Ch. 5

Smoke

ayeee i missed writing :DDD uni is death haha.

woohyun and howon go to the same school btw

---

8:24 AM

Woohyun groaned under the fluffy duvet as he cracked open one eye, weakly fumbling in an attempt to shut his phone off. 

Yep, today was Monday

Why were Mondays invented anyway? If everyone hates them so much... "Woooooooohyunnnnnnnieeeeee!" Dongwoo skipped through his door and beamed his toothy smile at the wiggling lump on the bed, bouncing like a hyper puppy who hasn't seen their owner for more than 12 hours. 

Fine. Not everyone hates Mondays. 

He mumbled something incoherent and wrapped himself tighter into his covers (or burrito, as Dongwoo calls it), hoping it was just a dream and that if he falls back asleep then Mondays wouldn't exist anymore. 

"Woohyun!"

No answer.

"Ok fine, I made breakfast."

The covers then revealed half of a forehead.

"If you don't get up then you won't find out whether or not it's your favorite! Come on Woohyunnnn-" 

When his roommate whined, Woohyun knew he lost already. It was always borderline cute and annoying, but he likes Dongwoo too much to complain. And he makes good breakfast. 

By the time he plopped down at the wooden counter, there was only enough time for few bites before he had to catch the bus to his university. The smell of french toast wafted through the kitchen and Woohyun grinned. Mondays aren't too bad.

"You only have 5 minutes to eat so dig in!  Too bad our Woohyunie has class today," Dongwoo wiggled his eyebrows and he laughed at his own remark.

He was like a ray of sunshine, always bright and optimistic. Woohyun rarely sees his friend frowning, and usually it'd only happen when he's upset. Whenever there were tears in Dongwoo's eyes, he would tease goodnaturedly about his less-than-attractive crying face. Then the waterworks would cease for a bit while choked giggles interrupted the sniffling. It would just be him and Dongwoo, huddling together wherever while the latter unleashed everything into Woohyun's sleeves. He'd try to comfort his friend as best as possible, but 60% of the time he was at a loss.

He was special to Woohyun and he tried his best to make sure the other was happy. 

On the other hand, Dongwoo was an expert at comforting others. Perhaps it had something to do with his major in pedalogy, the study of children's behavior and development, but it was definitely something innate as well. Being with children all day certainly had something to do with the way Dongwoo approached situations. In the ways he excelled at dealing with emotional situations, Woohyun lacked a certain level of empathy. He was so used to thinking logically and seeing everything in a rational light that he struggled with things that needed higher emotional intelligence.

Sometimes it killed him.

He always felt too much. There was no lukewarm for Woohyun. Either he was flying or he's buried six feet under the ground.

Or sometimes, it was limbo. 

Woohyun never knew whether or not it was a good state to be in or not, but at least he didn't hurt. 

The ironic thing was how he felt in the extremes, yet he massively at offering support to others who might feel the same way. The only thing he could do was analyze himself. He thought too much sometimes and it backfired in the end. It was hard to understand him as a person, and most people he's acquainted with couldn't keep up. They didn't understand.

They didn't want to understand.  

Woohyun's mind was a turbulent storm, a rough sea underneath it all. But Dongwoo stayed with him at the bottom of the ocean floor when the winds became rough at the surface. For that alone, Woohyun was the luckiest person on the planet. 

He shoved the last bit of syrup-drenched toast into his mouth and threw on his coat and shoes. Before reaching the door, he made sure he had everything and ruffled Dongwoo's hair before stepping outside. 

"Don't fall asleep in class! Make sure to eat lunch!" Dongwoo shouted at the door before Woohyun turned the corner. He raised a hand and waved cutely back at his cuter hyung, a grin forming. 

Right as he reached his bus stop, Woohyun's phone buzzed. He reached into his coat pocket curiously. Is hyung texting me in case I forgot something...?

"Hey Woohyun-ah you awake?" 

Howon.

His fingers itched to reply and a smile played at his lips. 

- "I'm on my way to uni. You? :)"

"Guess who only has one lecture today. At 1."

Woohyun snorted in disbelief and cried internally at his schedule. For Mondays (the worst day of the week by the way), he had to be at the school at 9 AM and the last lecture started at 6 PM. By the time he made his way home, it was already 8. Thank god it's not winter yet...

- "haha funny."

- "if you're so free then come to uni."

- "Wow. Are you asking me to come just for you?"

At this, Woohyun really snorted. 

- "who said it's for you?"

"You can't lie to me Woohyun-ah. Good try."

- "If you're nice then I'll come by. maybe."

A smile stretched across his face and before Woohyun could control it he let out a laugh under his breath. His pulse raced and he felt awake finally. There was always a thrill that came with talking with Howon and he didn't realize until now that his cheeks had colored. It's cold outside, that's why.

As he stepped off the bus, Woohyun looked around at the near-empty campus. Only a few students were milling around before class started (who the hell would pick a class at 9 AM on a Monday anyways?). He headed towards the lecture hall and looked for anyone he recognized. His eyes flitted across a few classmates that he met through a 3rd year architecture course. Where was Sungjong?

He flicked through his phone and texted the 2nd year life science student.

- "kid where are you"

"i'm on my way. and i'm not a kid"

- "*hyung"

That little brat.

- "don't tell me you're gonna be late to lecture again"

"haha."

"lee sungjong did you even get on the bus yet"

"holy chill out yeah i did calm down jesus"

Woohyun resisted the urge to roll his eyes and situated himself comfortably at a desk. As the hall filled up with other students, he took out his phone and clicked on a chat thread: "purple monster".

In the corner of his eye he saw a familiar figure clad in an army green coat make its way to where he was sitting. Right as Sungjong sat down, the professor began her lesson of the day. Woohyun flicked the younger's forehead who just huffed in annoyance. 

Within 20 minutes, Woohyun couldn't put his focus on the lecture anymore and he took out his phone. 

- "I'm bored."

After a few minutes, he felt a buzz.

- "Lecture? Ha."

"shut up..."

"What's the subject?"

"astronomy. about stars and seasons and fun ."

- "oh good luck. apparently the class average for the first test was a 38%. not even kidding."

Woohyun's eyes widened at the number. What the hell?

- "wait are you ing with me right now"

"Nope I took it last year. People say it's an intro course but that's the biggest lie ever"

- "."

- "Haha don't worry you'll be fine"

- "If you have questions or whatever i can help?"

- "wait are you really offering?"

- "Yeah? Also kinda forgot to mention that i'm a physics major"

- "what the"

- "HOWON"

- "Surprise!"

- ":D"

"ok you're coming to school"

- "and you're gonna teach me everything :)"

"Wow ok you're welcome. I have to get out of bed though"

"fine i'll buy you coffee"

"Deal."

Sungjong peered over curiously over what Woohyun was occupying himself with and immediately grinned when he saw a glimpse of his screen.

"Hyung."

"...Yeah? Wait why are you looking at my screen-"

Woohyun threw his phone immediately back into his bag and glanced at Sungjong nervously. If there was anything the brat was good at, it was making his life hard for his own amusement. 

"So... who's this 'purple monster' of yours?"

 

a/n: 

:'))) sorry for the late update ahahaaha school is just...yeah...

about the astronomy 38% thing yep it's tru and i'm taking it so i'm ed kinda xD

anyways i hope you guys liked this chapter! the next one should have more wooya interactions...i think? dud legit i'm writing this with no plan. no direction. it's just happening ._.