Ch. 4

Smoke

aye hi here's something random lol jk it's not hahahhah

-

Woohyun thumbed the edge of his rilakkuma mug and stared at the piece of blueberry muffin sitting on a plate, deep in thought. The clock showed 11 PM and the ticks echoed through his apartment, the only sound he needed to drown out at the moment. His coffee had already gone cold but he still sipped at it tentatively as if it would burn his tongue. 

Still staring at the muffin with unfocused eyes, Woohyun's mind wandered from purple blankets to Howon, and then to a particular episode of Boys Over Flowers he watched and burned into his memory from the sheer cliche overload. Or rather, it wasn't cliche because it was the mother of all cliches - so it was original

He pulled out his phone and decided to procrastinate some more on sleep, even though he was tired enough to start spouting theories on how the universe was born. The later it became, the looser his thoughts ran. And the less he cared about his actions. 

He pulled up the new contact, saved under "purple monster", and thought for two seconds before deciding it was ok to start sending texts. Hey, why not? Wouldn't hurt to start a conversation. 

Right as he was about to send the typical "first text", he deleted the "Hey! It's Woohyun" and a lightbulb went off somewhere in his tired mind and he began typing furiously. Two sentences in, he erased everything and decided it was best to just stick with his original greeting. Gotta give off a slightly normal first impression at least.

A few minutes later, his phone buzzed on the wooden table and Woohyun jolted in surprise.

- hey, was not expecting a text from you. what's up?

"Um, the ceiling. I can't type that though," Woohyun mumbled to himself. 

- Hey, so um, I had this thought. Sorry it's kinda late and sorry if I start saying weird things. 

- So idk if you've watched BOF (if you haven't I will legit cry) and there was this part where Jandi and this other girl have a scene.

- Like the girl model person that Jihoo liked?

- Yeah anyways, so the model said to Jandi that good shoes take you to good places, right?

- Well, relationships are like a pair of shoes

- if you know what I mean?

Woohyun kept the breakneck speed at which his fingers were moving and prayed his thought would stay long enough for him to keep it.

- Like, it's like when you first get a pair of shoes and you don't know how they'll fit.

- Only after wearing them for a while will you know how comfortable they really are.

- And sometimes

- you grow out of them, just like how you can grow out of relationships.

- The shoes can seem to fit at first, but after walking a mile in them, they might give you blisters. You'll have to then decide to keep them, or throw them away.

- Leather shoes have to get broken in, but you don't know if it's a good shoe or not at first. So maybe

- it's like a committment thing? (Also like relationships)

- you gotta take good care of shoes or else they won't last long

- Ok that was super long...sorry

  

Woohyun breathed out finally and paused to look at the long blocks of text, hoping it wasn't too impulsive of him to start like this. 

A buzz.

- wow... I didn't expect that. that was kind of mindblowing in a way? 

- also yes I have watched BOF, along with the rest of the korean population (: don't worry woohyun-ah

Woohyun grinned as his phone continued to update with new messages.

- so if a good pair of shoes can take you to good places, then good relationships can do the same thing...right?

- idk if this fits in with your analogy. but good relationships allow you to grow and change with the other person, for the better. is it like that?

- also don't worry about it. it's really ok to text me this late and you're interesting to talk to

Woohyun squealed inside and felt a kick in his heartrate (and that was cheesy as hell). He tried to keep the feeling down and not get any of his hopes up, because Howon could just be really friendly?

Don't get ahead of yourself again Nam Woohyun. 

He stared a his phone and sighed, but he knew already that the seed of curiosity has already planted itself in his conscience. Either he has to start setting boundaries in his heart or it'd be too late, and he would fall into another endless pit of attachment. Be cautious?

it.

Woohyun felt as if an emotional gate has reopened itself and adrenalin rushed through his veins in concentrated doses, pulse quickening as he wrapped his mind around his final decision.

If he was going to get hurt from this arrangement, so be it. 

- you're not weirded out, right? 

He waited for a reply impatiently but also feared secretly what the other's answer would be; what if he really was put off by Woohyun's random outburst? He did kind of blow up a thought of his on a new friend (or aquaintance?), and even his closest buddies are sometimes caught off guard by his sudden "revelations". He looked up dramatically and prayed.

Dear great Jesus Buddah of social adeptness, please-

Buzz.

He sobbed inwardly but was met with an answer different from what he had expected.

- well, did you expect me to be?

- I think any normal person probably would...? but then again you're not exactly the most normal person out there

- kidding btw

- nam woohyun.

His laughter resounded through the apartment and brought him back to reality, but he knew it was just the beginning.

I'm kidding! Really... 

- mhm.

- but really trust me on this. you're not weird

- at least to me

Leaning back on his chair and blinking rapidly, Woohyun gaped at his phone. His lips parted and his breathing slowed, as if any extra movement would disturb his train of thought. The train that just went hundreds of miles per hour on rusted tracks and threatened to leave gravity behind because great Jesus Buddah of the holy mountains what the hell was that? 

Howon...

- yeah?

- you're a really nice person.

i know 

Woohyun rolled his eyes but a smile still graced his lips.

just like how you're really cute

- I'm not cute. No.

- mhm. whatever you say Woohyun-ah

He fumbled with his phone and tried to take in the situation. But really...

- Are you always like this?

He pressed the sent button before his brain registered the action, and regretted it instantly. That was not supposed to come out. Holy unicorns.

- like what? 

- hey, if what i say makes you uncomfortable ever, just straight up tell me ok?

- Woohyun-ah

Wait no! I didn't mean it like that wait wait wait

- Just, idk.

- This is so weird I'm sorry I'm just not used to peole saying that

that you're cute?

- I'm not just saying this for fun you know

A red flag was going up in Woohyun's mind at the moment and he immediately relocated away from his kitchen. He needed darkness for this, so he settled himself inside his room and left the lights off. 

- I know

- Howon?

yeah?

- Have you heard of the story about a black hole and a star?

no, is it sad? 

- Can you remind me to tell you about it some time?

anything you need Woohyun-ah

He settled into his covers and wrapped them around his body like a burrito, slowly becoming tired as the clock kept ticking and making its rounds. A last buzz sounded in the darkness

- sorry but i have to go now

- don't sleep too late ok? night

Woohyun closed his eyes and breathed evenly, slowly feeling the pull of exhaustion weigh down his body and letting him sink. 

 

Night, Howon.

 

-

a/n: uhhhhhh this was supposed to be done but UM JK? 

>_> i can't write the yoonmin fic rn cuz it's full of sad and i can't do sad at the moment... so wooya it is C:

ugh jesus this is legit gonna be a chaptered fic wtf help me pls :')

anyways thank u all for reading! :DD