Paper Hearts

30-Day Drabble Challenge

Title: Paper Hearts
Pairing: MinKey
Genre: Angst (with a happy ending)
Rating: G
A/N: This is very cheesy, corny, and a bit cliché, but I enjoyed writing it. I usually don’t write fluff, but anyway, Happy Belated Valentine’s Day!

Twenty-three, Twenty-four, Twenty-five…

It was very bizarre for the dorm to be quiet. Kibum would usually be yapping on the phone while rummaging around the house or annoying the members to no end. But not today. Minho wanted to figure out what changed in Kibum because it was uncharacteristic for him to be cooped up in his room. In fact, it was disturbing. He wasn’t about to let Kibum stay that way so he got off the couch, remote in hand, and headed towards the closed door. He opened the door and stuck his head in.

Thirty-one, Thirty-two, Thirty-three…

Minho didn’t expect to find Kibum sitting crossed-legged on the floor. He saw colorful paper scraps scattered across the floor encircling Kibum. What intrigued Minho the most was a mason jar that stood in between the gap of Kibum’s thighs filled with what looked like miniature origami hearts. Kibum jumped at his sudden presence. He ripped a neon pink slip of paper in the process, looking crossed.

Thirty-three…

Minho cleared his throat and asked, “So, um…what are you doing?” He tried to sound as un-intrusive as possible because he didn’t want to upset an already startled Kibum.

“Taking fate into my own hands.”

“And what do you plan to accomplish?”

“True love.” Kibum said, without skipping a beat. Though he sounded confident, he made no eye contact throughout the entire exchange.

Thirty-four...

Minho watched for a while before exiting. He didn’t have the heart to tell Kibum that his plan wasn’t going to work but he let Kibum believe in whatever made him hopeful.

A Thousand Paper Hearts Later…

Minho entered the dorm. He finished drinking with his hyungs because it was just another day. He had ten minutes left until another ordinary day began. Although he was buzzed, he didn’t miss the heavy, overwhelming smell of burnt paper clearing his other senses. He saw the empty mason jar on the mantelpiece and Kibum sitting on the loveseat, knees up, with his head resting on his crossed arms. He looked as if he started the fire with his eyes alone.

 “Did it work?” Minho asked.

“Obviously not.”

“How do you know?”

“Well, let’s see,” Kibum said. “I’m still here. Alone.”

“You have me.”

But Kibum continued like he didn’t hear him. “I mean, I shouldn’t be here. I should be out and about…Why me? I’m handsome and engaging…I make the perfect eligible bachelor.”

“You’re also vain.” Minho added. He strolled over to the couch where Kibum shoved him.

That didn’t deter him from sitting next to Kibum anyway.  He knew Kibum wasn’t finished talking so he waited, challenging Kibum by meeting his eyes. Kibum was the first to break eye contact. He continued to stare down at the wooden floor, something he usually did when he was unsure of himself.

Kibum asked, “Will you be my Valentine?”

That was all Minho needed to hear. He knew it wasn’t yet true love, but this was close enough. He wrapped his arms around Kibum in a comfortable embrace. They both stayed like that for the rest of that day, watching the fire animate their living room.

In the last minute he realized the message Kibum was trying to convey all along: His love burns for Minho with an intensity of 1000 paper hearts on fire.