge? There’s something I need to ask you,” Jongin began timidly after one of the dance practices. After his discussions with Sehun, he finally figured out how he wanted to confess his feelings to Yixing.

“Hm? Sure. Ask away.” Yixing smiled, dimples showing, and Jongin temporarily forgot how to speak. “Are you okay?” Yixing asked with slight concern as Jongin floundered rather stupidly.

“Yeah. I’m fine. I just. Well. I’ve been thinking on this for a while. It’s taken me a while to finally figure out to say it,” Jongin stalled, prolonging the inevitable. Yixing waited patiently for the actual question to come.

“Jongin! You can’t back out of this now that you’ve started. Hurry up before we all die of old age,” Sehun complained as Jongin shot him a look.

“I just wanted to say that I admire you as a dancer and I like you as a person. I like you a lot. I want you to be mine and I want to be yours. Would you be my boyfriend?” Jongin’s face was red with embarrassment as he looked down at his feet.

There was a stunned silence hanging in the air but Jongin didn’t look up, thinking that there was a look of surprise on Yixing’s face.

Yixing didn’t look surprised, he looked really happy, and his smile was wide across his face. In reply, he gently wrapped his arms around Jongin and whispered, “Of course. I was just wondering when you would ask.”

It turned out that over their time together, Yixing had fallen for the younger dancer. He found himself thinking about Jongin as he daydreamed during class. There was just something about the way Jongin danced that made Yixing’s heart beat just a little faster. There was something that made him pay attention to every nuance of the boy.

When Yixing finally realised he was in love with his cute underclassman, he found himself memorising all of the little things that made Jongin himself. He memorised the way Jongin smiled, both when he put up a façade and when he smiled genuinely. Yixing even learned hot to read through Jongin’s façade, a skill that Luhan hand no chance of learning and that Sehun was still working on.

As he learned all of Jongin’s habits, he noticed the little furtive glances thrown his way when Jongin thought no one was looking, hoping that his sempai would notice him. Yixing most certainly noticed him he just never looked like it. Yixing had mastered the skill of looking like he was paying attention when he wasn’t and looking like he was daydreaming when, in fact, he was listening intently.

Watching the scene, Luhan just looked lost, like a deer caught in headlights. It seemed he was the only one out of the loop in the situation, the only one totally out of the loop anyways. Jongin laughed with relief and Sehun smiled, happy for his friend but also envious because he lacked the courage to tell Luhan about his feelings.

 

--

 

As a couple, Jongin and Yixing were both cute and surprisingly considerate. They kept the public displays of affection to a minimum, although one time, Sehun walked in on them one day in the dance studio necking like there would be no tomorrow. In public places they stuck to hugs and handholding and nothing more. This serious snogging was what they did behind closed doors, Sehun thought to himself as he watched with disgusted rapture. Jongin was pinned to one of the mirrored walls with no space between Jongin’s body and Yixing’s as they kissed.

“So this is what you two are like when you’re alone,” Sehun said aloud, causing them to both jump and turn bright red.

“Wh-what are you doing here, Sehun?” Jongin asked nervously.

“I though I would arrive early and commandeer the speakers, instead I just ten seconds of something I don’t think I’ll ever be able to unsee,” Sehun replied.

Luhan walked in and although the kiss was broken, Yixing still had Jongin pinned to the mirror. “What are you two doing?” Luhan asked the couple who had only moments prior been having a steamy make out session.

“Probably exactly what you’re thinking right now,” Yixing responded, knowing that Luhan guessed they had just been making out.

“Just warn us next time that you’ll be using the dance studio for other purposes.” Everyone in the room burst out laughing and Yixing let Jongin off of the mirror and they joined Sehun and Luhan at the front of the studio.

“Next time, we’ll text you. ‘In the dance studio doing naughty things. Please announce yourself before entering’,” Yixing joked. Jongin turned crimson.

“Do you really have to phrase it like that Xingxing?” Jongin asked, face turning even brighter red.

“No, nit really, you just look cute when you’re flustered,” Yixing teased, smiling.

“Xingie, your mischievous streak is showing,” Luhan chided.

“My bad Lulu,” he responded innocently.

“Sometimes I suspect that you are actually a demon hiding behind the face of an angel,” Sehun joked.

“He’s angel enough for me,” Jongin put in.

“That’s all that matters,” Yixing said, resting his chin on Jongin’s shoulder from behind and wrapped his arms around Jongin’s waist.

 

A/N: An entirely fluffy chapter! So LayKai. That's about it. It's short and I hope you like it!