Chapter 8

Death Awaits

Chapter 8

~ Haeri’s POV ~

It was late afternoon the day after Infinite visited me. For the whole day, there were only two things going on in my head. The disbelief that I’ve been feeling well for almost a whole day now, and the disbelief in receiving Sunggyu oppa’s letter.

Should I reply? I’ve been asking myself over and over again. And how? If I send him a message on his SNS, would he read it? Among all the messages he receives from Inspirits daily? I don’t even know his cellphone number. Through the years of Infinite, I’ve been most awkward with him, so naturally, I wasn’t able to ask for his number.

Should I send it through Hyunie oppa? I thought as I bit my lower lip hard. Would he suspect something if I ask him for Sunggyu oppa’s number?

I sighed and grabbed my phone, ready to dial Hyunie oppa’s number. As I was about to click call, my hand froze and I realize this would be the first time I’m calling oppa since I was told to stop going to class. Then I remembered how I was trying to call him back then, and how devastated I felt when he didn’t answer.

And I was scared to feel that way again. But then again, good days like this rarely come to me anymore, so I might as well make oppa feel that his Riri still remembers him.

I grasped my phone tightly, grabbed the letters from Hyunie and Sunggyu oppa, jumped to my feet and ran down to the kitchen where my mom was preparing dinner.

“Eomma,” I called as I stopped at the foot of the stairs. “I’m going to oppa.” And I ran. I slipped my shoes on, grabbed my bag which was somehow left on the couch after all this time and ran out. By the time I reached the station, I was gasping for air.

“Never run, Nam Haeri. You’re not the healthy girl you used to be.” I told myself and willed myself to walk despite the adrenaline rush.

 

The nearer I got to the Woollim Entertainment building, the more I hesitated.

Should I just have called? Am I doing too much? But as I neared the building, the familiarity of the place felt nice, and I wanted to see oppa. So I braced myself and entered.

Everyone still knew me, apparently. Except for some new faces, some managers, some trainees maybe. They let me go straight to where Infinite was practicing. I peeked into the room and saw Hyunie oppa. He was practicing what seemed to be a dance break with Dongwoo oppa. Myungsoo, Sungyeol, and Sungjong oppa were at the side of the room, talking in a circle. Meanwhile, Sunggyu oppa was nowhere to be seen.

“Haeri-shi,” someone called behind me.

I immediately turned around and bowed, “Annyeong haseyo.” When I looked up, I saw the one I was most anxious to see. “Sunggyu oppa.”

 

~ Sunggyu’s POV ~

“Sunggyu oppa.” I could see the shock in her face when she saw it was me who called her. Why was she here though?

“I – I’m here to see oppa,” she said in a low voice.

“Woohyunie?” I asked, and wanted to smack myself right then and there.

Of course she was referring to Woohyun, you .

“Ne,” she whispered. “I need to talk to him.”

She kept her head low, and I wondered if she was always like that. I never noticed.

“Is it urgent? I can call him for you.” I was already grasping the door knob when she put a hand on my arm.

“Aniya. It’s okay. I can wait. Thank you.” She gave me a small smile and quickly looked away again.

I stood there awkwardly. It’s always been hard to talk to her. For me at least. Everyone seems to be close to her.

“Oppa,” she whispered. “Komawo.”

Thank you? For what? She seemed to see the question on my face.

“For yesterday, when Hyunie oppa had to get my medicine,” she said slowly, trying to see if I understood. And I did. I wish I didn’t because remembering how I held her had me blushing and I just hoped she didn’t notice.

“So when are you planning to answer my question then?” I blurted out.

She was shocked. So was I. But it’s been bugging me ever since we left their house. I don’t know what I was thinking, but seeing her so sick then made me realize how much time I wasted. So I just grabbed a pen and paper, wrote down and left before I could take it back.

“What?” She asked, but she started rummaging into her bag. “This? It’s really from you?”

“Who did you think it’s from?” I asked. Or exclaimed, seeing how she flinched slightly. I cleared my throat and asked in a softer voice. “Didn’t I write my name?”

formed an o shape, and I realized she did think it wasn’t from me. “I just thought it might be Hyunie oppa playing jokes on me.”

“That guy would choke himself first before playing tricks on you.” I said. “Or maybe I can choke him for you.”

At that moment, the practice room door opened and Woohyun came into view. “Hyung why are you here, we’re done with the dance break we can – Riri-ah!”

I smiled at Haeri before entering the practice room.

 

~ Haeri’s POV ~

I didn’t expect to get my answer so soon, before I could even respond to Sunggyu oppa, he was already inside the room and Hyunie oppa was babbling in front of me, holding me by my arms and shaking me not so slightly.

“Are you hurt? Ya, answer me. What’s wrong? Riri-ah,” he babbled on and on until I looked at him and shook my head.

“I’m okay, oppa. I just needed to ask something, but I already got my answer.” I smiled to reassure him that nothing was wrong. “But I also need this.”

And I hugged him. I stood on my toes and wrapped my arms around his neck. “I missed you.”

“I was at home yesterday, Riri-ah.” Oppa chuckled. “But yeah, I missed you too, my Riri.” He wrapped his arms so tightly around me.

“Sorry,” I whispered. “I’m sorry for forgetting so much.”

“It’s not your fault,” he reassured me. “Oppa’s not mad.”

I pulled away and wiped my tears. “But I’m hurting oppa. I feel like I’m starting to lose myself. I hate it when I can’t remember what I did. I hate it when I can’t remember you. I hate it when I hate you.”

Oppa wiped more of the tears that flowed down my cheeks. “Is that why my Riri came here?”

I sniffed and nodded. “Riri wanted to come see you while I’m okay. I don’t want you to think I really hate you.”

Oppa smiled so sweetly at me. “Oppa doesn’t think that way. I’ll never think that way. Okay?”

“I want to keep remembering you,” I said as I hugged his toned body. “I want to keep being your number 1 fan.”

I heard oppa sigh. “Then why don’t you come and support oppa during practice?”

And so I found myself inside Infinite’s practice room, having a special first glance of their new songs.

 

~ Author’s POV ~

As much as Haeri loved and missed her brother, she couldn’t help but wander her eyes towards the other man, who, unknown to her, has been stealing glances at her as well.

Haeri wondered how to deliver her answer to Sunggyu without her brother noticing. She tried to convince herself it wasn’t a big deal even if he knew, but it was. She had the biggest crush on Sunggyu and Woohyun knew it. As much as Haeri loved and supported her own brother, Woohyun knew she really liked Sunggyu. And Haeri thought he’d probably go nuts if he knew Sunggyu wanted to visit her.

She was lost in her thoughts when her view of the group was blocked. She looked up and saw Sunggyu looking down at her. “You’re spacing out.” He sat beside her and handed her a bottle of water. “Or are you not feeling well?”

She shook her head and thanked him. “I’m just… thinking.”

“If you’re thinking about how to answer my question, you can say it now.” He smiled cheekily at her. “I know I can be a bit intimidating, you know, with how handsome and cool I am.”

Haeri almost choked on the water she was drinking. She wiped the few spills of water on the side of her lips. “Why are you suddenly like this oppa?” She asked, refusing to look at him.

What she didn’t know was that Sunggyu was dying of embarrassment either. He just knew that he had to get the answer out of her. Because basing on the past few years of knowing each other, nobody approaches the either. And he learned his lesson.

“You can’t disagree, or you’re going to insult so many Inspirits.” He said, crossed his arms and sat back.

“I’m an Inspirit too, in case you forgot,” she copied him and crossed her arms as well. She was feeling a little less uncomfortable now. “And the answer is yes.”

Sunggyu kept himself from smiling widely. He looked at her seriously. “I’m sorry for not talking to you often.”

“That’s nothing to apologize for, oppa.” She said. “Although it would have been nice to be friends with my bias.”

Sunggyu didn’t hide his smile at that. All along he thought her bias was naturally Woohyun. “Then we can start now.” He put his hand on her head and ruffled her hair. “Haeri-ah.”