First Day

Wrapped Around Your Finger

You rolled your eyes at your mom. She wasn’t going to ruin your first day of school no matter how evil and demon-possessed she acted towards you. Flipping your burgundy hair behind your shoulder and glaring at her with your shocking green eyes, you opened up your palm.

“I’m leaving now.” You said opening and closing your palm. “Keys please?” Mom always kept the keys at night in fear of you breaking the rules or worse- having fun.

She rolled her eyes. “I forgot!” She said cynically. “You’re driving now! Just try not to wreck the car!”

Seething, you grabbed the keys and your purse and opened the door angrily. Don’t be concerned about me or anything. You thought as you checked your first-day-of-school outfit once again.

http://umbrella-eqal.s3.amazonaws.com/s3photo/JX6mLEQa8A141OlWg4iCN6ag.jpeg

You didn’t really have one certain style- some days you were cutesy and some days you were punk rock. This was your first day at this school, so you had to make a statement. This one said “I’m tough and I know what I’m doing. I’m a senior and all- so don’t mess with me.” A senior! In one year you would be in college and as far away from your parents as you could possibly be. Not to mention you would officially be on your own for the first time in your life. You reveled in the excitement as you your tin can of a car. Pulling out of the driveway, you checked in the mirror to make sure your makeup was okay- you hoped that maybe one guy would show interest in you today.

http://makeupforlife.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/kristen-stewart-burgundy-eye-makeup-2013-met-gala.jpg

You wanted one thing to happen this year- get a boyfriend. Back in Alabama all of your friends had already had their first kiss- but you were a boyfriend , and you thought it might be that way forever. But this year you were going to try a little harder to look presentable, no matter how you got there. Sure- it was hard to buy new clothes when your parents made you pay for everything- car, car insurance, gas, clothing. You didn’t even have a cell phone and you were 18.

You had always asked them why other kids your age got everything they wanted and you didn’t but the answer was the same every time. “You can’t have everything handed to you on a silver platter. When you grow up you’ll actually know how to pay for your own things, while all of your friends have no idea and their parents are in debt.” It made sense, sure, but it would still be a lot easier if they helped a little bit.

Pulling into the school parking lot, you found a parking spot and got out grabbing your purse. Your old nervous habit kicked in- you started rubbing your ring finger against your middle finger to make sure your purity ring was there. Dad had taken you out to get it when you were 14- and it didn’t fit when you got home, so you’d been wearing it on your middle finger ever since. When people used to ask you what the ring meant, you were embarrassed to say what for. Now you wore it like a badge of honor. While other girls you knew were going to have to explain to their husbands all of the men they slept with, you could give the gift to your husband and your husband only- you were sure that would make your wedding night even more special. Call me prude, but you didn’t care.

As you opened the doors to the school, all you could do was stand inside the entrance and gape at the inside. Thousands of kids rushed about the linoleum, slamming their lockers and joking around with the freshman. You fumbled through your purse, trying to find your schedule and map, when a rhinoceros, or what seemed like a rhinoceros slammed into you full force. You could barely get your feet underneath you in time.

“What the-“You said, turning to the disturbance. Uh oh.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vMXlPXnH-9M/T7XcKiV2oTI/AAAAAAAAAE0/kr6ayVvNX3M/s320/exo-mama-suho-face-shot.jpg

A god stared down angrily at you, glowering. “Out of the way, fresh meat.” He spat, quickly shuffling around you and stomping away. All you could do was stare at the ground pathetically. You shouldn’t have bothered with the dramatic makeup or clothing- you still came off as a 13 year old with a flat chest. Oh well, you didn’t want to get the attention from a selfish waste of space either, so that was a win. Shrugging, you continued on your way, checking your map every few seconds to make sure you were going in the right direction.

Finally making it to your locker, you fiddled with the padlock and after seven failed attempts, opened it. A hand reached towards the locker next to you in your peripheral vision, toggling with the padlock as well.

“Hey. First day here?” He asked in a nasally voice. You rolled your eyes, slowly pressing your forehead up against the cool metal of the locker. The only attention you ever attracted was from weirdo nerds. That was that, no changing it.

Ignoring him, you continued to grab books, hoping he would go away.

“What’s your name?” He asked. Sighing, you opened your mouth, getting ready to let him down easy as you turned to face him. Instead of words all that came out was air.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34700000/-Jongin-kai-exo-k-34720752-245-290.png

Mr. Dark and Handsome grinned, leaning against the locker and casting a giant shadow over you. He was tall- and talking to you? That alone made your eyebrow rise in a silent question. Too embarrassed to speak, you quickly slammed your locker shut, running in the direction of your class.

“What’s your name?” He asked again.

“Summer! Gotta go!” You shouted, galloping into your classroom. What was with all the hot guys at this school? And why did you keep having run-ins with all of them?

That’s usually how it happened though. At the first day of her old school in Alabama, all the guys acted interested in her on the first day. But once they got to know her boring personality they ignored her, so that’s probably what would happen here as well.

You realized you were wrong as you sat in a cluster of empty seats at the back of the room. No one sat next to you. In the movies this was the time when that friendly girl talked to you and you guys were bffs for life, but no such thing happened. It was so much more different in California then in Alabama.

Suddenly the seat on your right was occupied, and you tried to see who it was without moving your head. Great. Mr. Dark and Handsome again.

“Hey- you can’t just shout a random season at me and run away like that.”

You groaned, but he just stared at you blankly.

“You gonna tell me your name or what?”

“It’s really Summer.” You said, pretending to be really interested in the teacher at the front of the room. You let your hair slide from behind your ear and cover your face. These were the moments when you were painfully shy.

“I’m Kai.” He said, actually taking his hand and moving your hair back from behind your ear. A hysteric laugh filled with panic rose from your throat, and Kai looked at you like you were crazy- or fresh from the asylum. Or both.

You just stared at him with wide eyes, trying to say “look I’m just here to study and go home okay” but the words wouldn’t come out. You were tongue-tied.

He grinned, laughing cockily.

http://static.tumblr.com/9b2d0b748164ca550d30eb3326f2990d/eko90p0/8Pbmph8gv/tumblr_static_kai_laughing.gif

All of a sudden the words just came out.

“You seem very confident and sure of yourself. Can you teach me how to be that way too?”
His mouth opened in shock, eyes wide.  He opened his mouth to speak but the teacher talked over him.

“Listen up class, you already know who I am, I know who you are. Let’s skip the theatrics and get to work.”

Suddenly someone entered the room late. Summer couldn’t see who it was but Kai waved to the person excitedly.

http://i.imgur.com/KJiXV.gif

You dared to look behind you and see who it was- then immediately regretted it. It was the dude from before that almost broke your neck in a collision. He saw you and rolled his eyes.

The only seat that was open was the one next to you. Why can’t I have any friends? You asked yourself pathetically.

The guy stomped over to the desk; he sure did a lot of stomping, and noisily slammed his books onto the desk. The teacher stared at him, along with the rest of the class, with open mouths.

He gave the teacher a super-dirty look,

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ca42924ab3e66662b4a554845e9eea4b/tumblr_mg2wtxuTj91qc3tgdo1_250.png

 then yelled at him. “Just start the goddamn lesson!”

The teacher fumbled around on his desk, trying to find something to do or say. Why was he taking orders from a mere student? He wasn’t like, the son of the head of the school board, was he?

As if he was reading your thoughts, Kai chuckled. “Even better.” He whispered into your hair. Goosebumps rose all over your arms. “The mayor.”

Uh oh.

The teacher finally started to talk again. “Let’s begin with a little back-history of our humble little town.” He gulped. As if- This town was bigger than Hawaii.

“In 1917 at the Battle of Amber Creek, 1,400 lives were lost...”

You couldn’t help what happened at moments like this. It was like your inner-lawyer kicked in. You couldn’t stand stupidity.

Your hand shot up against your brain screaming at you not to; the teacher gave you a pointed look.

“What is it…?” He checked his chart. “Summer?”

You cleared your throat. All inhibitions fell to your feet as you shamelessly answered. “You’re wrong- it was actually 1,500 lives lost, not 1,400.”
The teacher stared at you astonished. An irritated look clouded his vision. “Does somebody want to check that out and prove miss know-it-all wrong?”

Kai quickly opened his book, scanning through the pages. “Aha!” He said, looking up triumphantly at the teacher. “It says here that… In 1917 at the Battle of Amber Creek, 1,500 lives were lost!”

The teacher rolled his eyes.

A chuckle erupted next to you. Your eyes widened when you realized who was laughing. It was him.

“Nice job klutz.” he whispered so only she could hear.