Chapter 3

Suju By the Dozen

Next time never came, after nursing his hang over and walking all the way to the ramen shop like an idiot because he had taken up on Youngwoon’s offer to be driven home when he himself had come in a car, Youngwoon texted him the whole day and the whole week afterwards.

They became inseparable.

And Jungsoo became despaired.

He tried so hard to keep his kids out of his life. He had even taken the family photo of him and his wife and kids out of his wallet for fear of Youngwoon looking through it. It was getting harder and harder to hide it.

And so a month and a half passed.


“Am I finally allowed to see your house, O secretive one?” Youngwoon joked as he and Jungsoo got out of his car.

Jungsoo found out Youngwoon worked at a radio station as a host not too far from where he lived, and after cleaning the whole house and locking all the doors to his kids’ rooms he finally invited him over for his lunch break.

“Yes, O prying one.” Jungsoo joked back.

His smile faded as his next door neighbor Kangta stormed over from their parallel lawns.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

“Wait here.” He told Youngwoon and ran over meeting Kangta halfway and far away from Youngwoon’s ears.

“Kangta, friend…” Jungsoo chuckled weakly.

Kangta looked anything but friendly.

“Jungsoo.” His voice was tight. “I’ve had it up to here with your kids.”

“Oh no. What’d they do?” Jungsoo groaned.

“They teepeed my lemon tree!” Kangta exclaimed. He shoved the roll of toilet paper he had in his hand at Jungsoo’s chest.

“Kangta I’m so sorry.”

“Look, I’ve taken them to school, I’ve babysat them when you were with Heechul in the hospital, but I don’t like being taken advantage of!”

“I’m sorry Kangta. You have every right to be upset. But please.” Jungsoo pulled the man in closer. “You see that guy?”

Kangta looked over at Youngwoon. “What about him? He’s a little chubby...”

“He’s perfectly fine.” Jungsoo defended.

Kangta gave him a look.

“Anyway, he’s a new friend I’ve made and I haven’t quite…told him about my kids…”

Kangta’s eyes went wide. “You haven’t told him you have 12 kids?!”

“Sh!” Jungsoo looked over his shoulder and smiled at Youngwoon.

Youngwoon smiled back.

“Jungsoo, I don’t know whether to be happy you’re finally enjoying yourself or angry you’re deceiving that poor chubby man.”

“He’s not chubby!” Jungsoo snapped. “He’s…hunky. And I’ve been meaning to tell him, but I don’t want him to think I’m crazy.”

“You cannot lie about something that is already seen as true.” Kangta stated.

“You’re calling me crazy?” Jungsoo gave him a look.

Kangta mouth twitched into the beginnings of a smile. “Maybe…”

Kangtaaaaa…” Jungsoo whined.

Whaaaaat?

“Please don’t say anything.”

“Alright I won’t.” Kangta promised. “But you really should tell him.”

“I will.” Jungsoo called. “Thanks so much, oh and by the way your name is Ryeowook.”

“Jungsoo!” Kangta gaped.

“Bye Ryeowook!” Jungsoo yelled waving as he walked over to Youngwoon. He handed the younger man the roll of toilet paper wordlessly.

“Bye Crazy!”

Youngwoon laughed and Jungsoo frowned.

Touché, Kangta, touché.


“Your house is really nice and big! Like a rich person's.” Youngwoon commented as they sat down to eat some beef with vegetables.

“Thanks.”

“But who’s Leeteuk?” Youngwoon said making Jungsoo choke on a grain of white rice.

“W-where’d you see that?” He asked once he’d coughed it up.

“In a picture, of you and your wife.” Youngwoon said. “It was scribbled on. It said Daddy Leeteuk and Mama Sora. What kind of pet names were those?”

Jungsoo blushed for the 100th time since he’d met Youngwoon.

The picture Youngwoon was talking about had been drawn on by Sungmin when he was six. Jungsoo thought it was so cute that he had framed it on the wall. He had nearly forgotten about that, thank God Youngwoon assumed it was pet names.

“Well, um…they used to call me Leeteuk back in high school and that’s when we met.” Jungsoo explained.

“Oh, so she just added the ‘Daddy’ part huh?” Youngwoon grinned.

Jungsoo fanned his face knowing it was full blown red.

Youngwoon laughed. “I like that name.” He said. “It sounds unique. I had a nickname too back in high school; some old friends still call me it.”

“What is it?”

“Kangin.”

Kangin…Kang Sora…

Jungsoo felt his heart stop for a second.

Why were there so many things tying Youngwoon and his wife together?

Why was he trying so hard to compare them?

He was a friend and Sora had been a lover.

Too different…

“Strength and benevolence.” Jungsoo pondered. “Seems legit.”

“Of course.” Youngwoon winked.

“Don’t get too cocky, Kangin!”

“Wouldn’t dream of it Leeteuk.”

They laughed and continued their meal.

After they finished up, Jungsoo walked Youngwoon to his car.

“We should meet up this weekend.” The younger man spoke as he opened his car door.

“Hm.” Jungsoo nodded.

“You can come over my house.” Youngwoon smiled.

“That seems fair.”

“I have the complete boxed set of Cinderella Sister.” Youngwoon added.

“You’re inviting me over your house to watch a melodrama?”

“Don’t give me that look! I was serious about liking melodramas!”

“So was I!” Jungsoo protested. “It’s just…” he began to giggle.

“What?” Youngwoon demanded.

“You just look so cute admitting it.”

Youngwoon gave a pout. “Hyuuuuunngggg!!” He whined in a high pitched voice.

Jungsoo laughed.

“Maybe you could even sleep over?” Youngwoon suggested as he got into the car.

“Yeah…”

He’d have to arrange for Kangta to check in on the kids. Maybe stay the night at the house, just in case.

Aigoo…should I really ditch my kids again?

“Jungsoo?”

Jungsoo blinked. “Eh?”

“I said is it alright to call you Leeteuk?”

“I…” Jungsoo trailed off.

It had been a very long time since he’d been called that. Hearing it from old friends and relatives didn’t sound as nice as when his wife would say it, so he forced everyone to call him Jungsoo.

That way he could keep the memory of his wife buried with Leeteuk.

“It’s okay…maybe we’re not there yet.” Youngwoon joked, trying to lighten the sudden nostalgia.

“Yeah, maybe not yet.” Jungsoo agreed with a weak smile.

He didn’t want to say that maybe they’d never be there because no one could ever be like his wife, but he kept quiet.

“Same goes for you then.” Youngwoon waggled a finger at him. “No calling me Kangin. You got to earn this.” He waved at his face.

Jungsoo ruffled his hair playfully. “Whatever you say Kangin.”

“Yah! Aish! Forbidden Word! ” Youngwoon slapped his hand away.

Jungsoo smiled. “Bye. Be careful. Don’t drink and drive.”

“Okay.”

“Do a good job. Maybe I’ll listen to your radio broadcast.”

“Please don’t, you’re going to make me nervous knowing you’re listening to me.”

“We’re friends right?” Jungsoo folded his arms. “I have to support you.”

“Yeah, but still.” Youngwoon frowned.

“Just get out of here!” Jungsoo teased.

“Alright alright. Bye hyung.”

“Bye.”

Youngwoon pulled out of the driveway, just as Heechul walked up to the house. He stared after the car as it drove off. He then saw his father waving after it.

“Who was that?”

Jungsoo jumped not noticing Heechul approaching. “Hey. How’d you get home?”

Whoa! That was close!

“Hangeng’s mother dropped me off.” Heechul said. “Who was that?”

He obviously wasn’t going to let it go.

“Hangeng’s mom? I didn’t know she could drive.”

“Dad, stop avoiding the question.”

Straight to the point, just like his mother...

“A friend.”

“Is it that ‘friend’ you’ve been running away with every weekend?” Heechul scoffed.

“I haven’t been running away!” Jungsoo protested.

He and Heechul entered the house and Heechul plopped onto the couch in the living room.

“Dad, it’s okay if you’re dating. I’m not judging.”

Jungsoo took a seat on the couch beside him. “Honestly Heechul. It’s just a friend. In fact, I’m hanging out with him again this weekend. I might stay over, I’ll tell Kangta to come over and stay the night over here okay?”

“Whateves.” Heechul sighed laying back and closing his eyes.

“I’m going to go pick up your brothers.” Jungsoo then sat up.

“You better tell him soon.” Heechul spoke up as Jungsoo turned his back ready to leave.

Jungsoo froze.

What?

How did Heechul know?

How long had he known?

Did he tell anyone?

Jungsoo’s heart began racing with a sense of fear. He swallowed hard before speaking.

“W-what?”

“You better tell Kangta about you leaving.” Heechul said. “You know how he hates being told at the last minute.”

“Oh. Y-Yeah I will.”

His heart gave a big sigh of relief. And he left the house nearly gushing from the possible heart attack he could have had.

That was waaay too close…I really have to tell Youngwoon.


“Yo.”

Jungsoo looked down at his small Pokémon bag (that he had stolen from Kyuhyun’s closet) with an embarrassed smile.

On his way over he had gotten looks from the residents of the other apartments down the hall. He guessed they weren’t used to seeing Youngwoon have guests.

They whispered among themselves, mostly inaudible to Jungsoo’s ears.

Until…

I knew he was gay.”

The loud comment from an old auntie, hit Jungsoo hard.

He became so flustered he tripped over his feet. Luckily, he made it in one piece to the door of Youngwoon’s apartment.

“You seem…” Youngwoon trailed off catching Jungsoo’s stance and stuck his head out to see what had caused it.

He caught the eyes of the people in the hallway whispering and looking at Jungsoo.

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESSES YOU NOSY HENS!

Jungsoo cringed as he yelled. He then pulled Jungsoo in by the arm and slammed the door behind him.

“Youngwoon…”

Some people! I swear! Everyone in this place is so nosy. Can’t even bring a friend…” He trailed off grumbling.

“Youngwoon…” Jungsoo had regained most of his color; his cheeks still a slight pink. “They didn’t think I was your friend…”

Youngwoon looked up. “Oh…ah really?” He smiled weakly.

“Maybe, I should go. I don’t want you to bear those kinds of rumors.”

“No.” Youngwoon shook his head. “Don’t go. Who cares what they think. Sit down, let’s watch Cinderella Sister.”

“But…”

Youngwoon grabbed the man’s shoulders and placed him on his worn leather couch.

Jungsoo smiled grateful. He truthfully, didn’t care either. It was a relief that Youngwoon let him stay.

“Do you like kimbap with cucumbers?” Youngwoon called from his small kitchen.

“Yes.” Jungsoo replied. He set his stuff beside him then dug through it to pull out a box of popcorn. He hoped Youngwoon liked extra butter.

“I tried to make them like you told me but I can’t really cook that well.”

“I’m sure they’re great.” Jungsoo said.

“That’s what you said about my kimchi.” Youngwoon pouted.

Jungsoo turned around on the couch with a grin. Youngwoon looked up from his kimbap rolling and smiled as well.

Jungsoo then held up his popcorn box.

“There’s always Plan B.” He said.


It can’t be if it’s not you…I can’t be without you…it’s okay if I’m hurt for a day and a year like this…

it’s fine even if my heart’s hurts…yes because I’m just in love with you…”

Jungsoo was curled up on the couch beside Youngwoon, the popcorn and tray of kimbap in between them. Jungsoo was already beginning to spill tears as the credits for the second episode rolled on.

He heard Youngwoon sniff beside him and he looked over letting out a sobbing laugh and the sight of Youngwoon’s tear rimmed eyes.

“Stop hyung! Look away!” Youngwoon protested covering his eyes with a pillow.

Jungsoo pulled it away, laughing harder until Youngwoon finally punched his arm.

“Ow, okay, I’ll stop!” He cried.

“You shouldn’t even be laughing! You were crying too.” Youngwoon accused.

“You’re right. I’m sorry.”

Youngwoon gave him a smile then went back to watching the drama. Jungsoo glanced at him every so often realizing Youngwoon behaved almost exactly like his wife had.

In fact his wife loved melodramas and popcorn and was bad at cooking.

Where were all these coincidences coming from?

He mentally shook his head.

No, stop comparing everyone to Sora.

It’s been so long…please.

Move on.

He then shivered when he felt a hand on his. He turned quickly and saw Youngwoon wrapping his hand around his.

“Youngwoon what are you…”

The younger man smiled. “You made me your Promise Keeper right?”

Jungsoo nodded.

“I see the look on your face. Stop thinking sad things, understand?”

“What if I was thinking about the drama?” Jungsoo asked with a wry smile.

Youngwoon shrugged. “Then, you’d let go of my hand.”

Jungsoo looked down and noticed their hands were still entwined.

“I guess you’re right…” He agreed.

But he still didn’t let go of his hand.


Jungsoo was getting agitated. His relationship with Youngwoon was growing more and more intimate. They knew things about each other, personal things. They were both hurting from the women that had left them in their lives.

What if Youngwoon felt betrayed if he suddenly spewed the truth?

What if he didn’t want to hang out anymore?

All these questions knawed away at him as he spread out his blankets on the floor for a makeshift bed. He didn’t really enjoy sleeping on the floor, but he could bear with it for one night.

It was his punishment for not telling Youngwoon about his twelve—freaking—kids.

“What are you doing?!”

Jungsoo jumped at the sound of panic in Youngwoon’s voice. He whirled around to see Youngwoon with a toothbrush poking out of his foaming mouth.

“You scared me!” Jungsoo cried. He then regained his normal heartbeat rate before replying. “I’m making a bed.”

Youngwoon shook his head furiously.

“Well then where am I supposed to sleep Youngwoon?” Jungsoo gave a huff and put his hands on his hips.

Youngwoon pointed with his left hand to his bed.

“And where are you going to sleep?” Jungsoo raised his eyebrows.

Youngwoon pointed to the same place.

“Isn’t that a little…” Jungsoo bit his lip. He then eyed Youngwoon. “Are you trying to challenge the rumors?”

Youngwoon smirked slightly then walked back to the bathroom, wordlessly. Jungsoo gave a sigh and kicked away the blankets into a corner.

When Youngwoon came back Jungsoo was curled up into a ball under the covers. He felt Youngwoon walk over and crawl into the bed with him. It wasn’t that uncomfortable, but Jungsoo slide against the wall instinctively.

“Jungsoo.” Youngwoon called softly after a moment of silence.

“Hm?”

“Jungsoo.”

Jungsoo emerged from underneath the blanket and looked at him. “What?”

Youngwoon smiled. “There you are. I thought I lost you.”

Jungsoo slapped his arm. “You’re an idiot.”

“If you say so.” The bigger man sat up and gave him a look, suddenly growing serious. “I really enjoy hanging out with you hyung.”

Jungsoo felt his stomach turn to knots.

You wouldn’t say that if you knew I was lying.

“I haven’t had a good friend like this in a while.” Youngwoon went on.

No please stop saying things.

“We have a lot in common and it just feels right, you know?”

Please stop.

“This is a very good relationship and if anything bad happens between us I hope we can still be friends.”

“Youngwoon!” Jungsoo sat up quickly. “I have to tell you---”

He was cut off by a pair of lips.

Jungsoo’s brain momentarily shut down and he managed to let out a muffled noise as Youngwoon tore away, covering his own mouth with a scared face that Jungsoo had seen on his children.

It was the one that they wore when Heechul had gotten into a car accident or when their mother had died. The mortified look of losing someone.

“Young---”

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! I don’t know what—I didn’t—it was…” Youngwoon trailed off.

“It’s…it’s okay, Youngwoon.” Jungsoo found himself saying.

“Jungsoo…I…”

“We’re friends right?” Jungsoo cut in. “I’m not mad. It’s okay.”

“But Jungsoo I like you.”

“That’s okay too.”

Youngwoon gaped at him.

Jungsoo couldn’t believe he was acting this calm either, but he really was calm. It was as if he knew already.

He and Youngwoon had spent so much time together; it was only natural that some feelings would start to grow.

They were almost like a real couple.

They texted each other frequently.

They ate out together.

Jungsoo came to Youngwoon with any problem the same as Youngwoon did to Jungsoo.

Their constant touching and flirting were way past the friendzone level.

The auntie hadn’t been that far off...

“You’re saying you’re okay with this?”

Jungsoo nodded slowly.

Youngwoon began to laugh.

“Why are you laughing?”

“Because you’re okay with it!”

“That’s not a reason to laugh…” Jungsoo frowned.

Youngwoon leaned forward. Jungsoo ducked his head.

“Are you sure you’re okay with it? You look a little scared.”

Jungsoo looked up and leaned forward meeting Youngwoon’s lips slightly then pulling away.

“Yes.”

Youngwoon smiled then broke into another laugh.

“What now?”

"You kiss like a girl!"