Chapter 1

Where The Wild Things Are

Tapping her fingertips against the bench she occupied, Jung Hana sighed for the umpteenth time that day. Suddenly the tiny blonde jumped when the office door swung open to reveal her mother. The older woman glared down at Hana and mumbled under her breath before making her way to the principal’s office.

 

Hana watched through the half-blinded window as her mother and principle spoke. She tried to watch their lips move but soon gave up after she couldn’t make out what they were saying. Then the principal’s office door opened and her mother stepped out. Hana opened but nothing came out. Her mother sighed and walked away. Hana kicked her shoe into the floor and followed after her mother.

 

Her mother stayed quiet on the car ride home. Hana peeled at the lime green nail polish on her fingernails and glanced in her mother’s direction. “Sorry,” she mumbled quickly and averted eye-contact. “Hmm?” her mother questioned but didn't spare her daughter a look.

 

“I’m sorry.” Hana spoke more clearly. Her mother tapped at the steering wheel and sighed, “I know.”

 

Later that night, Hana leaned her ear closer towards the wall connected to her mother’s bedroom, she could hear bickering.

 

“…It will be best for her, maybe even get her behavior straightened up.” her mother’s boyfriend, Jihoon, said. Hana could hear her mother sigh, “I don’t know Jihoon, she’s still young,”

 

“Oh come on Minyoung, she’s a delinquent. Her reckless behavior is going to cost us in the future!” Jihoon shouted and Hana flinched.

 

“But-” Her mother tried to object but Jihoon cut her off. “Either you send her away or I go away.” Hana straightened up once she heard footsteps. Quickly she stood up and dashed down the hall to her bedroom. Shutting the door behind her, Hana slid down until her met with the carpet. Her mother was sending her away? Hana shook her head vigorously; there was no way that was going to happen. Hana wouldn't let it happen.

 

The moment her mother and Jihoon went to bed and were fast asleep, Hana rushed out of her bed. She knelt down and dug out the backpack she had packed earlier from under her bed. Hana wasn’t going to let her mother send her off to some boarding school. The trembling blonde slipped her sneakers on and tucked her favorite baseball cap onto her head. Hana took one last look at the picture on her nightstand. A younger Hana was wrapped up in an embrace including her father and mother smiled widely.

 

Hana clenched her backpack straps tighter in her fists. As soon as her feet connected with the grass, she took off running. She didn’t know where she was going, but it didn’t matter as long as she was away from home.

 

Hana stepped onto the platform and looked back and forth. No one was paying the small blonde any attention so quickly she jumped onto the train. Not wanting to be caught she ran to the last train carriage. Hana noted it was unused as she found only ripped up seat cushions and garbage. Making herself comfy in the pillows Hana let sleep indulge her.

 

A loud crash threw Hana to the side. The tiny blonde quickly stood up on wobbly legs. The train had stopped, and it was dark inside. Hana walked over to one of the patched up windows and grunted at the duct tape wreck. Hana frowned and dragged her feet towards the train’s door. Hana clutched the handle and threw the door open.

 

Hana gasped at the scene in front of her and she stepped onto the sand. Unlike the pitch black train, outside the sun blared. But Hana wasn’t on the train anymore. No somehow the carriage wasn’t connected to it. It was stranded on an island. A loud roar sent fear in Hana and she ran back into the carriage. Her chest heaved as she leaned against the door. She smacked herself and squeezed her eyes shut, trying to wake from this horrible nightmare. The fear stricken blonde let tears slide down her cheeks as she whimpered her mother’s name.

 

Hana jolted up and blinked. Feeling crust beneath them the drowsy blonde hadn’t realized she cried herself to sleep. Using the wall for support Hana stood up on unsteady feet and opened the carriage door. She carefully stepped onto the sand and slipped off her shoes along the way to the ocean. Hana closed her eyes before splashing water onto her face and washing her tear stained cheeks away. Hana dusted off her bleach stained jeans and turned around to look at the trees that guarded the other half of the island. The tiny blonde gulped and made her way through. Birds chirped and frogs croaked as Hana walked through their path. She tried to stay as quiet as possible and not alarm any predatory animals.

 

Crrrnch

 

Hana froze. Birds immediately flew out the trees sensing something Hana didn’t know. The trembling blonde shut and closed her eyes. Hana didn’t want to die this young, she hoped whatever it was, was a squirrel. She silently counted to ten in her head before opening her eyes.

 

Her eyes came into contact with a rather large chest and Hana made the mistake to look up. Bright yellow eyes stared down at her. They were the only thing visible in the darkness. Hana screamed and whipped around to run away. She crashed into another hard chest. She screamed and ran in a different direction. Her pace quickened when a howl broke out through the forest. She tried ducking under the branches coming her way as some came in contact with her face.

 

Hana took a peak behind her and stopped running when there wasn't anything following after her. She breathed heavily and turned around only to have a pair of large hands cup her face. She screamed and tried to claw at the hands that d her face. The yellow eyed monster growled and tilted her head as it opened its large mouth, revealing its sharp canines. Sharp, needy, and ready to tear Hana to shreds.

 

“What are you doing?” The monster growled and looked behind Hana’s shoulder, nose flaring. Leaves crunched and Hana could feel another’s body heat. “What does it look like?” it growled and d Hana's face tighter. “You don’t even know what she’s doing here,”

 

“I don’t care. If we have a problem with it, we should just eat it.”

 

“It’s the only way to solve these types of issues,” Hana could hear more monstrous voices humming and agreeing along. The monster chuckled and raised its clawed hand up. “No please stop! No!” Hana screamed and thrashed against the monster. Tears spilled from Hana’s eyes as she felt her windpipe crushing.

 

“Stop!” Hana immediately slipped out of the monsters hold and fell onto the ground. She coughed while clutching . Hana glanced to her side and the monster that was near killing her was on his knees and head bowed. She propped herself onto her elbows and looked around. Plenty of identical monsters were doing the same. Except for one, who looked more terrifying than all of them. Hana watched as he snarled at them like an alpha disciplining his pack as they whimpered in response.

 

His eyes finally settled on Hana, and she quickly looked away. Leaves crunched under his feet as he stood above her. Hana clutched at the grass, knuckles turning white. “Who are you?” his voice boomed amongst the trees. Hana shivered, her bottom lip trembling. “I said-”

 

Hana gasped as she was yanked up into the air with her feet dangling just above the ground. She stared into his bloodthirsty eyes and he roared in her face, “Who are you?!”

 

The blonde gulped and managed to stutter out. “My name is Hana.”