Only for the Rich

Patient Zero: The Korean Pandemic

They race down the road and quickly hit the interstate. As far as they can tell, the assailants aren't following them. Kai yells to the other car, "We're going to an old office building down the highway to pick up our friends." Hyuna nods.

<:>

Jinyoung lies down on the sticky carpet of the office. Everyone is sitting patiently, carefully avoiding a giant wet spot on the floor that looks like it will collapse if stepped on. Jessica paces the room. "There has to be some food or water in here" she says. Growls and footsteps echo beneath them. Walkers lurk in the basement, and the group barricaded the door to keep them from surfacing.

 

"Why were those biters still in the basement until now? Why didn't they come out earlier?" Jessica says. "There must be something to eat down there."

 

"Maybe they don't know how to open the door." Kyungsoo says restively, bouncing a rubber ball on the wall.

 

"No," says Naeun, thinking about the highway the first night of the infection. "We've seen them unlatching car doors before."

 

Kyungsoo flits around, growing nervous for Kai's return. It's been an hour since he left them.

 

"Maybe we should go down there." Jinyoung jokes. He gets up and presses the elevator button. To everyone's surprise, the elevator lights up, dinging and opening the silver doors. Corpses lie in the chamber, apparently sleeping on the floor. They slowly open their eyes and stand up.

 

Jinyoung sprints back, knocking Luhan over into the weak spot on the floor. His legs fall through, creating a giant hole in the floor. Luckily, he is able to get back up. Jessica takes her gun and shoots the zombies, but inevitably, she cuts several wires holding the elevator up. The elevator box tips to the side, throwing the zombies off balance. A corpse wearing a business suit leaps at Naeun, crashing into the wall. They almost fall into the hole, but Naeun sways back and crashes into the elevator button.

 

The empty elevator closes and descends into the basement. The zombies don't know how to use elevators, right? Jessica thinks. But based on how smart the zombies were before, she has a bad feeling.

 

The group crowds around the hole in the floor, watching the walkers below. As the elevator opens, light floods the room and the zombies walk toward it. The doors closes. Inevitably, a zombie presses the right button inside the elevator, and it opens on the first floor.

 

There are seven of them that come out of the elevator and attack-- that wouldn't have been so bad. But as Jessica and Kyungsoo attempt to shoot them down, a walker below presses the button for the elevator. In no time, eight more zombies are loose. Looking at the sheer number of zombies, the group does the smart thing. They all run out of the building, leaving all their things behind.

 

<:>

As Junghee pulls into the building parking lot, she sees everyone frantically running out the door. "Oh my god, what is happening in there?" she says to herself.

 

Chunji opens the door to the car.  Krystal and the Exo boys leap in. The rest squeeze into Junghee's Jeep. The walkers sprint in a throng toward them, but Hyuna catches a glimpse of something more dangerous in her mirror.

 

Krystal sees them too. Two black cars are whizzing down the highway behind them. She squints and sees henchmen holding large and intimidating weapons. As the villains advance, they shoot explosives toward the cars. A pod falls near the Jeep, releasing smoke. It explodes and the Jeep rumbles violently. As the smoke clears, they realize that the back door of the car has been blown open. Naeun and Jinyoung, who sat in the back seat, have disappeared. They fell off the vehicle and now lie on the road behind them.

 

The men take them, and they speed back toward the shelter. Junghee and Hyuna stop their cars. "Why did they take them?" Junghee screams.

 

"It's a trap. They want us to come back to the shelter so they can kill us all. Jessica, get out." Hyuna forces Jessica out of the Jeep as she gets in. "We need to go back." Hyuna says to Junghee. "The rest can stay here."

 

<:>

 

Naeun and Jinyoung are taken to the roof of the building. They are forced to wear black uniforms. The men roughly force Naeun and Jinyoung to hold unloaded guns and to point them at the ground. A woman in thick armor says to them gruffly, "Point the gun at the people and stay still. If you try to run away, you will be shot on the spot." This is bizarre. Naeun thinks. What do they want from us?

 

Two men, dressed in civilian clothes, lay down under Naeun and Jinyoung, crouching vulnerably under them. "We'll be watching from up there." The woman points to an upper window of the building.

 

<:>

 

Hyuna and Junghee park their car in the forest and stealthily creep toward the shelter on foot. "STOP!" Junghee says suddenly and guards Hyuna from walking further. "That's a trip-wire." She says, pointing at a glimmering string at waist-height.

 

"It's nearly dusk," Hyuna says admiringly. "How the heck did you see that?"

 

"I lived in a bad neighborhood for most my life." Junghee smiles wryly. "I've learned to spot things to keep me alive."

 

They near the building, and they hide under forest brush to avoid being seen. They immediatly spot the situation on the roof. Two armed men are about to shoot their friends, execution style. Hyuna shoots one of the attackers in the foot. He collapses, and his executioner friend starts to shake.  "Something isn't right." Hyuna opines. "Why haven't they shot yet?"

 

<:>

 

NO! JINYOUNG! Naeun screams internally and struggles to keep the gun pointing at the fake victims. She takes a quick glance at the evil woman from the upper level. She still has a gun pointed at them, but the evil woman is glancing around, apparently looking for the source of Jinyoung's bullet.

 

<:>

 

Hyuna follows Naeun's glance upwards and sees the woman with a long-distance gun pointed at the roof. Something clicks in her mind. "This is a trap!" Hyuna exclaims. "Why else would they be executing Naeun and Jinyoung in broad view? Why would they risk getting shot?"

 

Junghee looks at the assailant in closer detail. She see's Naeun's silky hair peeking out from under the mask. "The shooters are Naeun and Jinyoung?"

 

"Yeah, and they're being forced by that person up there." Hyuna points to the women above them.

 

"What's our plan?" Junghee asks. Hyuna takes a deep breath and aims her gun toward the woman. "On the count of three. One... Two... Three!" She shoots the woman in the chest. She is thrown back into the building. Hyuna takes Junghee's hand leaps toward the entrance of the place.

 

Hyuna slams the glass door open. Inside is quite possibly the most extravagent interior they have ever seen in their lives. A gold chandelier hangs above them, throwing off flecks of light that embroider leather chairs and expensive wines. Hyuna meets eyes with a familiar face.

 

"Chairmen Hong?" She asks in disbelief. It is the CEO of Cube Entertainment, lounging in eternal paradise. "You were in this too?!" 

 

"Ah, Hyuna." He says, embarrassed and taken aback. She spots the chairman of SM Entertainment and the CEO of SK Corporation twisting around to see the commotion.

 

"What- what is this?" Hyuna spits. "We almost died out there and your people almost killed our friends!"

 

"Hyuna," Hong speaks in a paternal affectation. "I'm so sorry... I don't have anything to do with security."

 

Hyuna is in shock. "You mean you don't know about your 'security' murdering people for their supplies? Is that how they run things here?"

 

"Hyuna," he says solemnly. "This... this will all be over soon-"

 

Hyuna cuts him off and drags him up the stairs, sweeping past stunned security officials. She kicks open the door to the roof. "Jinyoung! Naeun!" Junghee hugs the two uncharacteristically. They help get the black suits off of them. Jinyoung hops on one foot, swaying in pain from the bullet wound. "I'm so sorry I shot you." Hyuna says, helping him toward the door.

 

"It's fine," he says. "This would've fooled me too." Men in armor show up with guns at the roof. Hong puts up his hand. "Don't shoot; they're with me." Hong says.

 

Hyuna is fuming. "Get him medical attention. You at least have doctors here, no?"

 

"No... I'm so sorry. This whole thing, it was only supposed to last a few days... nothing like this." Hong says apologetically.

 

"This is disgusting." Hyuna scathes as they walk out the door. Hong disappears for a second but shows up with a watermelon. "You must be hungry. Here take this watermelon, and um... feel better." Hong says untactfully. He drops it in Junghee's arms, who unwittingly holds it. 

 

Hong casts his farewells and the iron gate slams behind them. The guards look at them reproachfully as they hobble away. Junghee doesn't know if she should bother carrying the watermelon, but she is hungry. Soon, Jinyoung spots the red Jeep at the end of the forest trail. Jinyoung tries to keep positive and says lightheartedly, "I bet I can hop all the way there on my own."

 

Whether it be her heartbeat throbbing in Hyuna's head, or the unwieldy watermelon that made Junghee dizzy in the blazing hot night, they were distracted until it was too late.

 

"WAIT, STOP--" Hyuna screams. Jinyoung sets off the wire. In a huge flash, the ground beneath Jinyoung explodes, throwing Junghee, Hyuna and Naeun to the ground. A plume of smoke rises, clouding the air and sparing the three the view of the scene. Stepping over the watermelon that splattered over the grass, they hold on to each other as they shield their eyes and run to the car.