Double Date

Lovesick

Ever since attending university, free time became something rare. Some people were fortunate enough to have parents that were able to provide the money for the fees but others had to work to be able to pay for all necessities.

Jongup and Yongguk were two of these people. Sharing an apartment with three people made things a lot easier, especially since Daehyun's parents paid for the rent but there were still bills to bay and stomachs to be filled.

So besides their already busy schedule for university, both of them worked part time.

While Jongup was working in a cafe close to their apartment, Yongguk got himself a job in a club, where he mainly worked as a waiter but occasionally was given the opportunity to perform and earn some extra cash.

Himchan had been very agitated at first, his jealousy taking the best of him, but he knew that not only his boyfriend needed this job to make a living, but he also was able to take a step towards fulfilling his dream.

Music had always played a major role in their lives. The slight difference in the genres didn't matter. It was even the opposite; Yongguk had opened a door to a whole new world for Himchan.

When Himchan thought back at the times he had refused to listen to any kind of not traditional music, he actually found himself laughing at his own obstinacy.

Youngjae and Junhong had tried to expand his taste of music several times but they had never succeeded.

Although both of them also liked hip hop music, there was just something about Yongguk's music that was different.

He couldn't quite put his finger on it and he had wondered more than one if simply the feelings he had for the older had made him approve of everything his boyfriend did and said.

But Himchan had never been a gullible person and came to the conclusion that it was the message that had caught his interest.

Something about Yongguk's music was just deep and meaningful. The older had started to write his own lyrics at the age of thirteen and had made himself a name as an underground rapper in Busan.

Being given the chance to perform in Seoul was something he had only dreamt of before and that he was able to do it so shortly after moving to the capitol was something he would have never expected.

Himchan could still remember his boyfriend's face when he told him that he would perform in the club. His whole face was sparkling, it was beautiful.

There were still worries in the back of Himchan's mind, it had only been a few weeks after all, but it had always been forgotten every time he saw his boyfriend performing on that stage and his heart swelled with pride at the thoughts.

Himchan was his number one fan and he would never miss one of his performances.

 

It was one of those days where Yongguk didn't have to work and Himchan was more than happy about that. He would always worry about Yongguk's health and nag at him to eat properly and to try to catch up with the sleep.

They had planned to go on a date and had invited Jongup and Junhong to tag along.

Himchan and Yongguk were already waiting in front of the movie theater, surprisingly they weren’t late due to Himchan’s usual morning routine.

By the time Junhong and Jongup arrived, they had only twenty minutes left to get snacks and drinks. Jongup apologized again and again, explaining that their bus had been delayed because of a car crash. There was just something about Jongup that nobody could ever be mad at him.

Secretly, Himchan thought that the younger boy is abusing this trait of his more often than all of them would guess, after all he knew for a fact that Jongup wasn’t as innocent as he looked.

Junhong had told him things he much rather didn’t know but his friend had been desperate for advice and Himchan wasn’t one to send away a friend in need, especially since neither of them hadn’t spoken to Youngjae properly in weeks.

With great foresight, Himchan had preordered the tickets, so they didn’t have to rush nor settle for bad seats.

Their seats were in the last row, right in the middle. Most of the people had already sat down and it all of them bowed in apology while they squeezed through the small gap between the peoples legs and the backrest. It became even more awkward when Junhong nearly tripped and a good amount of his popcorn flew in the air and landing on a few people.

When their butts were finally planted into the cushions safely, they all burst out with laughter which thankfully was swallowed up by the loud noise of the adverts currently playing on the big screen.

After a few minutes, the lights dimmed and announced the movie to start.

Himchan had always been a jumpy person, so occasionally he flinched when a loud sound echoed through the speakers. But Yongguk noticed it and took his boyfriend’s hand into his warm palm to draw soothing circles over the skin.

He was glad that on his other side was Jongup, not because he was too scared but he would have been a little bit embarrassed if there was a stranger witnessing his little outbursts.

From the corner of his eye he could watch Jongup and Junhong sharing a big box of popcorn. Himchan liked Jongup a lot friendship wise and he was glad that his friend had found such a loving boyfriend like him.

He smiled to himself and focused on the screen again. After a while he leaned his head on Yongguk’s shoulder and tightened the grip on his boyfriend’s hand which was his way to say thank you to him.

He didn’t care if his neck would be stiff after the movie was finished, he deemed it worth it.

***

It was already dark when the four young men arrived at the restaurant that made the best Kimchi stew in Seoul.

“I’m starving, I hope the food is as good as you said, Himchan hyung,” Jongup said and rubbed his hands to warm them up.

“The food is to die for, I promise,” Himchan winked at the boy.

A middle aged woman took their orders and served them drinks while they were waiting for their food to be cooked. Yongguk took a big gulp from his beverage, feeling slightly thirsty after eating so much sweet popcorn in the cinema.

“How did you like the movie?” Yongguk asked no one in particular.

“Amazing,” Junhong stated and Jongup nodded in agreement.

“Brad Pitt looked hot,” Himchan suddenly uttered. Pretending to be annoyed, Yongguk punched Himchan’s shoulder playfully.

“Ouch, what was that for?” Himchan whined. “For drooling over men three times your age while your boyfriend is around,” Yongguk stated simply, shrugging.

“Don’t be so, Gukkie! You know I only have eyes for you,” Himchan cooed at his lover.

“As if!” Yongguk turned his head to the opposite direction of Himchan, causing his boyfriend’s eyes to widen in shock.

“Gukkie please,” Himchan begged, his voice high pitched in panic. Himchan grabbed his boyfriend’s shoulders to turn him around but he didn’t move even one inch.

“Gukkie!” Himchan sobbed. His voice sounded so sad that Yongguk couldn’t bear to any longer. With a wide grin on his lips he turned around and cupped his boyfriend’s face, his thumb drawing gentle circles on Himchan’s cheek.

“I’m sorry Himchan,” Yongguk said and planted a kiss on Himchan’s pouting lips.

“I will forgive you if I get another kiss,” Himchan chirped cheekily

Yongguk leaned to his boyfriend, pecking the forehead lightly. Himchan was just about to protest with yet another pout but when he pursed his lips, Yongguk gave in and caught the other’s lips in a gentle kiss.

After Yongguk pulled away, the waitress arrived with their food. Four steaming bowls were put on the table, and the red colour of the food made Yongguk’s mouth water.

Since he moved out from home, he rarely ate good homemade food like this. Usually his only opportunity to eat properly cooked food was when he ate at Himchan’s home. Both, he and Jongup had two left hands when it came to cooking and Daehyun was barely at home, but the times his courses finished earlier than his friend’s he always surprised them with something nice.

Yongguk dug in, savouring the aromatic taste of the stew. Once in a while, Himchan would place a piece of meat into Yongguk’s bowl, motioning him to eat up. Yongguk smiled at the sweet actions of his boyfriend, knowing quite well that the other wanted him to eat well, which he rarely did.

He was thankful to have such a caring partner and ate every piece that Himchan had given him with even more joy.

For a few minutes, nothing else apart from the clashing of the spoons was heard from a table that was occupied by four young men. All of them were too busy enjoying the meal they had together, so nobody spoke until they were finished.

“That was so good,” Junhong said and rubbed his stomach in delight.

“We’re definitely going here again, Junhong,” Jongup mentioned, making the younger one smile.

“I told you the food is great,” Himchan bragged and stuck his tongue out. Jongup nodded with a laugh and grabbed Junhongs hand under the table, not being afraid to show affection in public.

“It would have been better if Youngjae and Daehyun were here too, though,” Junhong noted.

“Is Youngjae still avoiding you?” Yongguk asked. Himchan hummed in response, “I haven’t properly talked to him in a month, only small talk.”

“Me neither,” Junhong added, “He’s always hanging out with that group of our seniors now. The last thing I’ve heard was that apparently he gets on really well with two of them.” Junhong’s expression fell with the last words, causing Yongguk who sat next to him to ruffle his hair.

“Don’t worry Junhong, he won’t replace you! He will start hanging out with you again once he is over Daehyun.”

“But he doesn’t need to get over him! It was just a misunderstanding!” Junhong almost yelled.

“I know but Youngjae doesn’t.”

“But he doesn’t even want to listen to us! And Daehyun doesn’t even try to talk to him.” At this point, Junhong was almost frustrated. He knew about the stubborn nature of his best friend and he never thought it would annoy him so much at one point.

“Daehyun wants to give him some time to get used to him. They will talk eventually, they can’t avoid each other forever. They’re both mature enough to settle their problems by themselves,” Yongguk tried to reassure the boy who was clearly upset about his friend.

“Maybe they just need a little push?” Junhong suggested. “No! This will never go well with Youngjae,” Himchan added, making Junhong frown in disappointment.

“If we don’t make it too obvious, we can at least try to get Daehyun to make a step, he’s not that difficult,” Jongup recommended.

“And how do you think that will work?” Himchan asked, putting on a serious face. For a moment there was silence as all of them tried to think of a way to play cupid for their two friends who obviously still liked each other.

“My birthday!” Junhong said, making the others look up in confusion. “What about your birthday?” Himchan asked.

“They both will be there. We just need to get Youngjae drunk enough that he won’t be able to run away.” Junhong was obviously proud of his suggestion but the others just furrowed their eyebrows.

“This will never work,” Himchan grumbled, “And apart from that, I’m not even sure if Youngjae will come when there’s just the six of us.”

“What else can we do then?” Jongup asked.

“We definitely need to work on Daehyun, I think, the chances are much bigger with him,” Himchan explained, chewing on his bottom lip in concentration.

“Why don’t you invite Youngjae’s new friends too? I think the chance of him joining us is quite high if he isn’t stuck with two couples and Daehyun,” Yongguk said.

“You’re a genius, Gukkie!” Himchan exclaimed in delight, “Maybe we can get Daehyun jealous like that, do you remember the day Jae received that love letter? Daehyun was furious.”

“Sounds good, that actually could work.” Yongguk nodded.

“Then it’s settled!” Himchan said and clapped his palms together, announcing this topic to be finished like that.

 

They finished their drinks and made their way to Himchan’s house to sleep over like they had planned. Himchan was annoyed that they had to spend time on their double date to fix the relationship of Daehyun and Youngjae and pondered over ideas to make his friend pay for that.

He would definitely come up with something mean for Youngjae to make up for it. But after all, Himchan was a good friend who would never deny helping a friend in need.