His name was Kai (2)

His name was Kai

Okay. So this is getting much longer than what I had originally planned for it to be. And guess what. I'm still not done with writing this story yet. So yes, I've decided to make it a short story instead of a oneshot, so it aneone's confused, Yes, I've untagged this as a oneshot!

On another note, has anyone realised what's really going on yet? :) I'll take off my hat to anyone who does! Hahaha...

(P.S. My love goes out to all subbies!)

tumblr_m8g8ttOecr1r04unpo1_500.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kai wiped his mouth clean of crumbs and syrup and hot chocolate, and stood up. Kyungsoo followed him to a couch in the lobby, sitting on two plastic chairs lined up side by side.

"Are you full now?" Kyungsoo smiled and pointed at Kai's stomach.

Kai grinned too. He rubbed his belly ruefully.

"Yeah, a little too full. I guess waffles, treacle, and hot chocolate to boot was just a little too much." He sat up straighter in his seat, turning a little to face Kyungsoo properly. "It must being a ghost, huh?"

Kyungsoo took his time to answer, frowning thoughtfully. Kai took the pause negatively.

"You'll never get hungry, so food'll never be as good, you don't exist to anyone else, you don't have any company. It's lonely." Kai took a breath, and was about to continue.

"Hey, it's not that bad," Kyungsoo felt like he had to reassure the boy for some odd reason, "Don't feel too bad for me."

Kai took another breath, and looked on the verge of saying something, then thought better of it and shut up.

"Hnn?" Kyungsoo waited for Kai to speak.

"Nothing." Kai waved his hand in the air, as if to disperse the notion that he'd been about to speak. "Nothing."

"Honestly, it's pretty interesting," Kyungsoo answered Kai's question, and nodded at the people milling around in th reception area, doctors and nurses going about their business, patients wheeled around in wheelchairs, visitors going up to the reception desk. "I can do anything I like, and nobody'll stop me."

Kai raised one eyebrow.

"And what would you like to do?"

Kyungsoo looked at Kai, as if to check to see whether the boy honestly wanted to see him go beserk. And then he rushed about, throwing his hands in the air, shouting and screaming nonsense, anything that came to mind. Going up to the reception desk, he tapped on the bell profusely, making the area fill with chimes, and the rotund woman behind the desk glare at the only visible teenage boy waiting infront of the desk. Kyungsoo ran towards a nurse walking smartly down the corridor, and blew in her ear, making her yelp in surprise, and nearly drop the papers in her arms. She whipped her head around, trying to see what had touched her ear. Kyungsoo simply made a funny face at her.

Kyungsoo was practically choking on laughter as he ran away once more. Something somewhere at the back of his mind told him that he'd have rather died than go crazy like this when he'd been alive, and he was having too much fun right now. It was amazing, to be dead like this. Kyungsoo doubled up with giggles that made his shoulders wobble, and his stomach burn. Kyungsoo twirled around to glance at Kai, to find the boy laughing almost as hard as he was.

"I'm judging you right now." Kai managed to gasp.

Kyungsoo flashed another grin Kai's way, as his eyes fell on an empty metal cart beside him. Face lighting up, cheeck muscles protesting, Kyungsoo put one foot on the bottom rack, pressing it down to test if it would hold his weight. Deciding it was safe after all, he crouched down low, ready for take-off down a deserted corridor.

"Hey," Kai was on his feet now. "Be careful!"

Kyungsoo was having too much fun to care. Kicking his right foot off the ground, Kyungsoo clung to the cart (ironically) for dear life as it rocketed away, making people stare in bewilderment at the cart that seemed to move on its own. Kyungsoo whooped, the wind adding to his excited heartbeat pulsing impossibly fast through him. The walls rushed past him on either side, melting into a nondescript white blur. Kyungsoo threw back his head and laughed.

And then a door further down the corridor opened, and a nurse walked out, wheeling a kid on a wheelchair, walking right into Kyungsoo's path.

Kyungsoo's euphoric expression melted away, morphed into one of horror. If it had been just Kyungsoo hurtling down the corridor, he'd have just gone harmlessly right through them. The metal cart would wreck havoc though. Kyungsoo didn't want anyone to get hurt. He was just having fun. He tried putting down a foot to stop the cart.

He was going too fast. He'd not brake in time.

And so Kyungsoo did the only other thing to avoid the nurse and the kid--leaning with all his might to the right, swerving towards his right, aiming for the corridor wall. Kyungsoo squeezed his eyes shut, waiting for the impact.

Which never came.

The cart jolted to a stop centimeters before the wall, and Kyungsoo jerked and tumbled sideways, landing on someone beside him. Strong, wiry arms held him tight as they fell.

"Oof." Kai muttered, scrambling upright, a hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder. Kai whipped around to take a better look at Kyungsoo, peering into his eyes, searching his face.

Kyungsoo snapped out of terror mode--eyes impossibly wide open, mouth agape in a wordless scream.

"I... You... Whaa?"

Kai's eyes still hadn't left Kyungsoo.

"Are you okay? Did you whack into anything?" Kai put a hand on Kyungsoo's chin, and turned his head this way and that, checking for any injuries, searching for any signs of pain.

"How...?" Kyungsoo motioned from Kai, to where he'd been standing before Kyungsoo took off, some meters away. 

"I've never run that fast in my life," Kai said, satisfied that Kyungsoo was unharmed, dropping his hand and placing it over his own chest, "I've never been so glad for all the training I did." And then he looked sharply up at Kyungsoo. "Don't ever try that again. Never."

Before Kyungsoo could say anything, someone started clapping behind them, near the reception desk. And then another set of hands joined in the clapping, and another and another, till the area was filled with the sound. Kai and Kyungsoo turned around. Behind them were the people who'd stared in shock at the unexplainable occurance of the moving cart, and who'd watched Kai sprint as if possessed towards it, saving it from hitting the nurse and kid in the wheelchair.

Kai stood up, still very much out of breath, beamed a smile at them, and took a huge bow, grinning from ear to ear with an expression that clearly screamed "mental ward" to Kyungsoo.

"Come on, let's go." Kai took hold of Kyungsoo's arm, dragged him to his feet, and off down the corridor, turning the corner to slump onto another set of seats. Kyungsoo peeked behind him just before they rounded the corner, and the people had stopped clapping, and were staring strangely after Kai, talking to what appeared to be thin air, and running weirdly away, one arm swinging behind him.

"I think they think you're crazy." Kyungsoo tried to joke.

Kai remained serious.

"Don't ever do that again. I mean it. You hear me?" Kai had both his hands on Kyungsoo's shoulders again, and looked him dead in the eyes.

"..." Kyungsoo didn't know what to say, didn't know why Kai was being so serious about this. All that would have happened was him slamming into the door. The kid and the nurse would be unharmed. Sure, it might hurt, but it wasn't as if he would--could--die, right? Kai was still looking at him, waiting for an answer, so Kyungsoo swallowed, and looked away, uncomfortable at being so close to the boy's face, and nodded once.

Kai let go of him, satisfied.

"Whoo! Now I'm really tired!" Kai bent down, rubbing his legs aching from the impromptu sprint earlier.

"I thought you said you trained?" Kyungsoo felt curious. He decided he hated excercise with a passion, and had probably simply kept fit by not eating too much junk food. Even so, he knew people who trained had better overall health. That dash would have been nearly impossible for him, but Kai looked like an athlete. It shouldn't have been too much of a strain for him. Why was Kai so tired?

"Yeah, I guess my reaction time was pretty fast." Kai explained, rubbing the back of his neck and laughing.

"What were you training for?"

"It doesn't matter." Kai looked down suddenly, "I'll never play agan."

"What? Why?" Kyungsoo looked at Kai's legs that seemed to be in good condition.

"The car crash really screwed me over. I'll never be able to play again."

Kyungsoo's hands joined Kai's in rubbing the boy's aching muscles. Something somewhere at the back of his mind told him Kai was really upset, that the sport had been really important to Kai. It made more sense to him now that Kai had been winded by the short sprint. Kai sort of jumped at his touch, but relaxed seconds later.

"Sorry." Kyungsoo managed.

"What? What for?" Kai didn't understand.

"Making you run like that. I didn't realise... You know..." Kyungsoo trailed off, and Kai waved a hand in the air as it to fan Kyungsoo's words away.

"There's a telly in the recreation room, wanna watch?" Kai stood up, dusted himself properly down, and smiled down at Kyungsoo.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can anyone figure out what's really going on? Haha... anyways, I hope you enjoyed the update! Comment  pleaseprettyplease!! Comments are at authors what updates are to subbies! And I love the seven of you who bothered subscribing to a oneshot!