His name was Kai (5)

His name was Kai

Heyloo!! Once again, I'm updating after a long time, sorry guys! :(

tumblr_mhr4ftoLmS1ryv6jro1_500.png

Here, some KaiSoo for you guys! ;)

 

Kyungsoo could hear Kai right behind him as he hurtled out of the hopital probably as fast as he'd ever run in his life. Kyungsoo turned back, to check how far away Kai was, and slowed down, and caused Kai to stumble into him. Kyungsoo started running again, and when he next threw a glance over his shoulder through the closing glass doors at the reception lobby of the hospital, Kyungsoo jolted and put on a burst of speed. The receptionist was looking right at them, mouth opening and closing in horror. 

"Hey!" She cried, springing up from her chair, eyes bulging. 

Kai took hold of his hand and dragged him along, made him run faster, and made it so that Kyungsoo had  to face forwards in order not to trip and fall and make a mess of their escapade. The last thing he saw behind him was the receptionist turning around and shouting for someone. Perhaps she was calling for help. The thought made Kyungsoo's heartbeat increase, and the adrenaline course through his veins as they escaped into the night. 

Kyungsoo tried to listen out for sounds of pursuit--shouts, footsteps on the pavement behind them. But the wind rushing past his ears was distracting, and he could focus only on his heartbeat, loud and fast. Kai's fingers intertwined with his had something to do with that, Kyungsoo expected. 

Kai and Kyungsoo ran, feet thumping against the pavement, until they were tired and winded, and felt like they couldn't go on any longer. Kai swerved off their straight course down the path, and dragged Kyungsoo into a little footpath amongst some shrubbery. Kyungsoo jogged along behind, one hand clutching at a painful stitch in his side. Maybe ghosts weren't built for running long distances. 

"Let's rest a while here." Kai's voice sounded right beside Kyungsoo's ear, the words all whispered and breathy from running, and raised the tiny hairs on the back of Kyungsoo's neck. Their hands separated.

Kyungsoo couldn't find the strength in him to answer, so he just nodded his head, turning around in small circles, one hand clutching the fabric along his side, breathing hard. Stitches were painful. Kyungsoo couldn't remember the last time he'd had one--but then again, there were a whole load of things he couldn't remember so Kyungsoo didn't make too much of it. The blanks in his memory were familiar now, nothing to fuss about.

Kyungsoo wiped away the stinging sweat that trickled into his eyes. He was starting to get his breath back. Beside him, Kai scrubbed the sweat off his forehead too. Kyungsoo could see his breath misting up in the cold air. Kai seemed to have gotten his breath back way faster than him. Kyungsoo turned around, and the metal frame of a climbing frame that gleamed dully in the streetlamp light caught his eye. 

"Playground!" Kyungsoo pointed. 

"Great observation. Well done." Kai said sarcastically, then grinned as Kyungsoo punched his shoulder. 

Kyungsoo ran over, to sit on the end of a pair of slides. Kai went to sit beside him, turning his face so that he was looking at Kyungsoo, the ghost of a smile playing on his lips. Kai stretched, groaned a little, and lay back against the red plastic. Kyungsoo glanced back at him when he spoke. 

"I've always liked playgrounds." Kai looked up at the ink sky. "There was one near where I lived. I used to love to sit on the swings, and hide under the slide and play house by myself because none of the other guys wanted to play such a sissy game." 

There was a silence, a comfortable pause. Kyungsoo gave a sigh, and lay back on the slide too. He turned his head, and could just about see Kai's face over the ridge of plastic separating the two slides. He turned his eyes to the heavens too. There weren't any stars out tonight. The moon was just an eerie glow in a corner of the sky. 

"It's gone now," Kai's voice was low, "The playground. They knocked it down and built a carpark over it."

Another pause. 

Kyungsoo shifted, hospital clothes rustling as he moved to prop himself up on his elbow. He could look down on Kai's perfect face this way, and Kyungsoo ley himself enjoy the view for a while before pushing against the slide and standing up. He walked forward, then stopped and looked around, and jabbed a finger to point to something in the corner of the playground.

"Let's sit on the swings together."

Kai's thoughtful face broke into a sudden grin. He got up lazily, stretching like a cat, then sauntered over to where Kyungsoo was standing. 

"Let's."

The swings came in a pair too (Kyungsoo was liking this playground more and more), and they got on, rocking about gently. Kyungsoo got up first again, and went behind Kai. The boy'd said he'd loved playing on the swings, and Kyungsoo wanted Kai to have fun. 

Kai's head was turned again, and Kyungsoo smiled at him. 

"I'll push you." Kyungsoo grabbed hold of the two chains the swing was held to the frame by and dragged them backwards as far as he could, before releasing them. Kyungsoo placed both his hands on Kai's strong, warm back and pushed, again and again, until Kai was swinging higher than Kyungsoo was tall. 

Kai was laughing so hard that his mouth got a little dry from wind rushing past him, and he choked on the air. And then he ground his heels down into the grass to stop the swing and whipped around to look at Kyungsoo. He was still grinning.

"Your turn." Kai got off the swing and walked around it so he was standing beside him. 

It was only when Kyungsoo happened to glance down at Kai's hand on the chain holding the swing up, that he realised just how cold the boy was feeling--his nails were blue, there were goosebumps all the way up his arm. Of course. The shirt was thin, and short-sleeved, and it wouldn't have kept Kai warm after their frenzied little escapade. Kyungsoo rubbed his own arm in sympathy. He didn't feel the cold. Maybe it was a ghost thing. 

"You must be freezing!" Kyungsoo took one of Kai's icy hands in his, rubbing, trying to warm it up. 

Kai just grinned at him, and covered their hands with his other one. 

"Nah." Kai shrugged. "I like feeling the cold."

"But--" Kyungsoo opened his mouth to protest, eyebrows knitting together in worry. 

"Just get on!" Kai gave Kyungsoo a nudge in the back with his elbow, to hurry him along. Kyungsoo gave him another reproachful look, but obeyed, plopping down on the seat reluctantly. 

Kai had pulled back the chain on the swing and had just gotten Kyungsoo rocking back and forth gently when the first of the fat drops fell. Kai ignored them, and continued pushing Kyungsoo, swinging him higher and higher. 

But the rain got heavier, and Kai in a shivering breath, and thunder rolled ominously in the distance, and as much fun as they were having, Kyungsoo knew they should take cover before they got even more wet in the rain. Kai would get hypothermia for Pete's sake! He hopped off, stumbled around a little before regaining his balance, and dragged Kai away from the swings. 

"Let's take shelter at a bus stop or something. I think we passed one running here..." Kyungsoo suggested. 

Kai was looking elsewhere, and his eyes lit up. 

"No need." Kai began towing Kyungsoo to back to the climbing frame where they were earlier. He stopped infront of the slides and motioned to it with a flourish. "We'll hide here!"

Kyungsoo didn't really feel like squeezing under the slide to hide out the rain (that didn't look as if it was about to stop anytime soon, Kyungsoo noted with a sense of dread), but the rain was getting really heavy, and the bus stop was some distance away, and Kyungsoo knew the rain would be unbearably cold for Kai. Besides, he didn't want to wipe the child-like excited smile off Kai's face with insisting on returning to the bus stop. 

Kyungsoo suppressed a sigh and crawled in after Kai. 

Surprisingly, the space that looked impossibly tiny from the outside was much larger in reality, and Kyungsoo was grateful. There weren't any cobwebs or spider webs in the nooks and crannies either. Kids must play under here often, Kyungsoo realised. Cobwebs and grime only gather in lonely places. The idea of little children playing under the slide made Kyungsoo think of what Kai had said earlier. Kyungsoo turned to look at Kai, who was already staring at him, sitting with their shoulders touching, and their backs against the underside of the slide. 

"I'll play house with you." Kyungsoo offered. And then felt like whacking his head on the pole supporting the slide as he reviewed his words in his mind. He hadn't meant for it to sound so silly.

There was a pause, and Kyungsoo tried to focus on the sound of the rain pelting the slide overhead, the sound of their breathing, the way the small space warmed up with their combined body temperature. Kai's breath stopped fogging up, Kyungsoo realised belatedly. 

"Yes." Kai smiled, and his eyes crinkled at the corners, and made Kyungsoo feel less stupid. Kai shifted slightly, so that his body was turned a little to face Kyungsoo even as his back was propped up against the underside of the slide. Kyungsoo felt his face heat up, the way Kai looked at him, the way their faces were so close, the way he could feel Kai's breath on his cheek. 

Kai slid even closer. 

"Let's be the married couple..." His trailed off. His grin dimmed, softened into a new sort of smile that made Kyungsoo's tummy do backflips. Kyungsoo swallowed as Kai's fingers found his. 

"Yeah...?" Kyungsoo managed a whisper. The small space seemed to have gotten a little too cosy. 

"Yeah." Kai's voice was low too, and did funny things to Kyungsoo's heart. His face was so close, so close. Kyungsoo looked at his lips, tantalising inches away from his own. And then Kai leant in even closer, and glanced from Kyungsoo's own mouth, to look into his eyes, and his face tilted a little. Kyungsoo's eyes slid shut, eyelids quivering in anticipation. 

"I'm sorry." 

Kyungsoo's eyes flew open again, to see Kai's eyes filling with tears. The earlier expression was back on Kai's face, and he looked so lost, so sad. Kyungsoo hadn't been imagining it after all. Kyungsoo just stared. He didn't know what was wrong. He didn't know how to make it better. 

"I lied." Kai's voice cracked. "I'm so sorry." 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aaaand the plot thickens. Haha xD