Chapter 7

Suju By the Dozen

Jungsoo stayed on the couch after that.

Heechul called Kangta to help drive them to school and cook food for them.

Jungsoo couldn't breathe right. Each breath seemed to hurt. His eyes were itchy and achy from crying so much. His mouth dry.

He refused to eat.

Or drink.

Or talk.

"Jungsoo, please. Eat something." Kangta coaxed whenever he'd come by. "Jungsoo eat something or I'll call the ambulance."

But he never did.

He knew Jungsoo had to go through this.

I deserve this...I shouldn't have lied. I shouldn't have lied to Kangin...

Kangin...I was going to tell you...

The man hadn't called or visited.

He really was gone...just like his wife.


"Is Daddy going to die?" Henry spoke up as he, Sungmin and the others ate at the dining table.

"Hopefully." Heechul muttered.

"Heechul!" Kangta gasped.

"Heechul do you know what happened that night?" Sungmin spoke up. The boy had been acting sulkier than usual.

Everyone looked at him, curious.

"Dad was ing a guy all this time."

"ing?" Kyuhyun asked.

"No Kyuhyun, that's not a word we use." Kangta warned. He glanced at Heechul. "What do you mean?"

"I mean he's a ing queer!" Heechul growled.

"You mean he was...seeing Youngwoon?" Kangta asked surprised."I thought he was acting this way because of your mother."

"He lied to us...even to him."

"What do you mean...Youngwoon found out Jungsoo had kids?" Kangta shook his head. "Poor fellow."

"Poor us! He lied to us! He said he was with a friend. He could have told us he was gay! What the hell! He lied to my mom all those years and now--" Heechul stabbed his chopsticks into his rice and stood up.

"Heechul!" Kangta called after him, but the boy ran up the stairs to his room.

“Oooh! Kangta! Heechul stabbed his chopsticks in the bowl!!!” Kibum pointed dramatically.

Kangta sighed and reached over and unstuck them from the rice.

"Kangta?"

Kangta turned back to Sungmin.

"I think my dad loved Mr. Youngwoon."

"He must have if he's crying this much." Kangta agreed.

"So, Dad likes a boy but he don't like Dad?" Eunhyuk spoke up.

"Maybe that boy is ugly! Dad needs someone pretty!" Zhou Mi defended. “Like Andre Kim!”

"Father needs a cootie shot!" Kyuhyun yelled.

"Daddy is love sick, Kangta?" Ryeowook asked.

Kangta nodded. "Don't worry. He'll get over it."

Not without my help. Sungmin thought determinedly.

He'd find a way to help his father.


"How could I have worried all this time about what my Dad was going to think when he's been doing the same thing?!"

"Is your Dad okay?"

"Why is everyone so worried about him? I'm not doing well either!"

"Heechul...your dad sounds like he's doing bad."

"He deserves it!" Heechul insisted.

"If I broke up with you how would you feel?"

Heechul hesitated. How would he feel?

"That can't happen. We've already planned where our honeymoon is going to be."

"But what if it did?"

"Hangeng..."

"Put yourself in your Dad's shoes, 'Rella."

"Hangeng that's not fair! I'm--"

"Your not the one who's boyfriend and kids hate you right now."

"I guess..." Heechul sighed. "Thanks for making me feel sympathy."

"No problem."

"Heechul?" Sungmin walked into the boy's bedroom.

"I'll call you later. Bye Hangeng."

"Bye Hee."

Heechul hung up and set his phone aside. "What do you want? Did you forget there's a door and you need to knock?"

Sungmin frowned. "Heechul I need your help."

"With what?"

"I want to find him."

"Him?"

"Kim Youngwoon."

"That guy?!" Heechul sat up. "Why?"

"I need to help him cure Dad's love sickness." Sungmin said seriously.

"What?" Heechul barked. "Love sickness?! That's not a disease!"

"Heechul! Dad won't stop crying. Henry's starting to cry now. Ryeowook too!"

"How are we even supposed to find him?"

"Kibum found this in Dad's wallet." Sungmin handed Heechul a photo of his father and the Kim Youngwoon guy at some radio station.

"Okay. So he works at a radio station or something?"

Sungmin pointed at the background.

"89.1 Kiss the Radio..." Heechul read the banner then looked back at Sungmin.

"Google it!" Sungmin said exasperated.


"I can't believe I'm doing this!"

"Kangta just follow his car. It's not a big deal." Heechul muttered as he slipped on a pair of sunglasses. He handed another pair to Sungmin and Kangta.

Kangta gave him a look like he was crazy, but put them on anyway.

They waited for what felt like hours, Sungmin was beginning to nod off until...

"Whoa! There he is!" Heechul exclaimed.

"H-huh?!"

Sungmin opened his eyes.

"He's going into his car! Sungmin, Kangta!"

Kangta yawned. "I'm on it."

Youngwoon was walking outside of the radio station, he looked very grim as if a relative of his had just died. His outfit entirely black also gave off the feel of mourning.

"He's love sick too." Sungmin commented sadly.

Youngwoon pulled out his phone looked at it with a nostalgic sort of look then went over to his car. It was parked right in front of Kangta's.

Heechul and Sungmin ducked as Youngwoon looked in their direction. Kangta whistled and looked away, trying to appear casual.

Youngwoon didn't seem to acknowledge them and instead climbed into his car.

Once the car started, the man sat there for a minute before finally driving off.

"Let's go!" Heechul hissed.

Kangta started the car and drove after him quickly.

"God, this is so obvious." He said with a sigh.

“Well don't make it! Let another car go in front of us!” Heechul ordered.

Kangta gave him a look. “You seem to be missing some honorifics there...”

“There's no time for honorifics!” Heechul said exasperated as Youngwoon's car made a sharp left turn.

Kangta rolled his eyes and muttered something to himself before making a left turn as well.

Youngwoon's car made several turns until it finally came to a old looking neighborhood. The houses and apartments were neatly decorated with a touch of feminism.

Elderly women were seen walking up and down streets, greeting each other in a friendly manner.

“What is this place?” Heechul asked looking around with distaste. “Halmoni Village?”

“A lot of elderly women that suffered in the Korean War live here.” Kangta explained. “It's very cheap and convient, which is probably why Kim Youngwoon decided to rent here.”

“Man that guy better not be too cheap for my Dad.” Heechul muttered, as they came to a stop. Kangta found a parking spot between two cars while Youngwoon's car went into a parking lot underneath the apartments.

“Let's get out so we don't miss him!” Sungmin said hastily sliding the van door open.

“Kangta are you getting off?” Heechul asked he got out of the passenger side.

Kangta shook his head. “I'll wait here. I don't want to get some ridiculously expensive parking ticket.”

Heechul and Sungmin agreed then took off to stand beside the apartment entrance.

“When he comes you grab his legs and I'll go for the torso.”

“Hyung, we're not going to attack him like that.” Sungmin said.

“Right. We're attacking with words.” Heechul sighed.

“Wait, what if he goes through the parking lot entrance?” Sungmin asked.

“What?”

“You know how parking lots have entrances into the apartments?”

“!”

Sungmin crossed his fingers. Please let Youngwoon come up this way.

Please!

They had to talk to him. He had to forgive his Dad.

His poor father's heart was at its limit.

Please Youngwoon...

“Sungmin!” Heechul slapped the boy's shoulder.

He looked up and saw the man walking towards them.

Youngwoon looked slightly surprised but didn't recognize them. Sungmin realized they were still wearing the sunglasses. He also realized how foolish they must have appeared a kid and a teen in sunglasses blocking an apartment entrance.

“Excuse me.” Youngwoon said politely when he reached them.

Sungmin looked up. Wow he's handsome up close...

Heechul must have been thinking the same thing because he failed to react.

Youngwoon smiled, unfazed by their silence. “Are you guys here to visit your grandmother?”

“Ah...no...” Sungmin looked at Heechul for help. When the boy didn't acknowledge Sungmin's stare he gave him a pinch in the arm.

“Ow.” Heechul jumped and gave him a glare. He then turned back to Youngwoon. “You!” He pointed at him.

“Whoa!” Youngwoon dodged the finger.

“You ruined my Dad!”

“Huh?”

Heechul yanked off his glasses. “Hello Kim Youngwoon.

Youngwoon's eyes widened. “Hey! You're that rude kid! What the—what are you doing here?!”

Sungmin took off his sunglasses. This wasn't what he had been going for, but they had Youngwoon's attention. “Youngwoon sir...”

“Who are you calling sir?” Youngwoon rounded on him. His eyes widened even more when he recognized Sungmin as well. “How did you get here?”

“We need to talk to you!” Sungmin pleaded.

“Apologize fool!” Heechul barked.

“Please can we have a second?”

“You smell like old lady!”

“Hyung!” Sungmin cried, exasperated.

The boy relented. “Alright, sorry. Youngwoon Kim, we need to talk.”

“Look, I don't know how you found me, but you kids need to go home. Your father and I used to be friends, but we're not anymore okay?”

“We all know you two were ing.” Heechul in a straight-forward tone as if talking to a child.

Youngwoon gaped. “You have quite a mouth for a kid.”

“I'm not a kid. I'm 14.”

“Yeah, that's a kid.”

Heechul tossed a bang out of his face. “Whatever, ajusshi.”

“Don't call me that!”

“Youngwoon, sir.”

“Please not that either.” Youngwoon pleaded Sungmin.

“Youngwoon sunbaenim. Our Dad is really sad. He can't do anything. He's been on the couch for months.”

“It's been 2 weeks.”

“Exactly!” Heechul in. “It's so bad it feels like months.”

“He's sorry he lied to you. He's so sorry he apologizes in his sleep.” Sungmin went on.

“Yeah he always whines. 'Kangin, Kanginnn'.” Heechul whined in a falsetto girly voice.

“It's not like that. Dad's voice is deeper.” Sungmin corrected. “It goes 'Kanginnnn, ahhhh Kanginnnn. With a moan at the end.”

“No that's when he's having wet dreams!”

“Um...” Kangin blushed slightly. “Should you guys be telling me this?”

“If you saw how pathetic he's acting maybe you'd want to go out with him again?” Sungmin asked eagerly.

“No...”

Sungmin gave a kicked puppy look.

“I love your Dad, but sending his kids to get me back is pretty...”

“He didn't send us.” Heechul shook his head. “We came ourselves. Actually it was Sungmin's idea to come here.”

“Really?” Youngwoon looked at Sungmin.

Sungmin perked up with a quick nod.

“Why?”

“My Dad needs you.” Sungmin said.

“Hate to admit it, but he does. “ Heechul said in agreement. “We need you too. So he can finally cook. We haven't eaten anything besides rice and instant ramyun.” He added.

Youngwoon let out a chuckle. “I didn't know it was that bad.”

“Dad lied to us too. But we forgive him. You should forgive him too.” Sungmin advised.

Youngwoon's smile faded into a troubled frown.

“Think about it.” Heechul added, grabbing Sungmin by the arm. “We have to go.”

“Bye Youngwoon sunbaenim!” Sungmin waved.

Youngwoon looked up and waved.

As the two got in the car, Kangin noticed Kangta in the driver's seat.

“Is that Ryeowook?” He called.

Sungmin and Kangta exchanged a glance.

“Actually my name's Kangta.” Kangta called back.

Youngwoon raised his eyebrows.

“Oh come on!” Heechul yelled. “What's one more lie?”

Sungmin thought he saw a ghost of a smile on Youngwoon's lips at his brother's words but he couldn't be sure.


Do you guys think Youngwoon will forgive Jungsoo?