chapter V | She wants them back

Loving an Unknown

 

“I’ll tell Taemin when I’ve got the chance.” Minyoung said, leaving the café with Key.

              “Yup sure,” Key smiled. “So I’ll go for now, see you tomorrow, Minyoung.”

              After Minyoung bid goodbye, she walked down the path towards her house. “…Taemin?” She squinted at the slender figure at the opposite street. Is that Taemin?

              “Taemin!” She shouted across the road, but failed to get his attention. She looked left and right, before running across the road and catch up to the young lad. “Taemin!”

              “Hey!” She slapped him on the shoulder and the long-haired lad flinched. “I was shouting for you since just now, didn’t you hear me?”

              Taemin blinked, looking at the opposite before looking back at the girl in front of him. “I’m sorry, I didn’t hear it.”

              “Why are you here? I thought you went home?” Minyoung slotted her hand into Taemin’s hand, and Taemin held it tightly. “I came out again.”

              “Is something wrong?” Minyoung asked, wrapping her hand around his arm. “Yeah—,”

              “Lee Taemin.”

              Both of them looked up to see a guy in suit standing before them. “You again,” Taemin tilted his head.

              “Because boss asked me to take you home, that’s why I’m here.”

              What is going on? Minyoung glanced at the guy in suit and at Taemin who doesn’t looked too happy.

              Sighing, Taemin pulled Minyoung and brushed past the guy’s shoulder. “Save your breath and effort, I’ll never…never go back to her.”

              When Minyoung and Taemin reached Minyoung’s house, he sighed. “We are here, go in.” he mumbled.

              “Taemin…” Minyoung frowned, turning her body and facing him. “Please, tell me something.”

              Taemin gazed at her, reaching out for her left cheek with his right palm. “I’m sorry.”

              Minyoung shook her head, placing her hand over his that was on her face. “I don’t want to hear sorry…Taem…I’m your girlfriend but you’re acting hot and cold towards me. I don’t know what to do.”

              Taemin lowered his head as he dropped his hand from her face before putting his arms around her. “I’m sorry,” he said again. “I will tell you.”

              Minyoung closed her eyes, hugging Taemin and inhaling his scent.

              I want you to tell me everything about you.

 

“Oppa, Taemin is here.” Minyoung said, removing her shoes and pulling Taemin into the house after he removed his sneakers. He smiled, “Minho hyung.”

              “Hey Taemin, I’m cooking later, staying for dinner?” Minho asked, fondling with the remote control in his hand. “Why not?” Taemin grinned.

              “News today, the manager of Han’s Co, Narsha Park, admitted that she has two other sons before she got married into Han’s…

              “Oh dear,” Minho raised a brow, “She looked so young, doesn’t look like one with two sons.”

              Taemin swallowed a ball of saliva, his dried lips as he waited for Minyoung. “Oppa, we will be in my room.” She smiled, tugging on Taemin’s arm and pulling him away.

              When Minyoung opened the door to her room, the smell of lavender infused into Taemin’s nose. He laughed, “This totally smelled like you.”

              “What?” Minyoung chuckled, putting her bag on the study table.

              Taemin smiled, dumping his bag near the door and walking into the room, examining every corner of it because it’s the room of the girl he loved the most, the room that she stayed in every day and night.

              “I like your room,” Taemin said as he slammed himself against the bed and stared at the grey ceiling. “Really? I’m glad.” She grinned.

              “Come here,” Taemin gestured, and Minyoung obediently go to him, laying her head on his arm. “Where should I start,” he chuckled.

              “What about after meeting me?” Minyoung suggested, playing with her hair while lying comfortably in Taemin’s arms.

             “After meeting you for a year…” Taemin started, “My mum left. She wanted a divorce with my dad because he wasn’t rich enough for her. I was only seven and my brother was only nine.”

             “You had a brother?” Minyoung raised one of her brows, looking up at Taemin who immediately had an apologetic look, “Yeah sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. His name is Jinki.”

             “After that, my dad couldn’t handle the loss of his love, he had depression at that time and the stakeholders were so mad at him that they chased my dad out of the company and requested for him to be declared bankruptcy.” Taemin continued with a sigh.

             “We left our mansion. A depression father and two young sons, we found ourselves in a small old flat. My brother started finding part-time, whatever he can do, he will do. He makes sure that my dad and I have clothes to wear, and we won’t go starve.”

             Minyoung nodded, placing one of her hand on Taemin’s chest and tapping it occasionally.

             “As years goes by, my dad’s depression gets better. He became addicted to gambling and drinking and that’s when our lives get harder because each time, there will be moneylenders coming.”

             “When I was thirteen, I met Henry. He took him with me to the café for interview and that’s how I got a job. Until today, my brother and I were still earning our off to pay our father’s debt.”

             Taemin smiled, raising his hand and curled the end of Minyoung’s brown locks. “But even after all the troubles he gave, I won’t hate my father. Because I know he was the one who didn’t abandon us.”

             “But now,” he paused, swallowing a lump of saliva. “She came back.”

             “Your mum?” Minyoung asked.

             “She’s not my mum. I won’t acknowledge her. Never.”

             “The guy just now, he’s someone from her side and he said he was there to bring us back to her. The worse thing is, my dad agreed for us to go back.”

             “Park Hyojin,” Taemin muttered under his breath, “That woman you saw on T.V just now.”

             Minyoung’s eyes widen in shock but she quickly composed herself. “She’s your m—,”

             “Apparently, yes,” Taemin cut her sentence off and rolled over on top of Minyoung, giving her a wide smile. “And that’s my past.”

             Minyoung beamed. “Are you satisfied with my explanation, Mrs. Lee?” Taemin cracks up at the end of his question.

             “Who is Mrs. Lee!” She laughed, hitting Taemin’s chest with her fists. Taemin grinned, feeling satisfied and happy that he told Minyoung about his past. “I’m so tired,” he said, rolling on his back and holding Minyoung close by her waist as he closed his eyes.

             Minyoung smiled, reaching out for his face and run her hand down his cheek. “Then rest well, my young master.”

 

 

“Boss.”

             “Joon! Have you seen Lee Taemin? Did you tell him that Jaehyun agreed for them to come back? When is Taeminnie coming back?” Hyojin asked with excitement, dropping whatever was on her hands and glanced at her assistant.

             “Boss…” Lee Joon lowered his head as he walked towards her. “I’m sorry,” he bowed, “I didn’t manage to bring him back.”

             Hyojin’s blinked, followed by a small smile playing on her lips. “It’s okay. If I were them, I would probably not go back to the mother who abandoned them…” she sighed.

             “Boss…” Joon pressed his lips together, blaming himself for not bringing her sons back; he could have done a better job.

             She must have missed them so much, so much that she was willing to expose them to the media.

             “I’ll find a time and find them personally.” Hyojin said, “Thanks, Joon.” She smiled.

 

 

When Minho finished cooking and went up to Minyoung’s room, he let out a fatherly smile at the scene as he popped his head in the room. Taemin was holding Minyoung closely to him as they both fall asleep.

             “Hey, dinner’s ready.” He said, and almost immediately, the two younger ones shot up from the bed with Taemin scratching the back of his head in embarrassment, and Minyoung turning fifty shades of red.

             “What’s with the both of you?” the older one asked, holding in his laughter when he noticed that the two younger ones were very awkward.

             Taemin raised his head, giving the older one a smile before forcing a spoonful of rice in his mouth. He felt awkward to be seen by Minho for holding Minyoung that tightly. After all, he knew Minho was an over-protective brother to Minyoung.

             Of course he knew, he got punched in the face for making her cried the other time.

              “Relax, I’m open, okay?” Minho finally burst into laughter, and Minyoung felt so embarrassed that she wished there was a big hole right beside her so that she could jump in.

             Oppa…I hate you.

             

“Taemin.”

             Minho called out, gesturing Taemin to the living room after he took two cans of drink. After dinner, Taemin volunteered to wash the plates while Minyoung went for a shower.

             “Here,” the older one gave Taemin one of the cans in his hands. “Thanks.”

             “I’m sorry, for just—,”

             Taemin was cut off by Minho’s hand when he raised it to stop Taemin from speaking, “I said it’s okay. “

             “Moreover, it’s been long since I saw a genuine smile on my sister’s face. Just now, she was smiling in her sleep, in your arms.” Minho said with a smile. “I want to thank you instead, Taemin. Though I don’t know you well, but you can bring happiness to my sister. I’m grateful.”

             Taemin heaved a sigh of relief, before taking a sip off his drink. “It’s not easy to bring up Minyoung on your own, right?”

             “Well,” Minho raised his brow. “She was sent to the U.S two years after our parents died. I didn’t really have a chance to grow up with her.”

             Taemin nodded, “I see.”

             “It’s a pity. We were only left with each other but still, we were so far apart.” Minho sighed.

             Taemin lowered his head, every family indeed have their own problems

             “I have an older brother, Lee Jinki, two year older than me.” Taemin said, “Both of you are quite similar, I think you two could be good friends.” He chuckled.

             “You think so?” Minho smiled, “I would love to meet him someday.”

             “You will.”

             Taemin took a glance at the wall clock, “It’s late. I should get going.” He stood up and looked towards the bathroom. “Aren’t you waiting for Minyoung to come out first?”

             “It’s okay; I’ll see her in school tomorrow.”

             Minho raised a brow as he stood up. “Okay then, see you around too.”

             Taemin lightly bowed, “Thanks for the dinner, Minho hyung.”

             The older one nodded with a smile, and just when Minho closed the door, the bathroom door opened.

             “Taemin left?” Minyoung asked, wiping her wet hair with the towel hanging on her neck. “Umm-hmm,” her brother walked to the kitchen.

             “I like that guy, you know. Lee Taemin.” Minho said aloud.

             “Is it?” Minyoung grinned, walking over to her brother and hugged on his arm. “I like him too.”

 

 

The house was pitch-black when Taemin woke up in the early morning, he sighed, didn’t even bother to on the lights as he walked past Jinki’s room, heading to the kitchen. His father wasn’t in sight either; maybe he was out the entire night.

             But he stopped, walking backwards to his brother’s room and popping his head in, “Hyung?” He called quietly, pushing the door opened only to find Jinki sleeping soundly on his bed hugging an old bolster. He must be tired.

             Taemin scratched his head. Yesterday night when he came back, he was so tired that he falls asleep on his bed without bathing. But thinking about washing his long hair, he flinched, making a mental note to trim it soon.

             Damn, so cold. He jerked slightly at the cold breeze that blew against him after coming out from the bathroom. The heater was spoiled recently and they’ve been bathing cold water for the past few days. He sighed; I've to work harder to get a new heater ASAP.

             Taemin walked back to his room, grabbing a top and smelling it before putting it on, making sure that it doesn’t smell unpleasant. Smiling, he went for his phone.

             Babe, see you in school today. I won’t be late ;)

              He grinned. “Taemin.”

             “Oh, hyung,” Taemin looked up from his phone and saw Jinki leaning against his door with a grumpy look. “Breakfast?”

             “Nah hyung, you should go rest more.” Taemin sighed, standing up from his bed and pushing Jinki back to his room. “I’ll eat on my own, don’t worry about me.”

             Jinki yawned, nodding his head as he fall back to sleep faster than he thought.

             “JINKI…”

             Taemin was still in his brother’s room until a loud voice echoed around the house, followed by a lot of noises that sounded like things were being knocked over. He quickly went out of the room, only to find his father whirling around in the living room with a hand holding a beer bottle.

             “What the ,” Taemin cursed under his breath as he went over and closed the front door that Jaehyun left it ajar.

             He cursed, placing both his hands on his hips as he glared at the figure that has already fallen on the couch and sound asleep. Sighing, he took the bottle of beer away from Jaehyun’s hand and put it in the fridge.

             What a morning.

             Taemin took a glance at the window, realizing that the sky wasn’t dark anymore and Sun had raises. He tilted his head at the wall clock. Maybe he should leave house early to grab some food on the way. After all, he told Minyoung that he won’t be late for school today.

             “Taeminnie…” was the first thing Taemin heard when he opened the door; he flinched, turning around to see a woman standing right behind him.

             Almost immediately, he closed the door behind him, making sure that no one heard that.

             “Why in the world are you here??” He asked agitated but not raising his voice at the woman he used to call his ‘mum’.

             “I’m here to see you…please Taeminnie, give mum a chance to expla—,”

             “Please, Mrs. Han, leave me alone.” Taemin gritted his teeth, cutting her sentence off. “Don’t look us up anymore.”

             Hyojin stood in her position and watched as Taemin went down the stairs. She was there so early in the morning and she wasn’t going to leave just as that.

             “Taemin!” She chased after him, clicking her heels behind his back and it kind of irked him. “What do you want?” He stopped abruptly and turned back, causing her to lose her balance and fall into her son’s arms.

             Taemin quickly grabbed her before she could fall, making sure that she stood upright before releasing his grip. If you can’t walk in heels, don’t wear one.

             “Sorry,” Hyojin said. “Please, son, let me just speak to you.”

              “You will be a burden to me…will you want that to happen? Taeminnie?” tears began to form at the back of Taemin’s eyes.

             “No,” Taemin bit his inner lip, “Do I know you?” his expression turned dark and threatening, so much that Hyojin dare not speak a word or approach him anymore. Taemin walked off.

             “Taemin,” Hyojin said aloud, enough for Taemin to hear now that he was a few feet away.

             “I’ll help your dad with his debts.” She said, and that made Taemin stopped in his tracks.

 

 

When Minho and Minyoung reached school, Minho ruffled her hair before biding goodbye.

             Minyoung took out her phone from her bag, smiling from the text that she received from Taemin this morning. It was nice, waking up to a text from your boyfriend in the early morning. So early, she thought as she looked at the time it was received, 05:23.

             She smiled again; quickening her pace thinking that Taemin should be in class by now since he woke up that early.

             But no.

             When she reached the class, it was 08:27 and class will start at 08:30 sharp. She scoffed, thinking that Taemin will be late again.

 

 

“What do you want to say?”

             Hyojin and Taemin went to a restaurant and Hyojin ordered breakfast deluxe for the both of them. “I haven’t eaten anything since morning, I’m starving,” Hyojin said with a smile, thanking the staff for their service.

             “Thank you,” Taemin said quietly when the waiter placed a big plate of food in front of him.

             It’s been so long since Taemin ate in a restaurant. Hell, it’s been ten years.

             He sighed, staring at the food and at the woman before him.

             “Why aren’t you eating?” Hyojin asked, pointing to the French toast. “This restaurant serves the best French toast in town.”

             Taemin swallowed, “Get straight to the point, I’m running late for school.”

             Hyojin flinched.

             Taemin sighed, “Mrs. Han.”

             “My husband passed away. Narsha Park is my name now.” She said, putting down her utensils and wiping her lips gently with a napkin.

             “Taeminnie.”

             “Taemin,” Taemin corrected her. “I’m no longer the little boy you used to know.”

             Hyojin swallowed the lump that has quietly formed at the back of . “Taemin…”

             “How are you and your brother?”

             Taemin snickered, “Is that what you want to ask?”

             She blinked, pressing her lips together. “I want the two of you back by my side.” She said without hesitant.

             “If the both of you come back, I will clear off your dad’s debts, and I’ll give him a lump sum of money that is more than enough for the rest of his life.”

             Taemin bit his inner lip, staring right into Hyojin’s eyes.

 

 

Taemin didn’t go to the school after the conversation with Hyojin. Instead, he wandered around the street, thinking about her words.

             She blinked, pressing her lips together. “I want the two of you back by my side.” She said without hesitant.

             It wasn’t long before Taemin realized he was standing before the door that seemed so familiar to him, accompanied by freshly splashed red paint that was still dripping wet. His eyes widen.

             Sighing, he suddenly felt a wave of tiredness spread all over him. He wanted to end this kind of life, this kind of pathetic life. Suddenly, the door opened, revealing his brother with a hand carrying a pail of water with a towel hanging on the edge of the pail.

             “Taemin? Aren’t you in school?” Jinki asked, shoving Taemin out of the way as he carried the pail outside.

             “I…” Taemin sighed.

             “If the both of you come back, I will clear off your dad’s debts, and I’ll give him a lump sum of money that is more than enough for the rest of his life.”

             Taemin popped his head in the living room, “Where’s dad?” He asked. The last time he checked, his dad was sleeping in the living room. “In his room, I guess.” Jinki said, wetting the towel and squeezing it dry.

             When Taemin finally removed his shoes and walked into the apartment, Jinki called out to him.

             “You decided to go back to that woman?” Jinki questioned, eyes not looking at his brother. “Mum’s favorite perfume didn’t change even after so many years.”

             Finally, Jinki tilted his head and came eye to eye with Taemin.

             “You met her, didn’t you?”