chapter X | You like your sons to hate you?

Loving an Unknown

 

Taemin sat in the living room, with his eyebrows down and together, and nostrils flaring.

               “What was that?” He asked, clasping his hands together as he leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. Jinki’s face was glazed as he walked to his room after slamming the front door shut. “Pack up, I told Uncle Heehae to give us an hour, and that’s all you’ve got.”

               Taemin stood up immediately, “Hyung!” he raised his voice, but his brother already locked himself up in his room.

 

“Jinki already told me about it.” Hyojin smiled, putting one of her hand on Jinki’s shoulder and another on Taemin’s shoulder.

               Taemin took a glimpse at her hand, and Hyojin removed it following his glare.

               “We are finally going to live together now.” She smiled. “I prepared two rooms for the two of you. It’s at the second floor, who wants to take a look?” she beamed broadly.

               Taemin heaved an audible sigh; he turned his head to look at a corner because he doesn’t want to face her. Jinki glanced at him, blinking and swallowing before looking at their mother.

               “It’s okay; we still have yet to pack. I think we have to go home and pack first.” Jinki said.

               “Sure, I’ll ask Heehae to drive you there.” Hyojin looked at the butler standing behind them, “I’ll leave my sons in your hands then.”

               Heehae bowed at them with a smile.

 

Taemin stood at his doorway, the room that Hyojin said was his.

               It was painted in navy-blue and decorated with white furniture. He sighed, throwing his big bag (that contained all his clothing) on the king-sized bed before slamming himself on it. There’s a flat screen TV mounted on the wall right in front of the bed and he looked around for the remote.

               Been so long since I last watched TV, the TV at home wasn’t working quite well.

               He turned the TV on after grabbing the remote from his bedside table before searching for his phone in his pocket.

               “Hey Minyoung,” Taemin smiled right after Minyoung answered the call. “Hey Taem, you’re at your new house already?” Minyoung asked. Just now when Taemin went home to pack, he had already texted his girlfriend on what’s happening.

               “Apparently, yeah,” Taemin sighed, thinking of whether moving here is a good decision. But then again, his brother was the one who made the decision. “Anyway, I’ll fetch you tomorrow in the morning. Wait me, okay?” he smiled at the thought of Minyoung waiting for him at her doorstep, and going to school together.

               “Of course, I’ll be waiting.” Taemin could feel Minyoung smiling into the phone. After ending the call, Taemin felt like his heart had calmed down a lot. He smiled at his phone screen, with the photo of Minyoung’s derp face as his wallpaper, as expected from his girlfriend, having the healing effect on him.

               Taemin stood up from his bed as he looked around the room. Raising a brow, he walked to a white door that led to the toilet. Oh, a toilet in my own room, impressive.

               “How impressive can it be what the , Lee Taemin? You really sound like a beggar who has never live before in a mansion.” He mumbled to himself as he pours out whatever there is in his big bag before grabbing a pair of pants and tank top.

               Well, let’s just have a good shower and good sleep, and I’m good to meet Minyoung in the morning later.

 

 

Minhyun slammed his hand on the table and that startled Donghae who was cutting up a sausage in his plate. “I got it.” His father said into the phone and hung up the call.

               “Lee Jaehyun’s dead.” He said through gritted teeth. “Just when I thought I could shame him using the evidence. He died.”

               Donghae raised a brow; continue eating his breakfast before he goes to school. Minhyun looked at his son who didn’t respond, he slammed the table again.

               “What??” Donghae jumped, he frowned at his father. “It’s not my fault that he died.” He scoffed. “Why isn’t anything on the news yet? Did you really bring it to the publishing agency?” Minhyun asked with a deep frown, leaning in to his son who was still eating.

               “Yeah, of course I did.” Donghae said, puffing his cheeks up as he glanced at his father.

 

 

When Taemin came downstairs, Hyojin, Jinki, Joon and Heehae were already at the dining table.

               “Morning, Taeminnie.” Hyojin smiled, and Joon asked the kitchen staff to prepare one more set of breakfast. Jinki didn’t look up; he had his head down at his plate of food with a fork in his right and knife in his left. And Taemin noticed that his brother hasn’t been talking to him since yesterday.

               “Taemin,” Taemin corrected her again, he sighed, throwing his school bag aside and pulling out a chair for himself. He sat opposite Jinki. “Morning hyung,” Taemin said, crossing his arms and glancing at Jinki. His brother looked up and met his gaze, “Morning.” He said quietly before hanging his head low again.

               Hyojin pressed his lips together at the awkward interaction between the two. She clasped her hands together and looked at Taemin. “Do you know? Jinki is coming to my office today. He will be working in Han’s Co.” She beamed.

               One of the servants brought a plate of breakfast and set it down in front of Taemin. “Is that so?” He questioned, picking up his utensils and still, staring at his brother.

               Jinki looked up again, “Yeah.” He said, putting down his utensils. “I’m full, I’ll go up and prepare.” He said to Hyojin with a small smile before leaving his seat.

               Taemin was staring at his brother the entire time, and he rolled his eyes when Jinki left. Why does it seem like Jinki is avoiding him?

               “I’m full,” Taemin said, standing up and walking over to where he dropped his bag. “But you haven’t eat—,”

               “I’m leaving,” he said, walking over to the front door. “Wait, Taemin!” Hyojin called out as she took an envelope from Joon, “Today will be your last day in that school. I did a transfer for you and you will be—,”

               “…You what?” Taemin turned and walked back to the dining table. “You transfer me out of my school on your own wish?” he asked with a frown. “Isn’t it basic courtesy to ask me first because I AM THE ONE studying?” Taemin questioned fiercely before snatching the envelope out of her hand. He quickly scanned through the letter. “I see, so the high school I’m in right now makes you lose face? You’ve to transfer me to a better school?”

               “Taemin, you can’t talk to your mum like this,” Joon interrupted as he stood up from his seat. Taemin diverted his attention from the lady to Joon. “I’m sorry, you’re?”

               Joon swallowed, and his father quickly urged him to sit down and mind his own business.

               Hyojin blinked as she bit her lips, she thought that Taemin would be happy to be studying in a better school with a better environment. But she forgot that her little son doesn’t like her, including her arrangement of things.

               “Ms. Park, do you really like your son to detest you?” Taemin narrowed his eyes at the lady in front of him, and he sneered before leaving.

 

 

“Taemin!”

               Minyoung grinned as soon as she caught Taemin standing at her doorstep. She smiled, handing him the extra sandwich that she made just now. “Hope you haven’t eaten breakfast.”

               Taemin’s face broke into a smile, “Even if I did, I would still eat.” And he took over the sandwich. It’s so much better than the plate of breakfast he saw this morning.

               “How is your new house?” Minyoung asked, hooking her hand on Taemin’s arm as they walked to the bus stop. “Big…cold…and lonely.”

               “And my brother…he hasn’t been looking at me since yesterday. It was like he’s trying to avoid me.” Taemin sighed.

               “Give him a bit of time, I guess Jinki oppa is having a hard time too.” Minyoung leaned on Taemin’s shoulder, and Taemin sniffed the top of her head. “Umm,” he answered, planting a kiss there.

 

“Wow, sweet, sweet couple,” Donghae whistled upon seeing the couple walking into the class. Taemin scoffed and Minyoung rolled her eyes. “I thought you were going to melt and evaporate, you’re such an eyesore.” Minyoung recalled the time Donghae said he’s going to melt at their sweetness. Taemin laughed.

               “Oh. Nice hair, Taemin.” Donghae said, turning over and looking at Taemin who was now in his seat. He chuckled, turning to Minyoung. “You said something?”

               “Yeah,” Minyoung rolled her eyes again. “I said you’re an eyesore.”

               Donghae shrugged, “I said I like you, so I’ll accept whatever comments you made.” He smiled. Whatever, I’m the best-looking guy in my previous school. You just don’t get it.

               “Hey Lee Taemin,” he started again. “I heard your dad is dead.”

               Taemin flinched.

               “But it is fine, if the photos can’t shame him, it shall shame you.” Donghae smirked, and Minyoung heaved a sigh of relief when the homeroom teacher comes in.

               Who knows what Taemin is going to argue back? But Minyoung knows that if Taemin were to fight back, not even the homeroom teacher is going to stop him.

               “Oh Lee Taemin, you’re early today.” Ms. Kim said as she looked through the attendance list.

               “So are you going to scold me for coming early?” Taemin raised a brow.

               “What? Do you speak like that to your teacher?”

               “Do you speak like that to your student?” Taemin retorted.

               Minyoung sighed.

 

 

Jinki sat in the conference room as he waited for his mum to come in with the rest of the employees. He adjusted his blazer.

               I wonder if Taemin is mad at me for making this decision.

               The shuffling of feet makes Jinki straighten his back. I hope Taemin won’t hate me.

               “Today, I’ll bring in a new person. He’s my son and he is going to be trained to be the next in charge.” Hyojin stood beside Jinki’s seat and gladly introduced Jinki to the rest of them, all of them clapped in response. Jinki stood up with a smile as Hyojin walked to her seat.

               “Hi everyone, nice meeting all of you, my name is Lee—,”

               “—Onew Park.” Hyojin interrupted. Jinki raised a brow as he snapped his head at his mum, “What?” he squinted.

               “Onew Park, the new member of Han’s Co,” Hyojin ignored Jinki, she beamed.

               “Wait,” Jinki raised his voice. He looked at all of the faces as he cleared his throat. He doesn’t want to raise his voice at his own mother in front of so many people. “Sorry, can I have a talk with you?” he asked quietly.

               Joon blinked as he immediately dismissed the other people, leaving the room only the three of them.

               “What’s with the name?” Jinki questioned, clenching his fists. Hyojin sat straight in her seat with Joon standing next to her. She pushed her glasses up. “Working in a multinational corporation requires an English name so that people could remember you easily.” She said as a matter-of-factly.

               “Then what about my last name? The last time I checked, my father’s last name was Lee.” Jinki gritted his teeth as he swallowed.

               “And the last time I checked, your father is dead.” Hyojin argued. “You’re my son now, isn’t it right for you to follow my last name?”

               Jinki sighed; he looked away from her as he sneered. “Maybe it was wrong of me to make this decision. I finally understood why up till now, Taemin still hates you so much.”

               Joon watched as Jinki leaves the conference room with a slam on the door, he turned and looked at Hyojin who sighed in defeat. “One after another,” Hyojin took off her glasses and put it on the table. “Did I really fail as a mother?” she covered her face with her hands.

               Joon sighed, he squatted down and spun Hyojin’s chair around to face him. “You’re doing this for them. You’re not a bad mum, okay?” he said, patting on her head.

               Hyojin nodded, leaning on Joon’s shoulder. It has been three years since Joon worked with her and she knows that the young man has a thing for her, if she needed someone to embrace her, why not?

                Joon patted on her back, eyes glaring at the door as he gritted his teeth. No one treats his boss like this, no one. Not even her sons. Life was good before the two Lees join in the picture. Why must they appear?

 

 

Today’s lesson was short so it ended even before noon. When the couple reached Minyoung’s house, Minho wasn’t home, so they decided to have a simple lunch before going up to her room for homework.

               Homework, what’s homework?

               So when Minyoung took books out from her bag, Taemin grabbed her from the back and fell back on the bed. “Hey!” Minyoung laughed, earning a kiss from him. “I don’t like doing homework. Can’t we do other things?” Taemin puffed his cheeks as he hugged her, staring up at the ceiling and inhaling the familiar scent.

               “Like what?” Minyoung turned around to face him, and Taemin raised a brow. “Like…what we did in the kitchen the other time…?” he whispered, having a small smirk on his lips. “What?” She half blushed and half laughing at her boyfriend, slapping him lightly on his chest with her hands, before Taemin pulled her closer and gazed into her eyes.

               The both of them smiled, happy to be in each other’s arms. Taemin ran his fingertips up her forearm, before bringing his hand up to cup her cheek. His thumb running along the curve of her cheekbone and Minyoung nestled into his hand. “You are so beautiful,” Taemin mouthed, eyes still locked on hers. Minyoung smiled, closing her eyes as she turned her head and kissed Taemin’s palm. He bit his inner lip, and leaned in for a kiss when Minyoung faced him again.

               The kiss was slow, but it was filled with hunger they had for each other. Even though they had kissed before but each time they kissed, it always felt like the first.

               Minyoung had always love the kisses that Taemin gave her; on her forehead, temple, the top of her head or anywhere on her body. But the one she loves most was Taemin’s wet kiss. When he kisses her, he was really focused and intense, and it was alluring for Minyoung.

               The way his hands roam on her body, making open and eyes closed. Making her breathes faster until she felt dizzy, making her feels like she could melt and be part of him.

               Taemin went on top of her, leaving her lips and going down on her neck. He trailed kisses from her neck down to her collarbone, and Minyoung tilted her head up for him. His arms wrapped around her frame, pressing himself on her but making sure he wasn’t suffocating her.

               He paused and stared into her eyes for a few seconds. “I love you,” he breathed, and when he went for her lips again, it was more familiar than the first time. He her lips, pushing his tongue into and tangled with hers. His mind was swirling.

 

 

Jinki dragged his feet up the worn-out stairs. It has only been a day that he wasn’t here but the path back home seemed so unfamiliar. He sighed, with a hand holding his blazer and another in his pants pocket.

               He stood before the filthy door that used to be splashed with paint and scribbled with offensive wordings; the door that the brothers have been cleaning every now and then for the past ten years. He unlocked the door and entered it, what greeted him was silence and loneliness.

               He threw the blazer on the couch as he plopped down beside it. It was a rough day, but he didn’t even do anything. He was mentally drained and tired, especially dressed in a business shirt and formal pants that he doesn’t like. Jinki ed his second and third button, revealing a little of his toned chest. He inhaled deeply, closing his eyes and leaning his head back on the couch.

               He had decided not to return tonight, and he mentally made a note to text Taemin later on his decision. Adding an English name was fine but changing his last name was something Jinki won’t accept, especially when they does it without his permission. Jinki grunted, and his head was starting to hurt. He thought that life would be easier with their mother around looking after things; he thought that he could finally rest. But apparently, maybe they will be better off without Hyojin.

               The house was pin-drop silence and if there were any movements or noises, Jinki would find out immediately. That’s why, when the familiar creaking sound of their front door opening echoed, Jinki’s eyes snapped open.

               …Taemin?

               But the one who appeared caught Jinki off guard, he stood up almost immediately. “…Joon…?” he raised a brow, remembering that he did close and lock the door after coming in. “Why are you here?” Jinki asked.

               And it took him a while to notice Joon was dressed differently from when he last saw him. He looked at him, dressed in black leather jacket and jeans with a hand holding a motorcycle helmet. Jinki walked up to him, whom was still standing still at the doorway staring at him.

               “You ride?” Jinki asked curiously, taking an interest in his helmet, until Joon raised his hand, using the helmet to hit him on the head. Jinki fell on the ground with a loud thud, he remembered telling himself that he was alright but his body doesn’t respond. He watched as Joon’s sneakers got out from his sight, before he passed out.