Our Love Is a Lie

One Missed Call

Late that night, the gray skies poured no rain but the wind blew all the leaves away. Seung Ri walked along the now lonely streets of Paris. The lampposts were still lit and they gave the whole place a warm feeling despite the cold weather.

Where’s Yuri?” he thought.

His feet were sore from walking; he badly wanted to sit down. “This is so strange.

Just around the corner, a fancy bench awaited him. It was under the brightest lamppost among others and a girl was also sitting at one end. He slowly walked towards it, towards her.

“May I sit?” he asked courteously. The girl only nodded in response. After some time, he wondered why the girl was all alone.

“Don’t you have any companions?” he asked, feeling a bit awkward since the girl had been really quiet the whole time. Her strange sitting position added to the awkwardness. “Do you really sit like that?” he asked. She comfortably sat on the bench without any noise.

“Leave me alone.” She finally spoke.

“Can I just stay for a few minutes? My feet really hurt.”

The girl quietly sat there and Seung Ri continued to rest his entire body. He felt exhausted. First, it was just his feet, now he felt restless everywhere. A sudden change in the atmosphere made its way into Seung Ri’s senses.

“Sun Mi, stop hiding your face.” He muttered. His voice was so serious that anyone would be suspecting that something’s wrong. The girl sat straight and looked at Seung Ri. “I told you to leave me alone.”

“Shouldn't you be apologizing?” he asked with slight anger. “Apologizing? Why didn’t you answer your phone? I called you.” she said; her voice was filled with sorrow.

Darn. I couldn’t just tell her about everything. She might not believe that heroic act of jumping off my yacht just to get the phone back.”

Seung Ri scratched his head. “Aiissh, how do I tell you this?!” he asked with annoyance. He couldn’t find the right words to start. “I’m leaving first.” Sun Mi stood up and began to walk.

“Yuri and I… the truth is… I… I just wanted you to see that I could continue my life without you. I wanted you to see how happy I am even though you’re already gone. But Sun Mi… it’s hard.” Seung Ri was gathering tears in his eyes.

Sun Mi stopped and began to speak.

“I called you, you never answered. I waited for you, you never came.” Her words were short but they shot him straight.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were getting married?” he asked and clenched his fists. “Do I have to say them again? I called you,” she replied.

“You said you wanted some space so I gave you your space. I understood what you meant; you didn’t want me on that space! You called me but it was too late!” he yelled.

Sun Mi cupped her hands on as she stopped the tears.

“One final question. Can I win you back?” he asked sadly.

Sun Mi couldn’t answer him directly. She turned around and found herself leaning against his body; it was so warm. He slowly brushed his lips against hers, and the tears she tried to stop began to fall. He held her thin waist and pulled her closer. She slowly kissed back and wrapped her arms around his neck.

When they both pulled away, he hugged her tight. So tight that he didn’t want to let go anymore.

That was the best night of his life… so far.

____________


“SEUNG RI-aaaaaaaaaah!” a squeaky voice woke him up from his fantasies. He opened his eyes and found Yuri sitting beside him; her face looked miserable.

“Hey, what’s up?” he asked, removing the sleep from his eyes. “What’s up? Is that all you want to ask?” she was so angry that her face was red all over. “Why, what’s the matter? Have we arrived?” he asked and looked around him.

“No, we haven’t arrived yet. Actually, I was just about to leave you after making me wait for twenty minutes because of that ‘Sun Mi Sun Mi jjang’ of yours.” Yuri said smiling ironically.

“Really? Gawd, I’m sorry, babe.” He grabbed her head and gave a smack on her lips. Yuri was left astonished.

“That’s okay. Let’s go.” She said, smiling all the way.

______________

Inside their hotel room, Taecyeon and Sun Mi were talking.

“Here.” He handed her a blue notebook.

“What’s this?” Sun Mi asked as she ran through the empty pages.

“Something for you to write on.” He answered.

“What do you want me to write?” she asked as she held on to the notebook tightly.

“Anything you feel about Paris. That’ll be useful.” He replied and stood up.

“Thanks.”