The Not-So Break Up

One Missed Call

The number you have dialed is either unattended or out of coverage area. Please try your call later.

 

BEEP...


 

The sun was already setting and a flock of birds flew by the coast. They sat down by the balcony of the big yacht he owned, he was such a rich young pro who never cared about anything except money and love. Sun Mi sat beside him, wondering. “Oppa, I think we should—“ she didn’t finish her words when he butted in. “I know what you’re thinking. I don’t want to.” He said and held her hand tightly. “But if you won’t I’ll be forced to leave you.” She said as tears gathered in her eyes. “We can’t break up. We just can’t. I just know that. You’re the one for me. You’re the one I’m going to marry.” He pulled her close to him and kissed her forehead. She pushed him away and wiped the tear that gently fell. “We won’t break up. I just need this tiny space.” She said as she tried to show him the tiny space by the distance of her fingers. “You’ll leave?” he asked sadly. She nodded and smiled a sad smile. “So is it okay with you?” she asked with those oh-so-cute puppy eyes of hers. He smiled and pinched her cheek lightly. “If it’s for your happiness then why not?” he smiled. She embraced him tightly and whispered a ‘thank you’ in his ear.

That was the beginning of the end.

Both from two of the richest and most innovative families in South Korea, Sun Mi and Seung Ri are childhood friends turned lovers who both want to live their life to the fullest. Sun Mi was not the typical type; she joins clean and green campaigns and participates on those tree planting activities—such a good example to everybody while Seung Ri lives his life the opposite way. He loved partying, spending his money and traveling around the world to meet new girls.

Love understands; Sun Mi understood and endured everything…but only to this point.

The tiny space she asked for wasn’t too much. “Was it?” she asked herself. She didn’t even hear Seung Ri say ‘I Love You’, but nor did he hear her say those. It was just a fair match and now she’s ending it. “I have realized everything now…” she thought. “We wanted that relationship just so we could call each other a ‘girlfriend’ and a ‘boyfriend’. This would be enough.” She smiled to herself, now she has let go of all the worries. The little ‘cool off’ won’t hurt too much because they didn’t care about each other in a way true lovers did. All they needed was a ‘partner’ in parties, gatherings and special events—in short, a friend who would be there when you need one, not someone who would be more than that.

Weeks passed.

“She never gave me a single call?” he said as he checked his phone. Messages were all from his girls, no Sun Mi. “Damn I miss her.” He muttered and threw the phone on his bed.

Those weeks were long, very long. Sun Mi felt lonely sometimes, but as she thought of freedom, freedom to love, she began to smile. “Who will be my prince?” she asked as she stared outside the window. The night was cold and peaceful.

“Excuse me, Miss.” Her mother’s secretary greeted. She turned around and saw Mr. Jang. “What is it?” she asked sweetly. “Your mother would like to see you in her office.” He informed and led the way.

“You wanted to see me?” Sun Mi asked upon entering the room. She walked towards the couch and sat down while Mr. Jang did a bow and left the room. Her mother stood up from her seat and stared outside the big window behind her chair, smoking on a long thin pipe.

Sun Mi’s mother, Dae Rin, was a strict one. Proper etiquettes should be observed when she’s around; Sun Mi’s terror.

She blew the smoke out of . “I heard you broke up with that Seung Ri.” She said. Sun Mi looked up with eyes widened in shock. Dae Rin turned around. Sun Mi took her gaze away from her mother’s piercing look. “You just realized how unimportant you are to him? How slow is your brain?” she asked with insult in her voice. “We did not break up.” She mumbled. “Fine then. A ‘cool-off’ as you might call it.” She smoked again and emitted a cloud of fine particles. “A cool-off is still a breakup so I arranged your marriage next week, though we’re still looking for Taecyeon’s whereabouts. The maids have packed your things so get ready because we’ll be flying to Jeju for the wedding ceremony.” She continued and sat back on her chair. Sun Mi was dumbfounded.

“A wedding?!”