Chapter 3

Where The Wild Things Are

A loud horn blared. Hana backed away from Youngjae and looked around wondering where the noise had come from. The blonde scrunched her face up and Youngjae smiled at her. The sky had toned down to a pink shade. Hana had never seen nothing more beautiful than it. Wild things stood up and joined together in a circle that surrounded a fire that bursted from the ground.

 

Youngjae grasped her wrist, “come on.” Hana stuttered as the curly haired boy dragged her behind him. The two of them inched closer and whispers erupted. Hana casted her eyes down, not wanting to meet contact with any of them. Youngjae led her to a tree stump bench near the middle so they faced a large throne. The wild things bowed their heads, Youngjae included. Hana noticed a dark figure making it's way out of the trees.

 

His eyes scanned the men. His gaze finally stopped at Hana and the blonde felt herself being pulled into his smoldering gaze. The corners of his mouth lifted up slightly and the blonde beauty was convinced she fell into a trance 

 

Youngjae bumped shoulders with her and grinned. The man sat in his rightful throne and Himchan stood beside him. They were talking in hushed tones. Youngjae leaned down to her ear, “Himchan is the general.” Hana raised an eyebrow but nodded. The blonde narrowed her eyes as she tried to make out what they were saying, only to be memorized by the man’s lips.

 

“As you all can see, we have a guest.”

 

Chaos rumbled amongst the wild things. Hana fidgeted as some stared her down. Himchan tried to quiet them.

 

“Shut up!” the raven haired man roared. It grew silent and a satisfied grin formed on the handsome man’s face. “As I was saying…”

 

Himchan talked but Hana tuned majority of it out and stared at the fire. She didn't want to listen to hear if she was going to be eaten or not.

 

“Okay that will be all. I suggest you all call it a night.” As he finished the wild things stood up and followed their general’s command. Hana uncrossed her legs and prepared to stand up.

 

“Hana?” Himchan called. The blonde girl blinked at him and a soft smile dawned his face. “You stay behind.”

 

 

Hana nodded and folded her hands in her lap. A dark figure loomed over her and Hana looked up. Red smoldering eyes peered down at her. The blonde shrunk back in fear. The man chuckled and grinned revealing his sharp canines.

 

“Hana,” he spoke and the blonde girl swore her name rolled off his tongue like honey. Despite the fact he tried to eat her, Hana felt mesmorized by him. In that moment she gave the man a once-over.

 

Unlike the rest of the wild things, horns did not poke though his shaggy blond hair. He had a more sculpted face than Youngjae with his big intense eyes and plump lips. Hana wouldn’t have known he was the monster who tried to attack her, his face looked anything but monstrous. At this moment he looked more human, excluding the teeth, and Hana liked it.

 

“…wanted me to, so I’m sorry.” Hana shook her head out of her trance. The man looked at her, waiting. “I’m-what?” the man chuckled and Hana flushed in embarrassment.

 

“Youngjae demanded I apologize for almost killing you. He's taken a liking to you.” Hana nodded, diverting her eyes and met a pair which belonged to Youngjae. He waved and cupped his hands around his mouth.

 

“Daehyun!” he called and Hana watched the man in front of her look back. The two shared a look before he looked back at Hana. His mouth twitched into a wolfy grin. “Sorry again and umm,” his eyes flickered in another direction. “Welcome to the family.”

 

Hana’s face scrunched up, puzzled. She watched Daehyun’s retreating back as he embraced Youngjae and then Hana understood. “Hana?” the blonde looked to where the voice came from. Himchan stood beside the throne and beckoned her to follow him as they walked into the woods. The two walked in silence on a dirt path.

 

A large tree with a dark hole came into view. The giant tree towered tall and Hana assumed this is what majority of the wild things homes looked like. They came to the dark abyss and Hana stopped walking, taking in the tress large appearance. Himchan didn’t bother because as soon as he stepped inside torches lit up and Hana could see inside. It was like a less modern mansion. They entered the tree and stood in what seemed like a narrow hallway.

 

Himchan waited until the blonde followed and soon they were walking down the hall. Hana looked around in fascination. She couldn't contain the disbelief on her face. The two reached a wooden staircase at the end of the hallway. For what seemed like forever the two finally reached the top and walked down another hallway. They stopped in front of large red double doors.

 

Himchan clutched the large handles and threw open the large doors. Hana gasped at the beautiful sight. A large Victorian canopy bed stood right in the center of the room, dawned in red and gold. Large wooden dressers stood beside the walls along with pictures hanging up. A large red fainting couch was in front of a window. A giant cast iron fireplace was in the far right. But what captivated Hana the most was the portrait that hung above it. The woman in the portrait possessed pale skin, dark eyes, and plump lips. Her dark hair was swept in a thick bun with strands hanging loose. She wore a long neck puffy green dress with white lace and beads embodied.

 

“Beautiful isn’t she?” Hana jumped at the deep booming voice and she whirled around. Himchan was nowhere in sight but only a familiar figure. The man smiled from the doorway. She shivered as she watched his delicate face. 

 

He looked up, one eyebrow rising. “Are you cold?” he asked then walked to the large fireplace and set it alive. It roared as it awakened and instantly the room warmed up. Hana bit her lip as she watched the man through her long bangs. He had dark skin unlike majority of the pale wild things. His horns were just like a bull but smaller that poked out his odd red hair. He had dark eyes that mirrored those of the woman and lips so plump.

 

A thunk noise broke Hana out of her trance. She looked down as her bag was set near her feet, the blonde scrambled to pick it up. “I had one of my boys pick it up for you.” He spoke watching Hana dig through the purple tattered backpack.

 

“Thanks,” she mumbled avoiding eye contact and slung the bag over her shoulder. He nodded and walked towards a large dresser, pulling out what seemed like a silk night gown and towel. He placed them on the large bed and turned his attention to Hana.

 

“Tonight you will be staying here. This is yours, tub is on the far right corner and if you need anything Himchan is always available.”

 

“But Himchan said I was staying-”

 

“Yes I know but I’d feel you would be more comfortable and safe here.” Hana closed and nodded, avoiding eye contact once again. “I know you must be tired so I will leave you to rest. Himchan will come in the morning to bring you breakfast. And after that we can talk more about how you got here, yes?” He looked at the blonde girl, his eyes watching her closely. She nodded in agreement.

 

He gave a curt nod and turned around to leave. Hana bit her lip and held her hand out. “I-I never got your name,”

 

He stopped his hand on the large door handles. He faced her, a smile playing his lips. “Yongguk.” And with that he left the bedroom. Hana nodded and let a small smile slip upon her lips as well.