chapter III | He's making her hate him, and the glass bottle

Loving an Unknown

 

It definitely wasn’t safe for a girl to be alone in this creepy building with broken lights, creaky floor and leaking ceilings, but Minyoung doesn’t care. She doesn’t care even though Key had warned her about it, about things she should be aware of, and that if Taemin wasn’t home, she has to leave right away.

             Leave? No way, she’s here already, why would she just leave?

             

“You know something don’t you?” Minyoung asked when they were walking out of school.

             “I thought you said I don’t know anything,” Key answered.

             “You sounded like you know something.” She continued, hugging her bag as tightly as possible for reasons she doesn’t know.

             “I do,” Key paused, “I knew Taemin since young, I can tell you whatever you need to know, but—”

              “What?” She interrupted his words and stopped walking but Key didn’t stop for her. She stared at his back while clenching her fists. Key sighed, he stopped slightly further down. “You’ll need to try hard, Minyoung, Taemin changed. He wasn’t the same anymore. He locked himself up and builds walls around him. He rejects anyone who tried getting close to him. Even though my brother and I have been friends with him way before we know the rest of the world, somehow, somewhere along the line when s happened, he changed.”

 

“Lee Taemin,” Minyoung said under her breath.

             She looked around for a door bell to ring, but she couldn’t find any. Instead, she noticed that the walls were dirty, either with writings or stains of paint. She stood there for a minute, taking in deep breaths to prepare herself. She doesn’t know what she was preparing for but knocking on the door seemed like a big challenge to her.

             I can do this, she thought. And when she decided to put her fist out, the door was opened.

             A certain long-haired lad was wearing a white tank top with black skinny jeans, hand carrying a bag of garbage and staring at her with widen eyes. “Why are you here?”

             Minyoung remained still, she clenched on the hem of her skirt nervously until Taemin heard some noises coming from the stairs. “Come in, quick.” He quietly said and pulled her by her arm.

               “Do you think Lee Jaehyun’s son will be at home today? I hope not, he’s hard to deal with.

               “LEE JAEHYUN, OPEN UP!

               Taemin frowned before realizing that he was pressing Minyoung against the door with his body to hear the commotion outside. Instantly, he stepped back.

               “Why are you here?” He asked low, scratching the back of his head in awkwardness when Minyoung just stood there blinking non-stop at their interaction. No one other than her brother had ever leaned so close to her.

               “I…I came to see you.” She answered, shuffling her feet.

               “I think I heard someone’s talking.

               Taemin quickly covered and pulled her into his room in case she decided to disclose the fact that there were people at home. He’s just too tired to deal with them right now, at least not with Minyoung in his house.

               He sat on the edge of the bed, ignoring Minyoung who was standing awkwardly in a boy’s room. Whatever just get awkward and go home, he thought.

               “Please,” Minyoung said softly, the grip on the strap on her bag gets tighter as she speaks. “Please just admit you’re Lee Taemin, I know you are.”

               Taemin didn’t move. Damn you, Key. It must be you who said something. He swallowed a ball of saliva before laughing it off. “I am Lee Taemin, what are you talking?”

               “I know you’re the one from twelve years ago. Why are you lying? Why can’t you admit? Is it such a pain to see me?” she frowned.

               He clenched his teeth, “Fine.”

               Taemin stood up from his bed and went over to her. He cornered her until her back hits the wall and she has no way to go anymore, her bag dropped on the floor near the bed. “Fine,” he said again, in a lower voice, and he captured her lips with his and very roughly, he on it. He kissed like he wanted to revenge, like he wanted her to be only his.

               Minyoung groaned at the pain, she tried to push Taemin away but she can’t fight against a guy’s strength. Taemin pinned her arms on the wall and insert his tongue into when she happened part her lips to take a breath.

               His tongue fight with hers, running over everywhere in as though he wants to claim her and conquer ; she gasped.

               Taemin released her a little but Minyoung didn’t take the chance to escape, instead, she allowed Taemin’s hands to run freely up and down her body.

               But when Taemin’s hand slot into her blouse and run up to tug at her bra, she pushed him away.

               He glared at her, and Minyoung wasn’t sure what she saw in his eyes. It doesn’t look like the eyes of someone who wants to stain her; it looked more like someone who likes her, but she quickly convinced herself that he don’t. She grabbed her bag and went out of his room.

               And when Taemin remembered that there were people outside, he followed out; but he only saw the door being opened with no one outside and no Minyoung in sight.

 

 

When Minyoung entered the flat, Minho jumped up almost immediately from the couch.

               “Where did you go?” he asked in concern, walking to the kitchen wanting to heat up the leftovers for her. But no one answered his question, and the next thing he heard, is the door to Minyoung’s room being slammed.

               Being as overprotective as he can get, he walked over to the door and knocked on it. “Minyoung,” he called out.

               “Minyoung,” he called again and knocked few more times but he didn’t hear no respond, instead, he heard shattering sound. Like a bottle of glass being thrown.

               “Minyoung, open up!” He turned the doorknob few more times as if it would magically opened, and when it does, he dashed in to see Minyoung standing behind the door with a crying face.

               He looked around the room as he spotted a shattered glass bottle with many mini rolled-up papers scattering around.  He sighed, pulling Minyoung into a good warm hug.

 

 

Taemin lay in his bed staring at the ceiling. What have I done?

               His mind was filled with memories from when he was younger. When he first met Minyoung, when he gave her lollipops, when they used to have fun at the playground as though it was their heaven, when suddenly he was told that they had to move, when he suddenly lost someone that he can call his mum.

               When the world suddenly came crashing down on him, and when reality smacked him in the face so ing hard.

               Sighing, he closed his eyes.

               What you did is right, you can’t love her, let her hate you, whatever.

               Funny thing was morning came so quickly when his mind was occupied by thoughts. Taemin blinked, his eyes were getting red from not sleeping the entire night. , he thought. Why would he stay awake for a girl that he hadn’t met for twelve years?

               “Hyung,” he called out when he stepped out of his room, his brother was mopping the floor and not far away, a drunken guy was lying on the couch with his arm hanging off the edge.

               “What the ,” Taemin breathed. “Going to school?” Jinki asked. “Yeah.”

               “Recently you have been going to school quite often, I’m surprised.” Jinki commented with a laugh.

               Is it? He can’t remember.

               “Could it be that you have a girl you like?”

               Taemin almost spit out the water that he gulped down. “Seriously, when I’m drinking?” He coughed.

               Jinki straighten his back and put the mop aside, “You don’t looked bad as my brother, I don’t believe that no one likes you.”

               “The whole school likes me,” Taemin snickered, but I only had eyes for Minyoung, and he mentally slapped himself for thinking about her.

               “Very funny,” Jinki scoffed and took the bucket of water and the mop into the toilet.

 

 

Minho made sure that Minyoung wasn’t around when he entered her room.

               I guess this is the only way to help you. He thought, walking over to the mess that she created last night. Minho looked around for an empty box and when he found it, he grabbed it and put all the little notes into the box.

               Sorry Minyoung, for taking it without your permission.

               “Oppa!”

               Minho’s heart almost stopped when he heard Minyoung’s voice but as lucky as he could be, Minyoung hasn’t done bathing.

               “Coming!” he shouted back, before putting the box into his huge backpack. Big backpack will always come in handy if you have got something to hide.

 

 

When Taemin reached the classroom, he wasn’t sure if he should be glad or disappointed that Minyoung moved a few seats away from him. Luckily today has only one lesson, he shouldn’t even come. He doesn’t even attend full-day lecture why would he come here for an hour lesson? He sighed when his phone vibrated in his back pocket. He took it out and glanced at the text message while walking to his seat.

               Taem, meet me at basketball court now. –Key

               Great, finally he got a chance to vent his anger. Who the hell said that Key can tell Minyoung about anything? He mentally smiled to himself before dumping his bag on the table. When he went out of the class, he took a glance at Minyoung who was flipping her notebook and seemed to be scribbling something. He sighed. This was what he wanted isn’t it, being ignored by Minyoung and never pestered by her again.

               Walking past all the students that were rushing to their classes, he went over to the opposite block where the court was at.

               “Hey!” Minho called out as soon as he spotted Taemin walking over to him but Taemin had a question mark on his head, was he calling out to him?

               “I’m sorry; Key was my junior in middle school so I had him to help me.” Minho walked over to the long-haired lad. “I’m Choi Minho.”

               Taemin glanced at him for a few seconds before giving an awkward smile. Key…

               “I’m Lee—”

               Taemin couldn’t complete his sentence when a fist came punching on his face. His eyes widened when he felt the pain on his cheek. What the ?

               “I’m sorry,” Minho rubbed his knuckles. “I just had to do it; this is for making my sister cry.”

               “Your sister?” Taemin thought for a moment. Choi Minho, Choi Minyoung, ahh.

               “But anyway,” Minho said, taking a box out from his backpack. “Here, this is for you.”

               Taemin stared at him for a moment too long, he couldn’t forget the punch, and he wanted very much to punch him back. “What?” he questioned rudely, taking over the box.

               “I don’t know what’s in it too, but I guess something related to you.” Minho sighed, zipping up his bag and walking away. “Sorry for the punch though,” he yelled when he was a few meters away.

               Taemin rubbed his cheek with one hand and another one holding the box. He lifted it up to his eye-level and glanced at it, nothing seemed special.

 

 

Ever since Taemin walked out from the classroom he never come back in again. Minyoung looked at his bag and at his empty seat, why did he even come if he doesn’t attend the class?

               Sighing, she packed her own things when she heard a little commotion outside her class.

               “You’re from the soccer team!

               “How was the training? I heard there’s a competition coming up right?”

               “Take care of yourself!”

               “You’re so tall and charming!

               Minyoung raised a brow, “Minyoung!” and she saw her brother coming into the classroom with a bunch of girls following and giggling behind him. Oh, so he was the cause of the commotion.

               “I thought you don’t have classes today?” She asked him. This morning when they were having breakfast together he mentioned that his class for today was cancelled.

               “Yeah but I’m here to fetch my dear sister, let’s go out!” Minho said and took his sister’s bag before dragging her out of the classroom, or more like away from this bunch of crazies.

               “Where are we going?” Minyoung asked, turning behind occasionally to see if there were any more people following. “I don’t know. Any movies you want to watch?”

               Minyoung pressed her lips together, was it because of what happened yesterday that her brother was worried about her? “You don’t have to do this,” she said quietly.

               “Do what?” Minho stopped and looked down at her. Minyoung wasn’t looking at him; she was staring down at the ground like it’s the most wonderful thing at that moment. “You know, spending time with me just because I’m upset.”

               “Then am I supposed to let you rot on your own? And I’m not going out with you just because you’re heartbroken.” He let go of her hand and hold onto her shoulders. “Because of my participation in soccer team, I couldn’t spend much time with you. With the upcoming competitions, I doubt I could as well. Now that I’ve the time, I want to spend it with my dearest sister.”

               Minyoung smiled, and she never felt so blessed to have Minho as her brother. Even though her parents weren’t around anymore, Minho did a pretty good job in taking care of her.

               “I’m sorry oppa,” Minyoung pushed his hands away and hooked his arm before continue walking. “By the way, I didn’t know you were quite popular.”

               Minho laughed, “I didn’t know that too.”

               “So what movies you want to watch?”

               “No idea, I don’t even know what movies are available.” Minyoung laughed.

               Who needs Lee Taemin if she has a loving brother?

 

 

 

Author's Note

To be honest the title Loving an Unknown doesn't make sense anymore but I couldn't change it because I love the poster so much and the title is printed on the poster omfg /sobs/ so please just enjoy the storyline.