OT12

The Secret and the Wish

The day after my first lesson with Kris, he introduced me to all the members. Since yesterday we didn't cover any actual Korean words or phrases, I still couldn't talk to any of them much. "An-Annyeonghaseyo." I bowed, even though foreigners were not required to in Korea. Most of them just replied, "Annyeong~", but ChanYeol ran up to me and gave me a noogie like we've been friends for years. Are all the members like this?

Kris introduced me to them in Korean and Chinese, and I only understood my name. Just stood there, not undersanding anything. I was unknowingly humming the tune to History and Lay suddenly broke into dance along with my humming. I stopped, because I didn't even know I was doing it. I was kinda embarassed of them hearing me...

"Do you know the dance?" Kris asked.

"Huh?" I asked while turning my head.

"The dance to History, do you know it?" I nodded. I actually knew all of EXO's dances, including the teasers.

"What other ones do you know?" He asked.

"Eheh..." I started, "All of them.." Rather than looking shocked, he looked impressed.

He said something to the others, which I guess was that I knew all their dances, because then Kai and Lay asked him something, which Kris translated into "They want to know if they could see you dance..?"

I didn't care really. I knew the rest of the members wouldn't make fun of my dancing. I'm also young and I won a few talent shows for dancing to EXO songs, so I have some confidence in myself. Unlike I thought I would, I didn't break down and forget every step I've ever learned to any dance ever.

I said yes and they started playing Time Control, where Kai and LuHan instantly came out and started dancing, leaving space for me in the middle.

When the song was over, they all clapped and (I think) complimented me. I donno, I couldn't tell. Lay asked Kris something, and he put on Phoenix. In my head I was just like

r u srs

am i being asked by lay to dance with him alone

i just

this is a dream

They kept on playing more songs until we ran out of dances. I knew every last one of them. I danced with all of them at once, just EXO-K, just EXO-M, and with just Kai --- a lot. Thank you, SM, for giving Kai so many solo teasers~

I was left sweating through my shirt, along with Kai, LuHan, and Lay. But especially Kai. I asked Kris to tell them I was getting changed into clean clothes and that I'd be back in a few minutes. He told them and they all nodded.

I walked out the door but then stopped to ask, "Hey, Kris.. where are the bathrooms again?" kind of sheepishly. He brought me there and even waited outside the bathroom until I was done.

I walked into the stall closest to the door to change. These were the cleanest bathroom stalls I have ever seen in my life. I haven't seen many, though. Just dirty ones in my school back in the USA. I've been to 7 schools in 8 years, because of many reasons, and one school, my sixth grade school, to be exact, had the dirtiest stalls I've ever seen. Grafitti all over, broken toilet paper holders, something sticky on the back of every toilet, etc. That's how I learned to hold it until I got home.

The clothes I put on were a black Assassin's Creed III t-shirt, jean shorts about up to my knees, and my favorite pair of black sneakers. When I walked out, Kris looked stunned. I think he's wondering what my shirt meant, and I was right, because he asked right afterwards. "Meh.. videogame stuff." I replied, and we walked back to the practice room.

 


 

They continued practicing until their usual time when they stop. Kris asked to talk for a little bit. I was thinking we could talk about stuff like how long he's been singing and dancing and stuff, but he didn't exactly have that in mind.

"I know something's on your mind." Kris said.

"Hm?" I asked. I really didn't know what he meant.

"You know, about us.." he said, referring to him and the other EXO members.

"Oh.." I sighed. "Yeah, I guess something like that.." I answered.

"What is it, exactly?" He asked.

"I know a little bit about the Chinese zodiac, but I heard Yin and Yang are kind of related to it. How so?" I replied. Kris stood up and leaned against the wall in the corner. He motioned his head in a way which I knew meant he wanted me to follow.

"As you may know," he started, "Yin is the black area of the Yin-Yang symbol, means overcast or negative literally. Yang is the white area of the symbol, means sunlight or positive literally. Yin-Yang represents opposite qualities or traits in all phenomenon and beings. For example,

Yin represents dark, cold, negative, empty, even number, female, etc.
Yang represents light, hot, positive, full, odd number, male, etc.

The entire circle symbolizes Tai-Chi (太極), the universe. In summary, Yin-Yang concept is that everything in nature has two opposite aspects, they are intertwined and bonded, their force induces and complements each other’s existence, and they keep each other balanced and in harmony."
 
"Enough with the lessons," I said, "Just tell me how they're related to the Chinese zodiac."
 
"Of the 12 zodiac animals in order, all the odd numbered animals are Yang and the even numbered animals are Yin. That is, the odd animals, the rat, tiger, dragon, horse, monkey, and dog, are Yang and the even numbered animals, the ox, rabbit, snake, sheep, rooster, and pig, are Yin." Kris said.
 
I nodded, noting that I understood. "Do they affect your personalities at all?" I asked. "Not as much as you would think they would." Kris said.
 
"Well.. it's time for today's Korean lesson!" I said excitedly. "Come on~" I skipped over to the corner we sit in every night. "Can we please learn some Korean today?" I laughed at my own remark.
 
 

 

After the lesson, I was sitting in my bed, all night, thinking,
 
I just really spent a day dancing with EXO, despite the fact that we can't communicate with words. I spent a day with my OT12 using the language of music and dance.