The True Identity

A Race to My Heart

***

 

”You’re zooming out again...” Hyuna sighed while sipping on her chai latte and eyeing her best friend who was sitting in front of her.

Jayla shook her head and looked down at her cup, “I’m sorry.”

After Jayla’s work out session at the gym, Hyuna called her to meet up with her at one of their favorite cafés. During their many conversations, Jayla couldn’t help but find herself thinking about what happened to her this morning, which made her stop listening to whatever Hyuna had to tell her. Her second man-to-man meeting with Nam was as strange at the first one which confused her even more.



“I’m coming! The scanner has been causing problems the whole morning lo-“

The male was lost for words once he caught sight of an annoyed Jayla. Both of the individuals that were standing on the respective side of the gym, stared at each other expressionlessly. There was a little longer silence yet none of them could do anything about it.

Jayla watched Nam carefully while debating in her mind whether she should turn around and leave the building to avoid any uncomfortable situations or just ignore his presence and walk past him once he fixed the issue she was dealing with.

Just at that moment, their staring contest was interrupted when they heard footsteps echoing through the peaceful hallway. It didn’t take long for the person responsible for the noise to reveal himself. Jayla saw Zelo walking out of the staffroom while carrying some smaller boxes with various products in them.

“Oh!” the younger let out surprised when he saw Jayla standing still at the other side. “Talk about brave and strong for working out so often.”

Zelo walked over to the front desk before opening the boxes and sorting the products that were for sale. Before he could do any bigger progress with his task, he looked up and saw his co-worker standing still while looking at the girl in front of him.

“Hyung, don’t tell me you forgot how to deal with the scanner whenever it causes problems,” Zelo tilted his head to side while walking towards the entrance, totally not expecting an answer from the elder.

“Sorry Jayla for making you wait so long,” Zelo apologized while opening the gadget in front of him and pushing a few buttons to light it up again, “He is still new here and this damn thing won’t stop messing around. I even called the technical support for some help, they should fix this later today.”

He asked for her card, which brought her back to reality, and opened the gate for her to enter.

“Here you go,” he smiled widely before walking back to the front desk.

The elder male on the other hand looked away from Jayla before letting out a low ‘I’m sorry’ and rubbing the back of his hand in… in embarrassment?

Jayla furrowed her eyebrows at the strange behavior but still decided to ignore it and go on with the main thing. Work out and get out of there.

 

“Okay, that’s it!” Hyuna slammed her hand on the round table in between the girls, making a few people in the café look at them with strange looks, “Talk.”

Jayla blinked a few times at the sudden outburst but she could already tell why her best friend was being frustrated.

“What?”

“What is going on in that little head of yours?” she crossed her arms while leaning back onto her chair.

“I… I don’t know,” she confessed, “I saw Nam this morning at the gym that I go to.”

Hyuna was silent and only arched her eyebrows as a signal for her friend to continue on talking.

“He acted strangely again,” Jayla continued, “At one point, he couldn’t even look at me in the eyes.”

“Are you being serious?”

“I’m telling you, his behavior is driving me crazy but I don’t want to tell Himchan about this. He will just explode the second I mention his rival.”

“Then don’t,” Hyuna looked through the huge window beside her before smirking, “What he doesn’t know…”

“… doesn’t hurt him. I know, I know,” Jayla finished her sentence while inhaling deeply. “I’m just afraid that Nam might do something if we continuously bump into each other.”

“I don’t see a reason to why he would do something to you. If he really wanted something from Himchan, he would deal with it in person. Nam is a clever player.”

Jayla nodded her head at Hyuna’s statement yet she couldn’t control the uneasiness that she felt in her stomach. “I really hope that’s the case and that everything is just a random coincidence.”

“You’re worrying for nothing,” Hyuna smiled at her while bringing her glass to her lips. ”Just stop overthinking everything.”

 

***

 

After a lot of thoughts and considerations, Jayla decided to drop the whole thing about Nam and pretend like it never happened. And that’s what she did. The following days, she spend a lot of time with Himchan because all the worries made her miss her boyfriend even more. She did feel safe beside him no matter how much she disliked his overprotective side sometimes.

Those times when she wasn’t with Himchan, she was at her part time work that she really enjoyed. Spending time with talkative random people while mixing up some drinks for them was really nice. Even her co-workers, full-time bartenders, are some pretty fun people to be with.

Everything was alright again but when it was time to go to the gym again, the uneasy feeling remained in her body. But she didn’t want a silly thought to affect her training schedule. After all, she believed that she worried for nothing, just like Hyuna said.

“If you want, I can drop you off by the gym. I’m on my way to Namjoon anyway,” Himchan offered as he walked into the room where Jayla was packing her fitness clothes.

She tilted her head to the side while Himchan hugged her from behind, “You can do that?”

“I can do anything for you,” he whispered into her ear seductively before giving her a quick peck on the cheek, “Are you ready?”

“Yeah,” she smiled and picked up her bag which Himchan took right away and carried out.

The ride was quick and smooth and before they even knew it, Jayla kissed Himchan goodbye and left the car to walk towards the gym. Before she could enter the building, she was startled by a little bigger car that drove past her at the parking lot.

“What the hell?!”

When she followed the wagon with her eyes she couldn’t believe who she was seeing once she recognized the face. Ilhoon parked the car not too far away from the entrance and walked towards Jayla with a huge smirk on his face.

“Hello there beautiful,” he took off his dark shades that he was wearing and literally scanned her with his eyes from top to toe.

Jayla only rolled her eyes at his doucheness and walked into the hallway, ignoring Ilhoon’s existence as much as possible.

“Now, now… We shouldn’t be so rude,” he didn’t hesitate on following after her.

He was never an easy person to deal with.

 

***

 

“This Saturday?”

“Yeah, why not?” Himchan asked while flipping through a magazine that he found on Namjoon’s table.

“Alright, I can text and see if everyone can make it,” Namjoon nodded while taking out his phone.

Himchan remained silent while Namjoon informed everyone about the upcoming race that the elder demanded.

“What if Ilhoon cheats again?” Daehyun, who was sitting on the other side of the table, asked in concern, thinking back to the last race.

“He won’t,” Himchan answered coldly just when one of Namjoon’s girls entered the room and served everyone a drink each before leaving them alone again.

“How can you be so sure?” Daehyun arched an eyebrow.

“Because I made sure he plays fairly this time.”

“What did you do?” Namjoon looked up from the device he was holding onto.

“Does it matter? As long as he doesn’t mess with me, it shouldn’t matter.”

Daehyun and Namjoon exchanged looks before turning their attention back to Himchan. Even though both Namjoon and Yoongi were cool with every clique around, people could still trust them with some things. So Himchan talking about his rivals was no new thing.

“So… sent,” Namjoon stood up from the chair to put his phone back in place.

Just then they could hear a phone beep from outside the room. All three of them turned their attention towards the door and just seconds after that, Yoongi entered the room.

“Was that your phone?” Namjoon pointed towards his best friend.

“No, it was Nam’s.”

As a reflex, Himchan clenched his teeth at the mention of the guy who at the same time walked into the same room. He raised his eyebrows at the sight of Himchan and Daehyun, casually sitting there.

“What a pleasant surprise gentlemen,” he stated sarcastically before turning his attention back to his phone. “About the race… I’m in.”

“Another pleasant surprise,” Himchan commented in the same way.

Nam threw a dirty look towards Himchan, which only made him smirk in satisfaction. Daehyun on the other hand hated those private meetings because they usually never ended well.

“What brings you here?” Namjoon questioned the elder’s sudden presence.

“To ask for some car supplies from you two,” he took a seat not far away from Himchan, “But no hurry, it can wait now that we have some nice company.”

Himchan ignored his mention and continued on looking through the magazine he was holding. He knew how Nam worked. Unlike Ilhoon, who is always straight to the point, Nam was the more mysterious guy. He likes picking on fights through words which was really smart, but he always failed to get at Himchan and his friends. Mainly because Himchan was as good at words as him.

“I think you should talk about what you came here for and go home again. I mean…” Himchan looked up from the magazine, “Don’t you have company these days?”

Nam laughed arrogantly at Himchan’s sudden attack, “Ahh, so people are already talking about my brother. I see.”

Daehyun kicked Himchan under the table as a signal for them to go, now that their business there was done, but Himchan didn’t even mind looking at the younger one.

“Well, everyone is surprised by his sudden appearance after so long,” Himchan shrugged.

“Trust me, he surprised me too,” Nam rolled his eyes.

Not caring about anything more, Himchan stood from his chair and tossed the newspaper to the side before mentioning for Daehyun that it was time to go.
Daehyun mirrored his actions right away and in no time, he was already heading out.

“Talk to you later sometime, guys.”

“Take care man,” Yoongi patted Himchan’s back before he left the room.

Himchan never cared about anything or anyone, as long as it didn’t involve him or the people he loved. So sitting there and having some kind of useless talk with one of his rivals was something he didn’t had time for.

 

***

 

“Did Chanie tell you to ignore me like that?” Ilhoon walked right behind Jayla as she checked in to the gym. “I won’t hurt you, I promise.”

Already growing tired of his presence, Jayla turned around and glared at him with a very serious face expression.

“I don’t have time to deal with you so please just go ahead and mind your own business.”

“Woah,” he faked a sad face before simpering, “Stop turning me down all the time. It shouldn’t be that impossible to approach you. I mean, even Himchan succeeded with it.”

“Unlike you, Himchan isn’t a jerk.”

Not wanting to continue conversing with him anymore, Jayla turned around and headed quickly towards the changing room but before she could reach for the door knob, she was pulled back by her bag that was hanging on her shoulder.

“Yah!”

“I was talking to you,” Ilhoon was still holding onto the bag but in that moment, Jayla saw a certain someone approach them.

Nam was walking towards them with a confused expression on his face. He eyed Ilhoon and then his grip onto Jayla.

“Leave her alone, man,” was the first thing that came out of his mouth.

“Oh, it’s you,” Ilhoon laughed through his nose with a smile on his face that didn’t reach his eyes. “Long time no see.”

“Leave her alone,” this time, it sounded more like a command.

“And why would I do that?” he cocked his head upwards.

“Because she clearly doesn’t want to deal with you,” Nam argued coldly before taking Ilhoon’s arm and jerking it off of Jayla’s bag.

“What the heck?!”

“Ilhoon, you better go on and do what you came here for or I will call the security,” Nam warned before looking down at Jayla who immediately looked away from him after staring at him ever since he walked up to them.

Jayla was so confused and lost at the moment that the only thing she could do was turn back towards the door and enter the changing room without saying a word to either one of them.

Everything was definitely driving her crazy. She didn’t know what to say or what to do but all she knew was that she needed answers from Nam. As dangerous as it might be and as angry as Himchan might be, Jayla needed to talk to Nam.

After quickly changing into her fitness clothes and filling her bottle with some cold water, Jayla walked out of the changing room and headed towards the front desk where Nam was typing something onto the computer that was in front of him.

For each step she took closer, her pace decreased and she suddenly questioned herself and if this whole idea was as good as it sounded in her head. Was it even necessary?

Of course it was, she maintained in her mind. She couldn’t take it anymore and she needed to make sure that this guy had no bad intention at all.

Just when she walked up to the desk, Nam lifted his head up to look at her with a positively surprised face of his that he was so bad at hiding.

“Can… Can I help you?”

Jayla looked down and closed her eyes while playing with the lid of her water bottle.

“I’m sorry but…” she looked up, “I don’t know if everything is a huge coincidence but… Nam, is there something you want from me?”

Even though the guy in front of Jayla looked one hundred percent like Nam, it still didn’t feel like she was talking to the right person. The aura around him was so different from Nam’s which also led to all those thoughts that Jayla had to deal with.

He looked down at her and blinked a few times before slowly opening his mouth to speak, “Nam? Nam as in Yongnam?” he tilted his head in confusion as well, “Oh, I’m sorry but I’m not Yongnam.”

Now Jayla was the one who blinked and she was as confused as never before. What was going on here? The situation shouldn’t be as complicated as it was.

“You must know my brother then,” suddenly a small smile was glued onto his beautiful face, “I’m Yongnam’s younger twin brother. Bang Yongguk.”

 


 


A/N: First the Q&A session on twitter and then the MV release in a few hours... I'M EXCITED AS HELL, WHO IS WITH ME?!