From the Heavens

Patient Zero: The Korean Pandemic

Min throws her shoulder into the walker, and it backs off. Holding onto her bleeding neck, she crawls into a defunct freezer room. A walker tries to chase after her, but she kicks the metal door shut with her powerful legs, severing its arm. The door makes a tiny click sound, letting her know that it locked. The room is pitch black, and Min stays on the floor breathing deeply, holding in the flow of blood in her veins.

<:>

“Where’s Min?” Jessica says to Naeun and Jinyoung. She holds in tears as she sees the walkers coming outside and running to the cars, and she is forced to drive. Jinyoung and Naeun jump in the moving vehicle. Naeun collapses in the back seat of the car, putting a hand on her sore scalp. “They got her,” she says mournfully. “I’m so sorry, there were just so many of them…” She tries to relax her thumping heart, but the quietness only gives way to a stinging grief in her chest. Through the rear view mirror, Jinyoung sees Jessica’s face contorting, but she holds the tears in, and refuses to say anything.

<:>

In the first minute, Min shuts her ears to cover the sound of the terrifying walkers outside the door.  Luckily, it’s bolted shut. In the next ten minutes, the sounds are all gone; the walkers have quickly given up already. She lies still on the ground, feeling the sticky blood on her neck. “Am I going to die?” she repeats in her jumbled mind. She stays still, waiting for the nausea and unconsciousness to arrive. But it doesn’t happen. She feels the wound on her skin, and realizes that the bleeding has stopped. Gingerly touching the surface, she also realizes the cut wasn’t nearly as deep as it felt; it was just a comparatively large amount of blood loss. It was like how professional wrestlers snuck tiny blades in their hands and scraped it on their forehead to mimic serious injuries-- there was a lot of blood, but no real damage. She sits up in the darkness, but she doesn’t dare to get up for the fear of lurking walkers.

<:>

“Your got your hair stuck?” Jessica asks.

 

“Yes.” Naeun shrinks in her seat. “Wires sticking out of the wall.”

 

“How can Min be gone that fast?” Jessica’s voice breaks. She wipes her eyes to see the road.

 

Junghee follows behind Jessica in her Jeep. Luhan, Kyungsoo, Kai and Sehun sit silently, avoiding eye contact with Junghee. She is mourning silently at first, but soon, she is crying heavily. Trying to see through her blurry eyes, she sways on the road unintentionally and goes dangerously close to the steep drop off of the shoulder. Krystal looks at her nervously as she holds onto the ceiling grip.

 

“Junghee, I can drive for you, if you want.” Kyungsoo offers gently. She nods her head immediately and pulls over.

 

“She was the only person who ever loved me and my brother.” Junghee says. “How can it happen like this?”

<:>

Min doesn’t know how long she stayed in the dark freezer until she heard distinct footsteps down the corridor. They aren’t zombie footsteps; they are clacking of high heels. Min doesn’t know what to do. She was already separated from her group, and will probably not reach them again. The people outside were her only hope. She bangs on the door. The clacking outside stops immediately. “Is there somebody there?” A pleasant female voice rings through the walls. “Yes!” Min says sorely. “Please help!” The footsteps grow louder, and the person unlocks the door from the outside. A flood of light ambushes Min, and through the natural bokeh and spillng of light around the woman’s body, Min squints to see the face of an awfully pretty girl. She sees the portrait of Sera from the group Nine Muses smiling at her gently, the sun behind her illuminating her brown hair.

 

The two were both celebrities, so they didn’t need to introduce themselves. In the now empty store, Sera sits Min down in an empty isle. She soaks a towel in bottled water and gingerly cleans the blood off of Min’s neck. Meanwhile, more people come through the front door of the store. Her jaw drops as she sees the faces of Kim Hyuna and Chunji walking through the door. "Noona, what's taking you so long? Did you find any food?" Hyuna yells into the store. Chunji looks over the shelves and sees Min and Sera sitting down.

<:>

Jessica pulls over with Junghee on the side of the road. Krystal walks over to a pole with a flyer on it. The poster has a very recent date on it, with a Korean government insignia.

Civilian Protection Base

Located in Gangbuk-gu Seoul, Taepyung-gil Building 104

Bring with you any weapons and supplies

We have a military and ample fortification

Supplies needed for entry

"Guys, come look at this" Krystal says. They gather to the flyer, and everybody's hopes begin to rise.

<:>

Min sits in the passenger seat as Hyuna drives. "So how did you three... get to know each other?" Min asks.

"Suprisingly, we're related" says Chunji. "Family dinners, barbeques- all fun until Hyuna became a trainee at Cube. Then it was me, then Sera." Min can smell gunpowder from their shirts. They all look like they went through a rough patch, but sprang back rejuvenized.

"What happened to everyone? Everybody looks pretty weathered" Min says as she looks at Chunji's dirty and frayed t-shirt.

"We almost died" Hyuna says to Min. "We lost Chunji's older brother a few days ago."

"What? What happened?"

"There were ads everywhere for a civilian safe haven" Sera says. "They asked us to bring supplies so we could come in."

"We were gullible to do that, but we were desperate" Hyuna says.

"They tried to kill us" Chunji says. "They had chainsaws and rifles and everything, it was terrifying."

"Where were the flyers?" asks Min very nervously.

"Almost everywhere." says Hyuna.

<:>

"Gangbuk-gu isn't even that far from here, maybe an hour or so?" Sehun says.

"What about Min? We have to go back to the store and see if... she's still there" Jessica says agonizingly.

"It's on the way to Gangbuk-gu. We can stop by right now on the way" says Kai.

They voice their assent, and they speed off into the darkening horizon.