Third Piece: Realising

Aquamarine Blue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Woohyun remained frozen, unable even to turn his head. Only the rustling of the leaves all around was making audible sounds; the person behind him had stopped their tracks also. The tears that stopped right before the edges of his eyes finally spilled over once he found the willpower to at least blink. They felt hot against his cheeks; it was strange to feel tears again. After so many years.

The person behind started to move again, he flinched as he heard the steps coming closer to him. Somewhere deep inside, he almost wished for that person to kill him so he wouldn’t have to deal with the world’s absurdity anymore. He wished that the person would just give him the opportunity to go away, change his name and start anew, even though he knew that wasn’t possible, not even in the least.

His breath hitched when, by the corner of his eye, he noticed that the person, presumably a man, stopped beside him.

“It’s almost ridiculous, don’t you think?”

Upon hearing the man’s voice, Woohyun didn’t say anything at first; it was his mind that started to work. He’d definitely heard that voice before and assuming that he hadn’t met so many people before, or at least hadn’t kept in touch with them so much, it didn’t even take him much time to find out whose voice that was. He nearly smirked, pushing his emotions out of the way to the dark corner of his mind.

“What is?” he asked, managing to keep his voice cool, without any signs of crying.

“How we meet every day without us even agreeing on it.” the man replied. Woohyun, even though he still was not looking the man in the face, could hear the smirk in his words. “I wouldn’t expect to see you here, though.” he added then, moving towards the gravestone, kneeling before it.

Woohyun didn’t answer; he himself didn’t know what was he doing there.

As silence fell on the both of them and Woohyun listened to the wind playing with the leaves again, he watched what the blue-eyed man was doing. He wouldn’t expect to see him there either, but seeing the affection he gave in to taking care of that grave evoked an idea in Woohyun that he didn’t like one bit. He eyed the man for a while, noticing that he put another blue paper crane next to the one that was already there, before getting up.

Interesting, Woohyun thought with a frown.

“If you don’t mind me asking, why were you crying?”

Woohyun didn’t even blink; he wasn’t surprised by that question. “I don’t know. Why did I cry?” he asked, not knowing whom that question was directed to.

The man chuckled, seemingly not being surprised by Woohyun’s answer either. He moved a few steps to the side, sitting on a bench. Woohyun pondered for while whether he should join him. Usually he wouldn’t do so, after all the stranger could be just another one among the idiots that called themselves ‘the human kind’, but there was something that lured him in. Maybe the eyes, he thought.

“Enjoy folding papers?” Woohyun asked, glancing over to the grave where two cranes were obediently sitting at either side of the candle.

“I do; one of the weird hobbies of mine.” the man responded.

Woohyun didn’t ask further; everything had its time, he decided. “I remembered something.” he muttered then, staring down at his hands, folded in his lap.

“Yes?”

“You asked me why I cried. I have this strange memory and even though I know exactly why it is there and why it still haunts me, I can’t remember one face from the picture.” Woohyun explained, carefully choosing every word.

He didn’t know why he was talking to a complete stranger.

“I see.” the man muttered back. “Won’t you ask me why I’m here?”

“Would you answer me?” Woohyun smiled.

“Maybe.” the man smiled back, pulling another light blue paper from inside his suit jacket. “It took me so long before I’ve learned how to fold these.” he said then, observing the paper in his hands almost lovingly.

Woohyun pursed his lips, not knowing what to say as an answer.

“Weird hobby of mine.” the man added then, putting the paper back inside his jacket. “Maybe we’ll see each other again.” he said and got up from the bench.

Woohyun almost hurriedly got up as well. “Nam Woohyun.” he introduced himself briefly.

The man turned around, smiling once again; Woohyun actually saw a spark in those eyes. “Lee Sungyeol.” he lightly nodded his head, before adding, “I’ll be looking forward to seeing you again.”

“So will I.” Woohyun smirked, letting the other finally go his way.

As he watched Sungyeol’s retreating figure slowly disappearing from his sight, the idea that came to his mind earlier wasn’t an idea anymore. It was a theory. A theory he hoped wasn’t to be proved true. He turned around to observe the gravestone once again; he was afraid. Afraid that he really might be right. It was entertaining how such a little thing as a name could tell so much about a person.

Woohyun really prayed that he was wrong as he his heel and slowly walked away from the grave; it was time to put an end to that Monday, he thought.

With a gust of wind the candle light placed on Lee Daeyeol’s grave finally died down.

Much to his surprise, Woohyun didn’t see Sungyeol wandering around the park lot or anywhere near the next morning. He chuckled to himself as he drove to work. Somehow not seeing Sungyeol that morning gave him some kind of reason to think that his theory really wasn’t true, that Sungyeol was just a stranger. An interesting one at that. However thinking about the previous evening also made him feel strangely anxious inside.

He intensely tried to remember the face that was blurred in his memory, so blurred that even the hairstyle was hard to work out. And Woohyun hated that. He hated that he didn’t have a way to make everything clear, he hated that he couldn’t remember. The more he thought about it, the more his head hurt as he drove through the streets. Maybe though, he thought, that face wasn’t even that important hence the reason why he didn’t remember it. That might be also a possibility.

Satisfied with that thought for the time being, not because it was likely, but because he hated headaches, he let that evening out of his head and rather focused on the roa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter