I Remember

Lovesick

Himchan had never been so proud to be Bang Yongguk's boyfriend. The older had had a couple of gigs but this time would be different. Usually Himchan would be the only person the young rapper knew amongst the audience.

Junhong and Jongup had joined Himchan a couple of times to cheer for their friend before but finally the rest of Yongguk’s friends had the chance to watch him perform. As far as Himchan was concerned, the attendance of Youngjae was one of the best things about this evening.

This was for two reasons. Himchan wanted his best friends and his boyfriend to get along well. Junhong had already established a rather deep connection with Yongguk but Youngjae was still a bit awkward. It felt weird for Himchan because he thought that the two were quite similar personality wise.

If Youngjae would be impressed, then Himchan’s heart would swell with pride.

The other reason was that Daehyun actually stuck to his promise and would perform one song with Yongguk. If that didn’t melt Youngjae’s heart then Himchan didn’t know what else would tear down the walls that his friend had built around him.

Himchan fiddled with a few strands of Daehyun’s hair, a bottle of hairspray in the other hand. The boy’s hair was blonde now, something that Youngjae didn’t know yet, something that Himchan was sure his best friend would be attracted to.

Despite the fact that Daehyun was a nervous mess, he looked utterly gorgeous. The blonde hair suited him quite well, of course it did, it had been Himchan’s idea after all.

It made his dark skin glow beautifully and his almost black eyes stood out even more. Himchan noticed how much the younger’s eyes were sparkling when he applied some eyeliner to frame the dark orbs. He couldn’t help but smile.

In only a matter of a few days, Daehyun had completely changed. He was much livelier than before, making Himchan finally recognize the boy he had met in Busan months ago. A smile had been glued on the boy’s face, it was as if the person who had been so miserable all the time had never existed.

If only Himchan had known how easy things were after Youngjae knew the other side of the story, he would have truly considered to lock them into a room, tie them together and force Daehyun to stop making excuses and tell his beloved Youngjae everything on the day Daehyun had arrived in Seoul.

But instead, he had let Daehyun manage his problems by himself and had to watch two people who were very precious to him being hurt for so long. Himchan shook his head, making Daehyun look up at him warily. He almost cooed at the sight, how Daehyun’s eyes widened until they were almost round as a hint of insecurity flashed through the dark orbs.

Himchan gave him one last once-over, checking him from head to toe until he deemed him to be good enough looking for the audience and of course for Youngjae.

Daehyun’s bleached locks were styled in a simple way, his bangs falling loosely on his forehead. The thick black eyeliner didn’t only make his eyes being a perfect eye catcher, it also matched the boy’s outfit. He was dressed in black, a black pair of jeans that hugged his legs perfectly and a black sweater under a black jacket. The sleeves were sticking out of the jacket, covering half of his palms. On his earlobes were small black studs to accentuate the outfit.

Daehyun was handsome, Himchan thought. And even more important, Himchan thought that Youngjae would find him handsome as well.

Himchan smiled as he was content with the younger’s appearance. He was happy that his friend had found such a good looking boy to like. But Youngjae was attractive himself so he deserved nothing less than that.

The two of them suited each other perfectly and Himchan couldn’t wait for the day when Youngjae would approach him with the happiest expression Himchan had ever seen on him and announce that they were finally a real couple.

“You look amazing,” Himchan said to the boy who was still watching him, waiting for his opinion on his outfit. “Youngjae will love it,” he added.

For the first time since they had entered the club, the nervousness fell and Daehyun’s lips stretched into a wide, teeth exposing smile.

“Relax a little bit while I go and check on Yongguk,” Himchan said, patting his friend’s shoulder.

His boyfriend was almost done, he was waiting for Himchan to help him with his make-up. Yongguk thought it was silly to make such a hassle, but deep inside he was thankful. Himchan just knew what to say and what to do to make him feel at ease.

Himchan knew that his boyfriend wanted to impress with his performances. Yongguk wanted to have an impact on people and especially today, he wanted to impress their friends and mostly Jiho.
The older didn’t say it out loud, but Himchan knew that his boyfriend wanted Jiho to be proud of him. That’s why Himchan had insisted to make tonight’s stage more professional.

Yongguk’s hair was also blonde and Himchan had chuckled at how soft his hair was even after the rough treatment.

Yongguk sat patiently in the dimly lit room, waiting for his boyfriend to finish whatever he was doing about his appearance. Himchan knew what he was doing and Yongguk trusted him blindly.

When Himchan was done, he slipped his red jacket over the black wife beater, which was also a choice of Himchan. He took a quick look into the mirror and nodded approvingly, thanking his boyfriend with a gentle kiss on his warm lips.

Even though the kiss was innocent and lovingly, it still felt electrifying to Himchan. Yongguk just had that effect on him, sending a horde of butterflies through his body every time, no matter how much time they had spent together.

Himchan knew that it was like that because Yongguk was the right one for him.

***

Youngjae was a nervous mess next to Himchan, who couldn’t hold back a little smile. It reminded Himchan of himself while waiting for his boyfriend to finally enter the rather small stage of the club for the first time.

The way Youngjae kept fiddling with the sleeves of his white button down shirt and how he kept glancing in the direction the two friends would appear any moment was too cute in Himchan’s opinion.

He thought about getting the younger a strong drink to calm his nerves for a moment, but decided against it since he wanted his friend to experience the performance the fullest. But Youngjae was thrilled with excitement anyway.

Although they were almost the same age, Himchan felt somehow responsible for his two best friends, like a big brother. The nervous Youngjae looked so endearing that Himchan had to fight the urge to ruffle the younger’s hair but he knew his friend would give him a piece of his mind for ruining his hair that was styled up for a change.

Himchan chuckled as he puzzled about the amount of time Youngjae had spent trying to style himself up, obviously for Daehyun.

When the lights turned off, Himchan’s stomach did a flip and he started focusing on the stage, just like he did several times before. A piano tune started blasting through the speakers as Yongguk confidently walked on the stage, the microphone in his hand.

When Yongguk shouted ‘I remember’ through the microphone, the first people started cheering already. It made Himchan very proud that his boyfriend had made himself quite a lot of fans already even though the number of females was rather large and few of them had tried to flirt with him already.

A second voice joined in, Daehyun’s voice, and Youngjae next to him tried to make himself bigger to get a better view although the boy hadn’t even stepped on the stage yet.

Instead, Yongguk started rapping the first few lines, making a few steps to grant everyone a perfect view of him. His movements came naturally and his eyes were sparkling with charisma. Even from afar Himchan was able to notice the bright shine in his boyfriend’s otherwise dark orbs.

The crowd cheered louder with every word that escaped the rappers lips. Once the chorus started, Daehyun stepped on the stage from the darkness, causing surprise amongst the audience.

But when he opened his mouth to sing the first line, the club was going crazy. Girls were screaming and cheering, but the one who cheered the loudest was without a doubt Youngjae.

There was no sign of nervousness anymore when Daehyun made the stage his home for the moment. His blond hair was shining in the light as he stood on the stage with a small distance from the rapper. He didn’t look awkward at all, since his hands and body started moving automatically despite the fact that it was his first time singing in front of a lot of people.

The two blondes looked gorgeous and a little side glance was enough for Himchan to know that Youngjae liked it just as much.

Youngjae stood there motionless, with wide eyes that sparkled as he looked longingly at his friend. He was completely in awe and seemed to be stuck in his own little world.

While Yongguk rapped again, Daehyun stood in the background to allow the rapper to walk freely.

The song was about heartbreak, a breakup, and the words flowing from Yongguk’s lops held so much power. He rapped with so much passion that Himchan would never believe the guy on stage was actually in a happy relationship if he didn’t know it firsthand.

But that was what talented people separated from the rest, the ability to feel a song with all of your heart.

Daehyun sang with just as much passion. The pain the singer felt was visible for everyone as the boy exposed all of his feelings while singing.

When he sang the words ‘Even if I close my eyes, I still see us’, he closed his eyes.

Himchan realized that Daehyun was reliving the time he had been apart from Youngjae. In front of everyone he was suffering again, letting go the feelings of sadness and grief.

Daehyun put his hand on his heart as he sang ‘I won’t ever forget that moment until the end’. It was a promise to Youngjae, the promise to not forget the younger. It was the promise he had probably made himself these months ago, to remember the one that had stolen his heart.

And Daehyun had kept that promise. Youngjae’s eyes glistened with tears he tried to fight back, the moment was just as touching for him.

Himchan wondered if Yongguk had written the song for his best friend as parts of the lyrics were expressing his experiences so accurately.

Daehyun looked like he was almost crying as well. All the pain he had felt was still so evident. The two had talked out their problems but these lines felt like Daehyun’s last confession to Youngjae, as if he was finally telling the younger what he had felt all the time and not only what had happened.

He was an admirable singer, he had all the girls wrapped around his finger already. When he sang a really high and long note, Himchan wondered how a man could even reach notes as high. But it sounded beautiful and was a perfect contrast to Yongguk’s low voice.

He sang the last part of the song with his eyes closed and when the final notes of the piano were playing, he opened his eyes again, panting slightly.

His expression said so much, he looked so vulnerable in that moment that made Himchan feel like running up he stage and taking the boy into his arms.

Nonetheless, the singer’s gaze was intense, more than Himchan had ever seen. Daehyun’s gaze was directed to them, or to Youngjae to be exact. Youngjae stared back, his lips slightly agape. In this moment nothing else mattered for the two, the large crowd wasn’t existent as they simply looked through them at each other.

The intense moment gave Himchan goose bumps. His two friends were somehow communicating with their eyes and right in that moment, all of his doubts and worries concerning these two vanished completely. They had found their way back to each other again.

The music stopped and it was Yongguk’s time to greet the people as he would always do after the first song.

“Hey guys,” he said and the people started screaming.

“I hope you’re enjoying the night.” He paused again, giving the girls the opportunity to answer him.

“This is my best friend Daehyun. It’s his first time standing on a stage but he has been my inspiration to write this song,” he said and swung his arm around the younger’s shoulder. Daehyun smiled bashfully.

“Please give him a big applause,” Yongguk requested and once again, the club broke out in cheers, accompanied by the sound of the clapping.

Daehyun smiled and bowed a couple of times before he shyly mumbled a ‘thank you’ into the microphone and made his way to leave the stage.

The music started again and finally Himchan could completely concentrate on his boyfriend again. But before that, he wanted to observe the reactions of the rest of their friends that Himchan had completely forgotten about for a few minutes.

They all looked impressed and followed the man on the stage attentively while sipping on their drinks occasionally. Jiho’s head bounced to the beat and he had a content smile on his lips.

Himchan thought that it would be amazing if the two of them would be able to stand together on a stage one day.

Daehyun struggled his way through the mass of bodies, politely refusing several girls who tried to start a conversation with him by tugging on his sleeves or shouting something in order to be heard over the loud music.

Relief was evident on his face when he was surrounded by his friends who complimented him for the successful performance.

Himchan’s attention was drawn to him again when he stood in front of Youngjae. They looked at one another for a moment and then the younger pulled him into a tight hug. Daehyun leaned his forehead on the younger’s as they kept looking into each other’s eyes. Himchan saw that Youngjae was speaking, wondering if Daehyun could even understand what he was saying.

But Daehyun nodded once in a while, never breaking the connection between the two as he kept listening to the younger’s words. They stayed like that for a while, forehead on forehead, Youngjae’s arms wrapped around Daehyun’s slim frame and Daehyun’s hands on the younger’s shoulders.

The sight made Himchan happy as he could see the sparks flying between them. Their faces were only a few centimeters apart and they were looking at each other intensely.

Himchan anticipated what was going to happen, waiting for his friends to finally seal their lips together.

But it didn’t happen and Himchan groaned inwardly when they separated to order some drinks.

 

Yongguk’s performance was a success. It lasted for only about an hour but by the end of it, the crowd was exhausted. After giving Himchan a peck on his lips, the older had vanished with Jiho to a quieter place to talk about music.

While Himchan waited for his lover, he observed his other friends peacefully. Junhong and Jongup were dancing together, moving their bodies sensually to the hip hop music. Competing with them were Minhyuk and Yukwon, who weren’t dancing as close as the others but their dancing skills were equally good.

Himchan also noticed the way they looked at each other. Before that he had been sure that Yukwon had a little crush on Youngjae but now he wasn’t sure anymore.

Taeil and Kyung were surrounded by a group of girls who fought for their attention. Jihoon and Jaehyo accompanied him at the bar, all of them with a bottle of beer in their hands.

As so many times before that evening, Himchan’s gaze fell on Daehyun and Youngjae again. Daehyun had taken off the jacket earlier and was only dressed in the black sweater that exposed a good amount of skin on his neck. It blended perfectly with Youngjae’s white shirt.

Their chests were touching as they danced, but they made sure to not dance too ally. Himchan had watched them dance in Busan, they definitely weren’t holding back that time. Himchan chuckled as he remembered the way they were practically devouring each other back then and how much it was a contrast to the way they were now.

In Busan they were shamelessly grinding against each other but now they touched one another with so much care. They just comfortably shared their warmth and simply enjoyed being together, and regarding to the looks they sent each other they enjoyed it a lot.

Their affection was so evident that there was really no need to worry about them anymore. Himchan had wished for his friend to be happy countless times and how that it finally seemed to come true, his heart felt at ease.

When Yongguk and Jiho came back, Himchan pulled his boyfriend closer, telling him how proud he is before he rewarded him with a passionate kiss.

The rest of the night went by in a blur, not because Himchan was drunk but all the excitement and happiness just left him on a high.

His friends were all happy and his boyfriend had the best performance so far, so good that he received a really promising offer.

This was definitely a night to remember.


A/N: Hey everybody! Maybe you already realized, but their first ever performance for I remember together on their first showcase was the reference for the performance I described here! I enjoyed writing this chapter a lot, so I hope you liked it! It was fun to write everything from Himchan's point of view :)