Am I Too Late?

One Missed Call

The party was barely finished when Sun Mi asked Taec to take her home. “I don’t feel well.” she slightly massaged the corners of her forehead. “I was hoping you’d tell me that earlier. Let’s go.” Taec grabbed her by the hand. “Thanks… for helping me out.” Sun Mi muttered as they drove home. “No problem. I really don’t know the whole story but I think I get the whole point. You left him without saying anything, right?” he asked. Sun Mi nodded. She passed out after the conversation.

__________

“Wait! Where do you think are you taking me? Stop the car this instant!” Yuri shouted. “Is that how you repay me after what you did to my phone and to my relationship?” Seung Ri asked and pulled the breaks. “Hey, wasn’t that fair? What I did earlier?” Yuri asked angrily. “Do you know how hard it is to look at the one I love married to another man?” he asked and hit the stirring wheel with his fist. Yuri was so shocked; she never really knew what a mess she had done. “I… I’m sorry.” she mumbled. “Yeah, you should be.” Seung Ri said and began to start the engines. “Wait! How about I treat you for a drink tonight? I know a place nearby!” Yuri got out of the car immediately. Seung Ri wanted to get rid of the previous thoughts so he decided to tag along.

Laser lights.

Party Music.

Beer.

Drunk people.

Author's Note:  You know what happened, don’t you? Do I need to narrate every detail of that night? If you still don’t get it, then maybe you’re too young, or you just plainly don’t get it. Peace.

____________

*Sound of alarm clock ringing*

Sun Mi slowly opened her eyes and turned the alarm off. “Hey, good morning.” a happy manly voice greeted. Sun Mi sat up and was surprised to see Taecyeon sitting by her bed, bringing a tray filled with food for breakfast. “Good morning.” she smiled and fixed her hair. “Feeling better?” he asked and flashed his killer smile. Honestly, with him by her side, she felt much better. “Mhm.” she nodded.

“I brought you breakfast.”

“You shouldn’t have, you know. But anyway, thanks.”

______________

Seung Ri was still closing his eyes, he chose not to open them yet. He was thinking within himself. “Daaaaarn, my body is so exhausted. My head hurts too. The pain. It stings! It stings!”

“Good morning, sleepyhead.” a sweet voice broke the silence that enveloped the room. This time, he opened his eyes. “Y-yuri!” he exclaimed and sat up, bumping on her head. “Hey, is that how you greet a woman in the morning? That hurt!” she brushed the pain off. “What the--? Did we---? You---? Oh my gawd.!” Seung Ri stood up and got dressed. “I’ll be going now.” He said as he took his keys and left the room.

“Geez. I never knew he’s the shy type.”

Inside his car, Seung Ri thought about what happened. “I can’t believe it. I can’t believe it! Darn!” he speeded up. He thought of Sun Mi again. “Why can’t I forget about that alien anyway?!” he asked angrily.

____________

Sun Mi, after getting dressed, went down the living room to check on Taec. He was scanning their itinerary for the day. “Hectic?” she asked and sat beside him to take a look. “Guess not. Your mom is a bit merciful, isn’t she?” he said and laughed. Sun Mi smiled and giggled a bit. “First stop, what does it say? Museum? Oh, the Teddy Bear Museum! Awesome! C’mon!” Sun Mi stood in excitement and pulled Taecyeon up. “Hey, calm down!”

The journey from home was long, but Sun Mi never thought about boredom, she just thought about what she was gonna do when she arrives at the museum. Taecyeon who was sitting beside her couldn’t help but smile, seeing her happy made his heart beat faster and slower at the same time. “No, not yet.” He thought.

“You are so cute! Taec-sshi, let’s take a picture together!” she grabbed her camera and took a picture with the white teddy bear she was holding. “You look cuter than the teddy bear.” He pinched her cheek and chuckled. Instead of smiling, Sun Mi went blank as something flash backed.

Seung Ri smiled and pinched her cheek lightly. “If it’s for your happiness then why not?”

__________

Seung Ri stopped his car at a place he called nowhere. He drove himself away from the crowded parts of the city, away from the people. It was a clear field of flowers nearby the river and the highway road. He wanted to take a short nap so he closed his eyes for a bit.

The gust of wind that blew upon his face brought memories of their last conversation.

“We won’t break up. I just need this tiny space.” She said as she tried to show him the tiny space by the distance of her fingers. 

The words were so clear. Even her actions were clear. “Why Sun Mi? Maybe I was a total idiot for leaving my phone behind, wasn’t I? Wasn’t I?” he asked as tears formed in his eyes.

Things that can never be together will never be together. Sometimes or maybe oftentimes, love isn’t enough. Did they even love each other? If they did, maybe they didn’t show it enough. But he believed that it was never too late. “Sun Mi could file a divorce, right?” he thought. “But what if that Taecyeon guy was a better man than me?”

He finally stood up and decided to release everything.

___________

Meanwhile, Sun Mi and Taecyeon were driving for their next stop which was back in the main city. She decided to open the windows for some fresh air and peeped outside to look at the beautiful view.

“Yo, Taec. You should check this out. That man’s got a nice car over there. He looks crazy!” Sun Mi was trying to take a picture of the man.

___________

“Sun Mi-ah! I’m sorry! I’m sorry for being such an idiot! I’m sorry!” Seung Ri shouted.

___________

As Sun Mi and Taecyeon’s car got nearer, Sun Mi could see that the man was shouting something. She tried to listen to the words.

“Can we slow down a bit?” she asked him. Taecyeon didn’t know what was going on but he did slow the car down.

This time, she could hear him clearly with the help of the camera's zoom.

__________

“I’m sorry I didn’t show you how I loved you so much! I’m sorry for treating you that way! The truth is that I love you so much! I love you more than anything!” he took deep breaths. Tears were flowing like river from his eyes and he was sweating.

“Every word I said was true, Sun Mi!” he added and knelt down.

_________

“Seung Ri?” Sun Mi mumbled.

“Stop the car!” she shouted. She was about to open the car to go out and comfort him when another car got in the picture. It parked near Seung Ri’s car and a familiar figure went out.

It was a girl. The girl from the party. She was Seung Ri’s girlfriend now and her name was Kwon Yuri. She immediately embraced Seung Ri as he hugged her back.

_________

“Let’s go, Taec.”

The engines started. Sun Mi closed the window and began to cry.