Beginnings and Endings of Sorts

Silence (On Hiatus)

Word Count: 884

 

Sehun woke up in what he supposed was a hospital room. He could feel the IV in the back of his hand, the hard hospital bed underneath him, and the insubstantial blanket covering him. The room was chilly and he probably pulled a face in complaint. Everything was dark in the room and he wondered how the hospital room could be as black as it was. He propped himself up on his elbows and searched the room for any light whatsoever.

“Luhan. He’s awake,” an excited voice said, Yixing’s excited voice said.

“Ungh?” It sounded like Luhan was waking up and Sehun could feel the shift in pressure on the bed as Luhan pushed himself up.

“How are you feeling?” Yixing asked, voice full of concern.

“I think I’m fine.” He said slowly. “Where are you two? I can’t see a thing.”

“What are you talking about? It’s noon and there are these sickeningly bright fluorescent lights above us,” Luhan said tiredly.

“What? I can’t see anything. Wait. Why am I here? I don’t remember being injured or hospitalised.” It suddenly occurred to him. The last thing he remembered was driving with Jongin to a movie or something upon Jongin’s insistence of course.

“You were in a car accident…” Yixing said gently and something passed between the two that he couldn’t see.

“What about Jongin?” Sehun sat up quickly, turning his head toward the source of the voice that he still could not locate. He heard a door close off to his left. “What was that?”

“Luhan had to go… Get water. Yeah he had to go get some water,” Yixing always was a rubbish liar.

“Yixing. Tell me the truth. Where is Luhan going?”

“Um… Well… He’s going to see your doctor… The doctor asked us to go get him when you woke up.” These were all true statements, but Yixing was still hiding something.

A few minutes later, two pairs of footsteps came in.

“Oh Sehun,” the doctor read off of the clipboard. “Car accident and suspected brain damage due to head trauma.” Sehun heard two simultaneous gasps from the other two, like they were hoping that he wouldn’t be reading it out loud. “You can’t see anything in this room?”

“No. Everything is just black.” He heard some scratching, the sound of pen on paper as the doctor took notes.

“The blindness could be temporary and could have its origin in shock, or you could never be able to see again,” the doctor said flatly and the other three occupants of the room wondered if the doctor had heard of anything by the name of bedside manner.

“What is the last thing you remember?”

“I was in a car with Jongin. I guess the car crash was a little after that? I don’t think I’m missing any other memories. It’s a little hazy right before the crash but I think that’s it.”

 

--

 

Oh Sehun wasn’t the social type and he never had been. He found it easier to just go through life without having to deal with interpersonal relationships and he didn’t mind it, being alone that is. Primary school came and went uneventfully. He didn’t really care that he was a loner. The only thing that really mattered to him was dancing and he did that alone, never able to find a partner quite right for him. Being alone gave him time to study and it gave him time to dance and that was all that really mattered.

In Junior High school, he joined the dance club. His mother said that it would be a good idea for him to interact with other people for once. There were only eight members including him but he liked it better that way.

“Welcome to the dance club. My name is Yixing and I’m the leader of the club.” He introduced himself to the three new members, smiling. There was a cute little dimple on his cheeks when he smiled. He had an accent and Sehun guessed that he was actually Chinese.

Even though Yixing was the leader of the club, he wasn’t the oldest one there; even Luhan wasn’t the oldest because there were four older than he. Luhan had perfect Korean but he said that he was actually from China as well. Luhan was a fifth year at the joint junior and senior high school. Yixing was a third year. The other members at the time were sixth years and they graduated at the end of the year before Sehun really got to know them. He did get to know someone his own age by the name of Jongin. When Sehun joined, the club had a fifth year, a third year, two first years, and four sixth years. Yixing was the best dancer in the club despite being one of the younger members. A close second would have been the new dancer, Jongin. Luhan was good as well but Sehun would like to say that he was still better.

When the sixth years graduated and went to university, the club shrank to the four members, Jongin, Yixing Luhan, and Sehun himself. Those four were probably Sehun’s closest friends, just like brothers. There might have been one that Sehun wanted to be more than friends with but he wouldn’t admit it.

 

A/N: Really short first chapter but I swear they will get longer and also more eventful. I hope that this gives you enough suspense to wait for the updates that will come from anywheres between a week and a month, although I hope the former is the more likely one.