chapter IX | Go back to her when I'm gone, a fresh beginning...or not

Loving an Unknown

 

“Hyung!”

             Jinki was sitting on a bench just outside the operation theatre. He leaned forwards with his elbows on his knees as he clutched on his phone. He looked up when he heard Taemin’s voice echoing along the corridor. “What happened??” Taemin panted heavily.

             “I got the call while I was on the way to work. It was a hit and run, they are still finding the driver.” Jinki said, running a hand through his hand. “The police said the witnesses were saying dad was drunk walking.”

             Taemin’s brows furrowed as he sat himself down on the bench. “How long has he been inside?” he asked.

             “It’s been awhile.” The older one answered.

             Jinki looked at the ground as though something was going to come out of it. His mind was in a mess, his head was spinning and suddenly he remembered what their father told him two days ago.

 

“Jinki,” Jaehyun called when he saw Jinki walking past his room.

             His son raised a brow, coming into his room as he gestured for him to. “Taemin refused to go back to your mum’s.” He said. “But Jinki, if something were to happen to me, I hope both of you could go back to her.”

             Jinki frowned, “Why are you saying this?”

             “Just listen to me,” Jaehyun emphasized as he frowned, and Jinki noticed the wrinkles on his face. “Promise me that no matter what, if I’m no longer around, go back to your mum’s.”

             “But, why?” Jinki couldn’t understand. After all the hurting the woman brought to them, why?

             “Because she’s your mother, it’s just that simple. You don’t have to have a very good reason to go back to who gave birth to you.”

             Jaehyun sighed, “Please, Jinki.”

             The frown on Jinki’s brows didn’t go away, he nodded in hesitant.

 

The same frown appeared on Jinki’s brows, please dad; don’t let anything happen to you.

             When the doctor came out from the operation theatre, Jinki watched as Taemin went up to him. Please dad, let the doctor say you’re fine.

             Jinki didn’t hear what the doctor said, but when the doctor patted on Taemin’s shoulder after his younger brother hung his head low, he roughly got an idea of the outcome.

             Dad…why…

             The doctor’s words came as a big blow to Taemin as he stood rooted to the same spot for minutes. “I’m sorry, we tried our best.

              The older one stood up, swallowing the lump in his throat. He was close to tears. Jinki walked over to Taemin, with a hand behind Taemin’s head, Jinki let his younger brother leaned on his shoulder.

             Jinki closed his eyes, he could feel Taemin’s shivering and how he was holding back his tears.

             “Hyung…” Taemin said into Jinki’s ear, “Hyung…”

             Jinki nodded his head; he knew what Taemin was trying to say. He sighed, patting on Taemin’s back with his other hand as he grinded his teeth back and forth with tears silently filled his eyes.

 

 

Minyoung ran up the old and worn-out stairs as quickly as she could. The moment she got Taemin’s text, she doesn’t care if Taemin didn’t tell her things, she came right away. She experienced losing her beloved parents before, she knew how it’s like to be scared and lonely; and so she wanted to be there for her lover.

              She pounded on the door that has stains of writing and paint. When Jinki opened the door, she bowed immediately. “Hi, my name is Choi Minyoung. I’m here for Taemin.” she panted.

              Jinki gave her a small smile, “Lee Jinki,” he said as he let her in. “Taemin’s girlfriend?”

              Minyoung nodded shyly as she looked around. “Taemin’s in his room.” She heard his brother said and she quickly went towards the room she was once in.

              “Taemin?” She breathed, entering the room with cautious. It was late at night now and the lights in the room weren’t on. The only source of light was the moonlight coming in from the opened-window. She heard a soft sniff. “Taemin…”

             She found him on the ground, just beside his bed. He was lying on his side and curling himself up. The moonlight reflects on the tears spilling from his eyes, making it extra obvious that he was in pain.

             “Taemin…” she called again, putting her bag on his bed and getting down on the ground. She sighed, “Come here, Taem.” And she gestured for him to move his head on her lap.

              Taemin sniffed, closing his eyes and swallowing hard. Minyoung looked at him, putting his long hair behind his ear and touching his warm face. “I’m here with you, don’t be scare.” She hushed.

              His brows furrowed when he felt the sadness taking over his body again.

             The moon shined brightly on that peaceful night, not even the crickets were there to disturb the silence; and the only sound in that room was Taemin’s sniffing.

 

 

The next moment when Taemin had his eyes opened, the sky had already brightened. He blinked, feeling the puffiness in his eyes. Sighing, he looked up and saw Minyoung leaning her head against the wall with her eyes closed,

             Taemin got up before carrying Minyoung up to his bed so that she could sleep better. A small smile appeared on his face as he touched her thighs. “Must be hard on you,” he whispered, leaning in and giving her a kiss on her forehead.

             He stretched his limbs as he walked out of his room. The house was quiet, and he was surprised that his dad’s snoring sounded so good back then. He walked past Jinki’s room, before popping his head in to see if he was home. He wasn’t.

             Taemin walked to the kitchen.

 

“Dad! What are you doing??”

             Taemin immediately went into the kitchen after coming back from school. Thick smoke was coming out from the pot and the burnt smell lingered in the air.

             “Can’t you see I'm trying to cook??” Jaehyun flinched when the water started boiling in the pot.

             “Please, oh my god. You’re burning the house down. Just go outside and wait. I’ll cook.” Taemin said, taking over the spatula from his dad. “Hurry up, I’m starving.” Jaehyun said, walking over to the fridge and taking out a can of beer.

 

Taemin opened the fridge door; there were still many cans of beer inside. He swallowed, taking out one can and holding it in his hand. The coldness of the can…it directly reflects how he felt right now.

             He walked to Jaehyun’s room. When was the last time I came in and looked around? He walked to the shelf on the wall and placed the can of beer on it as he looked through the photo frames. He was surprised that all of the photos were photos of Jinki and him when they were young.

             One of the photos caught his eyes; it was a photo of the three of them with both Jinki and him on the either sides of Jaehyun’s shoulder. “Dad…” Taemin muttered under his breath, running his thumb over Jaehyun’s face in the photo.

 

The moment Taemin stepped into his room, a hand came landing on his face with a loud slap. Taemin flinched.

             “Aren’t you working? Why isn’t there money in your room?” Jaehyun shouted and Taemin stared at him, realizing that he was drunk again. “I don’t have money.” Taemin calmly replied, walking past him and throwing his bag on the bed.

 

Taemin walked back into his room. He won’t mind if there’s a hand slapping him again whenever he comes in. He won’t mind at all.

              I miss you, dad.

             “Hey…” He heard Minyoung’s voice and he went over, getting into the bed with her. “Hey.” Taemin gave her a small smile.

             “Are you okay?” She asked, lying on his shoulder and giving him a kiss on his arm.

             Taemin blinked, he wasn’t sure if he’s okay, yet. “I miss him, Minyoung.” He breathed.

             Minyoung caressed Taemin’s hand that was on her shoulder, “I miss my parents too.” She said. “But it is okay, they will be watching over us. We will be fine.”

             Taemin closed his eyes as he leaned in to sniff the top of Minyoung’s head. “Hmm,” he answered.

             You will be watching over us; right, father?

 

 

When Taemin heard the creaking sound of the front door, his eyes fluttered open. “Minyoung?” he woke the girl up in his arms when he caught a glimpse of the time on the wall clock.

             “It’s time to get up,” he said softly for the groaning girl as Minyoung turned her back on him. Taemin shook his head, giving her a kiss on her head and getting off the bed.

             “Hyung,” he opened his door and saw Jinki going into his room. “Oh, Taemin.”

             “Where did you go?” Taemin asked.

             “This,” Jinki held up a greyish white ceramic pot. “Father’s ashes.”

             Just then, Minyoung woke up and got off the bed, she went over to Taemin and stood beside him while tidying her hair. “Jinki oppa,” she greeted with a shy smile. Jinki smiled.

             “Taemin,” Jinki diverted his attention to his younger brother. “Let’s go back to mum’s side, shall we?”

             Taemin blinked, he turned to Minyoung and they both stared at each other for a while before he turned back to his hyung. “Did I hear correctly?”

             “Taemin…”

             “Hyung, what are you saying?” Taemin questioned with a frown. “Why are you saying this now?”

             “Please, Taemin, let’s take a walk outside and hear me out, okay?” Jinki sighed. “Sorry, Minyoung, I’m taking Taemin for a bit.”

             Minyoung nodded, giving him an assuring smile.

 

 

Taemin and Jinki had walked a very long way from home. None of them speak a word; they just kept walking until they reached the seaside.

             “Why here?” Taemin asked when Jinki hopped onto the large rock that extended out into the sea.  “Don’t you remember? Dad said he first met mum here.” Jinki sighed, closing his eyes and taking in deep breaths and exhaled sharply. “The sound…the smell of sea…”

             “It’s just like yesterday when we came here for picnic eleven years ago.” The older one said, staring down at the ceramic pot. “I bet dad wants to come back here, to where he first met his wife.”

             Taemin stared at his brother and at the ceramic pot. Will their father really want to come back here? Why? Taemin don’t understand. Why doesn’t anyone hate that woman for leaving?

             “Two days ago, dad told me to go back to mum’s if…if he’s no longer around.” Jinki breathed. It was as if Jaehyun knows what will happen to him that he would say that to Jinki. “Why?” Taemin questioned. “I don’t understand. Why didn’t father hate her for leaving? And you, I thought you were asking me if I would go back, and I thought you said you’re contented with what you’ve now?” Taemin recalled, turning to face his brother who still won’t look at him.

              “Taemin…let’s just go back. I know you don’t like her, but let’s try.” The older one muttered under his breath. “For father…it was his last words after all.”

             The long-haired lad his dried lips, diverting his vision to the waves that were hitting the shore. He nodded in silence.

             Jinki then carefully removed the lid of the pot. He took a glance at Taemin before grabbing his hand to hold the pot together. “Let’s do this together.” He muttered under his breath and the both of them turned the pot upside down. The ashes falls out of the pot and gone to the direction of the wind.

             Taemin felt tears gathering at the back of his eyes and Jinki looked away as his eyes turned red.

             This is goodbye then.

 

 

When the brothers reached home, Minyoung was in the kitchen trying to cook up something. She flinched when the door opened, revealing the brothers.

             “Are you cooking?” Jinki asked, walking into the kitchen. “Yup, it will be done soon. Do wait for a little while more.” She smiled and Taemin watched her from afar.

             Jinki returned a smile, walking out of the kitchen after grabbing two cans of drink from the fridge. He handed one to Taemin and gave him a look that the younger one couldn’t comprehend. “What?” Taemin chuckled.

             “She’s a nice girl,” Jinki said. “Of course, she’s my childhood crush.” Taemin replied, a sweet smile forming on his lips.

             “About mum’s side…I’ll make an appointment with her and I’ll let you know?” The older one asked, and Taemin nodded absent-mindedly.

             “Food’s ready!” Minyoung said aloud as she laid the last plate of dish on the table.

             Jinki and Taemin walked into the kitchen, “Not bad, Minyoung.” Taemin laughed, pulling out a chair to sit.

             “Wow.” Jinki’s eyes widen at the dishes. It has been a decade since a female cooked for the brothers. It’s been so long since they had a proper home cooked meal. (Other than Jinki’s cooking)

             “I’m going to eat!” The brothers cheered loudly like kids and it definitely puts Minyoung in good mood to see them eating so happily.

 

 

“Thanks for the food, you cooked quite well.” Taemin said, tightening his grip on Minyoung’s hand as he walked her home.

             “My brother cooks better.” Minyoung said with a sigh. “Well, I agreed.” Taemin nodded as he remembered the time he ate at her house.

             “Hey!” She nudged him on his arm before wrapping her hands around it, pulling both of them closer. “How are you feeling?”

             “Fresh,” Taemin said. “I feel like everything has start anew.” And his eyes landed on the hair salon further down the street. “Maybe I should change my hairstyle too.”

             Minyoung raised a brow when Taemin pulled her into the salon with a wide smile.

             Snipping his long hair away and dyeing a new colour, Taemin looked like a changed person with short brown hair. Minyoung was so impressed by his new hair that she has been staring at him since they came out of the salon. “You looked different.” She smiled widely, ruffling Taemin’s new hair. “And it’s so soft after treatment!” She squealed.

             With his hand around Minyoung’s waist, Taemin gave a kiss on her temple. “Do I still look good?” Taemin chuckled.

             “You’re always good-looking to me.” Minyoung giggled, giving him a peck on his cheek.

 

After the both of them alighted from the bus, they walked hand in hand until they reached the playground that they first met. “Do you remember here?” Taemin asked.

             Minyoung’s face broke into a smile, remembering Taemin’s mushroom hair, “Of course, how can one forget your mushroom hair?” Taemin laughed.

             “To think both of us fell in love at such a young age.” He said, pulling Minyoung closer to him as they continued walking to Minyoung’s house.

             “Anyway, are you going school with Minho hyung tomorrow?” Taemin asked when the both of them turned the corner. “Nah, he doesn’t have lessons tomorrow, only trainings in the evening.”

             “Then I’ll fetch you tomorrow morning? Let’s go to school together.” Taemin turned to her with a smile, “Okay!” his girlfriend cheerfully replied.

             When the both of them reached Minyoung’s house, Taemin pulled Minyoung towards his body by her waist, giving her a hug. “Thank you for coming yesterday night. Thank you for being there for me.” He said in her ear. “I love you, Minyoung.”

             She blushed, closing her eyes and wrapping her arms around Taemin’s waist.

             “I love you too, Taemin.”

 

 

Taemin didn’t expect this to happen.

             After leaving Minyoung’s area, a car waited by the road for him and honked for him when he appeared. Jinki was in the car as well.

             “What is this?” He asked his older brother who was sitting beside him, and the driver was a chauffeur from Park Hyojin’s. Jinki didn’t respond, and Taemin turned his head to face him.

             “Hyung? Didn’t you say you’re going to make appointment and let me know? What is this now?” Taemin asked again.

             Jinki swallowed, he tilted his head and looked out of the window. “Your new haircut is nice, Taemin.”

             The younger one sneered, is that all you want to answer me, hyung?

             The car journey was quiet and the brothers didn’t look at each other. When it reached a certain mansion, someone opened the door for them.

             “Welcome home, young masters. My name is Lee Heehae, the head butler of the house.” A middle-aged guy introduced himself and Taemin thought that he looked alike with someone.

             “Joon…” Taemin muttered as he got out from the car. “Lee Joon? He’s my son.” The butler answered with a smile.

             Taemin nodded, and he turned to glance at Jinki who avoided his stare.

             When the both of them walked through the front door that looked like it could accommodate a family of giraffes, Taemin gasped at the large mansion. It has been so long since he saw something so majestic.

             He looked up; the roof was peaked, slanting down at an angle. The French windows had royal red curtains hanging on the other side of them, drawn half way. The black and white linoleum floor of the entrance glowed, and Taemin thought that someone probably just cleaned it.

             Stairs lay across the room, climbing toward the ceiling. Doorway was seen on either side of the room, one towards the kitchen and another towards the living room. The walls were a maroon red with silver brush swipes crossing over it, creating a shimmer effect.

             Pounding came from the upstairs and the two brothers looked up. Almost immediately, Taemin looked away with a small smirk, and Jinki saw it. The older one sighed.

             Hyojin smiled.