Competition everywhere

A Race to My Heart

 

“I’m Yongnam’s younger twin brother. Bang Yongguk.”

 


Jayla was so caught up in the sudden and very shocking information that she didn’t notice her half opened mouth and her eyes blinking two times a second. What the male in front of her just relieved didn’t make sense to her at all. Knowing about Nam for two years, she never even heard about some secret younger twin brother so that fact was really shocking to the point that she had a hard time believing it.

What made her consider that fact a second time deep inside was his looks. Even when people have doppelganger, they don’t look identically like each other. But the guy in front of her was like a mirror picture of Nam. And it scared her even more that they had the same deep and husky voice.

“I’m sorry but…” Jayla rubbed her right arm with her left hand in distress, “… I have known Nam for a few year without knowing that you even exist.”

“Oh...” he let out in surprise, “I guess my brother doesn’t like to talk about me then.”

Jayla just looked at him in silence since she had a really hard time keeping calm. All sort of thought crossed her mind and one of them was her boyfriend. He must have known about Nam’s twin brother. But why didn’t her tell her about him? Is he keeping something away from her? Most importantly, now that she knows about him, what will Himchan think about this whole situation?

“I moved back from Japan,” the obviously elder interrupted her thoughts by explaining himself, “I moved there three years ago and kind of grew tired of the life there so I decided to move back home.”

Not knowing what to say to him, Jayla just nodded her head and turned around on her heel without any warning because there was one word that made her act intensively for her own well-being.

Danger.

Anything related to Nam, whether it was family or friend, was nothing she should interact with. But one thing was sure. She needed answers from her boyfriend. There was a long explanation she already demanded from him. But before she could meet up with him, she needed to talk to that one person she trusted most and still let her down with this information.

Kim Hyuna.

 

***

 

 

“What do you want me to do in order for you to believe me?!” Hyuna pulled on Jayla’s jacket while she drove towards Hyuna’s apartment.

The two of them ate brunch at some random restaurant they found in town and there they spend some time talking about what happened to Jayla. Unfortunately, their meeting ended with them still fighting over the fact that Hyuna didn’t tell anything to her even though she knew that this was a bigger deal than she thought.

Jayla rolled her eyes at Hyuna’s questions and quickly glanced at her with burning eyes out of anger.

“Did you know about Yongguk’s existence before?” she asked through clenched teeth for the last time.

“Yes, yes I did but we ne-”

“Then why didn’t you tell me about him, Hyuna?!” Jayla shouted in frustration.

“’Cause I didn’t see a point of doing that since he was clearly living somewhere else!” she tried to explain.

Jayla shook her head while turning the car to the next highway, “So you didn’t see a point even after he returned? Even after I freaking bumped into him?!”

“I swear to God, I didn’t even know that was him. I found out about that the other day!”

“You didn’t know that was him… wow, so you can’t even tell a difference between them…” Jayla commented arrogantly.

“Yah! It’s not like you can.”

“That’s maybe, just maybe, because I didn’t know there was two of them goddammit!” she shouted the last part.

Hyuna looked through the window to her right and remained quiet for a while, making Jayla feel bad about shouting at her for something she wasn’t guilty for.

Jayla took a deep breath to calm herself down before glancing at her best friend again, “How did you find out anyways?”

Hyuna looked at her before closing her eyes and lowering her head, “I swear, the two of you are making me go insane.”

“The two of us?”

“You and Himchan.”

“What?”

“Himchan told me Jayla, Himchan. He called me after the last time I saw you. I’m not supposed to tell you this but heck no, I don’t want to dig my grave deeper than it already is.”

“What are you even talking about?” Jayla confusingly questioned the words that came out of her friend’s mouth and she had a feeling that what she was about to hear won’t be that pleasant to her.

“Himchan told me to keep Yongguk’s return as a secret from you.”

“He what?”

“Yeah, he wanted to tell you himself but only when the time came which according to him isn’t right now.”

Jayla pulled her car to the left to stop in front of Hyuna’s building. She then turned to Hyuna and looked at her with a very serious expression.

“Why would he say that? Why would he do that?”

“I don’t know. You should talk to him about that even though he might kill me for telling you this.”

“It’s not like I wouldn’t figure that out on my own. I mean, I did meet him a few times and since he is working at that damn gym, there is a high chance that I will see him more often now. But… is there something Himchan is hiding from me?”

“I seriously don’t know because there might be more than one reason for him not to tell you about the twins.”

“I can’t believe my ears. I don’t know if I’m disappointed or angry at him.”

“Jay… go home and talk to him about this. The two of you have had a very hard time these couple of weeks and keeping secrets from each other won’t help this situation at all.”

Jayla slowly massaged her temples with her hand while dealing with thousands of thoughts at once.

“You’re right. I’m really tired of this. At least I know now that I haven’t gone crazy for assuming that Nam is being nice to me.”

Hyuna smiled weakly and nodded before hugging her best friend and stepping out of the car. Jayla turned the engine on and didn’t hesitate to put pressure on the gas pedal to hurry up home. For each minute that passed she grew angrier at her boyfriend but she promised herself to keep calm once she faced him.

For the sake of both of them.

 

 

***

 

A whole day has passed and the gorgeous girl from before refused to leave Yongguk’s thoughts alone. Her beautiful round and newly awake eyes left a deep impression on him. Her sweet voice sounded like melting honey to his ears and he could hear the hesitation from the faint words that left her beautiful mouth. Her small lips looked delicious like those small toffees filled with soft chocolate that is pleasant to one when bitten into.

The first time he saw her at the mall, he was blended by her beauty to the point that he didn’t want to walk away from her. Unfortunately he had to play it off coolly so he wouldn’t scare her away. The same night he regret not saying something more to her or even ask after her name but when he saw her at the gym earlier he regained hope again. And this time, he will make sure to make an effort of approaching to her which shouldn’t be that hard since she already knew Yongnam.

“Planet Earth calling Yongguk hyung!” Zelo waved his hand in front of Yongguk’s face in an attempt to bring him back to reality.

The elder looked up at the blonde one and furrowed his eyebrows, “What?”

“You have been looking at that paper for some time now without moving,” Zelo pointed towards the routine list on the counter.

“Oh,” Yongguk rubbed the back of his neck while looking around awkwardly.

“What’s on your mind?” Zelo blurred out and Yongguk only looked at him, hesitating on whether to tell him or not, “You have been off the whole day today. I know you’re thinking about something.”

Yongguk casually walked over to one of their computers and started typing some reservations that needed to be done the same day. From the corner of his eye, he could see Zelo still standing in his spot with crossed arms and he assumed that he also had his eyebrow raised.

“Fine,” he rolled his eyes and turned towards the younger one, “The beautiful girl from earlier this morning.”

Zelo’s eyebrows slightly connected while he tried to recollect the events from before, “You mean Jayla?”

“Ahh yeah,” Yongguk nodded his head with a small smile creeping onto his mouth just from the mention of her name.

“What about her?” Zelo’s face lit up out of curiosity and he took a few steps closer to him.

“I don’t know… She is just really stunning and a-”

“Are you crushing on her maybe?” he interrupted the elder, “Don’t tell me you are!”

“What? No… no.”

“Oh my God you are,” he said in an undertone before cracking up in laughter, “Oh my God, Hyung you’re the best!”

Yongguk stood still and looked dumbfounded at the younger one, not really understanding the funny part in their conversation.

“What the hell is wrong with you?”

“Hyung…” Zelo tried to keep calm but he laughed so hard that he had to hold his stomach, “That’s… really cute, but,” his laughs slowed down a bit, “.. you really can’t.”

“Why not?”

“’Cause she is forbidden fruit,” he took a deep breath after totally cooling down.

“She has a boyfriend?” Yongguk couldn’t help but feel really disappointed at the moment.

“Yeap, one hundred percent taken.”

“Who’s the guy?”

“Oh you know him,” Zelo grinned.

“I do?”

He nodded, “It’s Kim Himchan.”

 

***

 

“Youngjae, bring me a towel,” Himchan ordered while putting the last piece of his new exhaust system in its place.

He upgraded his baby with a brand new rear section exhaust containing two tubes on each side. All he had to do was polish it and he was done.

“Here you go,” Youngjae came back and handed him the cloth before taking a look at the result, “I like it.”

“I love it,” Himchan smiled in satisfaction.

“Are you going to use this one on the next race?”

“Of course,” he smirked, “After what happened last time, that Ilhoon er needs to learn a lesson.”

“Which is never to mess with the great Kim Himchan,” Daehyun walked into their own car repair shop, “And talking about Ilhoon, Namjoon just texted me and told me that Ilhoon is participating this Saturday too.”

“I already knew that,” Himchan laughed arrogantly while wiping the last part.

“Of course you did,” Youngjae rolled his eyes.

“Alright guys,” Himchan stood up from the ground and handed Youngjae the towel, “I need to go now.”

“Where are you going?” Daehyun asked while taking a look at Himchan’s newest creation.

“I promised Jayla to take her out for dinner,” he headed towards the sink to wash his hands before grabbing his jacket and unlocking his private car.

“Of course, romantic guy is romantic,” Youngjae commented.

“Yeah, you should try that out sometimes,” Himchan winked and entered his car only to hear Daehyun’s loud laugh from the diss towards the youngest.

“Yah! I can be romantic as well,” he yelled after Himchan who slowly drove out of the garage while showing a thumbs up before riding away.


 

***

 

“Is the food delicious?” Himchan asked gently as he cut a piece of his meat.

Jayla only nodded while taking a sip from her water, trying not to talk so much because she was afraid of what the conversation can lead to.  

“Hey,” he put his cutlery down to take one of Jayla’s hands into his from across the table, “Why are you so silent?”

She couldn’t pretend like nothing happened but still she was really unsure of how to even start.

“Did something happen? Do you want to talk about it?” the worry in Himchan’s voice was more than obvious and she wasn’t surprised at all.

“There is actually something that is bothering me.”

“Really? Tell me, please,” he looked at her with concerned eyes.

Jayla inhaled deeply before mirroring Himchan’s actions and putting her fork and knife away to concentrate on her boyfriend in front of her.

“Himchan, I want you to be really honest with me,” she began while looking straight into his eyes, turning him into the nervous one, “Have you been hiding something from me lately?”

Even though the lighting wasn’t that strong in the restaurant, giving it a cozy feeling, she could still see him gulp once before opening his mouth to speak.

“Why… why are you asking?” he asked in a soft voice.

“It’s really important to me that you’re honest with me right now because I’m tired of all secrets. This relationship has been through so much so please just answer my question.”

“I… I’m not sure what you are talking about,” he looked away, breaking their long eye contact.

Jayla could feel the anger inside of her grow while she clenched her hand that was still under Himchan’s grip.

“So you’re not sure? You’re really not sure about what I might possibly ask you next?” she let out with a hint of harshness.

“Jay…”

“Okay, then let me ask you straight forward. What is the reason to why you held Yongguk’s existence as a secret from me?”

Himchan looked wide-eyed at his girlfriend because the words that came out of just now was something he didn’t want to hear so soon. That was something he didn’t want to deal with at the moment but he was trapped and he didn’t have a back-up plan.

She definitely busted him.

“How do you know about Yongguk?”

“Answer my question, Himchan!” she raised her voice, making a few people around them look at them weirdly.

Himchan smiled weakly towards the unwanted audience they just got before looking at Jayla again, but before he could say anything else, her next question took him off guard.

“Does he have something on you so you need to keep it a secret?”





 


A/N: So guys, what do you think so far? :)