Chapter 3

Death Awaits

~Haeri’s POV~

“Riri-ah~~~ Ireona~~~” Haeri smiled sadly after hearing his voice.

“Riri-ah~~~ It’s time to wake up!”

“Is my Riri awake? Hmm? Hmm?” Her heart clenched at the sound of his aegyo.

“Hyunie misses Riri~~ Hyunie wants to hear Riri’s voice~~” his voice said followed by a pouting sound.

“Riri-ah, Hyunie oppa needs to go practice now. Riri must take care of herself, huh? Hyunie will be sad if Riri is not okay. Okay?”

“Ah, how could I forget. Riri-ah, I love you!”

 

            It was the day after he dropped by. Haeri was still under her blanket, her face stuffed against a pillow as she played his voice messages over and over again.

            “Why is he sending these all of a sudden,” she muttered. “Why now?”

            Woohyun had stopped sending her voice messages when he realized she was going to ignore him no matter what. He tried to comfort her and make up for not being home through voice messages, but she ignored him nonetheless. And it was just the same when he finally went home.

 

~Author’s POV~

~Flashback~

“Riri-ah,” Woohyun called out as he stepped into the front door. “Riri.” He stepped towards his sister who was sitting on the couch, her knees firm against her chest. She was fumbling with a small piece of white paper.

“Riri-ah,” Woohyun called out again as he kneeled in front of her. “Riri-ah, Hyunie oppa is here, hmm? Oppa is already here.”

Haeri kept her head down, her hair covering her face. Her fingers still fumbled with the piece of paper.

“Riri-ah,” Woohyun whispered, “please look at oppa. How are you, hmm? How’s my Riri?”

Haeri mumbled a word, but it was too soft to be heard.

“Hmm? What did my Riri say?” Woohyun asked, his hand resting on her arm.

Haeri mumbled again, more than a word this time, but he still did not hear it.

“Speak louder, Riri. Oppa can’t hear you,” Woohyun said, squeezing her arm encouragingly.

“Haeri is-” she started. “Haeri is-“

“Haeri is?” he asked. “Haeri is sad? Haeri is mad at Hyunie oppa? Haeri wants to hit Hyunie oppa?”

Haeri shook her head, her fingers shaking terribly now, and Woohyun finally noticed the piece of paper between her fingers.

“What’s this?” He took it from her, and spread it neatly before reading it.

“What? ‘Haeri is dying? Haeri wants to die? Haeri doesn’t want to live anymore?’ What is this?!” Woohyun gripped her arms, his stare digging holes into her. “Look at me Nam Haeri,” he said firmly.

She shook her head, keeping it down, hiding her face from him.

“Look at me,” he said again, but when she did not, he shouted. “LOOK AT ME NAM HAERI!”

She whimpered in fear and slowly raised her head. Her whole body started shaking.

“Haeri wants to die,” she whispered. “Haeri is hurt. Haeri is scared. Haeri wants to die.”

Woohyun stared as she started sobbing, her arms shaking terribly in his hands.

“Haeri is scared. Haeri sees things. Haeri is in pain. Haeri is alone. Haeri wants to d-“

“NO!” He screamed. “Riri won’t die because Riri is not alone. If Riri is hurt, Hyunie oppa will get hurt with her.”

Haeri shook her head violently. “No! Haeri is alone! Woohyun is not with Haeri anymore! Nam Woohyun doesn’t care about Haeri. Nam Woohyun doesn’t care if Haeri is dying!”

“That’s not true!” he said as he held her face in his hands. “Hyunie will always be here for Riri, remember? Hyunie is Riri’s forever.”

“Nam Woohyun was not here for Haeri. Woohyun doesn’t care,” Haeri cried out.

Woohyun bit his bottom lip as tears started falling from his eyes. “No, Riri, listen to me. I’m still Hyunie oppa, okay? I’m not Nam Woohyun, I’m Riri’s Hyunie oppa.”

“Riri and Hyunie don’t exist,” she sobbed. “Riri is healthy, Riri is happy, Riri is loved by Hyunie.” She raised her fists and started hitting his chest. “Haeri is sick! Haeri is sad! Haeri is alone!” She cried harder, as she continuously hit his chest and arms.

Woohyun let his arms lie on his sides, his head down as he accepted the blows from his younger sister, her words ringing endlessly in his ears.

“Haeri doesn’t want to live! Haeri is hurt! Haeri is dying! Haeri is alone!!” She hit him one more time before she pushed him away and jumped on her feet, running away to her room.

“Riri!” Woohyun shouted for her, but she already slammed the door shut, locking it in the process.

Woohyun buried his face in his hands, pouring out his frustrations through tears.