Epilogue

Loving an Unknown

 

Two years later

It has been two years since the incident. A few days after Taemin was hospitalized; Joon was arrested for attempt murder and just last year, he has been sentenced to jail. Park Hyojin tried to apologize to Jinki for the misdoing of her personal assistant but Jinki didn’t bother to care about her anymore. When Hyojin continue to visit Taemin and finally angered Jinki, her son decided to shout in her face asking her to get out of their lives.

               Minyoung had graduated from school and unlike her brother, instead of pursuing further studies; she decided to find a stable job with stable income. After saying that she wants to get married with Taemin, Minho was the first to disapprove since after all, she was his only sister, and he doesn’t want her to be tied down…with what seemed like a lifeless Taemin. But Minyoung managed to persuade her brother and eventually, she got ‘promoted’ into Mrs. Lee.

               However, thing don’t end that way. Minyoung went for artificial insemination, and Minho said she was desperate and he don’t get why she’s doing such thing. They didn’t talk for a few months after that but Minyoung was lucky, she succeeds on the first try and became pregnant with Taemin’s baby. The first few months of the pregnancy were tough for her because no one was teaching her how to be a mum. Minho, in the end, looked after his sister until the baby was born. It was a girl, Lee Hana; and the guy who seems to object the idea of artificial insemination, was the same guy that dote on his niece the most.

               When Minyoung was pregnant, she still visits Taemin every day, filling him in on what was happening in her life; about her job, colleagues that she doesn’t like, and also the one colleague who likes her and that Taemin should get up and show him who the king is. She laughed at that time, touching her tummy occasionally when she felt Hana’s kicks. Maybe Hana miss Taemin too.

               After Hana was born, they figured that they needed more help in taking care of a baby, so Jinki decided to move in with them and the siblings converted the guest room into a room for Jinki. With Minho busy with his university life, and maybe with a girl that likes him, Jinki on the other hand, was freer. Having enrolled into a private school, Jinki made a decision to continue studies now that he doesn’t have so much on his shoulder anymore.

               As Taemin had mentioned before, Jinki and Minho could be good friends because of the similarity in their childhood and also, being the older siblings. Indeed, the both of them became the best of friends and they felt like they knew each other way before. Minyoung once scoffed at their friendship, about how Minho prefers to tell Jinki things instead of her, but deep in her heart, she was glad that the two could get along well.

               After Hana entered their lives, they were a lot busier, but, they still managed to make time for Taemin. Minyoung would bring Hana to him; using her little hand to touch Taemin’s, hoping that he could wake up and carries his child. Each time Minyoung tried, there was nothing but disappointment.

               When Hana celebrated her first birthday last month, Minyoung cried.  She hugged Hana and cried for hours. Minho and Jinki couldn’t say anything; they just sat there, watching her, feeling equally sad that Taemin wasn’t there. Both Jinki and Minho had already given up hopes that Taemin would wake up. If he will, he would have waked up long ago. Not after two years.

               Jinki especially, it was hard for him to accept the loss and there was once that he said Taemin won’t be waking up anymore. Minyoung gave him a lecture. She scolded him for giving up so easily, it’s just two years, and that Taemin will wake up soon. Jinki knew Minyoung won’t be giving up easily so he did not provoke her further. He will just accept it silently. It was difficult, after losing his father and now, his little brother.

 

 

Jinki carried Hana in one arm and another holding a bouquet of flower. He entered Taemin’s ward, before placing Hana on the chair beside Taemin’s bed and went to replace the withered flower with fresh ones. “Mama…” Hana babbled.

               Jinki was looking at the vase of flower, thinking whether to change the water as he arranged the flowers. “Mama just ended work, she will be coming soon. Be good, Hana.” He hushed the little one.

               Hana looked around the room, as if everything here interests her. In few years’ time, she might not even remember being in this spot. Hana sneezed as she flinched at the sudden cold breeze coming at her but Jinki didn’t notice. Until when Hana felt something on her head, she raised her head. “Mama…” she said again.

               This time, Jinki looked at her, and his eyes widen – Taemin’s hand was on Hana’s head.

               Almost immediately, Jinki went for Taemin, whose eyes seemed to move under the eyelids. “Taem—,” Jinki’s heart started racing. “…Taemin!” He shouted. “Are you—,” he paused; taking a deep breath. “…are you awake? Can you hear me?”

               When Taemin didn’t respond for a full two minutes after that. Jinki hung his head low and sighed. “I knew it, you’re not waking up.” He breathed. Disappointment comes right after expectation, isn’t it?

               Maybe it’s just reflex action. Jinki thought, reaching out to take Taemin’s hand away from Hana’s head. But when Jinki felt like Taemin was grabbing his hand, he paused again. “…Taemin?”

               Minyoung dropped her bag as she stood at the doorway, watching as Jinki grabs Taemin’s hand and looking at him. Something ticked in her mind when she thought that Taemin had reactions, she blinks. “…Jinki oppa?”

               “Mama…” Hana babbled again when she saw her mother. Jinki turned over at her with a relief smile, “look, Taemin’s holding my hand.” He said, showing Minyoung their hands. She sighed, brows knitting together with quivering lips. “Come here, Minyoung,” Jinki gestured for her to come over, and she did, very slowly. Minyoung blinked; reaching out to the man she loves all her life and holding his other hand. “…Taem?” She called out quietly, being careful not to hold any hopes.

               “I’ll get the doctor,” Jinki said, putting down Taemin’s hand and running out of the ward, giving a quick pat on Hana’s hair on his way out.

               Minyoung sat down on Taemin’s bed, she gaze at her lover, reaching out his face with her other hand. “Taemin…Taem, it’s time, isn’t it? Come on, open your eyes.” She whispered. “I’m here, baby, open your eyes and I’m here.” She pressed her lips together to prevent the sob from running out. “…Taemin!” She called louder.

               “Mama…” Hana murmured and Minyoung turned to her daughter with a sad face. I’m sorry Hana; I thought your father is coming back. She closed her eyes and leaned on Taemin’s arm.

               “Pa…” Hana babbled again and this time, Taemin’s hand tightened on Minyoung’s.

               The latter raised her head and stared at their hands laced together. Her eyes widen as she bit her bottom lip. “ you, Taemin.” she blurted restlessly but to her surprise, the corner of Taemin’s lips curved up in a smirk.

               “…You were so sweet before that…”

               …Taemin’s voice.

               It was so hoarse and husky but Minyoung definitely recognizes it.

               Taemin’s eyes slowly opened, it was hard at first, and the ward was so bright. Minyoung used a hand to shield Taemin’s eyes from the lights as he tried to adjust to the brightness. He tiled his head and stared at Minyoung, taking in the new hairstyle and make-up face of his girlfriend. He smiled. “Still as beautiful,” he closed his eyes and opened them slowly again.

 

After the doctor did a check on Taemin, he sat up against the bed frame with a glass of water in his hands. Jinki and Minyoung (carrying Hana) stood around him as they looked at him. “Hyung,” Taemin called, and Jinki gave him a fatherly smile. “That’s…” Taemin asked, pointing a weak finger at the small figure sitting in Minyoung’s arms. “Your daughter,” Jinki answered, putting his hands in his pockets with a relief smile. Taemin, I’m so happy to see you again.

               Minyoung walked over to Taemin and placed Hana on the bed. Hana blinked, staring at the new guy. “Lee Hana,” Minyoung said. “Your father is back, and he’s not leaving anymore.” she said, looking at Taemin.

               Taemin pulled his lips into a weak smile as he opened his arms widely. When Minyoung entered his embrace, he took in the familiar scent of his girl. “I’m sorry.” He murmured. “I love you, Minyoung.”

               Minyoung swallowed.

               “What took you so long?”

 

 

 

Author's note

Thank you whoever is still reading this, it's been so long since I started this fanfic and now I managed to rewrite it with better English (as compared to using singlish and incomplete sentences/weird grammers)

I still have one more incomplete fic which is TTOTMR (please read if interested hehe), I'm not exactly in a mood recently to complete it but hopefully I can finish it asap so maybe I can start on new fic.....not. I guess I won't be having anymore new fics but instead just short stories like maybe one-shot or something. Life has been pretty bad for me but I guess I should start to cherish what I have and stop being so negative.

Whoever is reading this, thank you.

Whoever always leave comments, thank you.

Take care people, drink more water and have positive mindset always, and most importantly stay healthy. It's emiz signing off the end of Loving an Unknown.