Childhood Memories

Different?

“Hyung, you never ever waited for me …”

 

Jiyong whined with pouty lips, giving up the chase on Seunghyun as he plopped down to the ground, throwing his usual tantrums whenever he lost in the game of catch. He puffed up his cheeks, folded his arms and sat there cross-legged, knowing how Seunghyun would always run back for him. After a few minutes which seemed like eternity, Jiyong could see a familiar figure running towards him. He smiled blissfully. It was not any other person but his favourite Seunghyun, his beloved hyung, his only and only Hyunnie.

 

“YAH YAH YAH! Ji, it’s late already, we have to go home now!”          

 

Seunghyun called out to Jiyong from across the football field, but that lazy refused to budge. He knew Jiyong was waiting for him to hold his hand before he would finally agree to go home. Unknowingly, for the past few years, meeting every afternoon under the old oak tree at the football field has become their daily routine.

 

---

 

Seunghyun knew Jiyong back when they were 5, when Jiyong just moved in to the neighbourhood. The Kwons are known to be one of the wealthiest household in South Korea, owning companies to properties and you could say that the money they have is enough to last them for 5 generations. Despite being born with a silver spoon in his mouth, Jiyong never felt loved as his parents are always either at work or flying from countries to countries to make business deals. Jiyong felt really lonely, until he met Seunghyun.

 

(Flashback)

 

Seunghyun, 5 then, jumped off from his seat in his mom’s car excitedly; as he made his way into the kindergarten he’s attending, with his mom following behind.

 

“Seunghyun dear, please be careful, don’t trip and wait for umma!”

 

“Arasseo, umma, Seunghyun is a good boy!”

 

“Neh~ Our Seunghyun is the best~”

 

His mom said while chuckling at how cute her son can be sometimes, and how she can never stay mad at him even if he does something wrong. Mrs Choi handed Seunghyun’s belongings to the teacher before signalling him to come to her, giving him a hug and a big smooch on his chubby cheeks before leaving.

 

“Be good to your teachers and friends, baby, I’ll come back for you later in the evening! Have fun!”

 

In spite of her busy schedules as the CEO of CSH Entertainment, a company which handles Seoul’s top artistes and models, Mrs Choi never fails to send her son to school everyday. She waved heartily at her son, who’s already so engrossed in playing in the Kindergarten’s blocks corner before driving off.

 

Seunghyun is playing at the usual corner, but today, he felt that a pair of eyes staring at him, observing his every move. He looked around the place and he noticed a boy sitting at one corner of the class, watching him play with the blocks. The boy looked gloomy, with a frown on his face, but Seunghyun was amazed at how good looking he is as a boy. The boy’s hair was as brown as his hazelnut-coloured eyes, his skin as fair as though he hasn’t been out in the sun at all, and his lips are getting a little too red from his lip-bite. Seunghyun stood up, wanting to approach the boy but hesitated because the boy looked like he’s gonna bite anymore who stands any closer. Being his friendly self, Seunghyun walked towards him and stretched his hands out, putting on his brightest smile.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Seunghyun imnida! What is your name? Are you new here? Do you want to play with me?”

 

Jiyong sat there, looking at Seunghyun blankly. No one has ever bothered to notice him and what more to asked him to play together. He didn’t know how to react to situations like this; he was a little confused, lost to be exact.

 

“No.”

 

That was all Jiyong could say and he kept quiet after that. Seunghyun, being the friendly one, reached for his own pocket, grabbed the candy that his mom gave him, and puts it in Jiyong’s hand.

 

“Umma say this is a happy candy. You don’t look happy, so you can have my happy candy today.”

 

Jiyong did nothing but to look at Seunghyun. It was the first time someone is being so nice to him …