The Nightmare Begins...Again

Experiment 113: Outlast

Emerald green leaves hung thickly overhead, only letting the faintest light reach the surface where four males stood staring out into the distance – looking for any signs of movement, listening for any sounds – keeping an eye and ear out for the signs of the monsters who had been plaguing their sleep ever since they escaped from the hell hole known as the mansion. The shadows seemed to be hanging thickly over the thirteen’s head. It was as if they were in the middle of a chess game and the “master” was observing their every move, plotting his own – making it so that he remained a step ahead.

It had been six days and five nights since they had entered the woods – countless times they ended back at the mansion due to them not marking their paths, not wanting to be tracked by doing so. The woods seemed to go on forever, as if they led nowhere – as if there was no way out. Every shadow that danced across their line of vision had them tensing up, for all they knew it could be the silhouette of something that was preparing – waiting – to attack them.

“What exactly are we looking for?” muttered Ricky; it was his first time on the search due to his leg injury – which was finally healing up.

“Any sign of movement in the area,” stated L.Joe.

“For signs of the monsters that we saw in the mansion, you know the ones that cowered when that beast appeared?” muttered Hoya from where he stood his back pressed against a tree, his arms crossed over his chest.

Ricky hummed, trembling slightly as the cool autumn breeze caressed his exposed skin – he automatically reached for Changjo’s hand as the leaves rustled in the wind.

“This portion of the woods seems clear,” stated Chunji, from where he stood beside L.Joe, “Let’s head back.”

Hoya hummed, “You guys lead and I’ll follow.”

“Neh, hyung,” stated Chunji, automatically grabbing ahold of L.Joe’s hand tightly and starting the trek back to the make shift camp they had settled for the night. Ricky and Changjo followed silently behind them as Hoya did one last sweep of the area – his eyes showed nothing, his brain stated that he was being paranoid, but his gut was telling him that something was coming, that the calm was ending and that the storm was racing their way.

 

In another corner of the woods, a sole figure stood – taking cover behind a tree, he peeked out from behind the wooden mass, peering at the ghastly colored swarm gimping their way towards him. He knew their type; they looked like they were incredible slow, their appearances deceiving their poor victims. Those monsters could take you out in the blink of an eye, they could move far more quickly than one would imagine – or so that is what the shadow in his head had told him.

“Niel, what are you doing out here alone?”

The male in question jumped, turning to look at the tall male standing behind him, “Yeolie-hyung, I could ask you the same thing.”

“I came to look for you of course,” stated Sungyeol, crouching down, being hidden by a bush as he peered out at the herd of monsters that stopped their movements, looking at something that was approaching them from behind.

A silence fell over the duo until a whisper filled the air, “So, he’s decided to make his move?”

Niel hummed quietly.

Sungyeol peered at Niel, whispering faintly, “You know that Minsoo-hyung is worried about you right? You suddenly disappeared…”

“I don’t like being held up at the camps all day long,” muttered Niel, “There is nothing wrong with me anymore. I’m not insane, hyung. I just can’t think as clearly as you all anymore…I’m honestly not like I was before; I know how to control the nightmares.”

Sungyeol hummed, “I’m glad one of us does.”

Niel looked at him in curiosity, not quite catching what the elder male had stated.

“Let’s head back and alert the others,” muttered Sungyeol, “Now is our time to leave, if they come any closer, we’re stuck here until they all pass through.”

Niel nodded, crouching low and following the elder back towards the camp, only to jump as the elder did as well – both had come face to face with the silent Myungsoo who was peering at the two males with emotionless eyes – his expression stoic, not giving way to any of his thoughts.

“Myungsoo-ah,” muttered Sungyeol out of shock.

“You two are hiding something, aren’t you?” stated Myungsoo, “Both from each other and everyone else.”

The two flinched and Myungsoo’s eyes moved to stare at something behind them, “We need to get back to the camp.”

The other two nodded and the trio crouched low, moving towards the camp where they knew the others were waiting.

Myungsoo turned towards Sungyeol, whispering, “We’ll talk when we get back to the camp.”

The elder male nodded.

 

“Where were you?” muttered Cap, peering at Niel in worry, the elder male had stuck behind to help Sunggyu tend to Woohyun’s wounds since the male had fallen from the tree he had climbed to us as something similar to a search tower.

“I was out with Sungyeol-hyung,” muttered Niel, seating himself on the ground beside the elder male, curling up against his side, “Hyung, I know what I’m doing – there is nothing wrong with me, I swear. I well aware of my actions and my choices.”

“I hope you are,” muttered Cap.

Sungyeol peered at those left in the camp – Sunggyu was sitting by the rather bruised up Woohyun’s side, scolding the young for his idiocy, about how he had to be more careful because this place was more dangerous than the mansion. Dongwoo – who had taken night watch the previous night was sprawled out on one of the make shift beds they had made, while Sungjong sat wrapped up in a blanket while leaning against one of the many trees, his eyes glued to the small fire they had made to warm their chilled bones, not caring too much since the fog within the forest allowed the smoke to stay hidden.

“Guys, the areas south and east of here are clear, at least from what we can see they are,” reported Chunji as he, L.Joe, Ricky, and Changjo appeared from the thick brush on the eastern side of camp.

“I wish we could say the same about the west,” stated Niel, shocking everyone, no one had expected him to speak since he had fallen mute since getting out of the mansion, “There is a swarm of…Deceivers…I think that’s what you guys are calling them now, you know – the ones that look like they’re really slow, but are actually the fastest monsters that have two legs.”

The group nodded.

“He’s not lying,” stated Sungyeol, deciding to back the younger up, seeing how the others looked a little weary at Niel's claim, “There is a large herd of them to the west.”

“I saw movements in the trees south of here, which is usually a sign of the beast,” stated Woohyun, “Plus, the forest to the east is actually growing darker.”

“The shadow is moving in,” muttered Sungyeol, earning a suspicious glance from Myungsoo.

“So, our safest option would be to head north?” muttered Sunggyu, the others all nodded, “Then let’s get packed up and on the move then, they’re finally making their move…the nightmare is beginning again.” 

Myungsoo peered at Sungyeol who had fallen silent again as he whispered, "The survivial game begins, huh, Yeolie?

 

I know, the chapter is rather short and rather slow, but I decided to give you all a little something-something. ^^ The scares haven't started yet since I decided to give you all a little break. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the chapter.

Thank you to those of you who commented before this chapter was even up and thank you to all of those who commented in the previous story. Also, thank you to the 88 subscribers - I hope that I won't let you all down. To those of you whom haven't commented, don't comment - thank you all for just simply reading this story. ^^ I'm happy to knpw that there are actually people reading this story. 

 

Also, I thought I'd let you all know that Experiment 113: Sanity is my second most subscribed to story - the first being The Imperfects. It even beat out This Used to Be Paradise (which is now in the third spot)! I think that this might just be the sign that I should just stick to writing horror stories that involve Infinite (considering that both The Imperfects and This Used to Be Paradise are Infinite fanfics, and Expeirment 113 involve them alongside Teen Top).