Chapter 4

Where The Wild Things Are

Sighing softly as the morning sun danced on her face, Hana turned her body over, leaning into a warm pillow. A warmth that was a little too much for the blonde's liking. Hana’s eyebrows knitted together. Her eyes opened and she let out a piercing shriek.

 

A scream mimicked her own and Hana’s fist collided with a face. A groan came from the owner’s mouth and then a thump as the person doubled over the floor. Hana’s back connected with the headboard as she covered herself with a sheet.

 

“You idiot, I told you not to get in the bed!” an unfamiliar voice spoke as Hana watched another person crouch down to the others level. A whine came from the fallen figure, “I didn’t think she was going to punch me. Ow ow, oh man am I bleeding?”

 

Hana rose off the bed a little and looked over the man’s shoulder to get a good look at the intruder’s face. The crouched man’s ears twitched upon hearing a bed creaking and he whipped around. Hana froze as her eyes met his. She backed away, eyes​ narrowed.

 

The man hit the other beside him, “hey, don’t try that ever again.” He said and stood up to his full height. Hana took in everything from his strong legs to his beautiful face. But what surprised Hana the most was the leaves sprawled over his head in a shape of a crown. Hana’s shoulders relaxed a bit and the scowl dropped from her lips. He reminded her of a god by the name of Hermes.

 

“Hey,” Hana’s eyes retreated to his face and he smiled as he got her attention. “I apologize on his behalf, he just wanted to surprise you and well surprised you are.” Hana narrowed her eyes and he quickly held up his hands in defense.

 

“I know you are upset and wondering why the two of us are here in your room so let us do the honors of introducing ourselves.” The boy stood straight along with the other, who was nursing a bloody nose, and they bowed at a ninety degree angle.

 

“Your personal servants, Seokjin and Jimin at your service.”

 

~~~

 

Clutching at the hem of her dress, Hana stepped outside the large tree. Seokjin and Jimin ran past her, bumping shoulders roughly as they tried to get ahead of one another. Hana let her eyes roam the forest’s scenery. It looked a lot nicer in the morning than at night. Yesterday’s events were still playing in the back of her mind. She shivered and the boy’s laughter caught her attention.

 

“Okay! Okay ouch, sorry!” Jimin squealed as he tried to run away from Seokjin’s flying fists. “Hey Hana, you coming? We won’t get the best seats if you don’t hurry up!”

 

Hana’s eyebrows knitted and she yelled back, “seats for what?” the boys laughed and ran in the direction of where the clearing of the bonfire was. Immediately Hana was met with paper lanterns dangling from a tree’s branch. She swatted the decor away from her face and gasped. The ground was covered with large pumpkins and flower petals. Colorful spirals dangled from every branch and a long table filled with food stood in the middle of it all. Hana marveled at the enchanting sight.

 

A low growl sniffled into Hana’s ear and she shrieked, jerking her arms in the air. “Whoa there, it’s just me,” Hana whipped around and held a hand to her chest. The intruder chuckled while his face was covered by a wooden wolf mask. Hana narrowed her eyes at the mask and gave Daehyun a look. Daehyun shrugged and smiled.

 

"Cute."

 

“Oh this thing,” Daehyun held up the mask and waved it around. “It’s nothing.” He laughed and Hana nodded muttering a dragged out ‘okay’.

 

“What’s going on?” Hana asked, gesturing to the extravagant change to the forest. 

 

“What does it look like? It’s a festival!” he shouted excitedly.

 

“Yeah I see that but why?” she shook her head as Daehyun looked down at her with a spark in his eyes.

 

“Because Hana, it’s for you.”

 

“For me? What did I do?” Hana questioned, her eyebrows narrowed in confusion.

 

“Nothing really, I suppose. I guess you could say it’s a welcome to the family celebration but also an excuse to have a good time.”

 

“Welcome to the…family?” Hana said dumbfounded. After everything from last night leading up to the morning, they still wanted her around? Just when they were going to kill her, they decide to throw her a party to celebrate the fact she’s now a part of their family?

 

“Well yeah,” Daehyun smiled. “You don’t know how excited the little ones are, they’ve never had a mother figure. And Himchan does need a little help.”

 

~~~

 

Hana slowly approached the large table with caution. Wild things practically bounced in their seats, talking amongst themselves. Probably waiting for me, Hana thought.

 

“Hey Hana! Over here,” Youngjae shouted, he was sitting at the very end next to Himchan, Daehyun, and others who she doesn’t recall meeting. Hana smiled shyly and took the empty seat next to Youngjae’s.

 

“Hey,” Youngjae smiled. “How’d you sleep?” and before Hana could reply the table fell silent. Two boys from the forest stomped their way to the table, leaves were sticking to their hair and dirt smudges on their faces. They sat far away from one another and made no eye contact. Hana and the others watched on, waiting for a reaction out of one of them. The one with black hair decided to cut the tension by shoving a bun into his mouth, chewing almost violently. Immediately the wild things went straight back to bustling around.

 

“Wha-” Hana turned to ask Youngjae what that was all about but he beat her to it.

 

“That’s Jungkook and the other guy is Taehyung. They're​ always fighting. It's all about pointless things though.” Youngjae explained. Hana watched the blond one, Taehyung jab his fork furiously into mashed potatoes.

 

“Taehyung has these friends, or so he says. Every other day he leaves, no one knows where though, but he leaves to visit them. No one has ever met them, not even Jungkook, Taehyung's best friend. They got in an argument one day because Taehyung had not been back for more than a week and Jungkook was worried, anyway long story short Jungkook lashed out at Taehyung and now they've been fighting.”

 

Youngjae finished and stuffed a spoon into his mouth. Hana stared at the two fuming boys and said, “Why doesn’t Taehyung just bring his friends here to meet everybody so the two can make up?”

 

“Yeah like that will help,” Himchan’s voice spoke for the first time since Hana had seen him yesterday. “Why not?” she asked, curious.

 

“Because Taehyung said his friends didn’t want to meet us, something along the lines of ‘you’ll scare them away’.” Another wild thing cut in. “but if they just apologize to one another-" Hana spoke.

 

“Nope, not anytime soon.” He said. Hana furrowed her eyebrows, getting a little frustrated.

 

“Sure it can, they just need a little push. I'll push them to apologise​. I'll keep there from being any hatred between you guys.”

 

“Keep away all the hatred? Hana you can’t just ‘keep out’ a feeling. It’s a natural emotion, everyone hates.” Youngjae intervened. Hana sighed and picked up her fork, dejected.

 

“Do you…” a small voice spoke up and Hana turned to the source of the sound. A not so small but young boy mumbled. “What about loneliness?”

 

Hana raised an eyebrow and Himchan caught on. “What Junhong is trying to say is will you keep out all the sadness too?”

 

“You can stay and give the younger ones something they never had,” Yongguk started and Hana jumped a little. She barely noticed he was there. When had he gotten there, she wondered.

 

“A mother.”

 

Hana’s eyes wandered over all the wild things, taking in every face filled with some emotion. The blonde girl nodded, promising the wild things the one thing they needed, no wanted the most.

 

“Happiness is a way to keep in all the happy.”

 

“She’s a bit small to keep in all the happy,”

 

“Hoseok, shut up.” A punch to the gut was delivered to the brunette. “Let the wild rumpus begin!” Daehyun roared and his brothers followed behind him.

 

~~~

 

Hana giggled and Youngjae reached up and plucked a party string from her hair. The curly haired boy smiled and looked behind his shoulder. Daehyun waved at him and beckoned him with a sly smile. Youngjae looked back at her and Hana pushed him.

 

“Go, I’ll be fine. I’m heading to bed anyways.” They gave each other a smile before a giggly Youngjae skipped to his awaiting man. Hana smiled at the sight and thought of the beautiful couple. They really were something out of a fairytale.

 

“Hana,” the blonde girl whipped around to the sound of a certain someone’s voice. From the blare of the lanterns light Hana could make out the outline of Yongguk’s chiseled face. He stepped out from the dark and Hana took a step back. His eyes flickered towards the path to Yongguk’s home and Hana followed behind him.

 


 

 

Fire roared and covered the room in warmth. “Himchan was confused when he mentioned to me that you arrived here on a train,” Yongguk started. " Neither of us know what that is?" 

 

Hana’s eyes widened and she nodded. “A train is a means of transportation, to get where you need to go. The train’s carriage I boarded on somehow led me here to this island which I'm still finding hard to believe.”

 

Yongguk tilted his head and crossed his arms as he leaned against a bookcase. “Why would it be unbelievable?”

 

“Well,” Hana blinked at him, slightly flustered. “For one it's impossible, no train would travel over an ocean. Second of all, things like this don't happen at all. This a fantasy land, this only happens in movies.”

 

Yongguk hummed and nodded. “Why were you on the train again?”

 

Hana caught up in her own rant explained. “Because my mother was going to send me away, so I ran to the train station hoping she would change her mind.”

 

“Your mother was going to send you away and you thought running away would change her mind?” Yongguk asked.

 

“Yeah,” Hana said but realized what Yongguk was saying. “No wait, you don’t understand.”

 

“Then help me Hana, because honestly none of this is making any sense to me.”

 

Hana bit her lip and looked away, “after my father passed, I started behaving badly. My mom was worried so she remarried this retired chief of police. He was supposed to replace my father but we never got along. Everything he says my mother hangs onto. I did something very bad and it was basically the last straw. That night he threatened my mom that if she didn’t send me away, he was going to leave her. I already knew her choice so I packed up a bag and waited until they fell asleep, and I ran. I guess you can see where that’s gotten me.”

 

Yongguk stared at her and Hana looked up feeling his gaze. It felt like eternity until he looked away, switching his gaze to the fire. “You know Hana, I don’t exactly know what it’s like where you come from but running away from something you fear isn’t going to help. Running from it will only build more weight but overcoming it will make you stronger.”

 

“If that’s so, then how do I get back home?” Yongguk’s eyes met hers. Her gaze pleaded but the beast like man refused.

 

“I don’t know.”