Hiding and Seeking

Experiment 113: Outlast

“Sungyeol, help us move this, quickly,” whispered Myungsoo as he, CAP, and L.Joe made an attempt to move a heavy metal cabinet in front of the door along with some other rubble to slow down their pursuer.

Sungyeol nodded and moved to stand beside the three, successfully moving the cabinet in front of the door of the room they had seeked refuge in.

Upon the cabinet being in place, Niel called them quietly, “Come on you guys, quickly.”

The four nodded, quickly moving forward, following Niel and the trembling Chunji, who had examined the room. Sungjong latched onto Sungyeol’s arm once again as they moved silently through the room and toward the other door, which opened with an obnoxious squeal and causing all seven males to flinch and pause mid step, only to relax when they heard not sign of movement in the room they previously came from or the one that was a head of them.

“Let’s get going,” muttered Cap, earning hums of approval and agreement from the others. One by one, they stepped from the room and into the dimly lit hallway. One by one, they came face to face with a horrifying scene.

Sungjong buried his head in his brother’s shoulder and Chunji let out a horrified whimper, his petrified mind unable to make a more intelligent noise – unable to form coherent sentences even as L.Joe wrapped his arms protectively around the barely older male. Sungyeol felt L’s hand slip into his own, their finger’s interlacing as they both stared at the scene before them. Niel hid his face in Cap’s chest and the older male wrapped his arms around the younger, unable to pull his eyes away from the scene. They all fell into a daze, string lifelessly at the bloody scene of a massacre, a recent one – judging from how the blood had yet to dry and stain the walls and floors permenately. The only thing that woke them from said daze as the sound of the walls shaking with the force the doctor was using to open the door they had previously barricaded.

“We need to keep moving,” muttered L as he silently praised himself for keeping control over his voice, from preventing it from wavering – from showing his fear as he stepped forward, pulling Sungyeol and Sungjong along behind him.

“Sungjong, keep your eyes covered, alright?” whispered Sungyeol, his voice gentle as he took his brother’s hand, not minding that the younger kept his face buried in his shoulder. Cap followed the trio, silently leading Niel through the mess and following him were L.Joe and Chunji.

As they walked through the mess, they all tried hard to ignore the squeaking sound that was being emitted by the shoes as they made contact with the hardwood floors below. Sungyeol kept his eyes trained to the younger male’s back, his attention on the warm hand that was on his own, as well as his brother’s tears that were slowly wetting his shirt. As for Niel, he kept his head buried in Cap’s chest – taking in the musky scent of the elder, trying hard not to think too much of the metallic scent that was attempting to invade his nostrils. As for Chunji, he kept his eyes shut, permitting L.Joe to lead him through the hall as he tried hard to focus on the arms wrapped protectively around him – trying hard to get himself to calm down and not think about the possible predator that was awaiting them behind every closed door, around every darkened corner.

“What should we do,” muttered Chunji worriedly, “There is no way that we’ll get back to the stairs now.”

The others hummed in agreement, although they did not want to admit it, the male’s words were true – there were no possible way that they could get to the stairs, especially with the doctor standing between it and them.

“We’ll figure out some other way down there, but for now, let’s focus on losing the doctor,” whispered L, earning hums and nods as his response as they trekked away from the doctor and away from the dimly light hall, venturing back into the darkness, back into the depths unknown. They soon, however, came to a dead end and they could hear the doctor’s clambering footsteps echoing through the halls and coming towards them. Myungsoo quickly pulled the others into a room which just happened to have a vent missing.

“Get up in the vents,” muttered Myungsoo to the others as he turned to barricade the door yet again. Cap, seeing what the male was doing, moved to help with L.Joe. Sungyeol on the other hand took it into his hands to boost the other three males into the vents before quietly creating a way up there for himself and the others.

As he pulled himself up into the vent system, he and the others held their breaths as a door being busted open next door echoed not only through the halls but the vent system itself. L, L.Joe, and CAP took that noise as their warning bell; they took it as the sign to move into the vents themselves.

L.Joe and CAP got into the vent with no complications, however, as Myungsoo was pulling himself up into the vent system the grate of the vent fell, knocking over the wooden crates that Sungyeol had built up as steps and a loud boom echoed through the room. They all held their breath as they heard the heavy steps of the doctor who was just next door stop, before they echoed through the halls yet again – this time a faster pace than before, heading directly towards the room they were hiding in.

CAP and Sungyeol quickly helped Myungsoo up into the vent system, moving away from the broken vent, making sure no one was visible from outside, from below. They all fell silent as the rotten door splintered upon the first hit, the doctor grumbled under his breath as he shoved most of the barricade out of his way, clambering over top of it all. The man peered around the room, stopping to stare directly into the broken vent and causing Chunji’s eyes to widen and Sungjong to cover his friend’s mouth. They all held their breath as they listened for the male below. Niel was watching it all through the other vent grate, he froze in complete fear as the doctor turned to look at the vent he was currently hiding behind, making eye contact with him – unbeknownst to the doctor.

“Must be another rat…” muttered the doctor, “I really should’ve taken care of the infestation before leaving this place the first time.”

The man then exited the room, mistaking the barricade as a cave in from the ceiling, since they were not unusual in the asylum. Upon the man leaving the room and moving onto the next – one across the hall, the seven males let out a sigh of relief, permitting the tension to fall from their shoulders. Once they all had gathered their barring, sensing as though the doctor was long gone now and that they were good to leave, they all moved forward as quietly as they could towards the vent that was missing a head of them, which filled the vent system with light – hoping that it would provide them with a safe passage to the next floor and not another run in with the crazed doctor.

 

“So, where do we go now?” whispered Hoya, peering around the dark corridor they had stopped in, the appearance of the hallway had changed a bit, the doors were rusting metal now rather than rotting wood.

“We move forward,” whispered Sunggyu, “Surely there has to be a layout of this place somewhere – one that’ll help us to figure out where we are and where the stairs we are seeking are located.”

The others hummed in understanding, but other than that stayed quiet – keeping their eyes and ears open so that they would not be caught off guard by any approaching danger. Sunggyu felt as though he was going to cry in relief as he found the security office with its door wide open.

“Come on you guys, in here,” whispered Sunggyu, pulling Woohyun and the others into the small room with him – only to be shocked by the fact that all the cameras were still up and running, providing them all with a view of almost all the halls of the level of the asylum they were on.

“Do you see any stair wells on these cameras?” questioned Woohyun, his eyes glancing over all of the cameras, however, the only noise he got from the others were sounds of disappointment as their search came up empty.

“Hey, who is this?” whispered Hoya, pointing towards one of the cameras, which showed a young male that looked much like themselves scrambling over a pile of lumber – his expression showed his terror as he scrambled to get away from someone or something. They all held their breath as they saw the doctor jump over the pile of lumber – a determined look on his face showing that he was determined to get the running man.

“Who knows, but from what it looks like, they are heading right for us,” whispered Woohyun, automatically pulling Sunggyu towards a cabinet.

Woohyun forcefully pulled open the metal doors, relieved that they didn’t squeak before shoving the oldest of the group into them and joining him inside before shutting the door and in turn leaving the other for to fend for themselves. Hoya and Dongwoo crammed themselves into two of the metal lockers that lined the wall while Changjo and Ricky somehow managed to hide together behind a metal desk – well, under it, since the side facing the doorway was covered by another sheet of metal. The desk sat in the corner and provided them with shelter from people coming through the door, so they didn’t think too much about it – they figured that it couldn’t be too bad of an idea.

They all held their breath as they heard the pad of someone else feet heading in their direction, they heard the panting of another man as he ran into the room, quickly slipping into one of the lockers – unbeknownst to the new comer, he had been seen by others. The male held his breath, listening closely for other sounds, he could have sworn that he had heard the faint rustle of cloth elsewhere in the room, but he figured that his time hiding away in the Asylum had made him go insane – which wouldn’t be too surprising or shocking.

“Where are you little lamb?” called out the doctor in a haunting voice, “I know you’re in here you little insolent fool…you may have escaped my mansion on your own somehow but you aren’t going to be escaping this place – not on my watch. You aren’t going to meet up with the others like you either…you will not escape with them either because you will die – you will die like all of those whom you left behind in my mansion for your own selfish desire to live. You and they will die…I will outlast you all. I will live and destroy master…my creation…I will kill him, but I need you all to die first. I must be rid of all his vessels first or else he will discover my plan to be rid of him once and for all.”

Hoya and Dongwoo watched in fear as the man walked slowly towards the desk that Changjo and Ricky were hiding under, his laughter echoing through the room, cutting out the low hum of the computers and the monitors.

“Little Lamb, just give yourself up,” stated the doctor cheerfully, “I know you are in here somewhere.”

Changjo felt Ricky bury his head into his chest, he felt the older male burying his nails into the skin of his wrist but he felt no pain, only the sensation of being touched. The younger male held his breath, despite the fact he was beginning to feel light headed – despite the fact his lungs were burning, begging for more oxygen. He closed his eyes tightly, silently saying good-bye to all his friends and family members – many of whom he had forgotten the name of – as he believed that he was going to die, as he believed he was living through his last few seconds as a person.

However, his eyes snapped open as he heard something click and the doctor froze right beside the desk. Changjo’s eyes were glued to the shadow being casted on the wall beside him, on the fingers he could see on the edge of the desk. From the shadow, he could see that the doctor’s head was turned towards something – seemingly in the direction of the monitors showing the pictures all the security cameras were seeing.

“Damn it little lamb, you didn’t come alone!” cried the doctor, obviously seeing something in the security cameras before the room fell dark and silent – the hum of the monitors replaced by an eerie silence.

 The doctor’s footsteps echoed loudly through the now completely quiet room, the footsteps grew slightly quieter as the man moved closer towards the door – or so Changjo believed the man was.

“Little Lamb, wait here while I go gather your friends,” stated the doctor creepily before the metal door leading to the room slammed shut, the bang echoing loudly through the room and caused the tense inhabitants of the room to jump.

Hoya stayed completely still and silent as the newcomer came out of his hiding spot peering around the room – the male could not make out any features of the other male because all he could see was a the silhouette of a male through the small amount of light coming in through the window from the flood light that rested on the wall opposite of the security room. He heard the door being shaken and a curse echo through the room before the male turned around – obviously looking for some way out of the room.

“Damn it, why don’t I ever listen?” grumbled the male, moving towards the lockers again, obviously looking for some sort of flashlight, “I shouldn’t have separated from them.”

The male froze as he heard someone else gasp for air and another sigh in relief, Hoya had to keep himself from growling and Sunggyu had to keep himself from scolding Changjo and Ricky for their idiocy.

“Who is there!?” called out the male, his voice wavering in fear as he spun around on his heel – looking around the dark room in an attempt to locate those whom were making the noises, “I know you’re in here, so come out.”

“Come on you guys,” called Woohyun, stepping out from the cabinet – despite Sunggyu’s silent protests – earning the attention of the new comer who spun on his heel to face Woohyun, “Our cover is blown already anyways, plus because of this idiot the doctor will get seven of his supposed sixteen prizes if we stay in here and wait for the man to get back.”

With an aggravated sigh, Sunggyu followed Woohyun out of the cabinet and Changjo and Ricky emerged from beneath the desk – eventually Dongwoo and Hoya decided to decide the four upon seeing that the newcomer was more scared of them than they were of him.

The teen trembled and whispered, “I’m not dreaming am I?”

“Why would you be? If you are I’d call this a nightmare rather than a dream.” Deadpanned Hoya, peering at the male, stepping closer once he caught onto the metallic scent of blood, “Hey, are you alright?”

The male backed away from Hoya, “Stay away from me.”

“I’m not going to hurt you,” muttered Woohyun, staring at the male, “Damn it, we don’t have time for this...we’re wasting time we could be using to escape.”

“Woohyun, he’s hurt,” stated Hoya, peering at the male that was just a few months older than him before turning his attention to the new comer, “What’s your name?”

The boy froze and stared at him, “You don’t need to know.”

Hoya sighed, “Sunggyu, do you have the bag with bandages?”

Sunggyu hummed, “We should still have some torches or materials to make them.”

Hoya nodded in understanding before stating, “Can you get him bandaged up?”

“Don’t touch me!” cried the man, “I’m not hurt!”

The two looked at the male in shock.

“I’ve seen what you people do, d-don’t touch me,” whispered the male, “I don’t want to be like you all!”

“Damn, just leave him be and help me start looking for a way out of this room!” growled Woohyun, “I’m not going to be in here when the doctor comes back – there is no way in hell I’m going to die because of this stupid idiot.”

Changjo, agreeing with Woohyun, moved around the room, feeling the walls and climbing onto the lockers to feel the vents and ceiling to see if there was a way out. Woohyun and Changjo were accompanied in their search by Dongwoo while Hoya and Sunggyu stood in the room with the newcomer, trying to get him to calm down. 

 

I feel accomplished, not only have I given you all an update - but a double update!

Not only that, but both are of decent length, let's see if I can get another one out in the next couple of hours. 

Anyhoo, I hope you all like the chapters and I hope the tension and horror factors to the story are appearing yet again. 

Also, who do you want the three newcomers to be? Two yet have to be met yet but still who would you all like to see them be?