Our Past Keeps Coming Back To Me

It Started With The Rain

Jihyun's POV

My heart is pounding so fast and tears kept falling down my cheeks like the rain outside. I'm hugging my knees up to my chest as the thunders echoed through my room. It's already half past 11 in the evening and I can't sleep because it's raining so hard and the weather's been like this for 5 hours now. I'm afraid that our house will be submerged in water again, just like what happened a year ago. And everything would be happening again just like last time.

You see, our house is just a few meters away from Han River and it is in a low land area. When it rains, the river overflows and water would submerge half of our first floor. But last year it was different...

Start of Flashback #1

"Jihyun! Wake up! We need to go!" Suho oppa taps my shoulder lightly but enough to wake me up.

"Why oppa? Where are we going?" I asked him, rubbing my eyes. He pulls me and placed me behind his back. I was shocked why he did that then I realized that a ruler of my bed is already submerged in the water.

"Oppa. Where are we going?" I asked tapping his shoulders. Tears are threatening to fall from my eyes.

"We're just going to the rooftop, Hyunnie-ah. We'll find some help from the patrolling polices so that we can go to the nearest evacuation center. Open this when we get there” he handed me an umbrella.

“Are we going to be okay?” I started opening the umbrella when Oppa went out the window and climbed to the roof. Tears are already falling from my eyes and I am trembling with fear.

“Don’t worry. We’ll be fine. Our clothes are already with abeoji on the roof.” He soothed me with his protective voice. I know that he will always be there for me.

“Why didn’t you wake me up? I should have helped you and omma and appa”

“We were startled because the water rose up fast. I didn’t get the chance to wake you up because I panicked.” He smiled sheepishly which made me smile too despite the devastation we’re experiencing right now.

We arrived on our roof and saw omma and appa with bags in their hands. Suho oppa placed me down but I didn’t want to let go.

He took one of the bags from omma before he smiled at me reassuringly and hugged me tighter.

I can see that our neighbors are also on their roofs and they’re just like us. Then one by one, patrol boats are starting to arrive. Next thing I knew, we were on the evacuation center.

End of Flashback

I started to move and pack my things. My hands are trembling because I know that any moment the water will rise again like last time. Then, as if on cue, appa came barging into my door and started to help me pack my things. I looked out the door and saw that the water is reaching the 2nd floor.

“Pack all the things you need honey. I have some boxes in the other room. I’ll go get them.” Then he left and quickly came back with several big boxes in his hands. Appa quickly placed my things in the boxes.

“Appa, I can do this. Just help omma.”

“Suho’s there already. He can handle it.”

“Appa, it’s okay. I’ll do this quickly and I know they need more help than me.”

“Araso aegi-ah. Just call us when you need help and constantly look if the water is rising.” He kissed my forehead and dashed out of my room.

I quickly cleaned my room, maybe it’s due to the adrenalines that are crazily active in my body right now. Suho oppa came in and I quickly hugged him. All my tears are flowing again.

“We’re going to be okay. Just like last time. Araso?” I just nodded.

Then I saw the patrolling boats again just outside my window and they helped us get to the evacuation center safely.

I sat there with our things while omma, appa and oppa are talking through their phones.

I swear that it was freezing cold here and I think that Omma noticed because I am really shaking like crazy. She sat there beside me and hugged me tightly. She kept on my hair to calm me down and hummed soothing lullaby.

After a few minutes, a familiar black van stopped in front of us. Then, two familiar persons walked to us and helped us put our things in the car. Of course, it was none other than Chanyeol, my best friend’s ex-best friend’s parents. They comforted my parents before we got into the car. Suho oppa sat beside me and lets me rest into his shoulders through the entire trip.

Arriving at their huge house floods my brain with all the memories Chanyeol and I made. I missed going here. It’s been a year since I went back here because of that one incident that ruined our friendship. We never talked to each other again and I never went back even though his parents keep on inviting me, I refused and gave reasons.

Once inside, Chanyeol and his noona were in the living room waiting for us, their guests. They quickly approached us and bowed when they saw us there.

Chanyeol hugged omma and appa, then he completely ignored me and went straight to Suho oppa. I just bowed at him out of politeness. Then, Unnie, who knows the whole story and who noticed my sudden sadness, placed her arms around my shoulders and took my bags.

She glared at Chanyeol and asked permission to the elders, “Omma, Appa, Abeoji and Eomeoni, I’ll just take Jihyun to her room so that she can rest already.” They said yes in unison. Omma and Appa kissed my forehead and Suho oppa smiled at me and mouthed “Good night”

Chanyeol’s parents also greeted me good night and told me to take care. I take one last look at Chanyeol who seemed to be engaged in taking with Oppa then followed Unnie to my usual room when I sleep here.

“I’ll just bring your things later and we’ll just fix them tomorrow. We’ll also talk tomorrow; we have some catching up to do. For now, wash yourself and take a rest.”

I nodded then hugged her “I miss you so much Unnie”

“You too. I miss you. Sleep now.” She broke the hug and went out.

Going out of the bathroom after freshening up, all of the things I packed were already in my room. I decided to roam around the room and checked some cabinets to see some of the things I left here. “Nothing much has changed.”

I sighed and opened the box where I put my favorite teddy bear and where I put the picture frames.

I sat on the bed and covered my feet with the blanket. I hugged the best teddy bear that Chanyeol gave me because it has the sweetest memory.

Start of Flashback #2

“Omma! Where is Chanyeol? Will he be able to go to my party?” I tugged on mom’s dress.

“Mianhe aegi-ah. Her mom called and said that Chanyeol is sick today so he can’t go.”

I eventually survived my party without him and was about to sleep when Oppa knocked on my door and told me that someone is looking for me.

I grumpily went downstairs then I saw Chanyeol wrapped in thick blanket with his parents by his side.

 “Hi Jihyunnie. Happy Happy Birthday,” he said weakly.

“Happy Birthday Jihyun!” his parents said in unison.

“Kamsahabnida eomeoni, abeoji” you bowed and hugged them.

“Channie-ah, why did you still go here? You’re too sick. Look at you,” I said in a motherly tone and touched his very hot forehead.

“Mianhe. I know you will be sad if I didn’t go here. And I came to give you this.” He took a big box behind his back and handed it to me. I peeked inside and got shocked when he got the teddy bear that I’ve always wanted.

My smile got wider and hugged him tightly. “Thank you so much Channie. You’re really the best best friend I ever had.”

“I am the ONLY best friend you have,” he teased. He emphasized the word only and everyone laughed.

I blushed and that’s when I realized my feelings for my best friend.

End of Flashback

Tears started flowing from my eyes as the memories we made flood my brain.

I looked into the picture of us together in the picture frame. It was taken during our middle school graduation.

Then high school days came in and Chanyeol changed. He became extremely hot; no more nerdy glasses, nerdy clothes and messy hair. We became a little distant with each other as we took on different paths. He became friends with EXO, our school band, which my Oppa also belonged to and I became the A+ student-body president. They became popular because they’re extremely handsome and also good in anything, you name it.

Sometimes, I would hang out with them since Chanyeol and Suho oppa was there. I became close to them but knowing what their fans could do to me, even though they knew that I was Suho’s sister, I knew how to avoid them.

Suho oppa was still close to me but I kept on wondering why Chanyeol was not that close to me anymore. We would still hang out but not like before.

Our friendship was slowly breaking down and what happened last year completely ruined it and eventually died down.

Start of Flashback #3 (Continuation of Flashback #1)

Chanyeol’s parents arrived at the evacuation center and took us to their house where we will stay for the next few days. Even though we were devastated, I was happy knowing that I would see my best friend again.

Arriving at their house, Chanyeol and Unnie were at the front door to welcome us. We ate dinner together and Chanyeol and I even watched movies in his room until we fell asleep.

The next day, the rest of the gang came to comfort us and to have fun since we have no classes for the nest following days.

While we were playing video games, Sehun just blurted out my secret feelings for Chanyeol. Everyone looked at me but I brushed it off by saying that it was just a joke. Everyone seemed to shrug it off except for Chanyeol because he became very quiet after that incident.

When the boys got home, Chanyeol approached me. “Did I hear Sehun right? Do you like me?”

You nodded and looked down in embarrassment because you don’t want Chanyeol to see your blushing face.

“Why? Since when? I thought that we would just be friends and not feel more than that! We promised each other that but you broke it! And why did you kept it from me?”

Oh no, he remembered our promise. I’m sorry Chanyeol. I’m on the verge of crying. “Since the time you made an effort to come to my birthday even though you were sick. I don’t know Channie-ah. It just eventually popped out of my chest.”

“I’m sorry but I can’t give you what you want. And my image is on the line here, I don’t want it to be ruined because of your feelings.”

I can’t hold on my tears. He’s really hurting me too much. I can’t take this anymore. “You know why I kept it from you? HUH?! Because I’m scared, I’m scared that this would happen especially when you earned fame in school. I am afraid that you would tell me all this things. I know that our friendship would be ruined so I kept this to myself. And what do you think I’m expecting from you? A “yes”? NO! Because I know that you don’t see me like I see you and I want us to be just the way things were before! Is fame more important to you than me? Your own best friend? I tried my best to keep this friendship strong and balance even though you drifting away! I don’t want to lose you” Anger and sadness are overpowering my emotions.

“YES! Fame is more important to me now! It’s my life now! I don’t have a friend like you anymore starting today! Don’t cling to me anymore! Don’t even think of approaching me! Don’t talk to me! After this week, when you go back to your house, don’t text or call me! We’re done! Let’s end this friendship once and for all”

I left him there and ran to my room and locked it “I HATE YOU PARK CHANYEOL!!!” I cried all the pain inside. Everyone is worried when I didn’t came out the next day and they destroyed the door just to see my almost life-less body on the bed. Tears kept on falling from my face; my head aches; my body is so numb; and I know that I’m pale right now. I can see that Chanyeol is on the corner of my room, watching our every move. It hurts me just to see him; the memory from yesterday keeps on haunting me.

I just stayed in my room the whole week and a home nurse is monitoring me. When my health was recovered and when our house was cleaned, we went back.

And with that, our friendship ended.

End of Flashback

I hugged the teddy bear in between my chest and knees; placed the pictures down; and started crying hard.

“I miss you Chanyeol! Stupid heart! It’s because of you, our friendship got ruined! Chanyeol~! If I could just erase that one particular moment and everything would be the way it was. If I could just erase my feelings! If I could just put a scotch tape in Sehun’s mouth that one particular moment!” I kept on crying and saying things not knowing that someone was listening to every word I say….

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I told you that this would only be a oneshot fanfic but while I was writing, I realized that it's too long for a oneshot...

This fanfic would be a twoshot fanfic and wait for the next chapter... It will be very exciting!!!

Also, sorry for the suspense there.. Please be patient because exams are coming up. But I would try to update as fast as I can...

Thank you for my first two subscribers!! @AlwaysAnElf and @immapyromaniac22 I really appreciated it! =D

Anyways, SUBSCRIBE and COMMENT

Saranghae!! <3

XOXO,

emoment16