Flashback

Lovesick

Daehyun's fingers tapped on the steering wheel in the rhythm of the music that played in the radio. Since it was after midnight, the streets were deserted. The only disturbances were traffic lights which were unnecessarily making him stop once in a while. Every time he was waiting patiently, waiting for the light to turn green again, he had to fight to not drift off to sleep.

It took him all of his self-control to not turn around and drive straight back to the hotel, picking up the one he had just left there a few minutes ago. But he knew he couldn’t. In a few hours, Youngjae would be sitting on the train back to Seoul ad he needed some sleep.

Daehyun couldn’t be selfish now and risk that Youngjae would be late just because he felt so utterly lonely without him.

All kinds of worries went through his mind as the distance between them grew bigger every second. He still couldn’t find the courage to ask Youngjae about what it had been between them or if the younger had any intentions to stay in contact with him.

When did he even become such a coward? It felt as if Youngjae liked him too but it didn’t stop Daehyun from feeling that even a tiny mistake of his could ruin everything. He felt like he needed to be careful or he would chase this beautiful angel away.

He blamed it on Youngjae that he had become like this. In only a few days his personality had completely changed somehow.

Daehyun nodded although nobody else was there. This gesture was more for himself, agreeing with his own assumptions that everything was Youngjae’s fault for turning his head so badly.

He knew that it would be a while until he could see him again, but he knew that the feeling of wanting to meet the other again was mutual. Until then, they would find different ways to communicate. It was the 21st century after all and with all the modern electronics, long distance relationships became something common.

When other people could handle that, so could Daehyun and he was sure he would do everything for Youngjae.

Daehyun was in love, he almost couldn’t believe it but the signs were obvious. The way his heart would beat faster by just thinking about the younger, how his palms always got sweaty when they were actually close, the way everything Youngjae did and said made him giggle and of course the firework n his body when they kissed.

He hadn’t expected to fall for someone, especially not the way it had happened and even more, not so quickly. But he wasn’t one to complain since he was sure there was no one better than Youngjae.

 

When he parked the car in the garage in front of his house, the only thing he wanted to do was falling into his pillow that hopefully still smelled like the younger and admire the picture of them that he had taken a few days ago, until he fell asleep.

Although Youngjae had complained about the photo, Daehyun thought it was perfect, Youngjae was perfect. Of course he used that picture as the background of his phone, he didn’t tell Youngjae about it, though.

He turned the key, opening the door quietly in order to not wake up his sister. He almost got a heart attack when said person wasn’t in her bed but standing right in front of him, her hands on her hips.

“Do you want to kill me?” Daehyun hissed, his sweater on the left side of his chest.

“What took you so long?” Jieun asked, her voice laced with annoyance.

“I just brought Youngjae back to the hotel and drove back right after.”

“You mean after you made out with him a little bit more?”

Daehyun’s eyes widened in shock, he didn’t trust his ears about what he had just heard.

“So I was right,” she stated drily. “A guy? Seriously Daehyun?”

The tone of her voice made Daehyun angry. He clenched his teeth, trying not to shout at her.

“Does it bother you because he’s a guy or because he’s your flavor of the month?” he spat back at her.

She pretended to think for a moment, pinching her chin before saying: “Maybe a bit of both.”

Daehyun scoffed, he hadn’t expected her to openly admit that she was jealous.

“And what do you want to do about that?” he asked.

“Are you challenging me, Daehyun?”

“What’s there to challenge? He’s gay, he will never like you.”

“Don’t get all smart with me, brother,” she said, putting on a dirty smirk as she approached Daehyun.

“I always get what I want. And if I can’t have him, you won’t have him either,” she purred.

“How do you think you will achieve that?” Daehyun snorted.

Wrong move, Daehyun thought as her smirk grew bigger. She giggled, waving the house phone in front of Daehyun’s face.

“Mum called, they will be home any minute. Let’s see what Dad will say about your… preferences,” she stated smugly.

Before Daehyun could answer, the door behind him opened, startling him.

“Daddy,” Jieun chirped with a sweet voice. As she walked past her brother, she elbowed him into his stomach.

“What are you two doing here? Shouldn’t you be at least in your rooms?” their father asked. He looked tired.

“Daehyun wants to tell you something,” Jieun announced.

“Can’t that wait until tomorrow? I’m exhausted.

“It’s nothing dad! Just go to sleep,” Daehyun said between gritted teeth.

“Have you two been fighting again?” their mother asked.

“I said it’s nothing. Jieun go to bed, you shouldn’t be bothering our parents when they just came back from a business trip,” Daehyun demanded.

Jieun pouted and made her way towards the stairs. Daehyun sighed in relief, the last thing he needed right now was trouble with his parents. He was tired and had to get up in a few hours to meet his Youngjae for the last time. He couldn’t risk oversleeping and missing him.

It turned out that he relaxed too quickly, though, when Jieun stopped at the bottom of the stairs and turned around with her faked sweet smile.

“Daehyun has got a boyfriend,” she announced, running up the stairs before Daehyun could even think about moving. Anger bubbled in the pit of his stomach and he clenched his fists tightly, ready to chase after her. His parents were forgotten, but he became aware of them again when a strong grip on his wrist stopped him from moving.

“Not so fast, young man!” his father grumbled. Daehyun’s arms fell on his sides.

“Is it true?” his faster asked with a stern voice.

“No. I don’t have a boyfriend,” Daehyun said bitterly, he wished that Youngjae was his boyfriend.

“What is this all about then?”

“I already told you, it’s nothing.”

“Jieun!” his father shouted. A few seconds later, Jieun came back down, still wearing the smile that made Daehyun sick to his stomach.

“Mind telling us what you were talking about?”

The grin on her face grew bigger before she started speaking.

“Daehyun had some friends over today. Yongguk oppa and Jongup oppa. There were three other guys who apparently are from Seoul.

When I wanted to tell Daehyun that I would go to bed earlier, I found him in his bed with one of them. They were kissing.” She made some kissing noises to prove her point. The eyes of their father got smaller when his gaze fell on Daehyun.

Daehyun suddenly felt small under the judging look of his father. A stinging pain spread across his face when his father slapped him.

“I’m not going to allow that! You can’t bring shame over my family,” his father said.

“Dad,” Daehyun begged.

“What did I do wrong for you to become like that? Is that some kind of father complex?”

“Darling, don’t be so harsh. You can’t chose who you fall in love with,” his mother interrupted her husband, trying to calm him down.

“This is unacceptable,” his father retorted.

“Did you even have a girlfriend yet? How do you know that you are gay?”

“I-I didn’t have a girlfriend,” Daehyun mumbled.

“You should try it then. Don’t you want to have a normal family and children?”

Daehyun didn’t answer. Of course he wanted to have children one day and he knew it would be difficult. But he knew that there were ways to have a family, even if he would be with another man.

“Who is that guy?” his father asked, seemingly calmer than before.

“He lives in Seoul and his class is here for holidays. He’s in his last year of high school, like me. Jieun liked him quite a lot, didn’t you?”

Jieun sent him a death glare but didn’t answer. Their father shook his head in annoyance.

“Don’t you dare to start fighting over a damn boy,” he grumbled.

Daehyun chewed on his bottom lip nervously. His father looked angry but his mother looked at him with pity. He knew that she couldn’t change the mind of his father but he was grateful that it seemed like she would accept him the way he is at least.

“You won’t see him again”, his father decided.

“But Dad, he will leave tomorrow,” Daehyun pleaded.

“Even better!” his father chanted as he took off his jacket.

“Give me your phone and the keys to your car,” his father suddenly demanded.

“No, please!”

“Don’t argue with me! You’re not going to see him again so you better find yourself a decent girlfriend soon.”

The voice of his father left no room to discuss. Reluctantly, he gave his father what he had asked for. After that, he stormed into his room, slamming the door shut.

 

This couldn’t be it, he thought, He had to see Youngjae tomorrow, no matter what.

He fell into his pillow, inhaling Youngjae’s scent. He buried his face deeply into the soft fabric and let the tears stream down his face.

How could his father be so unfair? Why did it matter if he liked another man? Wasn’t it a father’s duty to love him unconditionally and support him no matter what?

And Jieun! He would make sure to make her pay for what she had done to him.

His bed felt cold and lonely without Youngjae. He kept sobbing into his pillow. He cried for almost an hour before he heard a soft knock on the door.

Even though he didn’t answer, the door opened anyway. His mother walked in, dressed in a comfortable bathrobe.

She sat on the edge of the bed, her son’s hair gently. They stayed like this until Daehyun’s sobs finally stopped. She then pulled him closer and he placed his head on her lap to let her continue comforting him.

“How long have you known?” she asked quietly.

“A few years,” he whispered.

“You must have been suffering a lot all those years. Have you told anybody?”

“No. I was scared and didn’t want to be judged.”

“I’m sorry that your father reacted like that,” she apologized.

“It’s not your fault,” he answered, nuzzling his head into her hand.

“Your father is just worried. But he calmed down a bit. He said he wants you to try being with a girl. If you really don’t like it then he will try to accept it.

I am so sorry that you have to go through that all. I wish I could do more for you,” she muttered sadly.

“You’ve done enough for me already, mum. Thank you.”

“I’m your mother, of course I’m always there for you,” she said, nudging her son.

“Do you think I can send him off tomorrow?” Daehyun asked.

“I’m sorry but I don’t think he will give in to that.”

Daehyun’s body started shaking as he started sobbing again. His mother hugged him tightly.

“I’m so sorry, Daehyun,” she whispered.

Her heart was breaking at the sight of her son. He looked so broken, so fragile. She kept his head until he calmed down again.

When he sat up, she reached to the bedside table, grabbing some tissues.

“Thanks,” Daehyun said, his voice hoarse from crying.

“Tell me about him,” Daehyun’s mother requested excitedly.

“His name is Youngjae and he is a few months younger than me. He is smart, very smart and funny. He looks quite innocent on the first impression but he has a lot of charisma.

We have spent only a few days together but I think that I really like him,” Daehyun blabbered.

“You sound like you like him a lot,” his mother chuckled. “Is he handsome?”

Daehyun nodded. “I would show you a picture if I had my phone,” he smiled sadly.

“Jieun tried to flirt with him, I guess she likes him too.”

“I see. That’s why she called you out, she is jealous.”

“That’s no reason to ruin my life! Besides, she likes another guy every month anyway,” Daehyun grumbled.

“I know.”

They sat in silence for a short while, each of them in deep thoughts.

“You should do what your father said. Search yourself a girlfriend for a while and show him that you’re willing. He promised that he would let you do your thing if this doesn’t work out for you. After that you can finally go and win Youngjae’s heart,” his mother suggested.

“But I don’t want to play on anyone’s feelings.”

“I know, but I guess this is the only thing you can do to make your father accept it,” she sighed.

“What do I do if they don’t accept me in Seoul?”

“Then we will find another way! You’re a Jung and you won’t give up.”

Daehyun chuckled. He felt a little bit better. There was still a hard time waiting for him but he was willing to fight.

“Is that new?” his mother asked, pointing at a cardigan that hung over his chair.

“It’s not mine. Youngjae forgot it here.”

“Ah,” she said, grabbing the grey cardigan. “At least you have something to cuddle until you see him again,” she smiled and threw the cardigan over her son’s chest, wrapping him into the soft fabric.

“And now go to sleep, it’s late,” she demanded and gave her son a kiss on his forehead before leaving his room.

Daehyun still felt lonely and still had a million questions plaguing his mind.

He needed to work things out step by step, starting with getting Youngjae’s number from Yongguk as soon as he would get his phone back.

Things would be difficult and there was still the chance that Youngjae would forget about him. But he would fight, because Youngjae was worth it.


 

A/N:

Finally! Don't you think so? Finally you know!

Happy birthday, LovesAsianDrama! 

I finally found a fancam with a half decent sound for DaeJae's "running across the sky" and I wanted to share it with you in case you haven't seen it yet. Can I just say how amazing Youngjae sounds when they let him sing something powerful and not too high? His voice is angelic! eargasmic!

 

Thank you for all your lovely comments! It always gives me a smile :) Also thank you to everybody who subscribed and read the story so far!