Ch. 3

Smoke

lel i shud finish this it's dragging on so long

---

The clock struck 9 PM and a dim light filtered itself through the blinds of Howon's apartment, casting faint bars across the hardwood floor. The only light on in the apartment came from the little lamp on the end-table as two people sat next to each other on the ground, watching a movie intently. There was no popcorn or soda, but instead a bag of jumbo marshmallows was placed in between their bodies - it was the only thing Howon had to snack on that wasn't remotely healthy and his guest didn't seem to mind.

Speaking about his guest, Woohyun never stopped asking him questions, even during the movie (of course it'd be Mean Girls come on) that he had randomly picked. It wasn't annoying, but definitely strange. He wouldn't say he's a very interesting person out of the other 7 billion people on this world, but Woohyun didn't think so apparently

"When's your birthday?"

"If you had to pick a superpower, what would it be and why?"

"Favorite food?"

He tried to answer every question thrown at him, elaborating more than usual and feeling comfortable in the moment. In turn, he'd ask Woohyun the same question back and learn a little more about the man. By his gut instinct and excellent people reading skills, Howon knew Woohyun's shy and awkward nature hid something, something else. 

From just throwing the questions back for fun, he became genuinely curious. Who really was Woohyun? 

"You? What's your favorite color? And why."

Woohyun mentally made a note in his mind and labeled it as "Facts about Howon", before answering.

"Easy answer, red. Or black."

"Well, is there a hard answer?"

"Oh. I actually don't like any color specifically. I guess you could say I see colors in combinations? Just not alone. It's like feeling different emotions or feelings at the same time. You can feel happy and sad at the same time, and it's called melancholy. Colors are the same thing. Navy blue and gold paired together leaves a feeling, or a certain connotation in your mind. It's not navy blue and gold separately, but them as one entity. Let's say, with red, there are different combinations. A deep wine red and gold is a completely different thing compared to the same red paired with mint. I'm boring you aren't I?"

"Do I look bored to you?" Howon teased, turning his head and staring intently at Woohyun and making the other regret asking in the first place.

"Ah- no, no...?"

"Continue? Please." The side of his lips quirked up and he casually shifted his position so he faced Woohyun side more, knees crossed and brushing the other's outer thigh. 

The small action made the other man freeze, eyes casted down into his lap, lips parted as if he plans on continuing his rant on color combination. 

"Woohyun-ah,"

, that was not supposed to come out.

Woohyun's eyes widened and he lifted his head, waiting for the other to continue as well as gawking slightly at how good his name sounded coming from Howon again. This time, informally, as if they've known each other for longer than just a day.

"Can I call you that?" Howon held an unknown breath and breathed out when the other smiled and nodded softly.

"Yeah...it's ok. I mean, we're around the same age anyways?" Woohyun paused for a bit before whispering something almost inaudible by Howon's sharp ears.

"Howon..."

He chuckled and resisted patting Woohyun's head,  seeing how cute he became within seconds.

"Anything you like, Woohyun-ah. Just not some nickname like purple monster or something."

A bright laugh escaped Woohyun's chest and filled the little apartment with something Howon wish would stay. If he could exaggerate a little bit, it was like glitter. Not that kesha said hi or anything, but Woohyun's voice brought something brighter to the darkest corners of his humble abode. 

"You're staring," he muttered, but loud enough for Howon to catch.

Oh how the tables have turned.

Howon rested his head on the palm of a hand and kept staring, fully aware of what he was doing. 

Or not.

Woohyun tried to return the look but realized it was futile (he would never win, probably), so he instead focused on the details of the other man's features. In the flickering light from the television screen that luminated half of Howon's face, Woohyun focused on looking anywhere else but his eyes. From his bushy eyebrows that slanted downward to the hard lines of his jaw to the collarbone that peeked out of his purple cable-knit sweather.

He was definitely attractive in Woohyun's books, and no doubt in many other's as well. 

From the other side, Howon kept his intent staring contest up only briefly, before traveling to the other parts of Woohyun's face that he would never admit had started something inside of him.

He knew the feeling well and ignored the warning signs, continuing to indulge in the man he had just met a day ago. He had a sharp nose, Howon noticed from the first time he had saw him, and thick lips (which he couldn't help but admire as he was leading the half conscious body through his doorstep) that stretch into the most beautiful smile he's probably ever seen. 

Yep.

Bluntly speaking, he was ed. 

Maybe it was not the best idea to let this stranger into his house. But no, Woohyun was no stranger to him anymore, and he'd be lying if he said he didn't like the company. It wasn't usual for him to stick his nose into someone else's business, but this time was an exception. He wasn't going to ask any time soon why Woohyun had been in such a bad state the night before, but one day, he hopes to find out more. 

Suddenly, a shrill ringtone sounded through the kitchen and to where Woohyun and Howon were sitting. Panicking slightly, Woohyun abruptly stood up and ran towards the source of the sound, locating his phone on the counter. He looked at the number and quickly received the call, leaving Howon confused about the situation but hoping it was nothing serious.

11 missed calls. 10 text messages.

"Howon-ssi...ah no. Howon, I should go now. My roommate just called and he doesn't know where I am or anything, so he got pretty worried."

"Don't worry about it. I'll drive you back. It's late and I don't want you taking public transportation home."

Woohyun felt a slight fuzzy warmth starting to bloom in the corners of his chest, and smiled gratefully at the other.

Howon picked up his keys while Woohyun finished putting on his jacket, and they were out of the apartment within a minute. It wasn't until they were walking towards the car that Woohyun had noticed he was still wearing the purple dinosaur shirt and borrowed sweats. Well, too late now?

The ride to Woohyun's shared apartment was a rather quiet one, but not uncomfortable to either of them. With the radio turned low, it created a rather calming atmosphere in contrast to the speed at which they made it into the car. 

To be honest, with no exaggerations, Howon was a remarkable driver. In the darkness, Woohyun glanced at his profile a couple of times nondiscretely and didn't know what has come over him.

But as long as it was concerned, everything was good at the moment.

Thoughts of his past didn't invade his mind and neither has a particular person either, and Woohyun found that to be a giant relief. It was just him and Howon in his car, driving together at 10 PM, after a strange slew of events that had brought them together, somehow.

When they arrived, Howon walked Woohyun to the door of the apartment (which was very date-like in Woohyun's opinion) and they chatted for a little bit more, before the door swung open and a guy named Dongwoo with super bright teeth cried in relief at his "guest's" arrival. 

Before Woohyun went inside, Howon didn't forget to ask for his phone and then saved his number into his contact list. A minute after the man was gone, Woohyun changed his name to "purple monster" and grinned at nothing in particular. He laid on his bed and unconsciously grabbed at the hem of his borrowed shirt, feeling the worn and softened fabric beneath his fingers. 

It brought a kind of comfort to him that he didn't know existed and for the first time in a long time, Woohyun had no thoughts about his old lover after the lights have turned off.

Now, he's just curled up on his side. Falling asleep to the fading smell of something familiar, masculine, and the woods.

-

a/n:

lol FINALLY OK IM SO DONE

AYEEEEEEEE DONE THIS THING IS DONE!

C: but anyways i hope it was fun reading? 

(on a sadder note D: i heard about the stuff Woohyun's going thru and srsly idk what to even say.

:( stay strong bby and take lots of rest! inspirits will forever support you, so you can lean on us, even for a little bit!)