Chapter 2

Holding You is Like Holding Sands

                Chanyeol wakes up this morning with the worst mood he ever had. He shouldn’t  feel that. He should be so happy because yesterday Kris just proposed him and they’re now engaged. Shouldn’t he be the happiest person on earth? But everything seems so bad today just because one particular person disappeared.

                The last time they talked was when Chanyeol called Baekhyun on his way back from Kris’ apartment telling Baekhyun that Kris and him are engaged. He really couldn’t wait till he reached home to tell Baekhyun the super important news, that’s why he called him even when he drove. The call was unexpectantly brief and far from what Chanyeol had expected. Baekhyun cut it first after congratulating Chanyeol and he said that he was tired. He wasn’t even that happy to hear such a heart-attacking good news. Chanyeol was a little bit disappointed because he thought Baekhyun would be the happiest person when he heard the news. He expected Baekhyun would scream or even cry happily just like he used to be when he’s overly excited, but his voice was a little bit hoarse and he swore it was a little bit trembling. When he reached their shared apartment, Chanyeol expected Baekhyun to wait him on the couch and give him a congratulary hug, but he found Baekhyun had already asleep. Was he that worn out that he couldn’t wait for Chanyeol to congratulate him? Or was he sick?

It’s almost midnight and Chanyeol’s still tossing and turning around his bed. Their – now his -- apartment is so empty without Baekhyun. At nights like this when he couldn’t sleep (and didn’t stay over at Kris’) because something’s bothering him, Chanyeol would come to Baekhyun’s room, curl his long body into a ball and nuzzle his face into Baekhyun’s neck. But how can he come to Baekhyun and search for comfort when Baekhyun is the problem itself? He has been so anxious and sulky all day. Some of his co-workers are lucky enough to get themselves embarassed because Chanyeol would yell at their face at every single little mistake they made. Chanyeol was never like this before. Even when he broke up with his girlfriend he loved so much, Sandara, and made him hate girls, he still tried to hide his deep anger and dissapointment just so other people didn’t think that he was weak. But he had Baekhyun that time. Baekhyun is the only person who can make him come back to his cheerful self. But this time is different, really really different. The happy virus Chanyeol is making people afraid of him, no, not because of his creepy smile, but because of his scary scowl and profanities he threw all day to people.

The bad thing is he doesn’t even know why Baekhyun  suddenly disappeared with just one thin useless post-it on their kitchen counter – where they usually started their days (if Chanyeol didn’t spend the morning at Kris’) with Chanyeol nuzzled on Baekhyun’s shoulder and his hands rested on Baekhyun’s waist while Baekhyun is making their breakfast, usually bacon and egg because Chanyeol said bacon is Baekhyun and egg is Chanyeol as in Eggyeol – saying “I’m going somewhere. Sorry but don’t come looking for me. I just need my me-time. You can take care of yourself, can’t you? Besides, there’s Kris will help you too. It won’t be too long ;) Baekhyun.” He cringed on “There’s Kris will help you too.” part because he felt something is wrong with that. Baekhyun never gave his responsibility of taking care of Chanyeol to another person. The Baekhyun he knows is always taking care of Chanyeol whatever happens since they met again in high school. Chanyeol is apparently only grow physicly but not mentally, while Baekhyun is only mentally grown and not physicly. That’s why Baekhyun always takes care of Chanyeol like a big brother.

The worse thing is Chanyeol can’t call Baekhyun because his goddamn phone is off. And Chanyeol has no goddamn idea where Baekhyun is. None of his friends said that they know either, even though Chanyeol is more than 100% sure Sehun knows because the little boy can’t lie and his ears and face were so red the tomatoes would be jealous when Chanyeol asked him if he knew where Baekhyun was, but still the dude refused to tell him. And if Sehun knew where Baekhyun was, then Chanyeol is (again) more than 100% sure his other friends know too because Sehun lives with Luhan hyung and Sehun will tell Luhan where Baekhyun is and Luhan can’t shut his mouth even for a short ten seconds, and all of his friends know Luhan. That means all their friends know where Baekhyun is, and only dumbyeol doesn’t know and his pride of being the most understanding friend of Baekhyun’s is hurt.

The worst thing is Chanyeol realizes he can’t even live without Baekhyun. Chanyeol tried to make his own breakfast that made him has to deal with smoke and fire early in the morning. And believe him, eating burnt bacon and egg when your bestfriend is suddenly dissapeared is really a thing you don’t want to experience. No one made him a cup of coffee with three and a half teaspoon of sugar and right temperature just like Baekhyun did. He ended up buying a terrible coffee from a cafe near his apartment complex and that makes his long “list of bad things today” grows even longer.

He tries to get rid of Baekhyun from his mind and thinks about the next day. A small smile finally drew on his face because tomorrow he will be with Kris going to some places preparing their wedding. They will get married in five weeks. Kris doesn’t want to wait too long because he gets a promotion and he has to move to Canada. Chanyeol has to go with Kris. He’s frowning at this fact because this means he has to leave his Baekhyunnie and his other friends. Chanyeol hasn’t tell Baekhyun yet about this. He wants a perfect timing to talk about this because he’s sure the petite boy will cry or even bang his head to their coffee table and Chanyeol wants to be by his side to comfort him.

But once again, WHERE IS BAEKHYUN??? A frown comes back to his face. He pulls his hair out in frustration and gives his bed a punch. Baekhyun should be there being the most excited person about Chanyeol’s marriage, laying down on his bed alongside with Chanyeol planning the wedding party and fussing around about the smallest thing; choosing the tux design and what food should be served, sketching the decoration and suggesting what theme should he and Kris choose.

Chanyeol misses Baekhyun indeed. It’s already 1 a.m. and tomorrow is gonna be a busy day. He frowns and gets up, decides to sleep in Baekhyun’s room just like he’s used to be when he’s anxious. He opens the door of Baekhyun’s room and the sweet smell of Baekhyun’s greets him. He feels a lot calmer upon this even though Baekhyun’s bed felt a little bit different without the owner. He hugs Baekhyun’s pillow, and sleep immediately consuming him.

 

--

 

Baekhyun still remembers his last convo with Chanyeol the night before his departure to Jeju.

“Baek!!! Guess what, I’m engaged to Kris!”

That single sentence successfully made his world crumbling down. He felt like his head was struck with thunderbolt over and over again.  He could feel a big lump in his throat and his eyes blurred. The little boy couldn’t even react properly and just briefly congratulating Chanyeol on his engagement then cut the call with a classic reason for being too tired. He could imagine the giant frowned at this. He knew he wasn’t being a good friend that time, but he really couldn’t bear it. Tears streaming down his face, and with his chaotic mind he booked a ticket to Jeju even though the price was hella expensive and hastily packed his stuff.  Baekhyun really needed a getaway, he wasn’t sure he could meet Chanyeol the next morning without wailing and sobbing the ugliest sob. Right after he was done packing, he heard Chanyeol entered their apartment and called his name. Baekhyun immediately hid his suitcase under his bed and pretended to sleep back-facing the door and face planted to the pillow just so Chanyeol couldn’t see him crying.

His parents are more than happy to see their only child comes over, but after they study Baekhyun’s face, they immediately know there’s something wrong. Baekhyun  never tells them any of his problem even though his parents still know that Baekhyun has something bothering his mind because sometimes Baekhyun calls them with tired and lifeless voice, but none of it ever make Baekhyun to come to Jeju with a huge suitcase in hand and puffy eyes. There must be something big happening. Baekhyun just hug his parents and immediately locks himself in his room all day. Mr and Mrs Byun understand and let their beloved boy alone because they know Baekhyun will come to them when he’s ready to pour his heart out.

His room is still the same. It’s still full of his toys he left when he moved to Seoul. It gives him a different feeling with his room in Seoul and he somehow feels grateful because he wants himself to be freed of everything he has in Seoul, especially something related to Chanyeol. Here in his hometown, Baekhyun just hopes he can get over Chanyeol even though most part of his heart knows it’s just a wishful thinking.

 

--

 

                Baekhyun also still remembers their first kiss. That’s when Chanyeol had a fight with Kris for the first time. Yes, Chanyeol kissed him when he was already in a relationship with Kris. It was just a light peck on the lips but to Baekhyun it means so much. Chanyeol crawled to his bed in the midnight and Baekhyun immediately knew there was something up. He hugged Chanyeol and asked him what was wrong and Chanyeol ended up pouring his heart out, crying and sobbing hard. Baekhyun had to stay up till dawn soothing the crybaby and telling him everything was going to be alright and Kris would still love him no matter what happened because Chanyeol was the most adorable person in the world. His heart was still hurt because he had to accept the fact that Chanyeol chose someone else over him to be his lover again, but he somehow couldn’t let his precious bestfriend cry. Besides, he never told Chanyeol his feelings so that wasn’t Chanyeol’s fault. Chanyeol had the right to be with everyone. The giant finally calmed down and his signature grin drawn on his face again. He thanked Baekhyun and pecked him on the lips. Baekhyun just could freeze at the sudden action. He felt like he was walking on the cloud nine yet his heart hurt so much. When he asked Chanyeol what was that for, Chanyeol just said that was a friendship kiss and Luhan and Sehun did that too. Baekhyun wanted to scream and yelled at the oblivious giant’s face that that was different with Sehun and Luhan’s kiss, that Sehun and Luhan were in love with each other, that Sehun and Luhan weren’t just friends like he thought, that friends should not kiss.

                Baekhyun couldn’t sleep that night. The kiss might’ve been nothing for Chanyeol, but to Baekhyun, he would do everything to feel it once again yet he knew that he couldn’t do it. He couldn’t blame Chanyeol for being too oblivious of Baekhyun’s feelings too because that was Chanyeol, always childish and insensitive. The next day, Baekhyun found Chanyeol packed some stuff and Chanyeol told him that he won’t go home that night because he stayed over at Kris’. Baekhyun laid down on his bed that night with Chanyeol’s smell still lingering on his pillow yet he had to accept the fact that the giant was with his boyfriend doing god knows what.

                The most hurting thing is after a night spent at Kris’, Chanyeol will come to their apartment early in the morning still with his sleepy eyes even after driving all the way from Kris’, and nuzzle his face into Baekhyun’s shoulder and hands rested on his waist while Baekhyun makes their breakfast. That’s one of Chanyeol’s clingy habit, and Baekhyun hates it because they’re only friends and friends aren’t supposed to do that. But Baekhyun finds himself can’t refuse the intimacy because he somehow wants it too, even with every single touch Chanyeol gives him makes one puzzle piece of his heart falls down and breaks into million tiny pieces.

 

--

 

                Baekhyun spends his day in Jeju walking around like a tourist with camera hanging from his neck dangling akwardly with every move he makes. He explores his hometown and captures every interesting thing he finds. Sometimes he even brings his canvas and pallet to some places and pour out his emotion into the canvas. He has too work even though he doesn’t feel like to. He’s having his first exhibition in the next three months and the only thing he can do is painting and painting since he won’t go back to Seoul to help his manager to prepare for the exhibition. He has sent a message to his manager that he went to Jeju to get a new amosphere for the sake of his paintings and that he trusted him to prepare everything for the exhibition, and then shut his phone down before the manager hyung could fuss at him.

                He activates his phone every two days just to reassure his manager that he’s really working in Jeju and reply his friends’ messages that he’s okay. But never once he replies Chanyeol’s messages and voicemails even though he reads and listens to it. As much as Baekhyun wants to tell Chanyeol that he misses the giant, he also wants to get over it. He wants to forget Chanyeol before he goes back to Seoul and it’s the only thing he can do even though he cries everytime he reads Chanyeol’s messages saying he misses Baekhyun. Chanyeol sends him trillions messages the first week but Baekhyun notices that it’s decreasing in amount everytime he activates his phone. He couldn’t help but thinking that Chanyeol is busy with Kris and starting to forget Baekhyun but on the other hand he feels grateful because maybe with this he can get over Chanyeol more easily. And he really does. He thinks he starts to forget Chanyeol, or at least he is used to being without Chanyeol. He’s no longer crying everytime he activates his phone and finds one or two ‘I miss you’ messages from Chanyeol.

                Then one afternoon of the third week, Baekhyun calls Chanyeol and that is maybe the biggest mistake Baekhyun ever makes. He just wants to test himself out whether or not he has got over Chanyeol so he tries. After the third ring, Baekhyun can hear the giant’s deep voice uttering ‘I miss you’s and how much he wants to see Baekhyun. He can’t resist the urge to cry and he decides to end the call right away and shut his phone down again. Hearing Chanyeol saying ‘I miss you’ is apparently giving Baekhyun a different effect than just reading his messages.

Baekhyun’s almost mended heart is breaking into pieces once again.

 

 

 


 

A/N : I don't know what is this sorry :''' I fail this OTL ;A;