Chapter Five

The Jerk Next Door

Chapter 5 (Family)

"Okay so what you're basically saying is that Kai kissed you out of nowhere and declared that you're his girlfriend.  Now you're stuck in this reality-or-fantasy position and can't choose whether what he did was for real or no.  In addition to that, you're inside the girl's bathroom, talking to me right now urgently as if the apocalypse is going to crash land in this Earth in any second," Amber said.  I nodded at her every word.  A sigh came out from the other line.

"Look, my friend.  I wish I could help you.  Well I am now.  Anyways, just go confront him.  I mean, to me, it sounds so, so..." I waited for her last word eagerly.

"Fake." I slumped my shoulders against the stall.  I knew it.  Amber may be blunt but she did  have a point.  What other explanation could beat that?

"Wait, wait.  Hold on a minute.  Did you just say go confront him?" I asked, widening my eyes.  

"Yeah.  So what if he rejected you back then? He's a total douchebag and a jerk we get that.  But at least confront this little act with him and verify if it's true or not.  Or else, you might as well call that bathroom stall you're in your home," she said.  I whined a sigh.

"But, Amber! I can't do that!" I said, feeling crying of terror and force.  Amber grieved a sigh.

"Do it tomorrow, Haneul.  Besides it's getting late and your parents are going to kill you if you're not home by then," she said and hung up.  

"Ah, Amber!" I replied but all I heard from the other line is beep, beep, beep.  I stared at my phone screen showing me the time- 6:00 PM.  I groaned sadly and left the bathroom stall.  It's bad enough already that my last boyfriend was a total but now this Kai thing had to show up.  Did the gods of romance curse me when I came out to live in this world? Or am I just being paranoid? Or both? I don't know.  

I walked down a street well lit with bright lights.  Even so, the sky is pretty dark now.  Really weird since it's only 6:10 PM.  I sighed.  Yeah, Choi Haneul, paranoid much? I turned left and stopped in front of my house:  dark, empty, no life.  I've gotten used to this feeling.  It's just that sometimes, whenever I see this house at night, without me in it, it's so eerie.  I opened the front door, unlocking the door knob and twisting it to open.  Usually, my parents would come to the front door in a rush and greet me "Welcome home, sweety!" from my mom and "Welcome home, Haneul.  I'm glad you're back safe." from my dad.

Now I'm standing in an empty hall.  I took off my shoes and set them aside.  I flipped the light switches open to bring in some light to the lonely house. No sounds were heard or made except for the thuds of my feet walking towards the kitchen to prepare dinner.  Simple to make: bulgogi with a side of rice and tofu soup. Simple. Just how my mom would make it.

(After an hour)

I heard my phone ring.  I looked at the screen and there it showed the name "Boss".  I widened my eyes in surprise.  Oh shoot, I forgot to tell them I'm not going to be there! Pressing the green button with the phone on it shakily, I put the phone next to my ear, preparing myself to get fired.

Instead, it was a calm tone.

"Haneul, why didn't you call me?" the boss asked.

"I am truly sorry! I lost track and got all distracted with school.  I will make up for it tomorrow, I promise!" I quickly said.  The boss held in a sharp growl.

"Alright.  Alright.  But remember Haneul.  One more like this and you are definitely fired," he said sternly and hung up.  I sighed.  This whole Kai thing really just almost costed me my part-time job.  I threw myself on top of my bed and groaned.  My mom would probably say to me right now, "It's only Kai.  It's not as if it's going to kill you or anything.  Just tell him straightforward." I stared at the ceiling.

"Yeah thanks mom for that wonderful advice! I will be there by your side sooner or later!" I said with total sarcasm.  My dad, on the other hand...

"A guy? No, no.  Studies first before crushes or relationships." I shrugged.  Yeah that could work.  Maybe if I just ignore him or dodge him tomorrow at school, everything will go smoothly! I fist pumped and nodded with determination.  Hopefully no more obstacle. 

 

Kai's Point of View

"Mom, how's work?" I asked curiously.  My mom gave me a tired smile.

"So many documents to sign and look over again.  Can't believe how many companies want to merge with ours.  You might see your future wife soon or something," she said.  I paused at those words.  Ever since dad left, the one who's handeling all the responsibilities is mom.  A job I may call it.  But this is more like chains, tying my mom down to her last will to escape from this fate; to become our company's CEO. You could say my lifestyle is a bit complicated.  I, like my mom, am bounded as well by the chains.  In order for the company to strengthen even more, companies have been wanting to merge with ours.

And that sometimes affects me to one word: marriage.  

"Ah...  I see.  I never thought that would actually come sooner than I imagined," I said after swallowing down a piece of meat from my dinner. My mom looked at me and held onto my hand.

"Don't worry, Kai. I will not let that get in the way of your happiness. Perhaps when you have a girlfriend, gladly introduce her to me.  And this whole marriage will get out of our way," she said and smiled.  I suddenly remember about Haneul and how I declared in front of that girl that she was my girlfriend.  Holding in my laughter at the sight of Haneul's shocked face, I turned away. 

"Kai dear? Are you alright?" my mom asked with such concern.  I fixed my face and faced her eye to eye.

"I'm good, mom. Yes, in time. I will introduce her to you someday when I find one," I said.  After a few more minutes of chatting and talking about the company and my school works, I finally excused myself from the table by cleaning up the mess that my siblings left.  I told my mom to go upstairs already to rest and that I will take care of the rest. 

(After three hours- 10:00 PM)

I stretched my arms out and cranked my neck sideways.  I stared at the papers in front of me, all concerning the company's financial problems. Gladly, I came up with plans on how to solve them and now they're all done.  The problems weren't that hard, except counting the numbers that always raise up the roof.  But I'm not overwhelmed or anything.  These things are actually nothing compared to what happened today at school.  Imagining Haneul's beet red face tomorrow, wow, that is something I will really look forward to.

I set aside the files into their proper places and crashed onto my bed with tired eyes.  In front of my sight, a family picture of me when I was a baby.  There my dad smiling with my mom holding me by her arms.  My dad was someone I never loved at all.  He's the reason our family and company are both in this state.  Even my mom.  I scoffed at my dad's face.  What a fake. 

I closed my eyes only leaving me with a feeling of someone's hand in my dreams:  Haneul's.

 

 

 

Chapter 5 (Family)

E N D

What did you guys think? Was it okay? Thumbs up? Comment down on below on what your opinions are. Please don't forget to upvote and subscribe to this story. I will be currently editing the other pages as well so that everything looks new and understandable.  Thank you guys again for being such supportive of this story and I hope to read your guys' comments soon! 

xoxo