Tenth Piece: Solving

Aquamarine Blue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Woohyun didn’t really recollect how he got home from the bar, considering that the place wasn’t just around the corner, but around a lot of corners. After he’d spilled everything he had to say to Sungyeol, he remembered he ordered a few more drinks before everything faded to blur. He blamed it at the sudden waves of emotions that took hold of him after Howon had left.

He was glad he said all he’d been wanting to say since he found out what Sungyeol’s name was. Indeed, he did not remember much from the conversation, but there was something that did not quite make sense to him and he was sure he remembered it right.

“You can stop apologising now, okay?” Sungyeol said out of the blue to interrupt Woohyun’s constant “I’m so sorry” and “sorry again”.

“I don’t think I can ever apologise enough, though.” Woohyun protested.

“Why would you apologise in the first place?” Sungyeol wondered, “Accidents like the one that happened to me happen every day. Two cars crash, people die. It happens. In the end it doesn’t matter whose fault it was. You weren’t even there that day.”

“How do you know that?”

“You find out about things like that through time.” Sungyeol smiled. “It wasn’t your fault and believe it or not, someone has been apologising to me all this time more than I could ever accept.”

When Woohyun awoke to the blissful silence of his flat the following afternoon, if he were to be honest, his head was in even worse state than it had been the previous night. It may have been due to the amount of alcohol he had drunk, it may have been because of Sungyeol as well.

Someone has been apologising to me all this time, he had said, more than I could ever accept. Ever since he was a child, Woohyun had liked riddles and puzzles and everything that made him think. Sungyeol though, was a riddle he couldn’t find the answers for; when thought he got them, new question marks surfaced.

“And who that might be?” Woohyun asked after processing the words. He completely ignored the fact that his state had gone from ‘delightfully tipsy’ to something he didn’t have a name for, but people would probably call it ‘disgustingly drunk’; he had to ask the barkeeper what he was even drinking,

“It’s actually easy to find out, you’re just not in the right condition.” Sungyeol chuckled, helping Woohyun sit straight, inconspicuously slipping yet another sky-blue paper crane into his pocket.

“Why won’t you just tell me, you bastard?” Woohyun asked, wordlessly accepting the help he was receiving.

“I think you’ve had enough.” Sungyeol said then, changing the subject. “Let’s find a way to get you home. I think taxi’s going to be all right.”

Woohyun reluctantly got up from his stool, which was soon proved to be a bad idea as the ceiling suddenly turned out to be the floor and vice versa, left was right and out was in. Nonetheless, he didn’t fall down and instead soon breathed the night air as he found himself standing outside the bar.

“I think I spilled something on my jacket.” He muttered for himself, but loud enough for Sungyeol to hear.

He didn’t catch the smirk on the other’s face.

Before the taxi arrived, Woohyun managed to steady himself on his feet; it seemed as though the air chased some of the alcohol from his blood away. He glanced at Sungyeol who was rather impatiently staring at the road if there was a taxi coming.

“You know, this is the first time I see you not being calm.” Woohyun commented, observing the other’s legs moving back and forth in order to warm up the rest of the body.

“I’m perfectly calm.” Sungyeol answered, “It’s just bloody cold.” He added, eyes settling back on the not so busy road.

“Is it?” Woohyun uttered and without giving it a second thought he made two steps and wrapped his arms around Sungyeol’s waist from behind, resting his chin on his left shoulder. It seemed to have caught Sungyeol off guard, but Woohyun didn’t quite care at that moment. He felt the warmness spreading through his body; even Sungyeol relaxed after a few seconds.

“Thanks…” Woohyun started then, staring at the road with the other. “For today, I guess I needed to… you know. I needed this.”

“Glad I could help.” Sungyeol smiled. “The taxi’s here. Go home and sleep it out.” He said, unlocking Woohyun’s arms around his waist and sent the other off. “Don’t forget to empty the pockets before you wash it.” He called after him, motioning to the jacket and then went back inside the bar.

It was quite amazing how the memories kept coming without much trying, Woohyun thought. His actions made him blush a bit, though he didn’t regret anything. Before he went back to sleep, he swore he’d never drink in Sungyeol’s presence again.

The clouds were gathering above Myungsoo’s head. It was cold that day, it seemed as though it was going to snow soon. He wouldn’t wonder if it really started to; winters for the past few years always started in November and ended in March if not April.

He liked to come to the roof of the school where he met Woohyun for the first time whenever he was depressed, sad or just for the heck of it. The environment there reminded him of the good old times and managed to chase his problems away at least for a while. He breathed calmly as he sat on the edge and watched his legs dangle in the wind.

That afternoon though the thoughts about his troubles were reluctant to go, even for that little while. He blamed his mind for thinking too much about things that did not matter that much; sometimes he thought he was worse than a teenage girl th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter