Narrow Escape

Patient Zero: The Korean Pandemic

Kai doesn't know which crowd is more dangerous. The hormonal fanboys and fangirls charging towards them, or the walking corpses doing the same. Everything happens in an instant. "Get in the car!" Says Naeun. Getting in the driver's seat, she revs the engine.

 

"Wait! Tao is still over there!" Kai screams frantically. But the fans gather around Sica's car and create a solid barrier in between them.

 

"We won't make it there!" Sica sticks her arms out from the back seat and yanks Kai inside next to her. "Shut the door! Shut it!" she screams to Kai. The hands of rabid fans reach for the celebrities and prevent the door from closing.

 

"Hold on, I'm swerving to the shoulder!" Naeun says as she pumps the pedal and turns sharply right. Kai and Jessica tightly grasp on to their seats as the momentum throws the people off their car.

 

"There's still someone there!" Sica points to a boy in his mid- 20's still clinging to the car frame, his body dragging on the rough cement.

 

"UNNIE what do I do!!!!" Naeun approaches a car parked right in the middle of the shoulder, blocking their path.

 

"Floor it!" Kai says desperately. Naeun speeds up and grazes the side of the parked car and slips through.

 

"Jessica noona I'm you biggest faaan!" The fan says before the traction on his legs are too much and he finally lets go.

 

Kai immediately shuts the door. As they drive away from the commotion, Jessica and Kai look behind them and see the brutal carnage they escaped.

 

The zombies run onto the highway and attack the people by grabbing them and biting their skin. Some of them open car doors while others smash the windows of locked ones to reach people inside. The most surprising facet of these creatures is their speed.

 

"They're practically sprinting", Jessica said in a terrified whisper.

 

When people up the street see Sica's car whiz past on the shoulder in the opposite direction, they realize something is wrong. An SUV is the first to drive towards the shoulder. However, a smaller car tries driving past at the same moment. They collide and block the only exit from the freeway. Soon, the gridlocked drivers begin honking madly as they see the attacks down road. They ram their cars into others to coax a path. But when they realize that there is no way through by car, they start running on foot. Some are women holding their kids and some elderly couples trying to keep pace as not to get run over.

 

Sica, Kai and Naeun witness this behind them, the scene shrinking as they drive further. None of them can find anything to say. Kai pulls his arms toward his chest in a state of shock. Jessica is crouched over, hands over . Naeun drives the car off an exit onto a smaller roadway, which are completely deserted. After an hour of dry silence, Sica speaks up. "Naeun, when are we pulling over?"

 

"Not until we get far, far away from the swarm back there." Naeun says, her voice still unsteady. She ignores the traffic lights and speeds past every intersection. All the buildings and houses on the eerily silent road are abandoned.

 

"I guess the movies were wrong" Naeun speaks quietly. "I never knew zombies would move that fast".

 

"Or break car windows." Kai adds.

 

"Or open car windows!" Sica says, exasperated. "Do you think they could unlock bolted doors if they found the keys?"

 

"They're just as agile as living people are, by the looks of it." Kai says. "The only difference is that the biters don't feel pain. Did you see that one who smashed the glass with his palm? His skin was peeling off but it didn't stop him."

 

"Naeun, look." Sica looks at a tiny yellow logo on a building in the distance. "E-mart,** that's the safest place there'll be!"

 

They scoot their car into the building's above story lot and walk to the entrance. It's weird to see such a large store completely deserted. They park their car and walk to the entrance. The automatic doors don't work. Kai pushes on the doors and they pry open. He is careful to close them securely before he continuees. Inside the store, all the lights on the high white ceilings are on and everything electrical is functioning. "Ah, air conditioning!" Sica exclaims. The entire store seems empty. As they walk on the second floor, the only sounds they hear are their own footsteps on linoleum. The group passes the men's clothing section and head upstairs. On the third floor, they find a coffee shop and deli.

 

"God, I forgot how hungry I was." Naeun said, and gleamed in excitement.

 

Thirty minutes later, Naeun feasts on a bulgogi burger sitting at the food court chairs. Sica looks at her and chuckles. "You can never eat enough food, can you?"

 

"I confess my love." Naeun says good naturedly, talking with food in .

 

"A love big enough to confess to the world on We Got Married!" Jessica starts imitating Naeun. "Mmmm~ gogi here gogi there!" She pretends to push away with her hands as she says, "Yes Taeminie, I love you too but only if you buy me more food"


Naeun shoves her lightly. "Shut up, unnie. That Jeju-do food was darn good."

 

"When you said 'I like you too' while you were eating with him, I knew you were actually talking to the ribs."

 

"Shhh! That's a secret! Promise you won't tell?"

 

"How many other secrets have I kept for you? I'm gonna go wash up in the bathroom. You can make me some pork cutlet afterwards."

 

"Don't get into any trouble unnie!" Naeun calls, smiling.

 

Nearby, Kai is having fun at the coffee shop. "Naeun, look!" He shouted, holding firmly the top of a whirring machine, and supporting a cup underneath it. "I finally found out how they seal the top on bubble tea!" We takes the cup out from under the machine and shows it to Naeun.

 

"Does it melt the plastic around it?" she asks.

 

"No, the cellophane's sort of gluey and the machine just seals it." Kai explains.

 

"Make me some. My favorite flavor is strawberry."

 

"Gotcha. How much tapioca?"

 

"Half full. Put in a lot." Kai mixes the ingredients together and turns on the machine. He shows her the cup and Naeun's face lights up. "Gosh! I always wanted that many tapioca pearls in my drink, but I was always afraid to ask." She runs toward him to retrieve it.

 

"Ha, bon appetit." Kai says. "But watch out, the floor in front of me is kind of slip--" it was too late. Naeun's heels skid on the ground and she topples off balance. Kai catches her on time, supporting her securely by hooking his arms around her. Jessica comes out of the bathroom and sees the two in embrace.

 

Her chest starts beating wildly and her pupils dilate in fury. She approaches like an angry mother bear, slyphlike in her stride but terrifying in her elevated presence. Naeun barely has enough time to apologize to Kai before Jessica's talons rip her away from the boy and drag her to the lower floor of the building.

 


** Side note: To anyone who is wondering what "E-mart" is, it's the Korean supermarket version of a Costco, Wal-Mart, Petsmart, Best Buy, Macy's, Foot Locker, toy store, deli, bakery,  and multiple restaurants combined into one gargantuan building the size of multiple football fields with several stories. (I kid you not, middle school students go to this supermaket as a hang out place!)