Answer Me

One Missed Call

The weather was hot, it was summer. Seung Ri, together with his friends, was on a party inside the big cruise ship. It was a week-long celebration for his promotion as vice-president of their company. “Seung Ri-oppa, champagne?” a random girl asked bringing a bottle of champagne. Seung Ri smiled and put his arm around her. “Is that as hot as you?” he asked and smiled. The girl giggled and opened the bottle.

Jeju Island was indeed a beautiful place. Sun Mi had been locking herself inside the big wide room since the day she arrived. “I don’t want to get married. I don’t want to get married.” She thought as she shook her head, thinking of what might happen if the wedding would be a success. “No it won’t be.” She thought as her mind panicked.

“Taecyeon!” Sun Mi heard someone shout outside. She tried to peek in through the peep hole and found the tall Taecyeon standing at her door. “Why is he here?” she asked herself.

Sun Mi met Taecyeon when she was in high school and he was in a university. He was also her long lost fiancé. Taecyeon was a rebel; he didn’t want his parents to screw up his life with their decisions so he decided to run away from home after his graduation. But now, he was found.

“Sun Mi, let me in! Hurry!” he knocked on the door hard. Sun Mi immediately opened the door and locked it as he got in. “Taecyeon-sshi…” she mumbled, shocked by his appearance. He looked like a gangster who was badly beaten. “Let’s get out of here fast! We’ll pass by the window!” he pulled her and took the sheets on the bed. “Are you crazy?!” she exclaimed and took the blankets from his hands. “You’re the one who’s crazy! Mom and Dad will beat me up if they see me like this!” he shouted and tied the sheets into a long rope. “I don’t want to jump out of that window!” she yelled. “Sssh!” They might know we’re escaping!” he whispered and covered . Sun Mi strongly took his hand and stepped back. “Taecyeon-sshi, calm down!” she demanded. Taecyeon stopped tying the rope and looked at Sun Mi. “What?” he asked.

When he was calm, Sun Mi began the talking and asked why was he looked horrible. Taecyeon told her about his journeys around Europe, America and Asia.

“So how did they find out that you were in Hong Kong?” she asked. Taecyeon sighed. “I left the copy of the list of places I’ll be going to inside my drawer. Hong Kong was my last stop and it was scheduled this summer.” He informed and slapped his face. “I’m a total idiot! Idiot! Idiot!” he said these as he banged his head on the wall. “Hey. Can’t you even calm down? Do you drink so much coffee?” she asked. Taecyeon stopped banging his head and laughed. “Coffee?” he chuckled…then laughed so hard.

“A-yo, Seung Ri, man! You gotta good stuff happenin’ in your life…but where’s your girl?” Ji-yong, a good friend, asked as he approached him. Seung Ri, who was happy to see his face, suddenly looked deplorable. “Gone.” He muttered. “Gone?! She broke up with you?” he asked. “Nah, she said she just wanted some space, so I gave her some. And she hasn’t called me since then.” He said sadly. “Oh, that’s baaaad. Damn. You should try calling her.” Ji-yong suggested. Seung Ri shook his head. “She doesn’t want me on her ‘space’.” He said and ran his hand through his face. “Maybe she’s going to breakup with you soon.” Ji-yong said with a tone of pity. He tapped Seung Ri’s shoulder as he left.

The day of the wedding was getting near, Sun Mi and Taecyeon didn’t know what to do. After hearing the report on Sun Mi’s shout about ‘jumping out of the window’, Dae Rin put bodyguards all over the hotel they were in.

“And now we’re stuck…thanks to all your yelling.” Taecyeon muttered. “You’re blaming me? You knocked on my door so hard and plotted on suicide by jumping out of the window!” she shouted. Taecyeon covered with such force that caused her to fall on the bed, with him on top of course. They looked at each other for a short while.

“Ahem.” Taecyeon stood up and shrugged off the embarrassment. Sun Mi sat quietly on the bed. “Sorry.” He mumbled and cleared his throat again. “Umm…the marriage. Are you okay with it?” she asked. Taecyeon was quiet for a while. “I guess we don’t have any choice don’t we?” he finally spoke. Sun Mi sighed and looked outside the window. “What’s Oppa doing now?” she thought.

The next day was the last day of Seung Ri’s cruise, the same day for the wedding. Juliet awaits her Romeo; Sun Mi awaits Seung Ri to answer the phone.

On the cruise ship, Seung Ri walked along the balcony as everyone enjoyed the pool party, the last party before they disembark. A sudden call caught his ear, it was Kwon Yuri’s voice, a girl he met from his trip to Paris. “Seung Ri-sshi! Someone’s calling you!” she shouted and waved her hand to show the phone.

Before she could hand it over, she bumped on a waiter bringing pitchers of iced tea. CRASH! The phone fell straight to the ocean. “My phone!” Seung Ri cried out. Yuri hardly stood up after what she had done.

_______________

THE NUMBER YOU HAVE DIALED IS EITHER UNATTENDED OR OUT OF COVERAGE AREA. PLEASE TRY YOUR CALL LATER.

“How come no one’s answering? Seung Ri-oppa! Save me!” Sun Mi yelled on the mouthpiece. She went out of the bathroom having difficulties with her gown, hopeless. “I don’t want to get married…Seung Ri-oppa!...” she thought.

_______________

“Who was calling me?” Seung Ri asked as he clutched his fists. “I’m not sure but it sounded like Sun…Mi…yes Sun Mi!” Yuri answered as she rubbed off the spilled iced tea on her clothes.

_______________

“Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the groom and the bride.” Everyone clapped their hands as Sun Mi and Taecyeon walked down the aisle.

_______________

Without any second thoughts, Seung Ri jumped off the ship to get his phone back, but it was too late.

_______________

ONE MISSED CALL: SUN MI