Keychains

50 First Dates

Southern California. Beaches. Sun. Surf. Fun. Boys.

 

I always had the privilege of living here ever since I moved from my home to the other side of the Pacific Ocean. There were hardly any bad weather days on the sunny coast in Newport Beach and every day was a beach day. I guess that’s how I found myself strolling down the sidewalk of the local shops on the beachfront, hand-in-hand with Sehun, a cute boy I met in my college math class.

 

I pulled him towards an ice cream cart, pulling out my wallet. Sehun bought a double-sticked pop, splitting it, each of us taking a half. I happily ate the icy treat, resuming our walk down the sunny coast. We were nearly done with our treats when shops began to pop up here and there around the beach.

 

“Wanna go see what’s inside?” I teased, watching as Sehun stared wide eyed at window displays.

 

Sehun smiled, biting his lip as he pointed out a shop on the corner of the road that sold various souvenirs. I rolled my eyes as he pulled me towards the door. Inside, he headed straight for the hats, placing one on my head.

 

“You look cute, Lulu,” he smirked, turning me towards the mirror so I could check out the funny hat he had put on my head. I blushed a little, grabbing a really small hat and plopping it on Sehun’s head.

 

He looked in the mirror and busted up laughing when he saw how huge the hat made his head look. We continued trying on floppy large hats and mini children’s hats. We also accessorized with shelled necklaces and overly large sunglasses.

 

“Take a picture, quick!” I cheered, grabbing my phone from my pocket, posing next to Sehun in our goofy get up. He held up a quick peace sign right before I snapped a picture.

 

“Let me see,” he said, taking the phone from my hands, a smile lighting up his face as he saw the two of us.

 

“Send this to me later, please,” he said, placing the phone in my back pocket, wrapping me in his arms.

 

I snuggled up close to him, resting my head against his chest, closing my eyes for a moment. I felt so warm with Sehun even though we had just started dating. He was like a piece of my life I had not known I was missing. Sehun was always there for me when I needed it, but he didn’t smother me as past guys had. I sighed, content.

 

I pulled away, looking around the shop for more knick knacks. It was Sehun this time who rolled his eyes as I pointed out some keychains on a turntable display near the cash register. There were quite a few different types, including ones with pictures of the shore, little beach items, or the classic ‘Newport Beach’ spelled out. I scratched my head, turning the display over and over trying to find just the right one.

 

“Yah, Lu, if you turn that any more you will break it,” Sehun teased, wrapping his arms around me from behind, resting his head on me as I continued searching.

 

I finally picked out two little surf boards with a floral design - a white one for me and a black one for Sehun. I wiggled free from him and waved the cashier down, paying the amount needed for the two items. I turned to Sehun smiling. I held out my hand, but he just looked at it. I shook it emphasizing my request was serious. Chuckling, he gave in, handing me his keys. I popped the little surfboard on the ring, giving them back to him so I could slip mine on.

 

I smiled, eyeing the trinket accompanying my key. I pocketed them, humming happily as I skipped out of the shop. I walked over to the sand and took my shoes off, sinking my toes into the soft terrain.

 

“Are you happy now that we have couple keychains?” Sehun asked behind me, taking off his shoes.

 

“Yes,” I nodded, beginning to walk towards the ocean. “Aren’t you?”

 

I felt his hand slip into mine as I reached the shoreline. We looked out over the rolling waves as the sun began to hide behind the horizon.

 

“I would be happy if...” Sehun finally began, pausing.

 

“If what?” I asked.

 

“If you would be my boyfriend so we could be a real couple with real couple keychains.”

 

“We weren’t real before?” I teased, about to playfully punch him when he stopped me, pulling me into a tender kiss. Oh Sehun or, should I say, oh, Sehun.

 
 
 

A/N: Thank you for reading! You have officially read my first EXO prompt~

I got this idea from my friend, both of us being Cali girls. Please comment below with Cali date ideas and don't forget to Subscribe!