Theory 4

Theories

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."  -Love Actually

 




"Airports are sad places" 5 year old Kyungsoo concludes, "Airports are filled with people crying as the one they love leaves them".

Since then, Kyungsoo has hated airports. Throughout his childhood, there were many skipped school days and weekends when he had to go along with his parents on the boring one hour drive to the airport only to tearfully tell his mother goodbye. To Kyungsoo, airports were a place that oddly smelled like familiarity mixed with sadness and a tinge of anti-bacterial sanitizer.

Of course Kyungsoo's mother always came back though. But as young and naive as Kyungsoo was, he never really thought it through that his mom had to arrive at the airport before coming home. His parents always made a big deal out of the departing by having the whole family going and crying into a big mess before his mother left. But, when his mom comes home, he'll just get home from school one day to see her in the kitchen. And so, young Kyungsoo forever associated airports with departure and nothing else, because in the end, he has never stood at the arrivals gate.

It was also because airports meant that Kyungsoo had to depart for another summer far away from his friends. Kyungsoo has never been to summer school, but as odd as it was to say this, he had always felt jealous of his friends that did attend. Although, summer school meant learning, and homework; it also meant more memories and bonding time that Kyungsoo will never be a part of. And when summer ends, going to the airport only meant one thing: going back to school and droning teachers. It was during the end of summer when Kyungsoo was still in grade school that he first decided "airports are bad news".

As Kyungsoo grew up, airports were bittersweet at best. He had learned to live without his mom as a prominent figure in his life, and with the lack of time they spent together it just meant they didn't get along very well when his mom did come back. So somtimes when its time for Kyungsoo to visit the airport again, he thinks its good that his mom is departing for a few months.


Now though, as Kyungsoo grabs his luggage from the carousel and walks toward the arrivals gate, he feels anxious. Nerves wreck through Kyungsoo's body as his mind tells him nothing good turns out from being at an airport. But all his anxiety is wiped away the moment he walks out and sees his boyfriend jumping up and down holding an obnoxiously colored sign that says "Welcome Home Kyungie!!!" with tons and tons of hearts litered all across the posterboard. As Jongin spots Kyungsoo, his face lights up with happiness and he rushes over to Kyungsoo and throws his arm around the latter.

Kyungsoo blushes a deep red and brushes a light kiss on Jongin's lips.

"Hi Baby, I've missed you so much" Jongin whispers as his grip tightens and he lands shy kisses on Kyungsoo's cheeks and neck.

Kyungsoo chokes back a sob, "I've missed you too", this was the first time Kyungsoo has felt happiness at the airport. Looking around, Kyungsoo realized airports are not just about departure and tears; it is about the glee filled moment of reuniting, the patience of love, and the warmth of seeing the person you have missed. To Kyungsoo, airports will now forever be filled with memories of Jongin's bright smile and shining eyes; to Kyungsoo airports will now forever remind him of love.